Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I just want this idea of the virus being around for many months before it spread from Chinina to be tested. It's a nagging idea in the back of my mind.

I know many have dismissed it, as I have done.

Surely, we would have picked up on illness and deaths back in late winter last year?

But, I dunno. The idea still is still nagging me.
    There are doctors in the CUH who believe it has been here since October and have treated people with similar symptoms since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There are doctors in the CUH who believe it has been here since October and have treated people with similar symptoms since then.
    Yeah but some of the symptoms are common to other illnesses.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yeah but some of the symptoms are common to other illnesses.
    I'm fairly certain a doctor can tell the difference between COVID and other illnesses if the whole 'its nothing like the flu' story is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭spookwoman

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I just want this idea of the virus being around for many months before it spread from Chinina to be tested. It's a nagging idea in the back of my mind.

I know many have dismissed it, as I have done.

Surely, we would have picked up on illness and deaths back in late winter last year?

But, I dunno. The idea still is still nagging me.

Have a relative who got a bad dose back at the start of the year and still having problems with pain breathing etc. Doctors don't know what it was and I wouldnt be surprised if it was covid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,687 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Whats the story with the numbers today?

• Advertisement

I'm fairly certain a doctor can tell the difference between COVID and other illnesses if the whole 'its nothing like the flu' story is true.
    Maybe they can but thinking it's the case and being able to prove it are very different things, Evidence is lacking on that early occurrence of it.

Have to remember the first death of a person through community transmission was mid-February in the CUH. That means infection in roughly late January.

Have to remember the first death of a person through community transmission was mid-February in the CUH. That means infection in roughly late January.
    Pretty sure they use March as the date for us. It did come up a few times and the CMO used that date.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0311/1121526-harris-covid-19/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

spookwoman wrote: »
    Have a relative who got a bad dose back at the start of the year and still having problems with pain breathing etc. Doctors don't know what it was and I wouldnt be surprised if it was covid

I keep thinking back to February. I met up with a friend who's kid was sick with a high temperature. A few days later, I get a very bad runny nose, like streaming out of my nose. That was very unusual for me. I remember googling if a runny nose was a symptom of covid but I brushed it off because it wasn't even in the country back then. The same week, my friend gets sick and ends up in hospital.

Hope this was it for me but I'm still being cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

0 deaths 200 cases.

Some backlog that one would guess after the differences last 2 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

200 cases. Alarmingly high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Fair play to him for resigning. Very rare in Irish politics. I'm still none the wiser if he actually broke a rule though.
    Obviously representing Irish tourism and going to Italy while thousands of families are out of pocket for holidays
    they paid for because flights still running, yet gov advice was you shouldn't travel. Holiday insurance invalidated but recourse for a refund.
    A bit unfair all round.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1294612527272415233?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

I doubt they would have been able to tell before February though - having not seen confirmed cases

0 deaths 200 cases.

As expected yeah, interesting to see locations

Prepare for meltdown here in a minute!

wadacrack wrote: »

I'm fairly sure it tallies closely with the discrepancies in postive tests v reported cases in the last few days.

ACE can correct me on that if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭prunudo

Back logged cases not really helping in giving a true picture of whats going on.

Day 7 testing for some?

• Advertisement

I'm fairly sure it tallies closely with the discrepancies in postive tests v reported cases in the last few days.

ACE can correct me on that if I'm wrong.
    It lines up perfectly - ~120 today and ~70 from yesterday

As expected yeah, interesting to see locations

Pretty sure that's the numbers for the last 2-3 days accounted for now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

0 deaths 200 cases.

yep all the backlog positive tests added in now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,625 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There is absolutely zero evidence Covid was in Europe before December.

They have retrospectively tested blood and sewage samples.

If Covid was in Ireland in October we would have been Northern Italy.

prunudo wrote: »
    Back logged cases not really helping in giving a true picture of whats going on.
    Well we have been warned to expect rises and falls for a while. Glynn has also said not to be alarmed about it. Let's see where we are over the next week or so. The lockdown counties were looking OK over the last few days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

yep all the backlog positive tests added in now.

Why are they adding a backlog to all this? It really doesn't help with much.

Any word on how much is community transmission?

103 are men and 96 are women
    68% are under 45 years of age
    68 are confirmed to be associated with outbreaks or are close contacts of a confirmed case
    25 cases have been identified as community transmission
    56 are in Dublin, 81 in Kildare, 13 in Tipperary, 8 in Limerick, 6 Laois, 6 in Galway, 5 in Kilkenny, 5 in Meath and the rest of the 20 cases are in Carlow, Clare, Cork, Donegal, Louth, Mayo, Offaly, Roscommon, Waterford and Wicklow

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

That’s a nice round number. Statistically speaking.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Thought the backlog was cleared?

Ridiculous numbers from Kildare again. Dublin spiking big time again too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Positive test last 48hrs - 260
    Cases last 48hrs - 267

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Shocking!

• Advertisement

68 are confirmed to be associated with outbreaks or are close contacts of a confirmed case
    56 are in Dublin, 81 in Kildare, 13 in Tipperary, 8 in Limerick, 6 Laois, 6 in Galway, 5 in Kilkenny, 5 in Meath and the rest of the 20 cases are in Carlow, Clare, Cork, Donegal, Louth, Mayo, Offaly, Roscommon, Waterford and Wicklow

WTF is going on in Kildare?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

JJJackal wrote: »
    I doubt they would have been able to tell before February though - having not seen confirmed cases

Might have fit another algorithm, but surely enough to cause concern, different cohort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Awfully big number, glad Cork seems to be keeping things under control so far anyway. Hopefully stays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,687 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Community transmission is steadily rising - thats more of a concern

Kildare looks fecked by those figures

• Advertisement

Growing alot in Dublin and Kildare. Laois and Offaly probably were not counties most in need of a lockdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Community Transmission growing slowing. Hopefully they can trace the origins for most of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

We may need to go back a step and partially shutdown social and recreation areas that could be identified with community transmission.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

I'd put money that the community transmission cases are arising mostly in Kildare and Dublin. The Dublin rise came from pretty much nowhere.

Positive test last 48hrs - 260
    Cases last 48hrs - 267

Roughly 70 from yesterday so I think it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Another Gender Neutral positive today given the 200 cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

WTF is going on in Kildare?

Extensive testing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

It's all fine guys the 'backlog' has just been cleared the backlog from duckin yesterday. Absolutely crazy, it's over, we can't contain it, the country needs a lockdown or else numbers are going to rise quickly. We're not far off being on par with Brazil and the USA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Jesus.
    This thing is back spreading like Wildfire.
    Let’s remember it can take three weeks for people to develop symptoms and present for testing .
    Could be a tough few weeks ahead. Hard to see how they can open schools or pubs at this rate

Growing alot in Dublin and Kildare. Laois and Offaly probably were not counties most in need of a lockdown.

Its based on cases per 100k, the threshold for Dublin would be much higher than those counties

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement