Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

No one knows what to think now. That is the problem.

But caution is good IMV.

Hopefully the meat factories have been given a bit of wake up call now.

The self employed contractor issue reminds me of the Ryanair pilots issue too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

Strumms wrote: »
    The world is a cruel and twisted place if as citizens and political people we enable it to be and accept it TO be. if we don’t, it isn’t and won’t be. You label the world as cruel and twisted ? As it corresponds to your life maybe it is. In my world it’s not.

Go and say it to them ? They have already been truly forthright on the matter so my input isn’t required to establish that.

Ohh and I guess I paid enough attention in history to get an A, but I’m less concerned about history right now then I am about OUR present AND future. ;)

Ah OK so in your world there is no famine, war, animal cruelty, homelessness, Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, Maggie Thatcher's legacy hanging over industrial cities in the UK, crises in the Middle East, Asylum Seekers tragically dying trying to escape their war thorn countries, Businesses, as you say, putting profit before the health and lives of people no?....Fair enough so, hope Elon Musk sets course for your world

If your input isn't required, why are posting about it then? :confused: If you feel that strongly about it, post your feelings to them on the Facebook link you provided

"I got an A in history" So did I but, perhaps you're insecure in yourself that you need to bring it up to score petty points? After all, that was in the past and you're more concerned about the present and future, apparently ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

JRant wrote: »
    While that's an admirable stance for him to take, and one that goes completely against Irish politics MO, he absolutely shouldn't take the criticism. That lands squarely on MM and Donnelly. This insulation of politicians from decisions has to end.

Yes but the obscurantism around expertise has reached truly ridiculous levels. Coughing into your elbow and hiding out at home are not highly-technical advanced medical concepts and anyone can have an opinion on these matters, which no one could reasonably expect to be uncontroversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I think some of the rural pubs are copping on. There’s one opening up in Leitrim that’s going to serve pizzas, watch others start following suit.

As long as it is a sitting down place with SD and no crowds that sounds reasonable.

Don't go to Leitrim, we want to keep it for ourselves. The biggest hidden gem in ROI. Telling you now. And I'm a Dub.

JRant wrote: »
    This insulation of politicians from decisions has to end.

In what century do you reckon that'll happen then? :(

• Advertisement

petes wrote: »
    Do people actually think rural pubs are closed?

Some out my way actually are. Vast majority

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

4 pubs within 3 miles of me. I live in Roscommon. All closed. Whether you believe this or not is irrelevant. Even living rurally there are plenty of Curtin twitchers who would report them if this were not the case.
    A loss of license at the next licensing session is not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

MOR316 wrote: »
    Ah OK so in your world there is no famine, war, animal cruelty, homelessness, Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, Maggie Thatcher's legacy hanging over industrial cities in the UK, crises in the Middle East, Asylum Seekers tragically dying trying to escape their war thorn countries, Businesses, as you say, putting profit before the health and lives of people no?....Fair enough so, hope Elon Musk sets course for your world

If your input isn't required, why are posting about it then? :confused: If you feel that strongly about it, post your feelings to them on the Facebook link you provided

"I got an A in history" So did I but, perhaps you're insecure in yourself that you need to bring it up to score petty points? After all, that was in the past and you're more concerned about the present and future, apparently ;)

My world is here, what I can affect, influence and so on. Issues in the UK or the Middle East ? Beyond my remit and scope of influence. Also I don’t have a Tardis so I cannot do anything about Thatcher or Trump being elected but nice to think I can but I can’t.

No insecurities, aside from those created by the situation which we find ourselves in but I’m not alone on that score. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

MOR316 wrote: »
    Some out my way actually are. Vast majority

I live a mile away from a village with three pubs, all open.

One with a chipper across the street and that's where the 'food' comes from but you don't have to have food and if you do you go and get it.

One is across from a mobile chipper that's only there on weekends and Monday, same thing but pub open this evening.

The third...open anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Looney1 wrote: »
    Can a person go back on pup if they had come off it and had gone back to work but who are closed down again??

Did you work in dental clinic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Looney1

Renjit wrote: »
    Did you work in dental clinic?

Good deduction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

The one and only question now is how fast can the government get us the Russian vaccine. Absolutely 0 point wasting any more time discussing anything else related to this virus, lockdowns etc. The one and only question is about the vaccine, how quick we can get it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

The_Brood wrote: »
    The one and only question now is how fast can the government get us the Russian vaccine. Absolutely 0 point wasting any more time discussing anything else related to this virus, lockdowns etc. The one and only question is about the vaccine, how quick we can get it.

More chance of getting a novichok vaccine sooner than a COVID vaccine out of that mad house

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Might be a good idea to let them start the phase 3 trials first.

https://sputnikvaccine.com/about-vaccine/clinical-trials/

Phase 3 clinical trial involving more than 2,000 people in Russia, a number of Middle Eastern (UAE and Saudi Arabia), and Latin American countries (Brazil and Mexico) will start on August 12.

Strumms wrote: »
    My world is here, what I can affect, influence and so on. Issues in the UK or the Middle East ? Beyond my remit and scope of influence. Also I don’t have a Tardis so I cannot do anything about Thatcher or Trump being elected but nice to think I can but I can’t.

No insecurities, aside from those created by the situation which we find ourselves in but I’m not alone on that score. ;)

That's my point though. You made the point that we can control our own worlds to where it's not cruel and twisted and you're right. We can! You said you can, I'm happy to say that I had mine but, that doesn't mean we ignore what's going around all around us. You said the issues in the UK and ME are beyond your scope of influence. So is your outage at the publicans. You may as well be pissing against the wind!

Hence my point...We can all create this wonderful world in our own lives but, doesn't mean the real world isn't going to give us a kick in the arse now and again because that's how it works. Case in point, the situation we find ourselves in.

As I said, the real world can be a cruel and dangerous place

Looney1 wrote: »
    Good deduction

Can I reapply if I stopped claiming my payment?

If you stopped claiming because you returned to work, but are laid off or become unemployed again, you can reapply for the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment.

If you were getting the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment and stopped claiming because you left Ireland, you can reapply when you return. However, you will not be paid for the 14 days that you are required to self-isolate when you return from abroad.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/covid19_pandemic_unemployment_payment.html

You first.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Electronic tagging of non mask wearers should be an option available to law enforcement. If someone is caught without a mandatory mask in a shop they should be placed under enforced isolation , ie they are only allowed out for one hour twice a week to visit a designated retailer for their essentials. It’s time to get tough with the antisocial . Time to come down on dissent like ten tons of bricks for the greater good. They are either in it together with us or they are with the terrifying virus, simple as that.

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Electronic tagging of non mask wearers should be an option available to law enforcement. If someone is caught without a mandatory mask in a shop they should be placed under enforced isolation , ie they are only allowed out for one hour twice a week to visit a designated retailer for their essentials. It’s time to get tough with the antisocial . Time to come down on dissent like ten tons of bricks for the greater good. They are either in it together with us or they are with the terrifying virus, simple as that.

Cheaper to execute them plus they're no longer breathing. No nasty aerosols.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

It really is looking like Latin Americans seem to just be genetically more susceptible to the virus, might explain the very high death rates particularly in those regions of the world compared to Asia and Africa. While it is similar to Europe and the US it is probably because the western world has the much older population skewing death rates.

IN this case study of an isolated rural town in Ecuador, antibody testing showed that of the population of 1852, 45% were infected(833 people). There were 29 COVID deaths in the town in a 3 month period which is 3.5% of infected patients dying.

https://www.reddit.com/r/COVID19/comments/i75ta9/sarscov2related_mortality_in_a_rural_latin/

The study does not mention it but presumably given the location healthcare was very poor if not non-existent.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

I thought the pubs were shut

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Cheaper to execute them plus they're no longer breathing. No nasty aerosols.

Quit the trolling or you will find your posting privileges restricted

bb1234567 wrote: »
    The study does not mention it but presumably given the location healthcare was very poor if not non-existent.

Most likely this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Renjit wrote: »
    Most likely this.

Yes for sure it contributes but it is still rather shocking that in a poor part of Ecuador IFR appears to be up to 3.5% while recent antibody tests in for example slums in Mumbai with presumably comparably poor population health and medical care the IFR still remains low because of the young population, in the region of 0.14%, assuming deaths in Mumbai have been accurately reported.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Yes for sure it contributes but it is still rather shocking that in a poor part of Ecuador IFR appears to be up to 3.5% while recent antibody tests in for example slums in Mumbai with presumably comparably poor population health and medical care the IFR still remains low because of the young population, in the region of 0.14%.

Haven't they found in the UK the BAME communities suffer disproportionately in relation to the wider community?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

It may be but I think they were right to do it, especially Kildare.

It will also make the next localised lockdown easier as the example has been made and other counties experiencing the next lockdown won't feel as picked on.

It's a difficult one

If this one might end up as an overreaction then the next localised lockdown might be more difficult to get buy in for

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Beasty wrote: »
    Quit the trolling or you will find your posting privileges restricted

I like Paddy's stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Everything about this goes back to risk of incidence.

Reopening of a sector without a responsible plan to reopen will cause the incidence rate to soar and both parents and teachers have been flagging this in relation to return to school plan that will inevitably lead to this.

But people that have been delegated to mitigate risk
    and reduce it havee not listened and refuse to listen.Qué another inquiry when X hits the fan. We're stuck in a loop and when it happens we will be asked to sacrifice like the three counties that went into lockdown, despite red warning signs that were flagged well in advance that could have mitigated said risk.

I will defiantly say this..we're walking on a tightrope and asked to be responsible when walking on said tightrope when there's a threat of alligators waiting at the surface chomping, with no mitigation factors for what happens when we fall into the water, despite being encouraged to walk to the end with no safety plan provided, will..be.. ruinous.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I wonder why, a month into this, when it became 100% clear that the only FIX was going to be a vaccine that will be many months to a couple of years away... would the government not have invested 3 million or whatever setting up a PPE factory... making masks mainly , some other ppe and supplying them to the public at cost... if it comes a point where we have enough masks we can say consider stockpiling then exporting masks but for profit that goes back into the coffers.

If it costs 80 cent to make a mask, we can charge say 2.30 to cover manufacturing and associated costs.

Just blitz manufacturing, keep 500,000 in storage for a ‘rainy day’... makes financial, social and healthy sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Carrols Cuisine have announced that all 210 staff tested negative on Sunday.

A good result from 9 positives last week. Really, well done.
    Now build on it by congratulating staff, upholding the good hygiene practices, maintaining the inertia from this result, then retesting.

Off to buy a pack of Carroll's in the morning. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement