Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No more nose swabs? Why a saliva test for COVID-19 could be a 'game changer'

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/salivadirect-covid-test-1.5693375

Yale are making it opensource and free.
    No doubt our teams will take a look at it. That piece also said it's only got emergency authorisation so far.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    What was the growth or reduction in cases by country per 100k population over 14 days?

Your figures are interesting but the immediate defensive position regarding Cork (or youth) takes from it.

I'm not saying you're wrong by any means but a table of cases by population would stymie any detractors.
    Reread what I said. You can’t ignore half the country.

This was 11 August 14 day incidence by county. Anyone with up to date one to compare?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Community transmission has stabilised. That’s why the lockdown in Laois and Offaly ended.

There’s obviously a cohort on here who just want us all locked down indefinately to suit whatever agenda they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Well you seem to believe it might be true otherwise I doubt you would have brought up given that you know most people think that sounds very unlikely. So what is theory then as to why we may be using tests that misleadingly identify anyone with a coronavirus as having Covid 19?

Maybe there is confusion with those saliva tests mentioned earlier, these tests don’t test for specific RNA sequences they test for chemical changes in the body when it gets sick...the problem is what are you sick from Covid, Rhinovirus, common cold, flu or food poisoning?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

is_that_so wrote: »
    No doubt our teams will take a look at it. That piece also said it's only got emergency authorisation so far.

The Yale one is FDA approved, it's an emergency unless I read the wrong memo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

My comment on Cork has absolutely nothing to do with what county I’m from. The poster stated 3 point something million live in Munster/Leinster, I said take .5 million out of that because Cork’s incidence is so low. That’s a fact, not a bias.
    I’m not arguing anymore, the numbers are there to see, if people choose to define 7/8 counties as “most of the country” then so be it, a strange way of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

My comment on Cork has absolutely nothing to do with what county I’m from. The poster stated 3 point something million live in Munster/Leinster, I said take .5 million out of that because Cork’s incidence is so low. That’s a fact, not a bias.
    I’m not arguing anymore, the numbers are there to see, if people choose to define 7/8 counties as “most of the country” then so be it, a strange way of thinking.

Don't even bother mate, I reckon if you said black others would say white

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I give up. The 14 day figure per 100k went up in 14 counties and down in 10 with 2 unchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Community transmission has stabilised. That’s why the lockdown in Laois and Offaly ended.

I hope that is true. However, I'm not saying that I don't believe you, but I don't believe that.

Not here for a row, in fact, most of the time I just lurk. But I am quite concerned about what is going to happen over the next 4 weeks. Admittedly, more because of the fact that none of us know rather than me thinking I have all the answers.

It could all stabilise
    It could go mental when the remaining sectors reopen between next week and Sep 13

There is something very stressful about having to make personal decisions and having to put trust in those making other ones, when you really have no idea what the outcome will be, and it doesn't help that for every study that tells us it'll be grand, there's a counter one telling us we are doomed.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Not having a go but I've no idea where any other poster is from on this forum except 1 Corkonian. Yes we all know cork is doing their part better than any other county Yada Yada Yada

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Leitrim might not have any cases now, but that is very unlikely to continue to be the case the longer community transmission rises.
    Leitrim has now gone 20 days with no new cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Did you not read the names of who was involved in this protest? They are among the most stupid people in the country.

Yep, don't they have connections to the biggest wh0ring dirtiest tramp in Ireland?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Wild Field 1831

What does that have to do with Leitrim having no cases? If there was increasing infection across the country, every county would be seeing increased cases.

The more sparsely populated a county generally the less Covid spread. Even in the April peak Leitrim's levels were low.

Plenty of areas in the US are Leitrim equivalents. But the country as a whole is doing poorly.

Putting such emphasis on a county of Leitrim's size and population density is undermining your argument.

Great Cork is doing well now but things change quickly with Covid outbreaks. You go on about Cork as if ye're some sort of superior breed intellectually and physically, and your compliance with anti Covid measures is so great ye wear ye're masks to bed.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I hope that is true. However, I'm not saying that I don't believe you, but I don't believe that.

Not here for a row, in fact, most of the time I just lurk. But I am quite concerned about what is going to happen over the next 4 weeks. Admittedly, more because of the fact that none of us know rather than me thinking I have all the answers.

It could all stabilise
    It could go mental when the remaining sectors reopen between next week and Sep 13

There is something very stressful about having to make personal decisions and having to put trust in those making other ones, when you really have no idea what the outcome will be, and it doesn't help that for every study that tells us it'll be grand, there's a counter one telling us we are doomed.

:eek:

We could all die from anything next week. Living like that is not healthy. Get on with life and look after your family, ignore everyone else.

The more sparsely populated a county generally less Covid spread. Even in the April peak Leitrim's levels were low.

Plenty of areas in the US are Leitrim equivalents. But the country as a whole is doing poorly.

Putting such emphasis on a county of Leitrim's size and population density is undermining your argument.

Great Cork is doing well now but things change quickly with Covid outbreaks. You go on about Cork as if ye're some sort of superior breed intellectually and physically, and your compliance with anti Covid measures is so great ye wear ye're masks to bed.

Galway must be proper mask wearers too. Would ya stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

lukas8888 wrote: »

It doesn't matter a damn what the county statistics are. It isn't the football or hurling championships. If there's a meat plant in a county then that county is likely to have cases. Having no cases in your county really is nothing to be proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

This was 11 August 14 day incidence by county. Anyone with up to date one to compare?

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1296873609412194313?s=20

Up to Wednesday

Galway must be proper mask wearers too. Would ya stop.

Not as good as Cark though, everything is rosy in Cark :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

KrustyUCC wrote: »

As well as Cork, Kerry, Galway and Mayo also contradicting the claims here that counties with significant populations can't contain community transmission.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

You go on about Cork as if ye're some sort of superior breed intellectually and physically.

I see it's your first time dealing with a Cork person. You'll get used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Oh my god. I met someone. A local nonetheless. Well, she's adamant that the disposal masks are not disposal and they can be washed and hung up to dry. Do you know the blue surgical masks? They are flimsy blue paper type of masks. Her mask is so frayed now, there would be no protection whatsoever from it. I was able to see parts of her face where the mask was wearing down from the washes.

I mean like that's like rewashing condoms or washing disposable period pads. Christ almighty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Get a load of these lunatics

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0822/1160698-anti-lockdown-protest/

Tin foilers at the ready folks

As well as Cork, Kerry, Galway and Mayo also contradicting the claims here that counties with significant populations can't contain community transmission.

Galway is just as impressive as Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

lukas8888 wrote: »

Look, don't misunderstand me. I'm not looking for another lockdown. But for as long as it's in the country, it is virtually impossible for any county to stay Covid free for very long.

It's great that Leitrim has been Covid free for 20 days. But New Zealand went 102 days and that is an entire country, yet it's back.

A nationwide lockdown is not a good idea. It would be better if Covid could just fcuk off by itself, but it isn't going to do that either.

The "agenda" that some people might have re: a second lockdown is, I would guess in most cases, because they have a vulnerable family member that they are terrified of giving it to. In their eyes it is just as selfish for you to want them to go on about their business and get on with things as it is for them to want to stay in lockdown.

It is very easy to see that the economy will be screwed if we go into another lockdown. But it is a huge ask to expect people with very sick and compromised loved ones to put that aside for the good of someone else's pocket, even if they know that it makes financial, albeit clinical, sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Where do we get the testing numbers and positivity rates on this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

polesheep wrote: »
    It doesn't matter a damn what the county statistics are. It isn't the football or hurling championships. If there's a meat plant in a county then that county is likely to have cases. Having no cases in your county really is nothing to be proud of.
    So by your logic if Dublin reports no new cases for 7 days it is not relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Micky 32 wrote: »
    There’s obviously a cohort on here who just want us all locked down indefinately to suit whatever agenda they have.

Lockdown has lost its meaning. A lockdown isnt people being advised not to visit different households.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

3 people in Eurofins lab in Sandyford have tested positive for the virus

I see it's your first time dealing with a Cork person. You'll get used to it.

I have had the pleasure before..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

owlbethere wrote: »
    Oh my god. I met someone. A local nonetheless. Well, she's adamant that the disposal masks are not disposal and they can be washed and hung up to dry. Do you know the blue surgical masks? They are flimsy blue paper type of masks. Her mask is so frayed now, there would be no protection whatsoever from it. I was able to see parts of her face where the mask was wearing down from the washes.

I mean like that's like rewashing condoms or washing disposable period pads. Christ almighty.

Might as well be wearing a tissue over her mouth for all the good it would do tbh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement