Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

They can't be stupid enough to try enforcing legal restrictions on the number of people gathering in a house after last weeks events.

Can they?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

They can't be stupid enough to try enforcing legal restrictions on the number of people gathering in a house after last weeks events.

Can they?

Oh just wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Can they?

They would certainly be arrogant enough to try it. I suspect though such a law if passed would be struck down as unconstitutional. Private property rights comes into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

They would certainly be arrogant enough to try it. I suspect though such a law if passed would be struck down as unconstitutional. Private property rights comes into play.

The risk is it can be dressed up under the health act to allow the ammendments to be made.

Very little would be unconstitutional under the health act

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

theballz wrote: »
    One of the apartments in my block (south dublin) really nice area. Never any issues - there is a party with easily 20 people in there.

Now I didn’t know what to do, neighbors were observing and I wasn’t sure to call the Garda or not.

Turns out my neighbour called the Garda... three hours ago and still no sign of them

Essentially there is no law in this country against such behaviour. The "civil liberties" crowd won't like it but we are in a lonely group in Europe in that you can behave with such abandon in your home with zero consideration for others and face no consequences.

I don't think der polizei for example would be quite as understanding of fighting for ones right to party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

They might need to start with places like the Spanish Arch and Claddagh Basin in Galway first, it was apparently rammed with young ones there tonight.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

The risk is it can be dressed up under the health act to allow the ammendments to be made.

Very little would be unconstitutional under the health act

Yes , some sort of emergency health and safety legislation.
    Can see the guards now , kicking down the door and shouting " STAND AWAY FROM THE SAUSAGE ROLLS !" and forcing masks on the 20 rocking septuagenarians dancing to ABBA .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

shipposter wrote: »
    Nothing more annoying that being kept awake by a bunch of "mad yokes" at a house party blaring thier **** music.

I'm all for laws to have thier doors kicked in then brought around the back to be shot.

while i hate the same thing happening here, its 12:30 and your advocationg people being shot.....

maybe if these party animals had somewhere to drink and maintain social distancing they wouldnt be having house parties, but wait, we're the only Country in Europe with these ridiculous pub rules.

copeyhagen wrote: »
    while i hae the same thing happening here, its 12:30 and your advocationg people being shot.....

Yeah it's a bit much. A good flogging would do.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's a bit much. A good flogging would do.

staring at my sandles, thats a paddling... paddling the school canoe, oh you better believe thats a paddling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

A friend got an alert on the app saying she was in contact with a positive case.
    Made contact, got an appointment for a test. Needs a second one in 7 days.

I mentioned to her the possibility of the positive being through the wall of her house to the neighbours via Bluetooth.

It turned out one person next door was confirmed positive the same day as the alert was sent.
    So much for close contact :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

A friend got an alert on the app saying she was in contact with a positive case.

I mentioned to her the possibility of the positive being through the wall of her house to the neighbours via Bluetooth.

It turned out one person next door was confirmed positive the same day as the alert was sent.

correlation is not causation

Jeez, mad !
    Would they have been talking over the fence maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

The public health authorities has identified cases and clusters around house gatherings. The public health authorities and government is trying to control the spread of the virus, and that now includes within a home environment. Our government has asked us not to form in large house gatherings. They have narrowed this down again for us and recommended no more than 6 people within a home from a max of 3 households. If it shows that some people don't know how to follow this advice and it transpires that there's more cases and clusters surrounding private parties, our government is going to come down heavy and sign it into law and rightly so. If you and others don't want it signed into law, just follow the guidelines to curb the spread of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I have a Kercher power wash thing for cleaning the bricks. Now if anyone dared to blare out music after say 2am they'd get a hosing. If it is constant, one off I can live with.

It hasn't happened thankfully, touch wood we all look out for each other here, have the parties and so on, but know when enough is enough.

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Jeez, mad !
    Would they have been talking over the fence maybe?

Terraced house or apartment I'd say. Would definitely be in close enough proximity and often ****ty "cardboard" walls between them.

Should add. I'm not slagging off anyone's house. I live in a tiger era built terrace and know how many corners were cut in building them.

owlbethere wrote: »
    The public health authorities has identified cases and clusters around house gatherings. The public health authorities and government is trying to control the spread of the virus, and that now includes within a home environment. Our government has asked us not to form in large house gatherings. They have narrowed this down again for us and recommended no more than 6 people within a home from a max of 3 households. If it shows that some people don't know how to follow this advice and it transpires that there's more cases and clusters surrounding private parties, our government is going to come down heavy and sign it into law and rightly so. If you and others don't want it signed into law, just follow the guidelines to curb the spread of the virus.

Haha, does golf prevent the transmission of Covid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

From this past month how many of the people that tested positive from covid 19 actually die from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

What in the name of god are this government thinking - laws for garda to enter a home with no reason, laws to disperse house parties...
    What next sentencing without a trial

Is MM so deluded that he thinks any of this will make it past the raucous laughter of any sane TD

Will someone for the sake of the nation invite him to a house party

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I have no intention of addressing the nonsense in your comment least of all your attempt to make it personal. The problem the government has is the Constitution is very strong on private property rights and the suggested laws by the incumbent clowns in my opinion are repugnant to the Constitution. Of course they could always hold a referendum to quash these rights, not a smart move during a pandemic .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Onesea wrote: »
    From this past month how many of the people that tested positive from covid 19 actually die from it?

Too early to say takes weeks.

But i would be hoping its become milder.

fritzelly wrote: »
    What in the name of god are this government thinking - laws for garda to enter a home with no reason, laws to disperse house parties...
    What next sentencing without a trial

Is MM so deluded that he thinks any of this will make it past the raucous laughter of any sane TD

I wouldnt be confident about the laughter, nothing has been up for discussion so far.

Once NPHET think up some hairbrained idea its implemented with little discussion or transparency under the public health umbrella.

Gardai with 5 weeks training in Templemore passed out last March to begin to implement those ridiculous 2km restrictions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

What are they going to do about house parties? Fcuking joke.

What are they doing about the meat factories and the new cases popping up in other factories around the country? Oh yeah, that's one place they won't make masks mandatory... But they think it's better to break up house parties?. I'm not going to judge people by having a bit of fun but jaysus, our government needs to make some better plans. They haven't been very good up to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Why am I still awake. God almighty I will regret this tomorrow, but what the heck, everyone has a downtime outside the received wisdom now and then I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

6 people in a house or visitors to a house as some house have a lot more people living in them then 6.
    So if if you have 5 household members are you only allowed one visitor.

I am driven demented with the lack of clarity and thinking of inviting the neighbours pets over to party all 7 of them. ;)

I don't disagree.
    But I cannot see the Garda Siochána doing anything except advising partiers to turn down or off the music and go home quietly now .
    Not unless they draft in some of those mercenaries/ rent a thugs that have been used for evictions recently .
    They have not been trained to behave in such a manner and I would say the garda union would be right in there straight away , supporting them in that .
    Laughed at the shoot ' em , flog em , comments , but the answer has to be somewhere in the middle , like most of the population of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I wouldnt be confident about the laughter, nothing has been up for discussion so far.

Once NPHET think up some hairbrained idea its implemented with little discussion or transparency under the public health umbrella.

Gardai with 5 weeks training in Templemore passed out last March to begin to implement those ridiculous 2km restrictions.

Any TD that supports such a notion while ignoring the constitution does not deserve to be a TD
    TD's are there to represent the people - not the whimsical ideas of MM

Every day I feel my blood boiling even more with FF in power

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

speckle wrote: »
    6 people in a house or visitors to a house as some house have a lot more people living in them then 6.
    So if if you have 5 household members are you only allowed one visitor.

I am driven demented with the lack of clarity and thinking of inviting the neighbours pets over to party all 7 of them. ;)

Nope it is house members plus 6 visitors as this was asked at one of the meetings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

I have no intention of addressing the nonsense in your comment least of all your attempt to make it personal. The problem the government has is the Constitution is very strong on private property rights and the suggested laws by the incumbent clowns in my opinion are repugnant to the Constitution. Of course they could always hold a referendum to quash these rights, not a smart move during a pandemic .

gardai have always had the right to call to a party to get kids to tone it down stop disturbing the peace.

And any suggestions of changes to laws are purely speculation and quite deliberate panic mongering nonsense.

Why are we discussing an unverified tweet of what someone 'thinks' might happen?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement