Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If I was in Dublin i'd be out showing off my beautiful face as well, nice to see some people call out some of this bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It’s a shame there can’t be a proper protest against the management of this crisis that isn’t infiltrated by such fringe elements

Oh BLM are out and about as well, could be a clash between the right and left yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

I share the sentiment but protesting is too left wing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

john4321 wrote: »
    So from the IT article about this protest.

"The protest, which is being organised by the group Health Freedom Ireland with support from Yellow Vest Ireland, has attracted support and publicity from far-right figures, although Health Freedom Ireland has said it is a “non-political organisation”.

The group is led by Maeve Murran, a “kinesiologist” and anti-vaccination campaigner, and Kelly Johnson, a homeopath who has claimed vaccines can cause autism.

"The group said it has planned a peaceful protest which will be addressed by, among others, Dolores Cahill, the chair of the Irish Freedom Party and Ben Gilroy, a self-described anti-eviction campaigner who has been banned from acting as a legal adviser by the courts.

The group has been organising buses from around the country and selling branded merchandise."

Not sure it deserves much airtime to be honest. It's more like a grifter convention.

They've been protesting in Dublin most Saturdays for the last few weeks. Usually ends up in a fight with Antifa

https://twitter.com/ssheil94/status/1297156441355309060?s=09

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

If antifa and the water protesters join too it could be a scene from gangs of new York.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Lovin your man's RTE t-shirt, decent turn out it

Screenshot-20200822-144912.jpg

I hope they all had a big group hug and kiss to prove their point ;)

Oh BLM are out and about as well, could be a clash between the right and left yet.

Nothing new, there's been clashes last few weekends, handbags at best before Gardai stepped in.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    If antifa and the water protesters join too it could be a scene from gangs of new York.

Antifa are there...

Mandrake and Martina's point as I read it is that we do not have the staff to PROCESS that amount of tests every week , not the simplicity of the test .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Woody79 wrote:
    Current situation seems to be working great(see attached) .I thought this was a forum for debate, not don't knock the status quo because your wrong and you simply don't understand. Paul Reid would call the above example as an outlier or some other yarn/spin. People are cross at this stage and rightly so.
    What has contact tracing got to do with laboratory testing. They're two separate services.

And if saliva testing was added to the mix, who's to say that wouldn't delay reporting and contact tracing further.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

It doesnt matter what other countries are doing. You have to see whats applicable to Ireland. I wouldnt heed what the USA and UK are doing in terms of testing. The USA is out of control and will use any test they can get their hands on. The UK never consulted Public Health England or their NHS labs to implement testing. The bought millions of pounds worth of antibody tests and then couldnt use them.

There will continue to be "new tests that claim to be better, faster, and cheaper.

Oh it only costs X amount of euro, it only takes Y minutes. It's done on an analyser, sure it couldnt be that hard.

We CANNOT continue ask more and more and more of laboratory services without extra staff and support to do it. Not just money, actual investment.

And thats what people dont understand. What it actually takes to provide mass testing. ON TOP of other routine lab services.

100% Martina, you are not going be able to touch RT-PCR for test window pre-symptomatic testing.

These retard tests rely on people to be in later stages when they are actually sick as they detect chemical changes in the body when its stressed/sick so you miss those who are already infected but yet to show symptoms...and do they work on people who don't have symptoms at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Looks like 157 positive tests yesterday, dashboard just updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This might be an interesting experiment!
    A German university has organised a series of concerts under coronavirus conditions, hoping the mass experiment involving 4,000 people will determine whether large events can safely resume

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/aug/22/coronavirus-live-news-global-deaths-near-800000-australian-state-of-queensland-brings-in-new-restrictions?page=with:block-5f40f8178f08f9fdc758b5f7#block-5f40f8178f08f9fdc758b5f7

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Mandrake and Martina's point as I read it is tha we do not have the staff to PROCESS that amount of tests every week , not the simplicity of the test .

Private sector?

We have to be really good at something to get out of this.

SD for two years while other countries such as China austrailia Vietnam New Zealand can go back to normal except for putting out little fires from time to time. Its very depressing how reactionary and behind the curve most of Europe is in this and we are very much average in the class in Europe on this. Alot of govt/civil servants going on holidays in August and Paul Reid admitting he had dismantled some of the testing infrasture to save taxpayers money. Total spin to be honest and very conservative and reactionary.

157 postive swabs from 6758 tests

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

A good few cases left over from yesterday as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Absolutely massive, we need a new game plan, this isn't working and it's going to get worse when the schools open. Best possible outcome is FF say they've made a mistake and say they can't haddle it and let FG have another go at it.

fritzelly wrote: »
    A good few cases left over from yesterday as well?

I dont have yesterdays numbers to hand but I dont think there's that many.

Pretty sure its fairly close for the last few days, could be about 20 or so out. Open to correction on that though, the numbers are on my laptop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I dont have yesterdays numbers to hand but I dont think there's that many.

Pretty sure its fairly close for the last few days, could be about 20 or so out. Open to correction on that though, the numbers are on my laptop

94 yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Strange increase on less tests, there’s no backlog as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Not great from a positivity percentage point of view

Absolutely massive, we need a new game plan, this isn't working and it's going to get worse when the schools open. Best possible outcome is FF say they've made a mistake and say they can't haddle it and let FG have another go at it.

Not sure what a "new game plan" would do. Yeah in that case your looking at an election.

But anyway,

Based on yesterday's testing data theres a hell of alot of testing going on which is a good thing, hunt it out and target the settings that need testing

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/integrated-information-service-testing-and-contact-tracing-dashboard-21-august-2020.pdf

Private sector?

We have to be really good at something to get out of this.

SD for two years while other countries such as China austrailia Vietnam New Zealand can go back to normal except for putting out little fires from time to time. Its very depressing how reactionary and behind the curve most of Europe is in this and we are very much average in the class in Europe on this. Alot of govt/civil servants going on holidays in August and Paul Reid admitting he had dismantled some of the testing infrasture to save taxpayers money. Total spin to be honest and very conservative and reactionary.

Those countries you mention are not " back to normal ".

And as for the private sector testing?
    Who will pay for that on top of public Covid tests ?
    I could see Joe Public paying for 1 or 2 tests but rapidly getting fed up of it soon enough .

Maybe some corporations will send their staff for testing and pay for it ?
    But as Mandrake has said these tests only pick up those already sick so it is a lot of money spent on something which is closing a door after the horse is already bolted.

Asymptomatic people who can be spreading needs to be picked up as it has been in the last few weeks.
    I would like money being put into more funding for our present test and trace system so it can be speeded up .
    Then we might be able to get " back to normal ", if that is possible without a vaccine , sooner .

What has contact tracing got to do with laboratory testing. They're two separate services.

GP was pointing out in delays of getting test results back. Patient had symptoms for over a week before results came back. Testing is not of massive benefit if it is slow and hence not followed up with timely tracing, hence the phrase "testing and tracing" . You can't trace without efficient testing. The general public would not see at as "two separate services". You get tested in order to trace the spread, its really to help others and not really about yourself. Am I wrong on this, I don't follow your logic at all re: above?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The fact that cases don’t seem to be increasing exponentially isnt a bad sign

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Not sure if posted but we did well to keep prisoners safe for this long

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0822/1160673-ireland-coronavirus/

EDIT: Silly me just reading the headline. Prisoner was in quarantine and the only contact was with staff, who would have been wearing PPE
    mloc123 wrote: »
    Not great from a positivity percentage point of view

Am I right in saying it’s about 2.3%?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

What policy change do you think FG would make? As far as I can gather, Leo wants to loosen the restrictions further.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement