Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I've asked this time and time again. How on earth do you have border restrictions with NI ?

Before when they had lower counts it it was simple to just allow free travel between the two. Now I'd introduce a quarantine for anyone entering the Republic, break it and caught there will be a 5k fine. Not perfect but enough of a deterrent for the majority of people. Leeway given to people with addresses right on the border

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Before when they had lower counts it it was simple to just allow free travel between the two. Now I'd introduce a quarantine for anyone entering the Republic, break it and caught there will be a 5k fine. Not perfect but enough of a deterrent for the majority of people. Leeway given to people with addresses right on the border
    That is absolutely not possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Yesterday was the first day in a week it was below 1%, the average is 1.4% as shown by the COVID dashboard, it hasn't risen above the average.

Maybe yesterday was an outlier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Yesterday was the first day in a week it was below 1%, the average is 1.4% as shown by the COVID dashboard, it hasn't risen above the average.

I dunno, ya got bitched at yesterday when people started going by the 7 day average of cases.
    You mention the 7 day positivity and they start comparing day to day. Ya can't win.

On the mass testing, they must be doubling down on nursing homes in areas with significant clusters along with the meat factories. It's a massive amount of swabs been taking.

Benimar wrote: »
    Maybe yesterday was an outlier :)
    In terms of the data, yes it was. Any other comments to make about it?

• Advertisement

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I dunno, ya got bitched at yesterday when people started going by the 7 day average of cases.
    You mention the 7 day positivity and they start comparing day to day. Ya can't win.

On the mass testing, they must be doubling down on nursing homes in areas with significant clusters along with the meat factories. It's a massive amount of swabs been taking.
    Some people are allowed to comment on some things and others aren't - I'm clearly not allowed to make statistical observations that aren't to others likening. I just won't bother anymore tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

And who is going to man such a border ? Its a complete non runner in my opinion in so many different areas.

Theres over 300 border crossings as per defence forces report on brexit in the event of brexit requiring border checks, it was advised border checks would be impossible.

There's too much movement between the two areas to have any sort of restriction. Its an invisible border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Nonsense. Unless you have a time machine to transport us all back to 1985.

That is absolutely not possible.

Any reasons why exactly....

Because people on the border work across the border :confused: Quarantine every time they cross?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Today or tomorrow is sure to have close to over 100 daily cases. Good to see testing is ramped up.

Today or tomorrow is sure to have close to over 100 daily cases. Good to see testing is ramped up.
    Probably today with the positive swabs unless some of them are backlogged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

spookwoman wrote: »
    today i learned there were mushroom factories :confused:

Some people are allowed to comment on some things and others aren't - I'm clearly not allowed to make statistical observations that aren't to others likening. I just won't bother anymore tbh.

Ah just ignore them. I've noticed over the past week, the quality of some people's posts has deteriorated. I don't bother posting in other threads (masks/restrictions etc...) as the quality of discussion does be ****!
    This thread use to be like that, but only between the hours of 2-6am, now it's like that 24/7

And who is going to man such a border ? Its a complete non runner in my opinion in so many different areas.

Theres over 300 border crossings as per defence forces report on brexit in the event of brexit requiring border checks, it was advised border checks would be impossible.

There's too much movement between the two areas to have any sort of restriction. Its an invisible border.

There doesn't need to be people actually manning all the roads, just the locals can report that they see a northern in their town, Gardai check it out and if the guy doesn't live in the republic and didn't do the quarantine then 5k fine.

There doesn't need to be people actually manning all the roads, just the locals can report that they see a northern in their town, Gardai check it out and if the guy doesn't live in the republic and didn't do the quarantine then 5k fine.
    This has to be a joke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Check out some of the Brexit reports, there's no realistic way to limit border crossings.

They see a northern in their town.

Do they walk around with a sign on their head saying I'm from the North?

You want the Gardaí chasing around after anyone who rings saying there's someone with a different sounding accent in the town.

Jesus we're getting into dangerous territory here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

ah stop the sulking act lad, you were posting clearly wrong and misleading stuff yesterday and were called out on it. no one is stopping you posting whatever you want but it's a discussion forum and people will challenge you if they think what you post is false.

• Advertisement

They see a northern in their town.

Do they walk around with a sign on their head saying I'm from the North?

You want the Gardaí chasing around after anyone who rings saying there's someone with a different sounding accent in the town.

Jesus we're getting into dangerous territory here.

No but the local might have some idea who's from their town and who isn't. You might have missed it but there's a little pandemic happening, 1000s of people have died from it Ireland and nearly a million worldwide. Obviously some leeway can be giving for some workers etc but letting Mary work in a vegetable shop in another country wouldn't be on the top list of concerns at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I drove through Maynooth today at 4pm. There was a news bulletin on the radio at the same time - a representative for the Kildare/Offaly/Laois hospitality sector was on asking for government support for the lockdown. Also heard a separate report the “r” rate in Kildare is higher than anywhere else in the country.

However, every single bar, cafe and restaurant in Maynooth was open and full, providing a full sit down service. They’ll be whinging again in a fortnight when the lockdown is extended. Won’t be the meat factories fault then! Unbelievable.

No but the local might have some idea who's from their town and who isn't. You might have missed it but there's a little pandemic happening, 1000s of people have died from it Ireland and nearly a million worldwide. Obviously some leeway can be giving for some workers etc but letting Mary work in a vegetable shop in another country wouldn't be on the top list of concerns at the moment
    What about people from Donegal?

What about people from Donegal?

What about them? They're in the republic they can freely in the republic

What about them? They're in the republic they can freely in the republic
    They sound like northern people though?

froog wrote: »
    ah stop the sulking act lad, you were posting clearly wrong and misleading stuff yesterday and were called out on it. no one is stopping you posting whatever you want but it's a discussion forum and people will challenge you if they think what you post is false.
    Today I learned that pointing out a statistical anomaly known as an outlier = misleading :rolleyes:

They sound like northern people though?

Well if this is what you're trying to argue then I'm afraid I don't have time for you anymore...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You absolutely are, because I know what you are saying, but whatever.

What I am saying is.

For the previous 6 days we averaged 5000 swabs a day.

The positive rate was 1.4.

Yesterday we did 11,000+ plus tests more than double the average.

Yes we had 1.22% positive rate (lower), but in real terms a higher amount of positive swabs.

It's not positive news.

I don't think it's extremely negative news either by the way.

Today I learned that pointing out a statistical anomaly known as an outlier = misleading :rolleyes:

at the risk of getting into all that again it was mainly your claim that cases were trending downwards based on three days figures was what people were challenging.

• Advertisement

I’m finished arguing lads, we’ve bigger things to worry about than our own opinions tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Jesus, I didn't know people from the North had a face tattoo. Is that new thing? Nordies *shakes head*.

I can just see the conversation now:

Ring ring

Garda station: Yes?

Mary: Uh hi. This is Mary from Murphy's newsagents. There was a fella in here just now, and he sounded very Northern.

Garda: Good jaysus *shouts over to JP* "JP!! Drop that trip you were just about to take to the domestic violence report! We've got a Nordie in town!". Can you describe him Mary?

Mary: Well he was average height and brown hair. I didn't get much of a look at him because I was scared he'd give me the Covid so I wanted him out of the shop as quickly as possible. I mean, he could have been from Monaghan, but as my husband said, we don't want people from Monaghan around here either, so I thought it was best to call. My mother tells me that he might actually live here, but I can't believe that.

Garda: No Mary, you were absolutely right to call. Sure we were sitting on our arses here anyway, weren't we JP? I mean, there's an investigation into gang activity, kidnappings and beatings along the border, but that's not as important, is it JP? Cigare, were going on a wild goose chase for a Nordie, we'll see you tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

In terms of the data, yes it was. Any other comments to make about it?

Yes, it’s up on yesterday. It’s down on the weekly average, but given it’s based on more testing, we have more absolute cases.

Not the end of the world, but hardly hugely positive either.

JDD wrote: »
    Jesus, I didn't know people from the North had a face tattoo. Is that new thing? Nordies *shakes head*.

I can just see the conversation now:

Ring ring

Garda station: Yes?

Mary: Uh hi. This is Mary from Murphy's newsagents. There was a fella in here just now, and he sounded very Northern.

Garda: Good jaysus *shouts over to JP* "JP!! Drop that trip you were just about to take to the domestic violence report! We've got a Nordie in town!". Can you describe him Mary?

Mary: Well he was average height and brown hair. I didn't get much of a look at him because I was scared he'd give me the Covid so I wanted him out of the shop as quickly as possible. I mean, he could have been from Monaghan, but as my husband said, we don't want people from Monaghan around here either, so I thought it was best to call. My mother tells me that he might actually live here, but I can't believe that.

Garda: No Mary, you were absolutely right to call. Sure we were sitting on our arses here anyway, weren't we JP? I mean, there's an investigation into gang activity, kidnappings and beatings along the border, but that's not as important, is it JP? Cigare, were going on a wild goose chase for a Nordie, we'll see you tomorrow.

Ha pretty funny but it doesn't need to be the highest order of priority, mostly just used a deterrent. And we've plenty of Gardai just sitting at road stops in empty roads in Kildare, Laois and Offaly.

I live in a town of 35,000 people, I couldn't tell you bar the people I know who's a local and who isn't. By your logic I should be ringing the Gardaí if I hear a strange accent just incase they aren't a local.

I'd rather my local station be prioritising more serious crime then running around the town looking for non locals

Is this really what we're resorting to ?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Just salute him (the local), full hand. Don't just give the index finger off the steering wheel salute or he will know you don't know him. Don't ask for directions either (no brainer).

Id recommend driving at night when the locals will be sleeping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

Can someone answer a question for me.

So we get 138 positive swabs today. Allowing for retests why are number of cases held back and not announced the same day? If they know the positive swabs why don't they announce that daily? Why hold them back?

I'm not saying it happens all the time, but it does happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Any news on figures today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

I’m finished arguing lads, we’ve bigger things to worry about than our own opinions tbh

To be fair every time someone previously posted something that didn't allign with your view that everything is grand you would reply to the contrary.

I live in a town of 35,000 people, I couldn't tell you bar the people I know who's a local and who isn't. By your logic I should be ringing the Gardaí if I hear a strange accent just incase they aren't a local.

You could do your own investigation before calling the gardai, for instance if you feel confident enough you could in gage him and ask him some questions to get a feeler for him, or easily just follow him from a distance and see where he goes etc.

Benimar wrote: »
    Yes, it’s up on yesterday. It’s down on the weekly average, but given it’s based on more testing, we have more absolute cases.

Not the end of the world, but hardly hugely positive either.

Increase positivity rate can mean the virus is spreading.
    Lower positivity rate can mean it's being supressed.
    Targeted testing can screw that up, mass test nursing homes and find no cases and then start testing a cluster in a meat factory and it screws it all up.
    Without knowing alot more details, it's too hard to know.
    Those stats are for the real experts to analyze.

The sheer numbers coming from the clusters and the number of clusters popping up in many counties is a cause of concern.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

No, Some people are brainwashed by the news and live in fear.

You could do your own investigation before calling the gardai, for instance if you feel confident enough you could in gage him and ask him some questions to get a feeler for him, or easily just follow him from a distance and see where he goes etc.

I dont even know how to reply to that.

Bloody hell

techdiver wrote: »
    Can someone answer a question for me.

So we get 138 positive swabs today. Allowing for retests why are number of cases held back and not announced the same day? If they know the positive swabs why don't they announce that daily? Why hold them back?

I'm not saying it happens all the time, but it does happen.
    I think they need time to link them to clusters. Normally they would announce x number of cases and it would fall in line with the number of positive tests the previous 24hrs. We would then get a detailed breakdown 48hrs later on those cases. We seem to get more details with the case numbers now, so I think they're linking cases as best they can within a tight deadline and release those figures and case history the same day.

That has to be a wind up :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Limpy wrote: »
    [/B]

No, Some people are brainwashed by the news and live in fear.

Theres plenty thinking this is normal. They’re about one Facebook post away from being out with the pitch forks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0814/1159095-covid-figures/?fbclid=IwAR3Ppu_3n15SMDe0iO3OyzuQ3iH5Yk9MpbyNYbqyL3MWMZhCR7QZRkmVU7E
    Over half, or 54%, of all confirmed coronavirus cases are linked to an outbreak, according to the Central Statistics Office.

An outbreak is defined as two or more Covid-19 cases in the same location and time, and there have been 14,359 positive cases linked to an outbreak.

The CSO says that the average age of confirmed coronavirus cases related to an outbreak is 50.

There has been a rise in the number of cases linked to outbreaks in private homes for the fifth week in a row, according to the CSO.

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I think they need time to link them to clusters. Normally they would announce x number of cases and it would fall in line with the number of positive tests the previous 24hrs. We would then get a detailed breakdown 48hrs later on those cases. We seem to get more details with the case numbers now, so I think they're linking cases as best they can within a tight deadline and release those figures and case history the same day.

It does seem like cases are announced after they are "completed"... Which I assume involves contact tracing etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That has to be a wind up :D

A 96fm wind up ?

loose%2Blips%2Bsink%2Bships.png

mloc123 wrote: »
    It does seem like cases are announced after they are "completed"... Which I assume involves contact tracing etc...

Well I'm sure if they announced 100+ cases and when asked if they know if they are linked to a cluster, they couldn't actually answer it. News headlines would lead with 100+ cases of community transmission lol.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement