Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Living with the virus means living with restrictions to keep the R0 below 0.
    You want people with the virus to cure other people? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

A blocked nose in this humidity doesn't warrant going into isolation and locking down the house. Completely over reacting here.

How do you know that ?

This..is the problem. If your GP makes the call well it's on him if you have Covid and spread it , and he hasn't recommended testing
    But not reporting symptoms is an issue unless you are isolating ....which maybe you are ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

JDD wrote: »
    My 3 year old came down with the same thing last Saturday. Blocked then runny nose, sneezing, a cough from the post-nasal drip. Rang the GP on Monday, he said it was just a cold and no need for a test. He was over it by Tuesday and back in creche on Wednesday. I mentioned it to the creche and the fact that I had rung the doctor, and they were fine with it. They said literally every kid in the place had a snotty/sneezy nose, and the same thing happens every year two weeks before the schools go back, and basically sticks around until April.

I'd say ring the doctor, and let them make the call. I could hear my GP rolling his eyes on the other end of the line (he's very laid back tbf) but I thought, well, I'm getting the moral comfort of calling him, and if he says no test, then I'm fine with that. If I had any suspicion at all that it was Covid I would have insisted on a test, but I was also convinced it was a cold. And as you say, I'm not putting my 3 year old through the brain scraping swab unless there's a good reason for it.

I watched a video from an English man in wuhan. He came down with what appeared like a cold before Christmas, got better in a few days, then a flu type illness hit him hard.

My understanding is that covid can show up or start off as a cold. Tony said that the days of going to work and school with a cold is over. If everyone went on as normal with colds, there's going to be times where them colds are going to turn out to be something more sinister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Or you could get a test like doctors suggest? You don’t need to be difficult about such a simple answer.

I'm not being difficult it's something I've a lot of experience with it and can see it now in one of my kids. A blocked nose with no other symptoms is not a reason to get a covid test. It's shouldn't be even on the radar, it's not a symptom in isolation. They probably are doing a little bit of coughing as well if the mucus tickles their throat.

Goldengirl wrote: »
    How do you know that ?

This..is the problem. If your GP makes the call well it's on him if you have Covid and spread it , and he hasn't recommended testing
    But not reporting symptoms is an issue unless you are isolating ....which maybe you are ?

Where is a blocked nose a symptom of Covid, I've never heard of this before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Ficheall wrote: »
    You want people with the virus to cure other people? ;)

No you do what you can to limit it.

Back in the day in the lab we are trained to treat every sample as potentially hazardous.

Its obvious there are people who are walking hazards and outside our control, I treat everyone outside my bubble as hazardous... keep my distance, wear mask, avoid public transport, wash hands..carry my own pen which I use the point to push lift buttons etc.

I do my part that's all I can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I'm not being difficult it's something I've a lot of experience with it and can see it now in one of my kids. A blocked nose with no other symptoms is not a reason to get a covid test. It's shouldn't be even on the radar, it's not a symptom in isolation. They probably are doing a little bit of coughing as well if the mucus tickles their throat.

I think it’s better for a parent to get their child tested if they have any sort of anxiety about it, but maybe that’s just me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Could the virus be weakening? Or rather the strain circulating in Ireland anyway.

If somebody had made that statement 6 months ago I would have wholeheartedly agreed .
    But now I think it is crazy , given what we know .
    Children have milder symptoms but it doesn't mean you or anyone else will if you get infected or infect others .
    Either 'put the whole house into lockdown ' as you said yourself you didn't want to do, or report it and get tested , which is simpler in the long run .
    At least you would know one way or the other .
    That is the point of the test and trace as you well know .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Tony said that the days of going to work and school with a cold is over.

This I get. I've no problem staying home or keeping my kid at home until they are over the cold, which usually takes 2-3 days, sometimes a bit more. If they get a temperature or a persistent cough then they'll be whisked off for a test.

If you think I'll be keeping them home for 14 days every time they sneeze, even when they are over the cold, to make sure that covid doesn't show up a week later, well that's just not workable.

This is what is meant by living with the virus - we will do everything reasonably practical to keep the virus at bay, while accepting in a small number of cases the precautions taken will not be enough.

I have three children. They spend 80% of the winter sneezing and snuffling. If I were to isolate them for two weeks everytime one of them sneezed I might as well homeschool them for the year. And that goes for every single other child in the country. Some common sense needs to be applied, which is why it should be left to your GP to make the call.

EDIT: And if I was insisting on a covid test every time one of them showed early cold symptoms I'd say our family would be responsible for about 50 tests before next March. Is that reasonable or would my GP reasonably tell me to f*** off and stop clogging up the system.

We're all panicky now because it's the start of cold season. Come December I'm sure people will feel more comfortable making the call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

mandrake04 wrote: »
    No you do what you can to limit it.

Back in the day in the lab we are trained to treat every sample as potentially hazardous.

Its obvious there are people who are walking hazards and outside our control, I treat everyone outside my bubble as hazardous... keep my distance, wear mask, avoid public transport, wash hands..carry my own pen which I use the point to push lift buttons etc.

I do my part that's all I can do.
    I know, aye - I was just teasing about your R_0<0 typo.

This I get. I've no problem staying home or keeping my kid at home until they are over the cold, which usually takes 2-3 days, sometimes a bit more. If they get a temperature or a persistent cough then they'll be whisked off for a test.

If you think I'll be keeping them home for 14 days every time they sneeze, even when they are over the cold, to make sure that covid doesn't show up a week later, well that's just not workable.

This is what is meant by living with the virus - we will do everything reasonably practical to keep the virus at bay, while accepting in a small number of cases the precautions taken will not be enough.

I have three children. They spend 80% of the winter sneezing and snuffling. If I were to isolate them everytime one of them sneezed I might as well homeschool them for the year. And that goes for every single other child in the country. Some common sense needs to be applied, which is why it should be left to your GP to make the call.

This..especially the last sentence ....agree .

I think it’s better for a parent to get their child tested if they have any sort of anxiety about it, but maybe that’s just me.....

It's the parent needs testing for anxiety. Blocked nose is not a reason for a test on any planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

It's the parent needs testing for anxiety. Blocked nose is not a reason for a test on any planet.

If in doubt test

Asymptomatic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭MOR316

I had a blocked nose back in June. Had it for about a week. Happens on and off with me. Didn't go to the Doctor

Shock and horror, it was my sinuses! :eek: Like it always is!! :eek::eek::eek:

Mad to think there are other illnesses and things that can happen your body out there

I’m all for getting on with life but testing is not something you just suddenly forget about

Goldengirl wrote: »
    This..especially the last sentence ....agree .

If a doctor thinks that child should have a covid tests there is 0 hope for schools and creches should be closed immediately.
    Some of us have been dealing with this since creches returned, policy around sneezing, coughing had to change for them to function.
    Temp over 38 will cause a child to be sent home.

OP needs to go into isolation now along with the children, don't leave the house. While waiting on a test and result. They also need to inform their close contacts asap they are waiting on a test.
    I'll eat my boot if that kid has covid with only a blocked nose as a symptom.

Thierry12 wrote: »
    If in doubt test

Asymptomatic?

There symptomatic just not with Covid.

I’m all for getting on with life but testing is not something you just suddenly forget about

I agree, if the situation warrants it.

If you start coughing then yes, absolutely. People know their own bodies.
    As I said, I have issues with my throat and with my nose but, I have them on and off and always have done. Why would I go and get tested for Covid 19 for that?

Friend of mine was sneezing like a mad thing back in mid June. He never went for a test and he's perfectly fine. Never had the virus. People know their own bodies and this is my fear coming into the flu season. The slightest sniffle and **** will hit the fan

MOR316 wrote: »
    I agree, if the situation warrants it.

If you start coughing then yes, absolutely. People know their own bodies.
    As I said, I have issues with my throat and with my nose but, I have them on and off and always have done. Why would I go and get tested for Covid 19 for that?
    Because it benefits society?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

The op said somebody they were in contact with tested positive recently, a cold is definitely grounds for a test in that situation.

So I should go get my nasal drip tested, that I've had for years, for Covid 19?

So I should go get my nasal drip tested, that I've had for years, for Covid 19?

I don’t see any reason why you shouldn’t. This isn’t like the last few years, believe it or not, this is the new normal.

No it feeds hysteria when it's unwarranted. Kid has a blocked nose, first of many.

Not discussing your nasal drip, the topic is a child with a cold who is potentially a close contact of a positive case.

If a doctor thinks that child should have a covid tests there is 0 hope for schools and creches should be closed immediately.
    Some of us have been dealing with this since creches returned, policy around sneezing, coughing had to change for them to function.
    Temp over 38 will cause a child to be sent home.

OP needs to go into isolation now along with the children, don't leave the house. While waiting on a test and result. They also need to inform their close contacts asap they are waiting on a test.
    I'll eat my boot if that kid has covid with only a blocked nose as a symptom.

Hence why my GP did his best to keep the impatience out of his voice when I called last Monday. Clearly, if one of kids gets the same symptoms over the next few months I won't be ringing him again - he has given me his view. Though if they get different symptoms - a headache, a proper cough, a temperature - I will call him.

There's no way we have the capacity in this country to test everyone who gets a cold - we'd have to be doing a couple of million tests a month. As I said, our creche is open and operating and will occasionally get kids with blocked or runny noses, who will be back in after a couple of days.

No it feeds hysteria when it's unwarranted. Kid has a blocked nose, first of many.

Not sure how getting a free, less than 30 second test = hysteria :confused:

s1ippy wrote: »
    The op said somebody they were in contact with tested positive recently, a cold is definitely grounds for a test in that situation.

Now I didn't appreciate that. Having a recent close contact test positive changes the playing field entirely.

I don’t see any reason why you shouldn’t. This isn’t like the last few years, believe it or not, this is the new normal.

Probably because I know the factors that causes it, having got it checked 6 years ago and I've had it for the last 6 years, long before this ever happened?

I said jokingly the other day that people will demand you get a test if you have an itchy arse next...

• Advertisement

Not discussing your nasal drip, the topic is a child with a cold who is potentially a close contact of a positive case.

Ah that's different. Never saw that part.

Yeah, best get tested so

Probably because I know the factors that causes it, having got it checked 6 years ago and I've had it for the last 6 years, long before this ever happened?

I said jokingly the other day that people will demand you get a test if you have an itchy arse next...

The only way we can get back to any semblance of normality is if people avail of tests when they’re sick. Test negative and get on with your life without others having to worry that you’re carrying something. Not really sure why you’re arguing against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭seanb85

Hence why my GP did his best to keep the impatience out of his voice when I called last Monday. Clearly, if one of kids gets the same symptoms over the next few months I won't be ringing him again - he has given me his view. Though if they get different symptoms - a headache, a proper cough, a temperature - I will call him.

There's no way we have the capacity in this country to test everyone who gets a cold - we'd have to be doing a couple of million tests a month. As I said, our creche is open and operating and will occasionally get kids with blocked or runny noses, who will be back in after a couple of days.

We should be aiming to have a system in place that allows for everyone with cold symptoms to get a test for the next two years at least.

Ah that's different. Never saw that part.

Yeah, best get tested so

He just made that up, the child doesn't have a cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

erm is this post not what you were all responding to https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114304493&postcount=1786 no close contact

seanb85 wrote: »
    We should be aiming to have a system in place that allows for everyone with cold symptoms to get a test for the next two years at least.

This is crazy talk, has anyone here children as it sure doesn't seem like it.
    Everyone will be in and out of isolation like yoyo's, society has no hope of functioning.

• Advertisement

The only way we can get back to any semblance of normality is if people avail of tests when they’re sick. Test negative and get on with your life without others having to worry that you’re carrying something. Not really sure why you’re arguing against it.

It's a ****ing drip down the back of my throat I've had for 6 years, due to years of smoking and allergies! I take stuff for it that helps!

Why the **** would I go get tested for a condition I have had for 6 years and that was diagnosed by a Doctor 6 years ago?

How and why would people worry about something they don't know I have or can't even tell I have?

The anti-testing rhetoric on here today is baffling tbh

Not sure how getting a free, less than 30 second test = hysteria :confused:

For an adult maybe. If I had to get my three year old tested, we would need two additional adults to hold his arms down and the other to grip his head still. They'd probably have to fit some kind of dental frame to keep his mouth open.

I have to wrestle him to the floor to wash his face or brush his teeth in normal circumstances.

No way would I put him through a test, even if it were only for 30 seconds (which is actually pretty long when you count it out), unless I was completely sure it was for a very good reason. Not just on a whim.

It's a ****ing drip down the back of my throat I've had for 6 years, due to years of smoking and allergies! I take stuff for it that helps!

Why the **** would I go get tested for a condition I have had for 6 years and that was diagnosed by a Doctor 6 years ago?
    Because we live in a world where you should?

The kid hasn't any symptoms of Covid, it's not anti-testing to tell people stop being hysterical and have some common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I have three children. They spend 80% of the winter sneezing and snuffling. If I were to isolate them for two weeks everytime one of them sneezed I might as well homeschool them for the year. And that goes for every single other child in the country. Some common sense needs to be applied, which is why it should be left to your GP to make the call.

EDIT: And if I was insisting on a covid test every time one of them showed early cold symptoms I'd say our family would be responsible for about 50 tests before next March. Is that reasonable or would my GP reasonably tell me to f*** off and stop clogging up the system.

We're all panicky now because it's the start of cold season. Come December I'm sure people will feel more comfortable making the call.

I completely agree with this. There probably isn't any need to isolate for 14 days. I think isolation or restrictions for a 5 days or 7 days would be more than enough just to see what it is. If it's a cold and it clears up quickly, within a few days, good. If symptoms persist or worsen, continue to isolate.

erm is this post not what you were all responding to https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114304493&postcount=1786 no close contact
    US2 wrote: »
    Cousin got tested this morning, she was a close contact to someone last Monday and got a phonecall from contact tracers on Thursday.

Must be waiting 7 days to test contacts? Makes sense given incubation period I suppose, but I thought they test on day 1 and day 7.
    From this post i got that impression. Now that I reread it, possibly not a close contact.

Still no harm to ring the GP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I think it's great. We won't need to test anymore, we can just get the experts on here to give a remote diagnosis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭seanb85

This is crazy talk, has anyone here children as it sure doesn't seem like it.
    Everyone will be in and out of isolation like yoyo's, society has no hope of functioning.

That's how to avoid isolation, by testing symptomatic people. If they don't get tested then they should really be going into isolation for two weeks.

Even though I know what it is, even though my doctor knows what it is, even though I take medication for it that is prescribed to me by my doctor, I should get tested again for a drip down the back of my throat, that I've had for 6 years, brought on by years of smoking, because it could be Covid 19 related, 6 years before the virus even existed?

Right, OK

Hi lads. I feel it in my fingers, I feel it in my toes. Should I get tested?

In fairness, it should be new symptoms right? 500,000 people in Ireland suffer from hay fever. I didn't see 500,000 people looking for tests in May/June/July because of their allergies, which they know full well are allergies.

I think it's great. We won't need to test anymore, we can just get the experts on here to give a remote diagnosis.

:D
    In all seriousness we should be trying to test as many people as possible imo. I don’t think there’s such a thing as a wasted test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Hi lads. I feel it in my fingers, I feel it in my toes. Should I get tested?

Depends. Is it all around you?

:D
    In all seriousness we should be trying to test as many people as possible imo. I don’t think there’s such a thing as a wasted test.

That's fine but, when you have a known and on going condition, that you know has nothing to do with Covid 19, why would I test for that?

For the record, I did get tested. I had to as I was returning to work in my Office. But, why would I go and get tested for something I know and my Doctor knows is not related to any virus, at all?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement