Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

The concept of living with this and getting on with life remains an abstract reality to some.

Indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

Sick of the merchants of doom here. Between schools, pubs & travel and some other clown having a meltdown about whether or not to go to the Cinema it would drain you.

We need to be more positive and take a pragmatic approach
    Well if you go on a ventilator and show it on youtube no bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

wadacrack wrote: »
    Its the fact that its growing rather quickly, this is without schools open and pubs. A few weeks ago 24 cases in one day was very high. Context is needed in this thread. In a few weeks you will have certain posters saying its only 150 cases today. Only a few clusters in schools. The positivity bias and lack of perspective is getting boring now.
    You realise our 7 day average is dropping, yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

With the opening up of restrictions and if you discount the meat factory cases we are doing good.

Trying to get a poster boy New Zealand result is dreamland, they can't even manage it.

Its the fact that its growing rather quickly, this is without schools open and pubs. A few weeks ago 24 cases in one day was very high. Context is needed in this thread. In a few weeks you will have certain posters saying its only 150 cases today. Only a few clusters in schools. The positivity bias and lack of perspective is getting boring now.

So when it goes down tomorrow maybe is that a good thing? Also remember we have increased testing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

froog wrote: »
    not good. we need to go back a step or two and fast.

Why?

Are you saying the entire country needs to go back to stage 2 or even stage 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

As is the doom and gloom :) schools will open, there will be clusters... We will get on with it.

With the opening up of restrictions and if you discount the meat factory cases we are doing good.

Trying to get a poster boy New Zealand result is dreamland, they can't even manage it.
    Take Kildare and Dublin out of the mix and you've got ~40 cases a day for a population of 5 million, entirely sustainable.

Well if you go on a ventilator and show it on youtube no bother.

What in gods jaysis name are you on about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mr zulu

Sick of the merchants of doom here. Between schools, pubs & travel and some other clown having a meltdown about whether or not to go to the Cinema it would drain you.

We need to be more positive and take a pragmatic approach
    Those merchants of doom thrive on misery and bad news, the worst thing that could happen to them is the covid scenario ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

No it’s not. It went up by over 3 today. 69 last Thursday dropping out, 92 today coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Yes Limerick and Clare cases seem to be linked to Kilkee party

Anything to back that up? Just wondering not seen anything about it.

Would be pure speculation to blame the outdoor gathering in Kilkee last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

mloc123 wrote: »
    As is the doom and gloom :) schools will open, there will be clusters... We will get on with it.
    If they get definitions/groups and protocols right there should not be a huge disruption but I think there will be cases anyway.

Take Kildare and Dublin out of the mix and you've got ~40 cases a day for a population of 5 million, entirely sustainable.

A come on! Take out the Kildare and Dublin cases, but not the population :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Interesting to listen to the UK professor feeding into the WHO this evening in the covid special advisory committee.
    Thinks we're making a mistake by not opening the pubs they've had 10 clusters out of 46,000 pubs which are a good place to study how the virus behaves and there is 0 evidence mask wearing works from what little experience they have in the UK it has the opposite effect and causes cases to rise. There's a real world study happening in Denmark at the moment with results to be published soon as to their effectiveness.
    He pretty much said our knee jerk reactions have to stop there doing more harm than good. Our policys aren't based on all the evidence were cherry picking studies to support government policy which is plain wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I see it as 66 cases the last two days than 40,92 as reported. Two days in a row for community transmissions to go into double figures, Kildare remain the worse hit of the 3 counties on lockdown.

Benimar wrote: »
    A come on! Take out the Kildare and Dublin cases, but not the population :pac:
    Do you deny that the majority of cases arising in this country come from Kildare and Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

unless you have different data it looks to me like it dropped just once yesterday and will be going back up today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Terrible terrible numbers. It's spreading everywhere again.

It’s already been everywhere.

unless you have different data it looks to me like it dropped just once yesterday and will be going back up today.
    Today is the first time it has risen in 4 days.

• Advertisement

Do you deny that the majority of cases arising in this country come from Kildare and Dublin?

Do you deny the population is far less than 5m if you take out Kildare and Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

mloc123 wrote: »

Theirs 3 counties on lockdown atm. Their may not be a choice.

Some people on here need to go for a pint and chill out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Meant to be a house party as opposed to that large outdoor gathering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Guess the merchants of doom are to blame for todays numbers, the 74 new clusters and the 151 cases associated with them :rolleyes:

why ignore kildare and dublin ffs?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

MD1990 wrote: »
    schools re opening wont last very long

Well based on what the CMO has said they expect clusters from schools but doesn't mean they'll all close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

No it isn't, it's rising.

Do you deny the population is far less than 5m if you take out Kildare and Dublin?
    Sorry, I forgot that 40 cases for almost 3.6 million people is unsustainable :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Advertisement

why ignore kildare and dublin ffs?
    Because over 50% of daily cases have come from there for the past 3 days?

I genuinely do not understand the surprise when cases increase, we were literally told yesterday this would happen

Because over 50% of daily cases have come from there for the past 3 days?

yup. again, why ignore them to suit your narrative? it's laughable.

Sorry, I forgot that 40 cases for almost 3.6 million people is unsustainable :D

Well why didn’t you just state that instead of skewing the numbers. Like your claim the 7 day average was going down?

In one sense I admire your 100% positivity, but it’s ok to admit when the numbers aren’t as good as they were.

Well why didn’t you just state that instead of skewing the numbers. Like your claim the 7 day average was going down?

In one sense I admire your 100% positivity, but it’s ok to admit when the numbers aren’t as good as they were.
    Sorry, your opinion really means so much to me that I will stop :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Interesting to listen to the UK professor feeding into the WHO this evening in the covid special advisory committee.
    Thinks we're making a mistake by not opening the pubs they've had 10 clusters out of 46,000 pubs which are a good place to study how the virus behaves and there is 0 evidence mask wearing works from what little experience they have in the UK it has the opposite effect and causes cases to rise. There's a real world study happening in Denmark at the moment with results to be published soon as to their effectiveness.
    He pretty much said our knee jerk reactions have to stop their doing more harm than good. Our policys aren't based on all the evidence were cherry picking studies to support government policy which is plain wrong.
    There is that quote about anuses and opinions! The academics have bickered amongst themselves with far too many of them want to be proven right. Schools then pubs is our strategy. So far, excluding the more recent midlands issues, we have not had to roll back on our decisions. We want to open schools and leave them open. Having high risk locations like pubs closed for a few more weeks is a small price to pay for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Open it all up spin merchants on overtime I see.

I genuinely do not understand the surprise when cases increase, we were literally told yesterday this would happen

who is surprised?

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    No it isn't, it's rising.
    Nope he is right.
    80 on 11th august
    78.3 on 12th
    76.4 on 13th

But it was shooting up before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

ACE you can't just take figures out that skew the result away from what you'd prefer. The number of counties showing cases (admittedly low) is growing.

I'm not overly concerned at the moment but the figures are what the figures are.

who is surprised?
    You're joking?

not good. we need to go back a step or two and fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Covid ICU beds are almost empty across the country. Replicated almost identically across the world where the virus has already risen and fallen.

Do you think that’s due to the competency of our leaders and medical experts and compliance of the public or is something else happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I think it's time to remove all the counties that have cases and declare Ireland Covid free.

gmisk wrote: »
    Nope he is right.
    80 on 11th august
    78.3 on 12th
    76.4 on 13th

But it was shooting up before that.

Average has gone up today. Last thursdays 69 drops up, this thursdays 92 goes in.

Chart mustn’t have updated yet.

You're joking?

yep i said "not good". not "jesus christ what?? that is NOT GOOD!!!"

• Advertisement

Covid ICU beds are almost empty across the country. Replicated almost identically across the world where the virus has already risen and fallen.

Do you think that’s due to the competency of our leaders and medical experts and compliance of the public or is something else happening?

it's because we have successfully protected those in high risk groups. and we need to keep it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

is_that_so wrote: »
    There is that quote about anuses and opinions! The academics have bickered amongst themselves with far too many of them want to be proven right. Schools then pubs is our strategy. So far, excluding the more recent midlands issues, we have not had to roll back on our decisions. We want to open schools and leave them open. Having high risk locations like pubs closed for a few more weeks is a small price to pay for that.

There not high risk the evidence doesn't support that, I repeat 10 clusters from 46,000 pubs, we have 7,000 do the math on how risky they are.
    There is no and I mean no evidence masks work outside a labatory, he had to even set the record straight when one of the Irish guys contradicted his point on them as he is an expert and an advisor to the WHO. It's not just his opinion, it's evidence based.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,607 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

No concrete proof or fact just hearing of younger aged cases of individuals at the Kilkee party

I think we have very high compliance from the public. I also think we now have potential ‘leakage’ that can hopefully be maintained.

I believe it could go either way. I’m not doom and gloom, but some of the positive spin being put on the numbers isn’t warranted either.

Average has gone up today. Last thursdays 69 drops up, this thursdays 92 goes in.

Chart mustn’t have updated yet.
    It's a rolling 7 day average I would say....it doesn't matter if it's 92 today and 69 last Thursday it's a rolling average.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement