Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭Ms2011

kenmc wrote: »
    A communion no less. Sounds like a fantastic idea.

FFS.

We don't even have more than 200 including players at an outdoor sporting event yet bloody communions are going ahead?

Unbelievable.

Whats unbelievable about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

petes wrote: »
    Why are you asking a question you know the answer to before asking? Trolling?

It's a rhetorical question. Some people on here are convinced the virus is of little consequence and the absence of deaths at the moment is proof of this rather than being a result of the low number of cases in the past month or two. The same people will point to rising case numbers abroad without increases in the death rate as of yet. That "as of yet" is important because there are reports that Spain, which is well into its second wave, is now seeing more people presenting at hospitals with breathing difficulties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

FFS.

We don't even have more than 200 including players at an outdoor sporting event yet bloody communions are going ahead?

Unbelievable.

Oh the indignation! Church services are bound by the same rules on indoor attendance as others. Max of 50 inside the church.

Your priority is sport over religious ceremonies and so be it, but how about some tolerance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Haven't been following thread today, but I see there are now 8 in ICU on the dashboard

Looking at the HSE daily report this morning got me thinking... Has anyone in government or NEPHT re-iterated our goal recently?

All the "in it together" stuff at the start and we need to flatten the curve, etc. All done. We had a peak and hospitals didn't get overwhelmed thankfully. I understand we could see another peak, etc, and I'm not an open it up and see what happens advocate – but now they've locked down LOK, when hospitals are almost empty and not nearly at risk of being overwhelmed, or even need to think about using surge capacity, makes you wonder about the strategy here.

So what's the idea? It's like we've fallen in between elimination and flatten the curve and no one is really managing the bigger picture. Is it just hope the vaccine arrives at some stage and no one asks questions in the meantime?

Now we are lost at sea stuck somewhere between an imaginary Zero Covid strategy and this never ending state of panic. Both of which are nuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

spookwoman wrote: »
    Surely god will protect them

Be a bit of a bummer if it was otherwise occupied that day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

FFS.

Unbelievable.

Church fûckwits obviously thinking (still) that they don’t have an obligation to society.... you saw with child sex abuse and with covid now there has been little to no leadership or will to weigh in and help, just the usual ‘we special and rules don’t apply to us’...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Oranage2 wrote: »
    The country is basically opened up except for alcohol only pubs and discos.

Not by a long shot. Offices, as 1 example, are essentially empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

road_high wrote: »
    Now we are lost at sea stuck somewhere between an imaginary Zero Covid strategy and this never ending state of panic. Both of which are nuts

We won’t be stuck much longer unless the cases start and stay trending downwards. The panic is mainly around whether our health services could cope with large outbreaks. None of us know how covid19 could affect us, and I sure as hell don’t want to be finding out. We need balance, but the cases are going up and we have only a few weeks to reverse that or face a winter of this and more.

screamer wrote: »
    We won’t be stuck much longer unless the cases start and stay trending downwards. The panic is mainly around whether our health services could cope with large outbreaks. None of us know how covid19 could affect us, and I sure as hell don’t want to be finding out. We need balance, but the cases are going up and we have only a few weeks to reverse that or face a winter of this and more.

We know plenty about it. Chances are if you look after your health etc you may not even get the sniffles.
    I don’t want to get it either but I’ve long since given up worrying about.
    Posts like yours scream blind panic to me. Now it’s turned into “winter is coming and we we all going to die” type hysteria. Seriously, calm down And have some perspective. There’s a handful of people in hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Strumms wrote: »
    Church fûckwits obviously thinking (still) that they don’t have an obligation to society.... you saw with child sex abuse and with covid now there has been little to no leadership or will to weigh in and help, just the usual ‘we special and rules don’t apply to us’...

I believe churches are required to provide a €9 meal with communion in order to keep the virus at bay.

• Advertisement

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Whats unbelievable about it?

Everything, literally everything, starting with "In the beginning god created the heaven and the earth." If you believe that, then you have to believe it also invented the coronavirus, and surely have to stand back for a minute and think "is this something to really worship"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭Polar101

Coybig_ wrote: »
    How about telling the vulnerable to stay at home, encourage people to take extra precaution with them, but open up everything with proper social distancing etc.

That's just the usual "cocoon everyone not in my age group, and lock down any county except the one I'm living in" stuff, which is never going to happen.

Everything, literally everything, starting with "In the beginning god created the heaven and the earth."

Any chance of sticking to Covid?

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

Don't think we have a choice, it's here for the long haul whether we like it or not :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

How about minding your business and if uncomfortable out the door and go somewhere else...other peoples medical issues are no one's business but their own.

Techy! Was only asking a question here. The barber volunteered the information. In a way it is my business as I was having my hair cut by the same guy who told me he'd prefer if I kept mine on.

Don't think we have a choice, it's here for the long haul whether we like it or not :(

You're so insightful and informative. Just not very amusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

screamer wrote: »
    Unless we see the cases reducing, we won’t see the schools opening or if we do, they will be closed again pretty soon.
    Carlow I think is teetering on lockdown alright, the cases per 100k are high, most I’ve heard of are linked to the factories in lockdown already, and the hospital in Kilkenny is struggling to cope between covid19 and a superbug outbreak.

Primary schools should remain closed for sure. Some parents will be making up their own rules and send their young children into school with colds and they will use calpol and nurofen to reduce temperatures and get by temperature checks.

I would nearly chance opening secondary schools at this stage and move teenagers from whoring around beaches and towns and shopping centres and into the classrooms.

Polar101 wrote: »
    That's just the usual "cocoon everyone not in my age group, and lock down any county except the one I'm living in" stuff, which is never going to happen.

Nothing wrong with either if you’re not in a vulnerable age range or effected county.
    Is this some kind of penal Irish servitude where every must suffer regardless of how pointless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Haven't been following thread today, but I see there are now 8 in ICU on the dashboard

Looking at the HSE daily report this morning got me thinking... Has anyone in government or NEPHT re-iterated our goal recently?

All the "in it together" stuff at the start and we need to flatten the curve, etc. All done. We had a peak and hospitals didn't get overwhelmed thankfully. I understand we could see another peak, etc, and I'm not an open it up and see what happens advocate – but now they've locked down LOK, when hospitals are almost empty and not nearly at risk of being overwhelmed, or even need to think about using surge capacity, makes you wonder about the strategy here.

So what's the idea? It's like we've fallen in between elimination and flatten the curve and no one is really managing the bigger picture. Is it just hope the vaccine arrives at some stage and no one asks questions in the meantime?

I imagine the strategy for the time being is to see what happens in less than 2 weeks time when we stick more than a fifth of the population indoors in close proximity and all the associated contact that goes with.

Then we will probably wait 6-12 weeks to see what is the impact of that is if we even get that far.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Why are you asking a question you know the answer to before asking? Trolling?
    Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Yes stick to the topic, but also leave the modding to the mods

Thanking you both in anticipation.....

• Advertisement

Seamai wrote: »
    Techy! Was only asking a question. In a way it is my business as I was having my hair cut by the same guy who told me he'd prefer if I kept mine on.

Fair enough but should we know the medical history of everyone we are near or interact with daily?
    So long as it was sanitized after etc I don’t see the problem tbh
    Masks are being completely over played, many European countries aren’t even bothering with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭Polar101

Nothing wrong with either if you’re not in a vulnerable age range or effected county.
    Is this some kind of penal Irish servitude where every must suffer regardless of how pointless?

I just don't think the current policy is going to be changing much in the near future, they'll be going on with localised lockdowns and current limited restrictions, unless things get significantly worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Watching the news there. Community transmissions is rising it said. It was 12 yesterday. 16 community transmissions today.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

We know plenty about it. Chances are if you look after your health etc you may not even get the sniffles.
    Posts like yours scream blind panic to me. Now it’s turned into “winter is coming and we we all going to die” type hysteria. Seriously, calm down And have some perspective. There’s a handful of people in hospital.

There's a handful (13) of people in hospital with CONFIRMED Covid 19, 6 in intensive care, 4 on ventilators.

There is a very much larger number (138) of people in hospital with SUSPECTED Covid 19, 6 in intensive care, and 2 of them on ventilators.

Double the number in intensive care, 10 times as many in hospital. There's not that many beds spare if things continue to ramp up in the way they were when LOK were put back into Lockdown, and there are other parts of the country with similarly worrying numbers, for various reasons.

Recent days have seen significant changes in the countries deemed safe for travel, with a spike in cases across Europe, New Zealand seeing a spike after the first 4 in Aukland, and there are still more than enough cases in the "basket" case countries that are not managing the virus, lead by the US.

I see nothing in these figures to indicate that this virus has run its course.

The percentage of deaths has reduced, but that's more a function of the fact that a large number of very vulnerable people died in the first wave, and we're not into the full implications and effects of a second wave yet, it's trying to go that way, due to encouragement by people who think they are not at risk, so doing their best to find ways to get round the rules, rather than respecting them.

As things are right now, there is more chance of additional lock downs than of a relaxation, particularly given the need to get the schools back into action soon.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Fair enough but should we know the medical history of everyone we are near or interact with daily?
    So long as it was sanitized after etc I don’t see the problem tbh
    Masks are being completely over played, many European countries aren’t even bothering with them

All I was asking was does anyone know what these conditions are. I'm curious as no one seems to know. For some it could just be a lazy excuse. The way I see many wearing them they are probably of little use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

smurfjed wrote: »
    What exactly did ACE post that was false, AFAICE he posted that the Irish figures if we removed certain counties weren’t bad, so where is the hassle? If you want his opinion on the 100% Irish figures, ask him.

As for me, I appreciate the effort that he puts in every day to educate all of us and I hope that he continues.

Also, considering that he is a young guy who has finished his degree, EMPLOY HIM.

Get down of your white steed will ya.

The guy is literally just copying and pasting stuff from another site.

He seems to have been elevated to demi God status on here by his 'merry band' of followers.

Mad carry on altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

So we protect the elderly, the vulnerable, immunocompromised, where is the cut off? Over 50s too?

How is that going to work. Who is goin to do the work of the people in some of these these categories that are employed which would be a lot I'd imagine.

It's all well and good saying we need to open up and get on with it on a message board but when you haven't a notion how to do it or what's involved logistically I don't see the point posting it.

Why do some people keep saying over 50?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

There's a handful (13) of people in hospital with CONFIRMED Covid 19, 6 in intensive care, 4 on ventilators.

There is a very much larger number (138) of people in hospital with SUSPECTED Covid 19, 6 in intensive care, and 2 of them on ventilators.

Double the number in intensive care, 10 times as many in hospital. There's not that many beds spare if things continue to ramp up in the way they were when LOK were put back into Lockdown, and there are other parts of the country with similarly worrying numbers, for various reasons.

Recent days have seen significant changes in the countries deemed safe for travel, with a spike in cases across Europe, New Zealand seeing a spike after the first 4 in Aukland, and there are still more than enough cases in the "basket" case countries that are not managing the virus, lead by the US.

The percentage of deaths has reduced, but that's more a function of the fact that a large number of very vulnerable people died in the first wave, and we're not into the full implications and effects of a second wave yet, it's trying to go that way, due to encouragement by people who think they are not at risk, so doing their best to find ways to get round the rules, rather than respecting them.

As things are right now, there is more chance of additional lock downs than of a relaxation, particularly given the need to get the schools back into action soon.

They should have those results by tomorrow at least...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

He seems to have been elevated to demi God status on here by his 'merry band' of followers.

Mad carry on altogether.
    Christ :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭harr

Gone from not knowing anyone with COVID to suddenly knowing 6 .. seems to be new clusters appearing In kildare , Athy is one in particular ( factory) from what I am hearing locally Kildare’s numbers won’t be coming down any time soon and I expect the lockdown to extended. Official Numbers in kildare will probably reflect this Monday or Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Mad carry on altogether.

I can’t understand why people are saying he’s just copying and pasting stuff. He’s not a medical or investigative journalist. What do you expect him to post? What else can he post besides stats, facts and figures? I’m very grateful for all he contributes, as it means I don’t have to be looking at various sites to get the same news I get here. He’s also very obliging if anyone asks him for a breakdown of something, the previous week’s figures, etc

This witch-hunt is tiresome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I can’t understand why people are saying he’s just copying and pasting stuff. He’s not an medical or investigative journalist. What you expect him to post? What else can he post besides stats, facts and figures? I’m very grateful for all he contributes, as it means I don’t have to be looking at various sites to get the same news I get here. He’s also very obliging if anyone asks him for a breakdown of something, etc

This witch-hunt is tiresome

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

Oh no I’m not panicking, I’m preparing just like I did back in January. I wasn’t wrong then and I’ll trust my own judgement just like you trust yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Strumms wrote: »
    I knew we would not have to wait long for you to stick your oar in, with your usual vulgar language once the church was mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Mad carry on altogether.

Can people please stop the haranguing of ACE. He is an extremely generous poster. His good humour in the face of all this is to his credit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Christ :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

You still annoying people I see. ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Feck off, my son's Communion is next Sunday in Carlow, you can lockdown where you like then!!
    how many will be there?

acitizenerased should cite and link to his sources

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

acitizenerased should cite and link to his sources

I think he has stated where he gets his figures from on many occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭Ms2011

how many will be there?

4 kids, parents and siblings. Its only a small rural school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Your post is well structured and diplomatic but it loses any credibility when you mention 'suspected cases'

Every single person in hospital is tested for COVID, until their result comes back clear they are a 'suspected case'

If you have followed these threads and numbers in recent months you will see the number of confirmed hospital cases has remained steady, the number of 'suspected' has decreased.....the use of the world suspected it questionable at best..

This is a dangerous disease, but let us not lose sight of reality....there are much bigger concerns for our society than COVID19..... cancer, mental health... the crazy figure on waiting lists...

We need a shake up and fast....we cannot keep living in this COVID19 daze for much longer or we will lose sight of much bigger problems and their solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Lockdown from monday on for the whole country, got a text from my aunt who's a very senior civil servant working in kildare street, be interesting to see if theres any truth in it come monday or if she's taking the piss out of me

I think he has stated where he gets his figures from on many occasions.
    he should cite and link to his sources everytime he posts them, each posts needs to stand on its own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Lockdown from monday on for the whole country, got a text from my aunt who's a very senior civil servant working in kildare street, be interesting to see if theres any truth in it come monday or if she's taking the piss out of me

Hello again March!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-misinformation-about-emergency-measures-continues-to-circulate-1.4204112

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

16 community transmissions today? Is there any mention of where these are occurring? What counties?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I hope she doesn't also work in the Clayton on Pearse Street!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Was it a WhatsApp, seriously why post sh1te like this

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

Can people please stop the haranguing...

If lack of haranguing was the benchmark for posting here, the thread would have been empty since around May, when the demographics changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

antodeco wrote: »

Why

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

antodeco wrote: »

Ha ha, that was so funny at the time. Someone had such a vendetta against them, the hazmat reports were daily :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement