Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    gardai have always had the right to call to a party to get kids to tone it down stop disturbing the peace.

And any suggestions of changes to laws are purely speculation and quite deliberate panic mongering nonsense.

Why are we discussing an unverified tweet of what someone 'thinks' might happen?

Because he's been on the ball and like most journalists has some TD that has his ear...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Jeez, mad !
    Would they have been talking over the fence maybe?

No. Phones were within 2m for 15 minutes through a wall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

fritzelly wrote: »
    Because he's been on the ball and like most journalists has some TD that has his ear...

Yeah. Still unverified tweet.
    When will we know for sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

:D Purrfect solution I am going back to the 60s era and going to hand a saliva instant strip of paper to all my party goers. No entry unless you spit.. No idea how the cats will react to that.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Probably kite flying to keep al, the party people guessing !
    Won't be discussed at all in the end .

• Advertisement

I would 99% believe it - MM hates house parties...for whatever reason, maybe because...I won't say as I'll get a warning

speckle wrote: »
    :D Purrfect solution I am going back to the 60s era and going to hand a saliva instant strip of paper to all my party goers. No entry unless you spit.. No idea how the cats will react to that.:D

Might lick it and start singing " Covid does it better ..." ;)

I would 99% believe it - MM hates house parties...for whatever reason, maybe because...I won't say as I'll get a warning

Oh you can't leave it there ! Spill..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Probably kite flying to keep al, the party people guessing !
    Won't be discussed at all in the end .

Isn't there a massive danger though, in announcing their plan and date 2 weeks in advance, that plenty will have parties in the run up knowing the days of being able to do might be numbered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

gardai have always had the right to call to a party to get kids to tone it down stop disturbing the peace.

And any suggestions of changes to laws are purely speculation and quite deliberate panic mongering nonsense.

Why are we discussing an unverified tweet of what someone 'thinks' might happen?

You are correct they can call to a house and tell you to tone it down but I think what the OP is getting at is that they don't have the authority to enter a private house, which they don't without a warrent.

The private house part is where the issue lies, as was said during the week constitutionally and legally difficult to implement.

I don't see what is panic mongering ? Its a genuine line of conversation.

We'll know in about a months time but in reality the idea of Gardaí responding out to a report of 7 people in a house is fairly slim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

PM. I'll probably spill it then in fairness. haha

Thanks , that was brilliant ! Has held up very well over the years, that video .
    So is that what happened to poor MM ? ;)

Have to say feel at a distinct disadvantage among all the Corkonians tonight, lol ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Garda do not have the right to enter a private property without a warrant, this is what Martin and the rest of the clown show are suggesting they can change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Ha ha masking ahead of their time (keyboard player)

• Registered Users Posts: 86,252 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

MM and his government have lost the people, no one has faith in them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I wouldnt be confident about the laughter, nothing has been up for discussion so far.

Once NPHET think up some hairbrained idea its implemented with little discussion or transparency under the public health umbrella.

Gardai with 5 weeks training in Templemore passed out last March to begin to implement those ridiculous 2km restrictions.

Can you please just not speak ****.
    NPHET advise, that have absolutely no power at all. All the decisions are from the Government. They govern.

You know well the Templemore recruits weren't just thrown out on the frontline to implement restrictions:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/coronavirus-garda-recruits-to-be-deployed-after-just-one-week-in-templemore-1.4251712
    It's called managing resources. Alot of them ended up doing paperwork or helping out in the community. You may have seen the hire cars with gardai stickers on them. They were dropping clothes and personal items up to hospital patients and not setting up rolling checkpoints as you believe.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    MM and his government have lost the people, no one has faith in them

I think at this stage MM is losing the rest of his party

We've had months of "all in this together" and a collaborative sense of being in this together but since FF took over it has been one clusterf*ck after another

At a time when you need parity from all quarters MM and FF are like a wrecking ball

I never voted FF or FG last time around but by god LV and SH certainly endowed a sense of knowing what they were doing and getting the people on their side

MM has done nothing but alienate people (and journalists)
    He is the most uncharacteristic Taoiseach I can remember (but I am more than a little drunk)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They'll sneak in minimum pricing for alcohol to try and reduce house party's. It was always on the agenda, since the day this crisis started it was their golden ticket. And it will keep the Vintners happy.

Ha ha masking ahead of their time (keyboard player)

Just showed that to one of my kids.. 20 plus !

Couldn't believe it was made back in 1981 .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Can you please just not speak ****.
    NPHET advise, that have absolutely no power at all. All the decisions are from the Government. They govern.

You know well the Templemore recruits weren't just thrown out on the frontline to implement restrictions:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/coronavirus-garda-recruits-to-be-deployed-after-just-one-week-in-templemore-1.4251712
    It's called managing resources. Alot of them ended up doing paperwork or helping out in the community. You may have seen the hire cars with gardai stickers on them. They were dropping clothes and personal items up to hospital patients and not setting up rolling checkpoints as you believe.

Stop talking ****.

The government are rubberstamping NPHETs ideas with no debate.

I was stopped and questioned at a checkpoint in Westport by one of them, albeit with a more senior Gardai the other side of the road.

Just showed that to one of my kids.. 20 plus ! .

You have a good few kids in fairness

Just showed that to one of my kids.. 20 plus !

Couldn't believe it was made back in 1981 .

80's were the best for music

(don't pm if you cannot receive PM's back :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I don't disagree.
    But I cannot see the Garda Siochána doing anything except advising partiers to turn down or off the music and go home quietly now .
    Not unless they draft in some of those mercenaries/ rent a thugs that have been used for evictions recently .
    They have not been trained to behave in such a manner and I would say the garda union would be right in there straight away , supporting them in that .
    Laughed at the shoot ' em , flog em , comments , but the answer has to be somewhere in the middle , like most of the population of this country.

I think if you asked most people who have parents or Grandparents in their 60s or 70s should the government do what it takes to protect those people the best they can ....I would say most would agree these are extraordinary times and yes a bit of extra ‘encouragement’ in doing the right thing is needed... if this include a clip around the ear or a kick up the jacksy then that’s what needs to be done.

The schools and businesses like Pubs have been closed 5 months, people livelihoods are on the line if not in tatters. Yet the Airports are open, people are off to and fro on their Jollies and the virus makes a resurgence.... you have people dancing on bars, throwing house parties etc and people say ah sure it’s grand only a bit of the oul craic.

It’s just not good enough.

Garda do not have the right to enter a private property without a warrant, this is what Martin and the rest of the clown show are suggesting they can change.

So if they introduce a law stating no more than 6 people from 3 households are allowed in a private residence. A guard gets a call from a neighbor about a house party. They pull up and watch as multiple people enter the property, they suspect those entering the property are from separate households or they can count more than 6 enter the property. They ring a judge and explain the situation, the judge issues a warrant to enter the property and the guards enter the property....

It's no different than if the guards suspect it's a drug lab/brothel, criminal activity. The only difference is the speed of the warrant. In all other cases they could get a warrant and observe and then enter a day later. With a house party, a day later is pretty much useless.

So if they introduce a law stating no more than 6 people from 3 households are allowed in a private residence. A guard gets a call from a neighbor about a house party. They pull up and watch as multiple people enter the property, they suspect those entering the property are from separate households or they can count more than 6 enter the property. They ring a judge and explain the situation, the judge issues a warrant to enter the property and the guards enter the property....

It's no different than if the guards suspect it's a drug lab/brothel, criminal activity. The only difference is the speed of the warrant. In all other cases they could get a warrant and observe and then enter a day later. With a house party, a day later is pretty much useless.

Democracy was never at such risk IMO

I think at this stage MM is losing the rest of his party

We've had months of "all in this together" and a collaborative sense of being in this together but since FF took over it has been one clusterf*ck after another

At a time when you need parity from all quarters MM and FF are like a wrecking ball

I never voted FF or FG last time around but by god LV and SH certainly endowed a sense of knowing what they were doing and getting the people on their side

MM has done nothing but alienate people (and journalists)
    He is the most uncharacteristic Taoiseach I can remember (but I am more than a little drunk)

If you're more than a little drunk you are holding up very well with the debate .
    I am sober and am only copping on to the house party thing now , lol.
    Maybe I should retire gracefully :)

But yeah , I had such a sinking feeling the whole time over FF and MM taking over ..never again, not after the last time , ruined the country etc.
    But pushed it down and hoped it would be better .
    What an unmitigated fxxxing disaster, and dangerous to our health now , never mind the economy !

There is a whole world of difference between criminal activity and a private house party

How many people have been infected from house parties?
    How many have been infected from meat factories - which the government consistently avoid talking about

You have a good few kids in fairness

Haha, not 20 plus !

Yes, a few... good kids , Fintan , thanks

• Advertisement

Stop talking ****.

The government are rubberstamping NPHETs ideas with no debate.

I was stopped and questioned at a checkpoint in Westport by one of them, albeit with a more senior Gardai the other side of the road.

So you have a conversation and he said he was just a rookie outta Templemore?
    They have a templemore rookie badge?

I suggest you look at the recommendations from NPHET and the restrictions the government impose. At this stage they are way apart.
    Before with the previous government, the Covid subcommittee would meet and thrash out details. Make sure there's no confusion (or limit it).
    The last set, there was no subcommittee and there in lie the problem with all the confusion. Absolutely nothing to do with NPHET, all down to the ministers that signed off on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement