Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭seanb85

Trying to find a link to prove either side correct, struggling. Can't find anything to say it won't register a positive for any other coronavirus besides covid 19..

It uses a primer that is specific for SARS-CoV-2 RNA. You will not detect other viruses.

The other side isn't an argument, its nonsense.

Have a read

https://www.fda.gov/media/136231/download

12 out of 26 counties have had less than 10 cases in the past 2 weeks. Dublin and Kildare account for 57% of total cases in past 2 weeks. Of the counties with the top 10 incidences, 7 are in Leinster. None in Connacht, none in Ulster.

Has the level of disease increased or decreased in most counties in the country in the last two weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

12 out of 26 counties have had less than 10 cases in the past 2 weeks. Dublin and Kildare account for 57% of total cases in past 2 weeks. Of the counties with the top 10 incidences, 7 are in Leinster. None in Connacht, none in Ulster.

How does that pan out when looked at against population size?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

How do you get your hands on some hydroxychloroquine?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

owlbethere wrote: »
    I get why someone or more than one would be anti lockdown but anti mask as well on top of that. Surely if your were anti lockdown you would be for measures and precautions to slow the spread of the virus and mask wearing would be part of that. The only thing I can see is that people who went out marching on an anti lockdown and anti mask march badly want to see disease spread around the population of Ireland. They are the real curtain twitchers who badly want to see their neighbours drop dead with disease.
    Did you not read the names of who was involved in this protest? They are among the most stupid people in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

She says it picks up any coronavirus RNA, have you a link?

NVRL uses Cobas, it’s very specific as it tests for partial nucleotide sequences of the SARS-Cov-2.

How do you get your hands on some hydroxychloroquine?

Fish tanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

seanb85 wrote: »
    Has the level of disease increased or decreased in most counties in the country in the last two weeks?

In Leinster it has increased significantly. Marginally in Munster due to clusters in Tipperary, Clare and Limerick. Connacht has seen no significant increase in case numbers, nor has Ulster.
    You can’t just ignore half the country and say it’s increasing nationwide. Places like Leitrim haven’t had a single case in last 2 weeks. 2 in Westmeath, 3 in Mayo, 5 in Kerry etc.

In Leinster it has increased significantly. Marginally in Munster due to clusters in Tipperary, Clare and Limerick. Connacht has seen no significant increase in case numbers, nor has Ulster.

So in most counties in the country it has increased?

So in most counties in the country it has increased?

Reread what I said. You can’t ignore half the country.

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Ireland didn’t have enough instrumentation, they relied on sending samples to Germany and that’s probably still the case.

More excuses....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Other options re testing that we should be looking at before schools open, we need to open our minds ..yes we have gold standard PCR tests... its not about getting rid of them but looking at cheap mass testing with near instant turnaround that could be used in at risk areas like factories, GP surgerys, work place and schools and in homes... no lab necessary

Info on the theory follows... question it.. pull it apart... but at least listen to the discussion

https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-640/

start video at 6.30 to get to testing part its the next 45 mins but listen to the first 10mins at least

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.22.20136309v2

pre print article referred too

https://twitter.com/michaelmina_lab/status/1279086348310392840?lang=en

Reread what I said. You can’t ignore half the country.

The areas that aren't seeing notable increases are Connacht and the Ulster counties that are in the Republic. Which are also amongst the least populated.

3.7 out of 4.9 million live in either Leinster or Munster.

The areas that aren't seeing notable increases are Connacht and the Ulster counties that are in the Republic. Which are also amongst the least populated.

3.7 out of 4.9 million live in either Leinster or Munster.

So just ignore the other 1.2 million, right.
    Last time I checked, there’s 26 counties in the country and half of the country is 13 counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

I dont have yesterdays numbers to hand but I dont think there's that many.

Pretty sure its fairly close for the last few days, could be about 20 or so out. Open to correction on that though, the numbers are on my laptop
    33 swabs from previous days not counted yet but they might not all be cases.

So just ignore the other 1.2 million, right.
    Last time I checked, there’s 26 counties in the country and half of the country is 13 counties.

Also to add to this, the 500,000 people in Cork have one of the lowest incidences in the country, so you can take them out of your calculations too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Some people are gas, 'Oh look my house is on fire, it's grand though it's not the neighborhood' 'Oh no the neighborhood is on fire, it's grand it looks like that was just a outlier, at least the school isn't on fire''Oh no the school is on fire, it's grand let's sent the kids back it's just a spark'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Oranage2 wrote: »
    So people are gas, 'Oh look my house is on fire, it's grand though it's not the neighborhood' 'Oh no the neighborhood is on fire, it's grand it looks like that was just a outlier, at least the school isn't on fire''Oh no the school is on fire, it's grand let's sent the kids back it's just a spark'

This is, essentially, the 'plan'

Oranage2 wrote: »
    So people are gas, 'Oh look my house is on fire, it's grand though it's not the neighborhood' 'Oh no the neighborhood is on fire, it's grand it looks like that was just a outlier, at least the school isn't on fire''Oh no the school is on fire, it's grand let's sent the kids back it's just a spark'

I’d rather not argue with people who ignore half the country, but that’s just me. Imagine how people in COVID-free Leitrim feel :rolleyes:

I’d rather not argue with people who ignore half the country, but that’s just me. Imagine how people in COVID-free Leitrim feel :rolleyes:

Grand so.

• Advertisement

No more nose swabs? Why a saliva test for COVID-19 could be a 'game changer'

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/salivadirect-covid-test-1.5693375

Yale are making it opensource and free.

speckle wrote: »
    Other options re testing that we should be looking at before schools open, we need to open our minds ..yes we have gold standard PCR tests... its not about getting rid of them but looking at cheap mass testing with near instant turnaround that could be used in at risk areas like factories, GP surgerys, work place and schools and in homes... no lab necessary

Info on the theory follows... question it.. pull it apart... but at least listen to the discussion

https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-640/

start video at 6.30 to get to testing part its the next 45 mins but listen to the first 10mins at least

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.22.20136309v2

pre print article referred too

https://twitter.com/michaelmina_lab/status/1279086348310392840?lang=en

There is definitely some role for mass testing.

I suppose we are small country and should just piggy back on what some other counties are doing. UK Germany are doing saliva tests. I heard a poster earlier this week saying Greece was testing every other passenger on incoming flights. We need to be upping testing massively, rather than reacting when cases rise. Kingston Mills was banging on about this, this week re saliva tests. As Who says test, test, test.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Onnagh Mc Guirk saying there the testing their doing is for coronavirus not covid19, it shows a positive for any coronavirus, is that true? Luke O'Neill getting serious boos.

Well you seem to believe it might be true otherwise I doubt you would have brought it up ,given that you know well most people here think that sounds very unlikely. So what is your theory then as to why we may be using tests that misleadingly identify anyone with a coronavirus as having Covid 19? Genuinely am curious when things like this pop up over and over again. Because the posters are definitely suggesting something and alluding to some kind of nefarious goings on but very rarely commit to any kind of theory or reasoning as to why they believe there is a conspiratorial side to the testing methodology.

Maybe it's out of embarrassment of stating their true beliefs as they know they are generally completely unverifiable and implausible.

But like ... have you forgotten how community transmission works? Or are the whole of Leitrim staying behind locked doors?

It might be Covid free now, but I doubt that will still be the case in 4 weeks time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Also to add to this, the 500,000 people in Cork have one of the lowest incidences in the country, so you can take them out of your calculations too.

What was the growth or reduction in cases by country per 100k population over 14 days?

Your figures are interesting but the immediate defensive position regarding Cork (or youth) takes from it.

I'm not saying you're wrong by any means but a table of cases by population would stymie any detractors.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    But like ... have you forgotten how community transmission works? Or are the whole of Leitrim staying behind locked doors?

What does that have to do with Leitrim having no cases? If there was increasing infection across the country, every county would be seeing increased cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

speckle wrote: »

That's not an argument you're likely to win with De Gascun. They've mentioned a number of tests over the months, including mass tests but they are wedded to accuracy. Glynn said there is work underway in relation to other ways of testing kids and that we will hear about it.

What does that have to do with Leitrim having no cases? If there was increasing infection across the country, every county would be seeing increased cases.

Leitrim might not have any cases now, but that is very unlikely to continue to be the case the longer community transmission rises.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Leitrim might not have any cases now, but that is very unlikely to continue to be the case the longer community transmission rises.

Community transmission has stabilised. That’s why the lockdown in Laois and Offaly ended.

• Advertisement

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Well you seem to believe it might be true otherwise I doubt you would have brought up given that you know most people think that sounds very unlikely. So what is your theory then as to why we may be using tests that misleadingly identify anyone with a coronavirus as having Covid 19? Genuinely am curious when things like this pop up over and over again. Because the posters are definitely suggesting something and alluding to some kind of nefarious goings on but very rarely commit to any kind of theory or reasoning as to why they believe there is a conspiratorial side to the testing methodology

Don't know that's why I asked, it seemed possible though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement