Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

hmmm wrote: »
    Don't read the end of that paper unless you want to be depressed :) Faust is a serious scientist, interesting post.

The mid level scenario is basically we trundle on as is until a vaccine.

Remarkable how difficult it appears to be to organize reliable data on things like asymptomatic spread. It’s a good reminder how disorganised the countries are when it comes to the virus. Is it really that difficult to collaborate information out of 6+ months of data ?

I’m not blaming scientists , I am just curious why there is little will or incentive to gather this sort of info. When governments want things done, they get done. Is it too cynical to suggest that less of certain information in the public domain is more convenient in a weird way so governments can basically manipulate the message they want to give. (Masks are bad, masks are good; schools are safe; pubs are grand with food etc)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

He couldnt even explain it himself.

Was embarrassing.

Didn't listen to him but sounds likely

Poor when the Minister for health can't explain a new system

Then again the last fella thought there have been 18 other coronaviruses

They just want to get away from having deadlines for the pubs to reopen

This system won't make a jot of difference

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Didn't listen to him but sounds likely

Poor when the Minister for health can't explain a new system

Then again the last fella thought there have been 18 other coronaviruses

They just want to get away from having deadlines for the pubs to reopen

This system won't make a jot of difference

If I owned a pub , I’d be starting to look at next April as a potential opening time. Plan for the worst and hope for the best but I don’t see pubs opening for a long long time if numbers increase in sept and remain at a decent level to October. You don’t then add another risk variable that could increase that number when there might be a seasonal jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,321 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Yeah, everyone I know doing it hates it. One friend is considering just quitting work for a few months because he finds it so draining and difficult and he'd rather live off savings.

As for the topic of schools reopening, it would almost certainly be a disaster. I've taught in May with mandatory masks in class and it lasted three days before the government gave up on it. It's an exercise in futility. I had students pulling down their masks to share bottles of water in the first class. By the second day, the difficulty of communicating in a noisy class with muffled voices and not being able to see lips means productivity just evaporates. Kids get wise to the fact they can pretend to not hear you or know what you're saying.

im actually autistic myself, and its causing major issues in autism services, professionals in the services are scratching their heads trying to figure it out, as we already struggle with communication, particularly body language, in particular facial expressions, its a bit of a nightmare.

If I owned a pub I'd be doing €9 pizzas and opening up even if I had to cook them all at home

Get back to making a living

Reading the Examiner the only positive thing Donnelly acknowledged is that the level of community transmission in Ireland is very low

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,321 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

If I owned a pub I'd be doing €9 pizzas and opening up even if I had to cook them all at home

Reading the Examiner the only positive thing Donnelly acknowledged is that the level of community transmission in Ireland is very low

its more than likely what they ll do, to try survive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

You wouldn't be able to sell your home cooked food or any food you'd cook without a licence but you could ask a local restaurant to partner with you.

I don't know why more pubs/restaurants aren't doing this, it's a win win for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Cases in Germany at their highest since May.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Chatting to a pub owner the other day, there done with it, have started doing other things now, won't reopen, were going to see a lot of that. It'll be a big blow to rural communities.
    There customers won't pay €9 for a pizza, it's a lame rule for the person in for a few sociable ones.

Chatting to a pub owner the other day, there done with it, have started doing other things now, won't reopen, were going to see a lot of that. It'll be a big blow to rural communities.
    There customers won't pay €9 for a pizza, it's a lame rule for the person in for a few sociable ones.

Parents were up the North at the weekend

Food was payed for by some customers, receipt given to customers, then the amount was given back in pints if they weren't eating

Would only cost the pub the price of a pizza

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

If I'm not hungry, I just tell them to charge me the 9 quid anyway if they must. Some do, some don't

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

mloc123 wrote: »
    Not often you'd say it but...Harris was a much safer pair of hands

What?!

They are both pretty useless.

What did Harris achieved in Health pre Covid?

Answer = Zero.

Is your kitchen compliant with FSAI requirements?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

MOR316 wrote: »
    If I'm not hungry, I just tell them to charge me the 9 quid anyway if they must. Some do, some don't

Order food and when it arrives at your table ask them to take it away with you!

Is your kitchen compliant with FSAI requirements?

As much as some pub owners I've heard of anyway

Pizza is ordered and brought 10 - 15 mins later

Most people won't care where the pizza came from as long as they can have their few pints

Doesn't apply to me though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Jesus on Sarah Mcinerney they're saying that it's not a notifiable disease (yet) because it's not "immediately" fatal. Reeks of intentional obfuscation to get the schools back. I feel so incredibly sorry for the children and teachers who are about to be part of this nationwide gamble in two weeks. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

**** this community transmission sh!te. Just because community transmission is low, it doesn't make it any better. It started with one person in the meat factories. Look at that. Is that all good because it's not community transmission?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

What?!

They are both pretty useless.

What did Harris achieved in Health pre Covid?

Answer = Zero.

Health was shambles of a portfolio to hand to him. He'd never be able to sort out the health stuff in this country although saying that he could have implemented something meaningful. I saw the sugar tax as money raising exercise and that was all it was. It was dressed up for health and obesity reasons but if he was genuinely interested in tackling health and obesity it would have been implemented as part of a broader package.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

s1ippy wrote: »
    Jesus on Sarah Mcinerney they're saying that it's not a notifiable disease (yet) because it's not "immediately" fatal. Reeks of intentional obfuscation to get the schools back. I feel so incredibly sorry for the children and teachers who are about to be part of this nationwide gamble in two weeks. :(

It’s going to be the same all over Europe in a few weeks and we’ve already seen schools open in Denmark etc.. Society as a whole needs to open up albeit with good codes of practice and so on.
    We can’t keep going the way we’re going. If my kid was of school going age, he’d be going to school. It’s vital to their development educationally and socially. We can’t keep living behind the curtain with the tin foil hat to keep your brain from exploding with fear and anxiety.
    If anything if we keep pussy footing around it’ll cause a lot more Anxiety and fear. All leads to poor mental health and we all know that our services in that sector are shocking and could easily end up with a higher mortality rate then Covid and the flu put together!

It is a notifiable disease

https://www.hpsc.ie/notifiablediseases/listofnotifiablediseases/List%20of%20Notifiable%20Diseases%20February%202020.pdf

So is Influenza, Norovirus etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,301 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

s1ippy wrote:
    Jesus on Sarah Mcinerney they're saying that it's not a notifiable disease (yet) because it's not "immediately" fatal. Reeks of intentional obfuscation to get the schools back. I feel so incredibly sorry for the children and teachers who are about to be part of this nationwide gamble in two weeks.
    I can tell you my kids won't be their guinea pigs. They are not going back until its safe to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭xvril

How long do we think schools will remain open? Will we get a month out of it?

TV3 was on in the morning in the background and there was a woman chatting on air about the virus and kids and school. Was that her? If so, I just about heard what she was waffling on about - there's no evidence that the virus spreads in schools, there's no evidence of children picking it up schools, children can't pass it on because of their bodies and expulsion rates are weaker than adults if they cough.

xvril wrote: »
    How long do we think schools will remain open? Will we get a month out of it?

All schools wont remain open all the time, but most schools in areas without outbreaks will be open at any given time.

If community cases are low, there is no reason to not open the schools in the absence of a significant outbreak

Santy2015 wrote:
    It’s going to be the same all over Europe in a few weeks and we’ve already seen schools open in Denmark etc.. Society as a whole needs to open up albeit with good codes of practice and so on. We can’t keep going the way we’re going. If my kid was of school going age, he’d be going to school. It’s vital to their development educationally and socially. We can’t keep living behind the curtain with the tin foil hat to keep your brain from exploding with fear and anxiety. If anything if we keep pussy footing around it’ll cause a lot more Anxiety and fear. All leads to poor mental health and we all know that our services in that sector are shocking and could easily end up with a higher mortality rate then Covid and the flu put together!
    Sounds like you are either just clueless or you are willing to risk your kid's health to me.
    Why would you be willing to take risks with your kid's health?

All schools wont remain open all the time, but most schools in areas without outbreaks will be open at any given time.

If community cases are low, there is no reason to not open the schools in the absence of a significant outbreak
    Have you read up on what happened in Israel?

I don't always see eye to eye with you and your posts but this does make sense. Children and teenagers were meeting up all summer anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

Santy2015 wrote: »
    It’s going to be the same all over Europe in a few weeks and we’ve already seen schools open in Denmark etc.. Society as a whole needs to open up albeit with good codes of practice and so on.
    We can’t keep going the way we’re going. If my kid was of school going age, he’d be going to school. It’s vital to their development educationally and socially. We can’t keep living behind the curtain with the tin foil hat to keep your brain from exploding with fear and anxiety.
    If anything if we keep pussy footing around it’ll cause a lot more Anxiety and fear. All leads to poor mental health and we all know that our services in that sector are shocking and could easily end up with a higher mortality rate then Covid and the flu put together!

It's not living behind a curtain, with a tinfoil hat. There is a definite, verifiable virus which is going to kill people as it spreads further.

There are modern solutions to this issue to prevent your hypothetical child from falling behind educationally or socially.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Have you read up on what happened in Israel?

What happened there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

eagle eye wrote: »
    I can tell you my kids won't be their guinea pigs. They are not going back until its safe to do so.

That’s good as it’ll make more room for those that do go back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement