Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Awfully big number, glad Cork seems to be keeping things under control so far anyway. Hopefully stays
    Compliance down here seems incredibly high, great to see we have low numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Ridiculous numbers from Kildare again. Dublin spiking big time again too.

Not surprising the two are rising together given the amount of commuting between the two counties.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    It's all fine guys the 'backlog' has just been cleared the backlog from duckin yesterday. Absolutely crazy, it's over, we can't contain it, the country needs a lockdown or else numbers are going to rise quickly. We're not far off being on par with Brazil and the USA
    That actually made me laugh, apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Is it reasonable to assume that the lockdown last week was partially because they sort of knew we were going to have a week of rising numbers? In a weird sense , it’s somewhat comforting if it shows they are getting better at responding to spikes quickly and pro actively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭feelings

Don't have any of those. But seems I was right.
    Le Bruise wrote: »
    Based on feelings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Holy Moly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

WTF is going on in Kildare?

Those would largely be the results of the infections from two weeks ago. Next week is going to be really important. It might actually be that they were too slow with lockdown and suppression will take considerably longer now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Oranage2 wrote: »
    It's all fine guys the 'backlog' has just been cleared the backlog from duckin yesterday. Absolutely crazy, it's over, we can't contain it, the country needs a lockdown or else numbers are going to rise quickly. We're not far off being on par with Brazil and the USA

When we start hitting their death levels come back with that hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Second lockdown likely IMO. :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Talk in the Examiner of Tipperary being locked down in the next few days.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40032815.html

Being realistic, schools aren't going to be opening. If a mushroom plant can close a whole county, 7+ schools having a simultaneous outbreak in a given county, and all the parents workplaces having to close as a knock-on consequence too? That's not sustainable even in one county at a go, let alone four counties. No doubt there'll be more spread in the coming weeks. Nobody is being deceived by this utter farce any more, it's plain to see. We're too small a country for this to spread like this.

Compliance down here seems incredibly high, great to see we have low numbers

I’m in Bettystown and my mum said earlier in the town it was black with people, little social distancing and not much mask wearing.

There’s a local convenience store I now avoid as they don’t give a crap about masks or social distancing. Deplorable stuff and they seem to attract the belligerent group of sailors that love to live dangerously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Life has to continue. Cases were always going to rise after lockdown eased. Keep safe and taking precautions but that's all you can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,625 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I don't like the tone of Doctor Ronan.

Maybe that guys Whatsapp message from his Aunt wasn't complete horseshít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Not a hope in hell of pubs reopening. I'd wager we're close to going back a phase or 2. They won't waste time on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Ridiculous numbers from Kildare again. Dublin spiking big time again too.

Half of Kildare work in Dublin, tens of thousands of people moving back and forth on a daily basis even during the three county lockdown isn't helping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

wadacrack wrote: »
    Growing alot in Dublin and Kildare. Laois and Offaly probably were not counties most in need of a lockdown.

Dublin still low per population

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,956 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Drumpot wrote: »
    Is it reasonable to assume that the lockdown last week was partially because they sort of knew we were going to have a week of rising numbers? In a weird sense , it’s somewhat comforting if it shows they are getting better at responding to spikes quickly and pro actively.

New/total cases means nothing. It just means they caught a virus which has minimal risk to the majority of people (thankfully). The numbers in/entering hospital or deaths are what count.

Per the IT, there's only 14 in hospital as of last night, 8 of those in ICU.

Second lockdown likely IMO. :(

Some posted said it yesterday that they knew a senior civil servant who said will be lockdown on Monday. Why wait till Monday? Either we need a lockdown or we don’t, this sort of “we will lockdown on Monday” (leaving 3 days for no obvious reason) makes no sense to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Not a hope in hell of pubs reopening. I'd wager we're close to going back a phase or 2. They won't waste time on it.

Is it time to do some Penney's shopping?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Turtwig wrote: »
    Those would largely be the results of the infections from two weeks ago. Next week is going to be really important. It might actually be that they were too slow with lockdown and suppression will take considerably longer now.

Locking down again means people being indoors more for the majority of the time so increasing the amount of contact people have, especially when you close down factories with 200+ staff and send them home where you could live in a house with 9 others you're not related to making social distancing impossible..
    Locking down may bring the numbers down after a few weeks, then you're back to Covid Roulette again, spin the wheel and see what number it stops at.

The good thing is there's no deaths...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

At least we had no deaths reported today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

MattS1 wrote: »
    Life has to continue. Cases were always going to rise after lockdown eased. Keep safe and taking precautions but that's all you can do.

That's it, I'm sick to the b*****ks of it. Sadly I think this amount of cases has to lead to some kind of increase in deaths and or hospitalizations. 32% over 45.

Deaths and hospitalizations are what it's all about now. It can't be stopped from spreading unless we go zero COVID.

Analysis of cases as of midnight Thursday 12th August - 26,991 cases (+63)

Healthcare Workers +4
    Clusters +3
    Cases associated with clusters +26

Age Range Affected
    0-4 +2
    5-14 +3
    15-24 +17
    25-34 +11
    35-44 +13
    45-54 +7
    55-64 +3
    65-74 +4
    75-84 +1
    85+ +2

Cases by County
    Carlow +3
    Clare +7
    Cork +3
    Donegal +3
    Dublin +15
    Kildare +13
    Laois +4
    Limerick +5
    Longford +1
    Louth +1
    Meath +1
    Offaly -1
    Sligo +2
    Tipperary +2
    Wexford +1
    Wicklow +3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

does anyone still think we don't have a problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Is it time to do some Penney's shopping?

And get a good haircut too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    New/total cases means nothing. It just means they caught a virus which has minimal risk to the majority of people (thankfully). The numbers in/entering hospital or deaths are what count.

Per the IT, there's only 14 in hospital as of last night, 8 of those in ICU.

Without a new lockdown by the time late Oct comes around the hospitals wouldn't be able to cope.

We could have a 100k active cases by then. No government can let that happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Boggles wrote: »
    There is absolutely zero evidence Covid was in Europe before December.

They have retrospectively tested blood and sewage samples.

If Covid was in Ireland in October we would have been Northern Italy.

I know a bundle of people swearing they had it in December. Hard not to roll my eyes when I hear it...

Boggles wrote: »
    I don't like the tone of Doctor Ronan.

Maybe that guys Whatsapp message from his Aunt wasn't complete horseshít.

Where you watching it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Turtwig wrote: »
    I posted yesterday about new outbreaks in different towns in kildare ( factories) and an increase in Community Transmissions.. wasn’t expecting Kildare’s numbers to this high today but a lot of today’s numbers are a huge uptake in testing , I am still expecting Kildare’s numbers to remain between 40-60 for the coming week ..

I think today is the 4th day in a row that well over 50% of cases have come from Dublin and Kildare. We haven't really seen any major growth outside of those two counties, besides the odd cluster in Limerick, Clare, and now that factory in Tipp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,494 ✭✭✭✭road_high

froog wrote: »

Don’t think anyone ever said we didn’t? It’s putting the cases in perspective and how we deal with has been the issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,666 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Loads I'm sure.

I distinctly remember a few weeks back certain posters saying they wouldn't get concerned as long as the daily case numbers stayed under 25/30 a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,530 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Opening up the country and have everyone holidaying in every county in Ireland leads to cases everywhere. Hopefully with schools back and the traditional holiday period over we might get a handle on it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Isn't this the,"nothing to see here thread"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Kildare and Dublin.... At least they are detecting the spread from the clusters, but I really don't think these clusters have been contained.

As it moves without symptoms through younger people, I would expect a more wider spread in the community with hospital cases picking up within the next month or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The country can’t fund a second shutdown. Someone has to pay for it

I think today is the 4th day in a row that well over 50% of cases have come from Dublin and Kildare. We haven't really seen any major growth outside of those two counties, besides the odd cluster in Limerick, Clare, and now that factory in Tipp.

6 in Galway is quite a big jump. It's usually 1 case the odd day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Here we again!

Without a new lockdown by the time late Oct comes around the hospitals wouldn't be able to cope.

We could have a 100k active cases by then. No government can let that happen.

And cold and flu season almost upon us as well. Winter is going to be a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

irishgeo wrote: »
    Opening up the country and have everyone holidaying in every county in Ireland leads to cases everywhere. Hopefully with schools back and the traditional holiday period over we might get a handle on it again.
    So they travelled all over the country (probably mostly outdoors) getting the virus but sending them in big numbers into poorly ventilated spaces will solve it.

Totally bizarre assertion.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Kildare and Dublin.... At least they are detecting the spread from the clusters, but I really don't think these clusters have been contained.

As it moves without symptoms through younger people, I would expect a more wider spread in the community with hospital cases picking up within the next month or so.
    On the 15th of July Cork had 33 more cases than Kildare, total.
    Today, Kildare has over 400 more cases than Cork.
    Ridiculous numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

irishgeo wrote: »
    Hopefully with schools back ...... we might get a handle on it again.

Hahahahahahaha.. you kidder you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Despite today's awful number 7 average figure is stable. With cases continuing to rise in Dublin and Kildare and community spread increasing not alot of room for optimism

Day Month Date Cases 7 Day
    Sunday July 26th 12 17.43
    Monday July 27th 11 18.14
    Tuesday July 28th 40 18.71
    Wednesday July 29th 14 18.29
    Thursday July 30th 85 29.43
    Friday July 31st 38 32.00
    Saturday August 1st 45 35.00
    Sunday August 2nd 53 40.86
    Monday August 3rd 46 45.86
    Tuesday August 4th 45 46.57
    Wednesday August 5th 50 51.71
    Thursday August 6th 69 49.43
    Friday August 7th 98 58.00
    Saturday August 8th 174 76.43
    Sunday August 9th 68 78.57
    Monday August 10th 57 80.14
    Tuesday August 11th 35 78.71
    Wednesday August 12th 40 77.29
    Thursday August 13th 92 80.57
    Friday August 14th 67 76.14
    Saturday August 15th 200 79.86

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'd like to know where in Wicklow the cases are cropping up, if they're on the west of the county then it makes sense being close to Kildare, but unfortunately they don't go into that detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Trampas

WTF is going on in Kildare?

I was in the local SuperValu yesterday evening and this morning I got notified by app that my phone picked up another phone that has been identified as belonging to someone who has tested positive with Covid. That person might have said the hell with this quarantine after 1 day or 14 days or whatever but it’s disappointing that people who are positive don’t do what they should do. I rang hse and said nothing to worry about as more than likely it was someone in queue. Just near someone. I was gone 15-20 minutes from leaving home to returning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

This is the reality of the next 6 to 12 months. Unless we come up with some new strategy to fully suppress or go zero Covid (far fetched), this will be what will happen every 1-2 months. There’ll be lots of 10, highs of 2/300.

If we lockdown again, repeat the last 3 months again. Then again. And then again. Pointless approach.

25 cases of community transmission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

MattS1 wrote: »

Somewhere along the way people forgot the purpose of the lockdown, which was to prevent the hospital's becomming overwhelmed.

That won't happen when the cases are among the young thankfully.

Gael23 wrote: »
    The country can’t fund a second shutdown. Someone has to pay for it

We made an absolute balls of this whole thing. They should have at least made masks mandatory in all indoor settings. But just certain settings. An absolute joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Given that these recent spikes are mostly caused by food factories which were open all through lockdown, is it reasonable to assume these just weren’t being caught back then?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement