Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Guns kill a tiny percentage of the population

220px-Guns_Don%27t_Kill_People_Rappers_Do.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

khalessi wrote: »
    Doesn't sound lazy to me, she sounds worried and concerned, no wrose then HCW in March and April and still now that I am talking to. People are allowed express concerns. Well done working throught it but dont tell me that you have not once been concerned or not had proper PPe or restrictions in your workplace.

Our company is actually very strict, I'm happy to be working actually, I'm contracting so was worried I'd be let go. I'm more worried about providing for my family than the virus actually. I'm doing the simple things and I'm not fearful of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

How many schools are there in Germany. Tens of thousands I would guess.

41 in Berlin, something like 5% of schools there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Yet they still manufacture them every day??

Some comparison:)

In America they have to live with gun violence, we have many precautions to reduce the risk of gun violence

We can put safety precautions in to reduce the risk of this virus too, letting kids go back to school in the current form is not safe. It would like handing kids loaded guns and hoping the don't shoot up the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

And what about parents who have to work to, you know..

Keep the world going?

“Keep the world going”... I didn’t know that was the prime of indeed any responsibility of a parent as part of their daily regular lives but you live and learn. They should ALL be given a cape with a big ‘S’ on the back.

Right.

Parents who have accepted the responsibility of having children are primarily responsible for their welfare and wellbeing. That’s not even up for debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Woody79 wrote:
    Why doesn't the government pay private companies like these to send out these new saliva test kits to every household in the country once a month.

Doesn't require a visit to a lab, kits are posted out and sent back to labs.

If the household doesn't do the test there is a financial penalty or even pay people to do tests or a reduction in TV licence?
    Your link didn't work so i dont know what site you were on about.

1. Using a private company to do anything would cost a fortune. The HSE wouldn't have any control over their procedures, standards or accreditation.
    2. Who's to say this "new test" is even reliable.
    3. It would still require analysis at the same labs where swabs are being processed. We don't have the capacity to process an extra ~5 million tests a month.
    4. People won't comply. A fine isn't much of a threat when people dont pay for their tv licenses in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

With regards the hospital numbers, someone posted a few days ago (may have been a quote from Philip Nolan, though I could be wrong), that although children are showing up in the stats as having been treated in hospital for Covid, no child had actually been hospitalised purely for Covid. In the majority of cases, they presented to hospital for a different reason and were routinely tested upon arrival and subsequently tested positive.

I wonder how many of those 19 currently in hospital fall under the same category?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

niallo27 wrote: »
    She sounds lazy to me, wants to sit on her hole on full pay. I'm working through all this, I follow the rules, why can't she. Does she expect full pay for doing **** all.

Hitting new low on boards aren't you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

9 people died on our roads last week.

Fun week leading into the roads this week...

1000s died of smoking related illness this year.

Fun week leading into shops legally selling cigarettes this week....

Weirdest post iv'e read on the forum thus far.

I know you've a point but i'll be darned if i know what it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Guns kill a tiny percentage of the population so does that mean they're not dangerous?

1.35 million die on the worlds roads each year.

Do the comparrison in your head

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

The first Irish prisoner has tested positive in Dochas Women’s Prison, Dublin. Was in quarantine and tested upon arrival.
    Might recommend my friends in education go and work there instead.

I was a teacher, can't even express my relief at having gotten a new job just in the nick of time. I left because although it's fulfilling to watch your students grow and mature (and it can be a great laugh), it's a thankless profession and the public absolutely detest teachers for whatever reason. This whole pandemic has really shown that, and we're going to be fairly hard pushed to find new recruits if teachers are badly hit by this (my money is on "they will be"). Looks like the era of schools as (effectively) free childcare is coming to an end.

Back in April, the death rate was between 20 and 50, until the middle of May when it dropped to about 10. I wonder will we see those numbers again in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Strumms wrote: »
    “Keep the world going”... I didn’t know that was the prime of indeed any responsibility of a parent as part of their daily regular lives but you live and learn. They should ALL be given a cape with a big ‘S’ on the back.

Right.

Parents who have accepted the responsibility of having children are primarily responsible for their welfare and wellbeing. That’s not even up for debate.
    Yep.

And to do all that you need money.

Who's going to provide that if every parent has to raise their child every hour of the week whilst they can't work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

xhomelezz wrote:
    It's not only about taking tens of thousands swabs a day, but be able to process them and trace contacts as fast as possible.
    The number of tests released each day is the number of tests analysed and processed each day.

We dont know much about the system of communicating these reuslts. Is it automated, does it work 9-5, 8-8. Is it prone to delays when there is ~13k results to send out.

Weirdest post iv'e read on the forum thus far.

I know you've a point but i'll be darned if i know what it is :)

My point is smoking is a public health danger.

Why doesn't the government ban smoking?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

With regards the hospital numbers, someone posted a few days ago (may have been a quote from Philip Nolan, though I could be wrong), that although children are showing up in the stats as having been treated in hospital for Covid, no child had actually been hospitalised purely for Covid. In the majority of cases, they presented to hospital for a different reason and were routinely tested upon arrival and subsequently tested positive.

I wonder how many of those 19 currently in hospital fall under the same category?

Most who tested positive at the beginning were hospitalised without a reason. I remember in March in Cork there was 3 lads who tested positive after returning from Italy and they were immediately admitted to the Mercy hospital for no particular reason other than as a precaution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Very good point. I'd say at least 2 or 3 which is a huge percentage of total.

Very good point. I'd say at least 2 or 3 which is a huge percentage of total.

There were 3 cases confirmed in hospitals yesterday alone which arose as a result of hospital testing

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

1.35 million die on the worlds roads each year.

Do the comparrison in your head

Covid has killed around 800,000 worldwide already so by the years end, worldwide covid, give or take... it’s going to responsible for adding another 1.2 million deaths on this planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

There were 3 cases confirmed in hospitals yesterday alone which arose as a result of hospital testing

Thanks. There you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Covid has killed around 800,000 worldwide already so by the years end, worldwide covid, give or take... it’s going to responsible for adding another 1.2 million deaths on this planet.

Not so, the median age of death in Ireland and the facilities those people resided in, suggests the people that passed on were unlikely to survive this year regardless.

Now please don't respond with faux outrage, its a fact of life

Be interesting to see case numbers today after big numbers the last two saturdays, there doesn’t seem to be any backlog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Your link didn't work so i dont know what site you were on about.

1. Using a private company to do anything would cost a fortune. The HSE wouldn't have any control over their procedures, standards or accreditation.
    2. Who's to say this "new test" is even reliable.
    3. It would still require analysis at the same labs where swabs are being processed. We don't have the capacity to process an extra ~5 million tests a month.
    4. People won't comply. A fine isn't much of a threat when people dont pay for their tv licenses in the first place.

You can get a private Covid test done for less than the cost of the HSE test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Not so, the median age of death in Ireland and the facilities those people resided in, suggests the people that passed on were unlikely to survive this year regardless.

Any evidence that all of the unfortunate grandparents who passed in the nursing homes "were unlikely to survive this year regardless "?

Have you ever heard of the term Sociopath?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Is that not his point?

As dangerous as driving?

Any evidence that all of the unfortunate grandparents who passed in the nursing homes "were unlikely to survive this year regardless "?

Have you ever heard of the term Sociopath?

650,000 died from flu last year.

I take it you care about those deaths as much as covid deaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Prior to Covid if you were walking down the street talking to a friend about last night's match and met a neighbour who informed you that his granny had died you would give your sympathies, say goodbye and walk on with your friend while continuing to talk about the match. Now, you're supposed to fall on the ground wailing and weeping because of another Covid death. In fact, you shouldn't really be out walking with your friend at all. Absolute nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

650,000 died from flu last year.

I take it you care about those deaths as much as covid deaths.

I'm talking about Irish elderly people who your pal said were unlikely to see out the rest of the year.

Your whataboutery is irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

That’s interesting. So due to current testing nearly being at an all time high and therefore finding more cases, the thinking seemed to be that it was hospitalisations and deaths we need to watch to give us a true indication of how serious things were. Now it seems the numbers being hospitalised aren’t really giving us the true picture either. We are probably averaging 3-4 deaths per week, some of these could possibly even be historical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I’ve just been talking on the phone to a friend of mine who is an SNA in a school, LOVES her job but dreading going back, absolutely dreading it... she is in a class with kids one or two which have learning / behavioral issues too...

Shes an SNA, what kind of class was she expecting to be in?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement