Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

irishgeo wrote: »
    Opening up the country and have everyone holidaying in every county in Ireland leads to cases everywhere. Hopefully with schools back and the traditional holiday period over we might get a handle on it again.

Schools going back is going to have the opposite effect. It's going to get worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Trampas wrote: »
    I was in the local SuperValu yesterday evening and this morning I got notified by app that my phone picked up another phone that has been identified as belonging to someone who has tested positive with Covid. That person might have said the hell with this quarantine after 1 day or 14 days or whatever but it’s disappointing that people who are positive don’t do what they should do. I rang hse and said nothing to worry about as more than likely it was someone in queue. Just near someone. I was gone 15-20 minutes from leaving home to returning
    I thought you had to be within 2m of them for 15 minutes? Wtf is the point of giving you a notification and then telling you "oh it's nothing"? If it's nothing you shouldn't get a notification. People who are close contacts of confirmed cases need to isolate and get tested, not continue about their business as though nothing is wrong.

The system is fucked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭Tork

Somewhere along the way people forgot the purpose of the lockdown, which was to prevent the hospital's becoming overwhelmed.

That won't happen when the cases are among the young thankfully.

Except the young also meet people who aren't as youthful and robust as they are.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Remarkable the cases are so low in Kerry. Hotel I work at in Killarney is full, almost 300 staying every night pretty much since we reopened over a month ago. People are being sensible, there's sanitizer everywhere and compliance is high with some of the changes that have been introduced to how the hotel operates. Not that I'm complaining obviously, but it's striking how unaffected the county as a whole is at the moment, particularly given the large number of visitors we'd get from all areas of the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

I was in the local SuperValu yesterday evening and this morning I got notified by app that my phone picked up another phone that has been identified as belonging to someone who has tested positive with Covid. That person might have said the hell with this quarantine after 1 day or 14 days or whatever but it’s disappointing that people who are positive don’t do what they should do. I rang hse and said nothing to worry about as more than likely it was someone in queue. Just near someone. I was gone 15-20 minutes from leaving home to returning

What is the point of the app if your just going to be told oh its nothing. That is absolutely shocking

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

We made an absolute balls of this whole thing. They should have at least made masks mandatory in all indoor settings. But just certain settings. An absolute joke.

Shoulda Coulda Woulda. You keep saying this and it won't change where we are now. We each need to ensure we're doing all we can to protect ourselves and others. Best not to wait to be told to do something if you yourself feel it's needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

We made an absolute balls of this whole thing. They should have at least made masks mandatory in all indoor settings. But just certain settings. An absolute joke.

Should be like other european countries. Mask as soon as you leave your house. €200 fine if not wearing one. Our mickey mouse approach will cost us dearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Given that these recent spikes are mostly caused by food factories which were open all through lockdown, is it reasonable to assume these just weren’t being caught back then?

Considering 84 of the 87 from Brady's ham factory had no symptoms... Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The HSA needs to carry out unannounced inspections of workplaces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Remarkable the cases are so low in Kerry. Hotel I work at in Killarney is full, almost 300 staying every night pretty much since we reopened over a month ago. People are being sensible, there's sanitizer everywhere and compliance is high with some of the changes that have been introduced to how the hotel operates. Not that I'm complaining obviously, but it's striking how unaffected the county as a whole is at the moment, particularly given the large number of visitors we'd get from all areas of the country.

You covered the reason when you said compliance was high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

County by County 14 day figures (excluding today)
    Carlow +21
    Cavan +12
    Clare +37
    Cork +25
    Donegal +27
    Dublin +155
    Galway +6
    Kerry +4
    Kildare +310
    Kilkenny +10
    Laois +66
    Leitrim +1
    Limerick +41
    Longford +1
    Louth +8
    Mayo +8
    Meath +27
    Monaghan +4
    Offaly +105
    Roscommon +2
    Sligo +6
    Tipperary +5
    Waterford +1
    Westmeath +2
    Wexford +23
    Wicklow +10

Total: 917
    In the last 14 days:
    - Kildare accounts for 34% of cases, Dublin accounts for 17% and Offaly accounts for 12% of cases.
    - Laois, albeit under 'LOKDown', accounts for 7% of cases.
    - Leinster accounts for 84% of cases.
    - Munster accounts for 12% of cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Very worrying numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

irishgeo wrote: »
    Opening up the country and have everyone holidaying in every county in Ireland leads to cases everywhere. Hopefully with schools back and the traditional holiday period over we might get a handle on it again.

Are you serious? The plan is to put groups of 30 in small rooms in every town and village in the country. It's going to accelerate the spread of the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Trampas

s1ippy wrote: »
    I thought you had to be within 2m of them for 15 minutes? Wtf is the point of giving you a notification and then telling you "oh it's nothing"? If it's nothing you shouldn't get a notification. People who are close contacts of confirmed cases need to isolate and get tested, not continue about their business as though nothing is wrong.

The system is fucked.

I don’t know. It wasn’t a contact tracing notification

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Should be like other european countries. Mask as soon as you leave your house. €200 fine if not wearing one. Our mickey mouse approach will cost us dearly.

Friend of mine lives in New York and says masks are worn everywhere and it’s accepted so life can go on relatively normal. The city has totally bought into it aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Would appear the Offaly and Laois should be out of lockdown at the first review Kildare on the other hand looks fecked, given the size of the population and it's Dublin centric commute, maybe local cordons will be required to close off the hot spots from the rest of the county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Surely they need to reconsider the school reopenings now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,625 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Arghus wrote: »
    25 cases of community transmission.

That's an absolute minimum. It's more than likely more.

If the majority of that is happening in Kildare, they will have to rethink the wishy washy "lockdown" they have imposed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Not sure about outside in our weather. But indoors, yes. I have a simple rule I follow, if it's indoors and there'll be people, I mask up. None of this crap about masks in retail and public transport and bingo halls but then not in an office. Our government makes no sense.

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »

If the majority of that is happening in Kildare, they will have to rethink the wishy washy "lockdown" they have imposed.
    I would assume the vast majority of those are in Kildare, given that it is seeing the biggest increases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

OMG OMG OMG 200 CASES!

How many deaths, guys? None.

Killer virus indeed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Absolutely tip of the iceberg, seeing that the detected cases are more in younger people.

Seems to be a common trend post lockdown in other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I don’t know. It wasn’t a contact tracing notification

Kind of curious, saw that you said you had a "matched key" over in the thread about the application.
    Did you need to go hunting in the settings manually to see that for yourself (rather than app actually "warning" you of anything [via a notification]?)

Drumpot wrote: »
    Where you watching it?

No press conference tonight.

He always adds a couple of comments to the press releases.

Now he is usually cautious.

But today.
    This is the largest number of cases in a single day since the beginning of May. We now have multiple clusters with secondary spread of disease and rising numbers of cases in many parts of the country. This is deeply concerning. NPHET will monitor this extremely closely over the coming days."

This virus is still out there and has not gone away. COVID-19 seeks to capitalise on complacency and is just waiting for the opportunity to spread. I am asking everyone, especially those who are over 70 or medically vulnerable, to limit your contacts, keep your distance from other people and take extra care to heed public health advice

If I had to guess over 70s and the vulnerable are going to get the stick and Kildare will probably have to into a actual "lockdown" depending on where we are by Thursday.

Anyone on here from Kildare able to comment on mask compliance? Genuinely interested in if people actually wear masks in the areas we're seeing biggest increases.
    I only say that because in Cork we're seeing low numbers with high compliance.

• Advertisement

Lundstram wrote: »
    OMG OMG OMG 200 CASES!

How many death, guys? None.

Killer virus indeed.

It takes longer than 24 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,494 ✭✭✭✭road_high

People really losing their heads here. Calm down. Wearing masks simply because you’re outside is stupid and makes no sense. Think rationally for gods sake instead of jumping off the next available cliff.
    Masks have done flip all to kerb the latest spike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

froog wrote: »
    does anyone still think we don't have a problem?
    The clusters still growing is a concern but the community transmission is still pretty low. Let's see where we are towards the end of next week.

road_high wrote: »
    People really losing their heads here. Calm down. Wearing masks simply because you’re outside is stupid and makes no sense. Think rationally for gods sake instead of jumping off the next available cliff.

How do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

OMG OMG OMG 200 CASES!

How many death, guys? None.

Killer virus indeed.

Well if you ignore the dead this is clearly not fatal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

No press conference tonight.

He always adds a couple of comments to the press releases.

Now he is usually cautious.

But today.

If I had to guess over 70s and the vulnerable are going to get the stick and Kildare will probably have to into a actual "lockdown" depending on where we are by Thursday.

Warning signs are on the wall, it's basically if you're elderly or vulnerable act like you're in phase 2 or we'll have to go back to the actual phase 2

Anyone on here from Kildare able to comment on mask compliance? Genuinely interested in if people actually wear masks in the areas we're seeing biggest increases.

Not from Kildare but neighbouring county and often in Kildare since masks came in. Compliance as high as anywhere else really. Zilch to do with masks or not in my opinion. This is in people’s homes and workplaces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Would u stop with this Cork are doing great agenda.

It hits different places at different times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

So true.why stop at masks on 24/7.eye goggles next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,368 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

In fairness on buses in cork it's nearly 100 % compliance on masks and it's great and since the mandatory on indoor places you see more people wearing masks in shops and I passed several hairdressers on a walk this morning and it's a wierd but encouraging site to see everyone wearing masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

People have been getting very complacent about things so it's probably good to be reminded how infectious it is.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    In fairness on buses in cork it's nearly 100 % compliance on masks and it's great and since the mandatory on indoor places you see more people wearing masks in shops and I passed several hairdressers on a walk this morning and it's a wierd but encouraging site to see everyone wearing masks.
    100%, our numbers definitely reflect that

OMG OMG OMG 200 CASES!

Killer virus indeed.

Posters losing their heads here completely. It’s no wonder that kind of panic feeds through to government. It’s going to bankrupt us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Talk in the Examiner of Tipperary being locked down in the next few days.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40032815.html

Being realistic, schools aren't going to be opening. If a mushroom plant can close a whole county, 7+ schools having a simultaneous outbreak in a given county, and all the parents workplaces having to close as a knock-on consequence too? That's not sustainable even in one county at a go, let alone four counties. No doubt there'll be more spread in the coming weeks. Nobody is being deceived by this utter farce any more, it's plain to see. We're too small a country for this to spread like this.

Tipp FM reporting that all the staff etc that had to be tested due to Walsh Mushrooms were tested today so we should have results tomorrow. That will tell alot. If they can contain it within Walsh Mushrooms then that bodes well for the reopening of the schools as it proves we can have a cluster and it doesn't have to spread. But if it jumps from there into one of the meat factories close by (they all rely on workers from Eastern Europe) then we've a big problem both for Tipperary and for the reopening of schools.

If there is to be a lockdown in Tipperary it will be interesting to see if they close only a part of the county. Maybe specific towns that the staff worked or lived in. Say Golden, Cashel and Tipperary Town. That would be a more targeted lockdown than the blanket one that was imposed in Laois, Offaly and Kildare.

Tomorrow's press conference will be one of the most important ones in the past few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,530 ✭✭✭irishgeo

So they travelled all over the country (probably mostly outdoors) getting the virus but sending them in big numbers into poorly ventilated spaces will solve it.

Totally bizarre assertion.

How do you know they stayed outdoors? They still have to go indoors for food etc. Some people don't think the mask rules apply to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Back of envelope figures now to cheer everyone up...

Fact is we are catching waaaayy more cases than we used to. Not 100% but a lot.

Since end of February we have recorded 27000 cases to round it up.

But antibody suggestions and other guesses say we used to be catching about 10%of cases. Surveys showing 5% antibodies in population of Ireland in or around, or 10 times 27000 already notified are both around the 270,000 mark.

Let's just say 270,000 people have gotten this since March.
    March - June - let's say we were getting our sh1t together re testing, and since July we have been finding most of the cases in the country.

March to June is 120 days or so. 270000 divided by 120 is 2200.

So...if we had been having daily reports of true numbers with Covid since March every day we could have been told 2200 people have tested positive and every day we could have run around the house screaming.

200 today, when we are catching most - which I hope we are - is a lot, LOT better than what we have already journeyed through, unknowingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

In town today in Cork, compliance was very high again. Just saw one or two from a certain ethnic minority not wearing masks. Gold star.

100%, our numbers definitely reflect that

Nothing to do with masks. They’re wearing them everywhere in the country, not just in cork !

touts wrote: »
    Tomorrow's press conference will be one of the most important ones in the past few months.

Mondays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Posters losing their heads here completely. It’s no wonder that kind of panic feeds through to government. It’s going to bankrupt us

Or poor you you might have to pay an extra euro out of your pay packet. Who cares in uncle and aunt Murphy die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

RTÉ the biggest culprits. Announced case numbers in their Tweet but not death numbers. Sheeple underneath in the comments calling for national lockdown. You couldn't make it up.

Nothing to do with masks. They’re wearing them everywhere in the country, not just in cork !

Again, how do you know?

Unless you are running a concurrent placebo study you are just talking out of your ring piece, would that be accurate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Dave0301

OMG OMG OMG 200 CASES!

Killer virus indeed.

Clearly, the risk of death from Covid-19 is different for different people.

However, given that people who post on Boards.ie have family and friends that have died from it, your post is fairly crass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I posted yesterday. I drove through Maynooth at 4pm yesterday. Every pub, restaurant and cafe was open and the place was heaving. The existing rules were being pushed to the max. It’s either a lockdown or it’s not!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement