Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Mention of a retirement village on the news?

They are testing becasue residents are showing respiratory symptoms - no covid case confirmed yet - and judging by them having no cases elsewhere in the country its unlikely to be covid. Given a small fraction of people don't develop symptoms for more than 14 days, an escape is inevitable eventually however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

They are testing becasue residents are showing respiratory symptoms - no covid case confirmed yet - and judging by them having no cases elsewhere in the country its unlikely to be covid. Given a small fraction of people don't develop symptoms for more than 14 days, an escape is inevitable eventually however.

Looks like it has gotten out unfortunately. They'll contain that in no time though with their approach, it's top notch.

Stheno wrote: »
    Guardian reporting four cases in a NZ family who had not travelled, they don't know where it came from

It was inevitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

The hospital admissions and deaths right now wouldn't raise any eyebrows, so it's easy to see how the current state as it is could go on for a few weeks before someone raises an alarm. This also backs up the claim that far more of us were infected than the reported numbers suggest.

If we can keep hospitalisations down in a scenario with hundreds of daily cases it will become very hard to keep everyone onboard for sure. The unemployed and people suffering from other illnesses (needing treatments that are unavailable) will become very angry to have no job or no treatment when there are less than, for example, 100 people in hospital with Covid.

It is all ifs but moods will change in that scenario and once again it will be poor people and people with ill health that will suffer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I know someone who has a cold who's refusing to self isolate or at least restrict the movements out and adamant that it's just a cold and doesn't need a test.

I thought the virus can show up as a cold for some people or the virus can start off as a cold.

Isn't this a way that the virus is going to spread about for the next few more months? People self diagnosing without a test.

Tony said the days of going into work and school with a cold is over.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

A supervisor is opening the office for me tomorrow even though their young son is being tested and they will be awaiting results tomorrow presumably. Am I within my rights to ask them if they received a positive test before agreeing to go and meet with them? They are absolutely dense and would not necessarily know that they should self-isolate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

US2 wrote: »
    Cousin got tested this morning, she was a close contact to someone last Monday and got a phonecall from contact tracers on Thursday.

Must be waiting 7 days to test contacts? Makes sense given incubation period I suppose, but I thought they test on day 1 and day 7.

If that's the case. Are people supposed to wait at home for a week with no pay.
    Again I'd say most don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

My daughters live in Western Australia. The cases they have appear to come from those that are in the enforced quarantine hotels. So it’s catching them before they get a chance to spread in the community.

Western Australia still closed down to all the other states but some billionaire and the Australian government have taken them to court over it. Say it’s unconstitutional. Decision due in September or October.

Just like some billionaire here.
    And Gemma O'Doherty of course.

One has a conflict of interest the other is just mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Just found this. Rapid risk assessment from ECDC.
    Very interesting. Full of info.
    Lot's of clusters in Catalonia related to outdoor late night drinking activities etc.
    Didn't think that was possible.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/covid-19-rapid-risk-assessment-20200810.pdf

Testing differences. I honestly don't trust Spain's figures who are dependent on tourist yo-yos. Positivity rate at 5%.
    We are doing twice as much testing per capita but their positivity rate is 3 times higher.

If you saw how they act here, you'd see .... masked up on the streets even when totally alone, the SS thug pig police wandering around looking to give out fines .... get to the beer terrace - off with the masks ...

Get the beers in, and spit all over your mates, cos Covid doesn't like terraces apparently - the Pigs walking by ignoring it, giving some asthmatic old lady a ticket for her mask being a cm below her nose as she carries her shopping back - alone, not near anyone.

PERO BUENNOOOO!!!!

slowly we inch......

slowly we inch......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

s1ippy wrote: »
    A supervisor is opening the office for me tomorrow even though their young son is being tested and they will be awaiting results tomorrow presumably. Am I within my rights to ask them if they received a positive test before agreeing to go and meet with them? They are absolutely dense and would not necessarily know that they should self-isolate.

I think you know the answer to that question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Looks like it has gotten out unfortunately. They'll contain that in no time though with their approach, it's top notch.

It's really no different from anywhere else. Cases down - open up. Cases up - restrictions.

Where are you talking about here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Breaking news: Russia has successfully developed the vaccine. Its over folks.
    Russia has approved its own vaccine for use. That doesn't mean it works.

This is a big gamble, driven largely by Putin attempting to hold onto his strongman persona and improve his support. If it works, great for the world. But once again Russians have been put in the firing line to save the rest of us.
    US2 wrote: »
    Cousin got tested this morning, she was a close contact to someone last Monday and got a phonecall from contact tracers on Thursday.

Must be waiting 7 days to test contacts? Makes sense given incubation period I suppose, but I thought they test on day 1 and day 7.
    Median turnaround for contact tracing is apparent less than a day. But that's not from the contact. It's from the positive result.
    So person gets notified that they're a close contact = 1 day (Thursday)
    Person gets test scheduled = 1 day
    Person attends test = 1 day
    Person gets test result = 1 day
    Throw in weekends and random delays, and this is pretty typical.

Remember that they only test close contacts when there's a positive result. So your cousin's contact was on Monday but that person probably didn't test positive until Thursday, at which point your cousin was contacted.

Unless you're saying that the contact's positive result was last Monday?
    All cases of covid in NZ in the past 100 days have been in managed quarantine
    And now there are four cases of unknown origin. Which is obviously worrying for them. One person in a family brought it in, and they don't know where it came from. Which means there's at least one active case at large in Auckland.

The decision to lock down will probably suppress it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

If you saw how they act here, you'd see .... masked up on the streets even when totally alone, the SS thug pig police wandering around looking to give out fines .... get to the beer terrace - off with the masks ...

Get the beers in, and spit all over your mates, cos Covid doesn't like terraces apparently - the Pigs walking by ignoring it, giving some asthmatic old lady a ticket for her mask being a cm below her nose as she carries her shopping back - alone, not near anyone.

PERO BUENNOOOO!!!!

slowly we inch......

slowly we inch......

Its clown world, an excuse to take control. Even when there is no more cases the fear will keep them apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

s1ippy wrote: »

There are two people in my workplace who came back from two different parts of Portugal last weekend and are back in work. Nobody gives a fcuk.

I work from home and go into the office once every two weeks to touch base and sign paperwork which im refusing to do at present and they are using a courier to deliver the paperwork at their expense.

Once im still getting full pay i couldn't care less, they are all risking their own health.

Onesea wrote: »
    Its clown world, an excuse to take control. Even when there is no more cases the fear will keep them apart.

I am 100% CERTAIN that even when this is gone, vaccinated away - whatever, we will still be muzzled on the streets.

They will use the excuse of - "in case it comes back" or new viruses ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I am 100% CERTAIN that even when this is gone, vaccinated away - whatever, we will still be muzzled on the streets.

Won't need those excuses, just the common flu kills so many people

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Stheno wrote: »
    Guardian reporting four cases in a NZ family who had not travelled, they don't know where it came from

Doesn't passengers arriving into NZ go into mandatory quarantine for 2 weeks? Would make you think if the incubation period is longer than 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Evidence if you are certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Doesn't passengers arriving into NZ go into mandatory quarantine for 2 weeks? Would make you think if the incubation period is longer than 2 weeks.

They claimed to have eradicated it, but there were likely asymptomatic people walking around with it and spreading it to other people who were either asymptomatic or had only mild symptoms. Very interesting.

• Advertisement

Evidence if you are certain.

I just know, bureaucracy is months/years behind reality, check back in a year or two and let's see ....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

we will still be muzzled on the streets.
    Are you suggesting they have managed to shut you up?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: cut out the "muzzle" crap please. It's idiotic. Thread ban if you use that word again.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

I feel threatened :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

And what do you think the point of that would be? What nefarious overlord has such a strong eye fetish they desperately need to cover the bottom of our faces, so they can jizz themselves to full satisfaction at only seeing out eyes?

When you worry about the point of something, just think it through.
    Why do they want us to wear masks? To prevent spreading a novel virus that cripples healthcare provision in areas where it runs out of control.

Why else could the want us to wear them?
    Profit???? Don't think so.
    Religious fundamentalism???? Doesn't seem likely.
    Unspecified evil and because it happened in some YA dystopia???? Obviously fūcking not.

If there is no reason for "them" to make us wear masks, "they" won't because this isn't some shįtty YA novel. Random mindless control of the population for absolutely no reason is not how a free(ish)-market society works.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

polesheep wrote: »
    They claimed to have eradicated it, but there were likely asymptomatic people walking around with it and spreading it to other people who were either asymptomatic or had only mild symptoms. Very interesting.

If there was asymptomatic people walking around, they would know about it now. Surely it would involve other people needing hospital treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

chinese citizens still used them after SARS, or is that as much to do with the air quality as the epidemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

polesheep wrote: »

More seasonal proof? I read this the other day and shrugged it off

https://twitter.com/alexkx3/status/1291808118192709632?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There is no requirement to wear masks while outside on the street.

You're probably right, there will be a significant set of information campaigns encouraging people to wear masks when they have a cold or flu and are out in public places, as well as standing advice to stay home if at all possible.

These are things we should have been doing for the last century with our improved understanding of epidemiology.

But instead we can't be arsed with all that and we go out and about spreading viruses and conditioning ourselves to accept that there is a "flu season" even though it's entirely and easily preventable.

Will it remain mandatory to wear masks indoors? No. You can only enforce the laws that people accept. Will be acceptable to tut at people out and about in public with snuffly noses and coughs? Yep. And rightly so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Struggling to figure out how the virus got back in to NZ :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement