Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I dont have yesterdays numbers to hand but I dont think there's that many.

Pretty sure its fairly close for the last few days, could be about 20 or so out. Open to correction on that though, the numbers are on my laptop

94 yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Strange increase on less tests, there’s no backlog as far as I know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

157 postive swabs from 6758 tests

Not great from a positivity percentage point of view

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Absolutely massive, we need a new game plan, this isn't working and it's going to get worse when the schools open. Best possible outcome is FF say they've made a mistake and say they can't haddle it and let FG have another go at it.

Not sure what a "new game plan" would do. Yeah in that case your looking at an election.

But anyway,

Based on yesterday's testing data theres a hell of alot of testing going on which is a good thing, hunt it out and target the settings that need testing

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/integrated-information-service-testing-and-contact-tracing-dashboard-21-august-2020.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Private sector?

We have to be really good at something to get out of this.

SD for two years while other countries such as China austrailia Vietnam New Zealand can go back to normal except for putting out little fires from time to time. Its very depressing how reactionary and behind the curve most of Europe is in this and we are very much average in the class in Europe on this. Alot of govt/civil servants going on holidays in August and Paul Reid admitting he had dismantled some of the testing infrasture to save taxpayers money. Total spin to be honest and very conservative and reactionary.

Those countries you mention are not " back to normal ".

And as for the private sector testing?
    Who will pay for that on top of public Covid tests ?
    I could see Joe Public paying for 1 or 2 tests but rapidly getting fed up of it soon enough .

Maybe some corporations will send their staff for testing and pay for it ?
    But as Mandrake has said these tests only pick up those already sick so it is a lot of money spent on something which is closing a door after the horse is already bolted.

Asymptomatic people who can be spreading needs to be picked up as it has been in the last few weeks.
    I would like money being put into more funding for our present test and trace system so it can be speeded up .
    Then we might be able to get " back to normal ", if that is possible without a vaccine , sooner .

What has contact tracing got to do with laboratory testing. They're two separate services.

GP was pointing out in delays of getting test results back. Patient had symptoms for over a week before results came back. Testing is not of massive benefit if it is slow and hence not followed up with timely tracing, hence the phrase "testing and tracing" . You can't trace without efficient testing. The general public would not see at as "two separate services". You get tested in order to trace the spread, its really to help others and not really about yourself. Am I wrong on this, I don't follow your logic at all re: above?

The fact that cases don’t seem to be increasing exponentially isnt a bad sign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Not sure if posted but we did well to keep prisoners safe for this long

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0822/1160673-ireland-coronavirus/

EDIT: Silly me just reading the headline. Prisoner was in quarantine and the only contact was with staff, who would have been wearing PPE
    mloc123 wrote: »
    Not great from a positivity percentage point of view

Am I right in saying it’s about 2.3%?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Absolutely massive, we need a new game plan, this isn't working and it's going to get worse when the schools open. Best possible outcome is FF say they've made a mistake and say they can't haddle it and let FG have another go at it.

What policy change do you think FG would make? As far as I can gather, Leo wants to loosen the restrictions further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Strange increase on less tests, there’s no backlog as far as I know

Why do you say it is strange?
    Is most of it not focussed on clusters and contacts?
    It is possible you know that cases are genuinely starting to increase now .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

The fact that cases don’t seem to be increasing exponentially isnt a bad sign

They have been pretty stable over the last couple of weeks. It would be nice to see them start falling again though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

MadYaker wrote: »

Yup, they’re posted each night about 10-11pm on the site. Wish I’d spreadsheeted them as they come out, there is useful info in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

It seems a bit odd that yesterday there was a huge amount of tests with relatively few positive results while today there was a much smaller amount of tests with a lot more positive results. Wonder what the story is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

MadYaker wrote: »

Didnt know that either. Impressive document

• Advertisement

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Those countries you mention are not " back to normal ".

And as for the private sector testing?
    Who will pay for that on top of public Covid tests ?
    I could see Joe Public paying for 1 or 2 tests but rapidly getting fed up of it soon enough .

Maybe some corporations will send their staff for testing and pay for it ?
    But as Mandrake has said these tests only pick up those already sick so it is a lot of money spent on something which is closing a door after the horse is already bolted.

Asymptomatic people who can be spreading needs to be picked up as it has been in the last few weeks.
    I would like money being put into more funding for our present test and trace system so it can be speeded up .
    Then we might be able to get " back to normal ", if that is possible without a vaccine , sooner .

I don't really care were the money is spent on testing. More needs to be spent on this to open up society. That is clear. For Paul Reid to say he dismantled some testing infrastructure over the summer to save tax payers money seemed extremely odd. Something Fergal Bowers picked up as very unusual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I get why someone or more than one would be anti lockdown but anti mask as well on top of that. Surely if your were anti lockdown you would be for measures and precautions to slow the spread of the virus and mask wearing would be part of that. The only thing I can see is that people who went out marching on an anti lockdown and anti mask march badly want to see disease spread around the population of Ireland. They are the real curtain twitchers who badly want to see their neighbours drop dead with disease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭seanb85

owlbethere wrote: »
    I get why someone or more than one would be anti lockdown but anti mask as well on top of that. Surely if your were anti lockdown would be for measures and precautions to slow the spread of the virus and mask wearing would be part of that. The only thing I can see is that people who went out marching on an anti lockdown and anti mask March badly want to see disease spread around the population of Ireland. They are the real curtain twitchers who badly want to see their neighbours drop dead with disease.

Anti lockdown, anti masks, anti vaccine. Always the same cohort. Anti intellectual is what they really are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I get why someone or more than one would be anti lockdown but anti mask as well on top of that. Surely if your were anti lockdown would be for measures and precautions to slow the spread of the virus and mask wearing would be part of that. The only thing I can see is that people who went out marching on an anti lockdown and anti mask March badly want to see disease spread around the population of Ireland. They are the real curtain twitchers who badly want to see their neighbours drop dead with disease.

Masks can play a part in certain situations, 6mts in jail for getting a loaf of bread without one is a step too far by government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭prunudo

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Great for her to have such support from you , I am sure !

Don't make smart comments on things you know nothing about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

El Sueño wrote: »
    It seems a bit odd that yesterday there was a huge amount of tests with relatively few positive results while today there was a much smaller amount of tests with a lot more positive results. Wonder what the story is there?

Distract from golfgate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

FG successfully got the numbers down but once they eased restrictions they left the Airports open, created these magical green list BS knowing full well that people will travel and bring the virus back and create a mess to make FF look like a bunch of incompetent fools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

They have been pretty stable over the last couple of weeks. It would be nice to see them start falling again though!

Stable at a massive level and one of the highest in Europe.

People aren't gonna like it but we need to reset and have another lockdown. Make sure we control the ports and sort out the DP centers and factories so they don't leak out. We did our part but letting the factories run they way they have should honestly resort in criminal prosecutions.

El Sueño wrote: »

Less targeted mass testing will result in a lower positivity rate. Where the number of tests is lower but more targeted (contacts and symptomatic individuals) then the positivity rate will increase.

It's fairly obvious now too there is generally a higher level of the disease in the country which is gradually increasing.

Onnagh Mc Guirk saying there the testing their doing is for coronavirus not covid19, it shows a positive for any coronavirus, is that true? Luke O'Neill getting serious boos.

Where's your dead right?

Onnagh Mc Guirk saying there the testing their doing is for coronavirus not covid19, it shows a positive for any coronavirus, is that true? Luke O'Neill getting serious boos.

No it's not true, it's specific for SARS-CoV-2 RNA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Masks can play a part in certain situations, 6mts in jail for getting a loaf of bread without one is a step too far by government.

It's not a step too far. The measure is needed to slow the spread. I see the purpose of masks being twofold.
    1) to trap infectious bodily fluids from coughs/sneezes
    2) mask wearing is not very enjoyable. I see masks as a measure to stop people from loitering around indoor environments like shops and shopping centres. The idea is to go in, get your stuff, do what you have to do and get the fcuk back out again into the open.

Conspiracy thread that away - - - - >

seanb85 wrote: »
    No it's not true, it's specific for SARS-CoV-2 RNA.

She says it picks up any coronavirus RNA, have you a link?

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    FG successfully got the numbers down but once he he eased restrictions he left the Airports open, created these magical green list BS knowing full well that people will travel and bring the virus back and create a mess to make FF look like a bunch of incompetent fools.

It is clear for any lay person in this country that the strategy of test trace isolate is not working. All we hear from hse is excuses. Workers can't speak English, we dismantlanted some of our testing infrasture because it seemed quiet and we wanted our holidays. Averaging out test times from hospitals and community to make it seem better than it is. If someone has anecdotal evidence of delays, it is a outlier. Because our test trace isolate system is not working we have extra restrictions added to our lives. Fact.

Google how RT-PCR tests work.

It's not a step too far. The measure is needed to slow the spread. I see the purpose of masks being twofold.
    1) to trap infectious bodily fluids from coughs/sneezes
    2) mask wearing is not very enjoyable. I see masks as a measure to stop people from loitering around indoor environments like shops and shopping centres. The idea is to go in, get your stuff, do what you have to do and get the fcuk back out again into the open.

That's not what the study's on mask have said. If you want to wear one good for you but it shouldn't be mandated with 6mts jail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's widely available. Look it up.

Where's the link to her nonsense though?

Less targeted mass testing will result in a lower positivity rate. Where the number of tests is lower but more targeted (contacts and symptomatic individuals) then the positivity rate will increase.

It's fairly obvious now too there is generally a higher level of the disease in the country which is gradually increasing.

Disagree with the last part. It’s increasing in certain parts of the country, other parts have had barely any cases.

Disagree with the last part. It’s increasing in certain parts of the country, other parts have had barely any cases.

The geographic spread is increasing, cases basically everywhere in the last two weeks, which wasn't the situation 6 weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Ireland is very sparsely populated besides a few major cities and the numbers are quite high in those areas, we all should be in panic mode because this is out of control!

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    It's widely available. Look it up.

Where's the link to her nonsense though?

Trying to find a link to prove either side correct, struggling. Can't find anything to say it won't register a positive for any other coronavirus besides covid 19..

The geographic spread is increasing, cases basically everywhere in the last two weeks, which wasn't the situation 6 weeks ago.

12 out of 26 counties have had less than 10 cases in the past 2 weeks. Dublin and Kildare account for 57% of total cases in past 2 weeks. Of the counties with the top 10 incidences, 7 are in Leinster. None in Connacht, none in Ulster.

• Advertisement

It is clear for any lay person in this country that the strategy of test trace isolate is not working. All we hear from hse is excuses. Workers can't speak English, we dismantlanted some of our testing infrasture because it seemed quiet and we wanted our holidays. Averaging out test times from hospitals and community to make it seem better than it is. If someone has anecdotal evidence of delays, it is a outlier. Because our test trace isolate system is not working we have extra restrictions added to our lives. Fact.

Ireland didn’t have enough instrumentation, they relied on sending samples to Germany and that’s probably still the case.

Trying to find a link to prove either side correct, struggling. Can't find anything to say it won't register a positive for any other coronavirus besides covid 19..

It uses a primer that is specific for SARS-CoV-2 RNA. You will not detect other viruses.

The other side isn't an argument, its nonsense.

Have a read

https://www.fda.gov/media/136231/download

12 out of 26 counties have had less than 10 cases in the past 2 weeks. Dublin and Kildare account for 57% of total cases in past 2 weeks. Of the counties with the top 10 incidences, 7 are in Leinster. None in Connacht, none in Ulster.

Has the level of disease increased or decreased in most counties in the country in the last two weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

How does that pan out when looked at against population size?

How do you get your hands on some hydroxychloroquine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I get why someone or more than one would be anti lockdown but anti mask as well on top of that. Surely if your were anti lockdown you would be for measures and precautions to slow the spread of the virus and mask wearing would be part of that. The only thing I can see is that people who went out marching on an anti lockdown and anti mask march badly want to see disease spread around the population of Ireland. They are the real curtain twitchers who badly want to see their neighbours drop dead with disease.
    Did you not read the names of who was involved in this protest? They are among the most stupid people in the country.

• Advertisement

NVRL uses Cobas, it’s very specific as it tests for partial nucleotide sequences of the SARS-Cov-2.

How do you get your hands on some hydroxychloroquine?

Fish tanks

Has the level of disease increased or decreased in most counties in the country in the last two weeks?

In Leinster it has increased significantly. Marginally in Munster due to clusters in Tipperary, Clare and Limerick. Connacht has seen no significant increase in case numbers, nor has Ulster.
    You can’t just ignore half the country and say it’s increasing nationwide. Places like Leitrim haven’t had a single case in last 2 weeks. 2 in Westmeath, 3 in Mayo, 5 in Kerry etc.

In Leinster it has increased significantly. Marginally in Munster due to clusters in Tipperary, Clare and Limerick. Connacht has seen no significant increase in case numbers, nor has Ulster.

So in most counties in the country it has increased?

So in most counties in the country it has increased?

Reread what I said. You can’t ignore half the country.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement