Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

froog wrote: »
    yep i said "not good". not "jesus christ what?? that is NOT GOOD!!!"

Why do you believe "we need to go back a step or two and fast" ?

Two steps back would be phase one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

What in gods jaysis name are you on about?

Another one of the tin foil hat and curtain twitching brigade. If you need curtains for your bay window that can sustain an unbelievable amount of twitching they are the people to get onto, that’s only if they leave the house first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,607 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Some people on here need to go for a pint and chill out :D

Open all the pubs drunk lives matter ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

1. it's only clusters
    2. take dublin and kildare out and it's actually grand
    3. there's 3 days there when the 7 day average was actually dropping by a small amount
    4. those outbreaks in those 5 other countys we knew about already so that's grand

just stop lad :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    No concrete proof or fact just hearing of younger aged cases of individuals at the Kilkee party

Halting site was responsible for about 14 of the Clare cases. Not sure of exact numbers from the Kilkee party but it doesn't seem to be anything major.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

i have been converted, shut the country down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

gmisk wrote: »
    It's a rolling 7 day average I would say....

Correct, and it has gone up by 3.29 cases per day.

Yesterday’s was based on Aug 6-12, today’s is based on Aug 7-13. Cases in 6th were 69, cases on 13th (today) are 92. It’s a mathematical certainty it has gone up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Time to lockdown Dublin.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Why do you believe "we need to go back a step or two and fast" ?

Two steps back would be phase one

why do you think? what in the news the last few weeks would lead me to this conclusion. think hard now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Sorry, your opinion really means so much to me that I will stop :(

Later on when you get on other people's wick and they snap at you, do not start up with the crap about how you are never nasty to anybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Open it all up spin merchants on overtime I see.
    There are obsessives at both extremes. Our strategy into the medium term will be to live with this,manage it and open up society. In about 2 weeks close enough to 1m primary and secondary students will be starting back at school. It is the biggest opening up since this began and it has to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,607 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Halting site was responsible for about 14 of the Clare cases. Not sure of exact numbers from the Kilkee party but it doesn't seem to be anything major.

Do they play GAA :P

I thought the site was Wexford, was Clare another one too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

it's because we have successfully protected those in high risk groups. and we need to keep it that way.

In the exact same way as every other country in the world? Why are the curves all so similar regardless of measures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,617 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Worrying up tick of community transmission the past couple of days.

70 cases outside known clusters or contacts with a minimum of 36% odd being unknown, probably more.

Too short a time frame to call it a trend.

The virus is certainly doing it's best to reseed itself.

why do you think? what in the news the last few weeks would lead me to this conclusion. think hard now.

Nothing in the news the last few weeks would suggest that we need to go back to phase one

It is not warranted

What are you basing your opinion on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

92 new cases
    0 deaths

Backlog well and truly cleared

Yes. Expected as much.

In the exact same way as every other country in the world? Why are the curves all so similar regardless of measures?

high risk groups are being super careful. younger people are not. this is why we have rising cases and less rises in hospitals. and the higher the cases get, the greater the risk for the high risk groups. so we need to protect them, and not cater to people annoyed at not being able to have a pint or go to a match.

is_that_so wrote: »
    There are obsessives at both extremes. Our strategy into the medium term will be to live with this,manage it and open up society. In about 2 weeks close enough to 1m primary and secondary students will be starting back at school. It is the biggest opening up since this began and it has to happen.

It's an experiment based on no evidence it will work, the long term health implications for our youth could be huge and lead to massive future health care costs not to mention what it could to their parents.
    Pubs were the place to study this not with children. If Leo and Michael have this one wrong they should be tarred and feathered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

i have been converted, shut the country down

Ah yes, because anyone who can’t clearly see how positive the numbers are if you take out anyone whose name starts with A (or similar BS) wants the country shut down.

Maybe we are just a bit concerned things are slipping and can see that there may be bigger problems ahead.

• Advertisement

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Nothing in the news the last few weeks would suggest that we need to go back to phase one

It is not warranted

What are you basing your opinion on?

the rising cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Benimar wrote: »
    Correct, and it has gone up by 3.29 cases per day.

Yesterday’s was based on Aug 6-12, today’s is based on Aug 7-13. Cases in 6th were 69, cases on 13th (today) are 92. It’s a mathematical certainty it has gone up.
    Ah ok cheers I was only going by chart on that site

There not high risk the evidence doesn't support that, I repeat 10 clusters from 46,000 pubs, we have 7,000 do the math on how risky they are.
    There is no and I mean no evidence masks work outside a labatory, he had to even set the record straight when one of the Irish guys contradicted his point on them as he is an expert and an advisor to the WHO. It's not just his opinion, it's evidence based.
    Do you want to link to this evidence or just trust some "expert"? COVID-19 really is to medical experts what 2009 was to economists, lots of noise and ego. Who is this guy anyway? Not sure what it is you're trying to say, the remaining pubs have been pushed out three more weeks, not indefinitely.

That's what a hotel manager in Clare told me last night, halting site in Ennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Looks like it's back out there. We all know that what we're seeing in the figures isn't even half the picture but it does provide good trend analysis, which shows CT increasing.

We're looking at big countrywide increases in the very near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Nope he is right.
    80 on 11th august
    78.3 on 12th
    76.4 on 13th

But it was shooting up before that.
    7 day rolling average is currently up marginally as of today, however as a health warning the case numbers are yo-yoing up and down this week and by Saturday 15th when you can exclude the large numbers cases on Fri 7th and Sat 8th then the 7 day average will trend downwards if the cases for the next 2 days average at even 80 per day, we'll see anyway

Day Month Date Cases 7 Day
    Friday July 24th 20 16.71
    Saturday July 25th 24 17.14
    Sunday July 26th 12 17.43
    Monday July 27th 11 18.14
    Tuesday July 28th 40 18.71
    Wednesday July 29th 14 18.29
    Thursday July 30th 85 29.43
    Friday July 31st 38 32.00
    Saturday August 1st 45 35.00
    Sunday August 2nd 53 40.86
    Monday August 3rd 46 45.86
    Tuesday August 4th 45 46.57
    Wednesday August 5th 50 51.71
    Thursday August 6th 69 49.43
    Friday August 7th 98 58.00
    Saturday August 8th 174 76.43
    Sunday August 9th 68 78.57
    Monday August 10th 57 80.14
    Tuesday August 11th 35 78.71
    Wednesday August 12th 40 77.29
    Thursday August 13th 92 80.57

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

People are surprised in the increase in numbers? oh please where does it show people are surprised in the numbers no where but anyone who says 92 is not good are doom mongers.
    Just because a some health official says oh the numbers will increase, I keep seeing the same meme in my head .

522914.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

high risk groups are being super careful. younger people are not. this is why we have rising cases and less rises in hospitals. and the higher the cases get, the greater the risk for the high risk groups. so we need to protect them, and not cater to people annoyed at not being able to have a pint or go to a match.

All across the world? From Belarus to Brazil?

This pandemic is over. It’s governments that are keeping it going with hyper testing resulting in meaningless cases that are followed by virtually no hospitalisations or deaths.

It’s madness.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Do you want to link to this evidence or just trust some "expert"? COVID-19 really is to medical experts what 2009 was to economists, lots of noise. Who is this guy anyway? Not sure what it is you're trying to say, the remaining pubs have been pushed out three more weeks, not indefinitely.

There is no evidence that's his point, just one knee jerk reaction after the other.
    I'm trying to say our Government is making it up as they go and cherry picking what they present as facts.
    There is no evidence to support keeping pubs closed or mandatory mask. No evidence anywhere in the world.
    The Denmark study will be interesting as it's the first of it's kind outside a labatory.

spookwoman wrote: »
    People are surprised in the increase in numbers? oh please where does it show people are surprised in the numbers no where but anyone who says 92 is not good are doom mongers.
    Just because a some health official says oh the numbers will increase, I keep seeing the same meme in my head .

522914.jpg
    Who said 92 is good? 92 without context is awful. Also you should really quote me when clearly responding to my posts.

spookwoman wrote: »

522914.jpg
    He also said we've tested lots of people in a particular location and we're seeing a high number of cases so not hard to "do the maths". That they believe they have under control.

• Advertisement

the rising cases.

So you want the entire country to go back to phase one because of an increase largely in LOK and Dublin?

Just for a reminder this is what phase one entailed

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ad5dd0-easing-the-covid-19-restrictions-on-may-18-phase-1/

Even phase two would be a large step backwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's a rolling 7 day average I would say....it doesn't matter if it's 92 today and 69 last Thursday it's a rolling average.

Correct. But the rolling average has gone up because the day value for dropping off is lower than today's.

Ohmeha wrote: »
    7 day rolling average is currently up marginally as of today, however as a health warning the case numbers are yo-yoing up and down this week and by Saturday 15th when you can exclude the large numbers cases on Fri 7th and Sat 8th then the 7 day average will trend downwards if the cases for the next 2 days average at even 80 per day, we'll see anyway

but it's going down in this bit here :pac:

522916.jpg

Thanks for that great to have some accurate facts posted

522916.jpg
    Alright trump lol

There is no evidence that's his point, just one knee jerk reaction after the other.
    I'm trying to say our Government is making it up as they go and cherry picking what they present as facts.
    There is no evidence to support keeping pubs closed or mandatory mask. No evidence anywhere in the world.
    The Denmark study will be interesting as it's the first of it's kind outside a labatory.
    I am curious who he is. If he's that crackpot Swede who said we'd have lots more cases I'd be reaching for the salt. As for pubs remember the Tyrol resort and the skiing in February, with the packed bars, the Korean nightclubs and how many cases came out of them? That too is evidence.

Worth pointing out that the 7 day average is being heavily skewed by the 174 cases on one day in the last week. It will likely drop quite dramatically over the next 2 days as long as we report less than 80 on those days. 5 day average sits at 58.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

522916.jpg

You're confusing 'going' for 'went'.

Worth pointing out that the 7 day average is being heavily skewed by the 174 cases on one day in the last week. It will likely drop quite dramatically over the next 2 days as long as we report less than 80 on those days. 5 day average sits at 58.
    So your now admitting our 7 day average isn't dropping?
    You can't just take cases out of it to suit your agenda though come on

So your now admitting our 7 day average isn't dropping?
    You can't just take cases out of it to suit your agenda though come on
    It's a statistical anomaly known as an outlier. You learn that when you study statistics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlier

• Advertisement

you should get a job in the trump administration.

you should get a job in the trump administration.
    By pointing out a statistical observation? Do you know anything about outliers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Interesting to listen to the UK professor feeding into the WHO this evening in the covid special advisory committee.
    Thinks we're making a mistake by not opening the pubs they've had 10 clusters out of 46,000 pubs which are a good place to study how the virus behaves and there is 0 evidence mask wearing works from what little experience they have in the UK it has the opposite effect and causes cases to rise. There's a real world study happening in Denmark at the moment with results to be published soon as to their effectiveness.
    He pretty much said our knee jerk reactions have to stop there doing more harm than good. Our policys aren't based on all the evidence were cherry picking studies to support government policy which is plain wrong.
    I'm sorry now like but you're going to have to give a name for this utter lunatic if he exists at all.

It's a statistical anomaly known as an outlier. You learn that when you study statistics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlier
    I have a masters in computer science, and worked in analytics for about 4 years....so yes I know what an outlier is..no need to be so condescending....you don't have to totally discount it, they are still confirmed cases and not an outlier given the entire data set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

A 7 day average should strip out outliers to a certain extent though

what does your vast statistical knowlege tell you when looking at this? is that line trending up or down?

and yes i studied stats in college.

522918.JPG

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    A 7 day average should strip out outliers to a certain extent though
    In most derivations of data then the outlier is removed and a median is used over an average, which I'm assuming Prof. Nolan's team is using.

what does your vast statistical knowlege tell you when looking at this? is that line trending up or down?

522918.JPG
    Because there's an outlier in the data...... I explained this above.
    An example:
    Naive interpretation of statistics derived from data sets that include outliers may be misleading. For example, if one is calculating the average temperature of 10 objects in a room, and nine of them are between 20 and 25 degrees Celsius, but an oven is at 175 °C, the median of the data will be between 20 and 25 °C but the mean temperature will be between 35.5 and 40 °C. In this case, the median better reflects the temperature of a randomly sampled object (but not the temperature in the room) than the mean;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

I have a masters in computer science, and worked in analytics for about 4 years....so yes I know what an outlier is..no need to be so condescending....you don't have to totally discount it, they are still confirmed cases and not an outlier given the data set.

It's also good mathematical practice to only automatically disregard an outlier if that particular data point was the result of a measurement error. So I am with you... include it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Is there any evidence or scientific discussion with regards to anectodal evidence that the 'second wave' of Covid19 in Europe is not resulting in a big uptick in hospitalisation ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement