Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,494 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Boggles wrote: »
    Jesus 8 months into the global pandemic and this people are still spouting this absolute scutter.

What that there’s no peer reviewed studies on masks? There isn’t. I’m just pointing that out. People are clutching to these like sacred rosary beads. I’m questioning their imagined benefits in more widespread circumstances. I wear them as mandated but do it think they have any real benefit? Fcuk all.
    It’s social distancing and good hygiene that are really key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

March called, it wants it's false equivalency argument back.

How is it a false equivalency? There are countless cases of cancer going undiagnosed here and abroad. When that missed window of opportunity to treat that translates into fatalities and people in their 30's and 40's die of cancer are they less important than covid deaths? We're sentencing this country to a death of a thousand cuts with this covid tunnel vision.

You should take the time to learn how to use your camera.

Also Rockshore? Lol.

You're very fond of attacking people unprovoked aren't you boggles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,625 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

road_high wrote: »
    What that there’s no peer reviewed studies on masks? There isn’t. I’m just pointing that out. People are clutching to these like sacred rosary beads. I’m questioning their imagined benefits in more widespread circumstances. I wear them as mandated but do it think they have any real benefit? Fcuk all.

Where is the peer reviewed study on "good hygiene"?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

s1ippy wrote: »
    To the people who are getting excited that there are no deaths.

1. Deaths here take weeks and sometimes months to report due to the notification procedures.

2. From onset of symptoms to death is typically 9+ days, for those who do die.

I hope to feck you're still yelling that we're getting worked up over nothing in a few weeks.
    If deaths occur in a hospital setting where the vast majority happen they are immediately notified, particularly now that the nursing home debacle has passed it is only the odd notification that is delayed.

screamer wrote: »
    Idiots more like. The more people go back to normal the closer to going back into lockdown as a country we get. Idiots

That’s your opinion but you’re never ever going to stop human interactions going on. I’m merely pointing out the reality of how life goes on.
    You can lockdown again. You can ban people leaving their houses. But guarantee once that relaxes people will interact again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Trampas

Anyone on here from Kildare able to comment on mask compliance? Genuinely interested in if people actually wear masks in the areas we're seeing biggest increases.
    I only say that because in Cork we're seeing low numbers with high compliance.

My SuperValu had to back track on making masks compulsory. It’s shocking that people complain about things like this. It’s like they don’t like been told what to do. Wear a visor if masks bothers you that much. They do delivery if you want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

103 are men and 96 are women
    68% are under 45 years of age
    68 are confirmed to be associated with outbreaks or are close contacts of a confirmed case
    25 cases have been identified as community transmission
    56 are in Dublin, 81 in Kildare, 13 in Tipperary, 8 in Limerick, 6 Laois, 6 in Galway, 5 in Kilkenny, 5 in Meath and the rest of the 20 cases are in Carlow, Clare, Cork, Donegal, Louth, Mayo, Offaly, Roscommon, Waterford and Wicklow

High number today. Very disappointing. My biggest worry is all the cases cropping up outside of the troublesome areas and clusters outside of the factories and LOKdown.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    There are countless cases of cancer going undiagnosed here and abroad.

I hate to break it to you, but that was happening pre Covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

You should take the time to learn how to use your camera.

Also Rockshore? Lol.

Now now, it’s the only good pint here. I can drink a lot worse!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,566 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

2 weeks time will be the important figures, the aftermath of spread from the meat plants and direct provision centres should have tappered off then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Jesus 8 months into the global pandemic and this people are still spouting this absolute scutter.

They just don't care. As long as they are young and healthy that's all that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,872 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

90 people die every day in the Republic of Ireland, what makes a covid death more important than a death caused by cancer, heart problems etc?

Because you don’t get cancer or a heart problem walking into a shop, pub, social setting...

9000 people die a year in Ireland from cancer.

1774 covid deaths so far

behavior such as a meeting can’t give you cancer.

9000 cancer deaths could be 11,000 next year, but social contact won’t influence this.

With covid 1174 deaths could be 100,000, what is preventing this is the majority doing what has been asked of them. Sacrifice and disciple.

Tonight is a covid shîtshow....the biggest single day in upsurges since May, 200 additional cases.

You're very fond of attacking people unprovoked aren't you boggles?

Attacking?

That's next level hyperbole.

Good man.

That’s your opinion but you’re never ever going to stop human interactions going on. I’m merely pointing out the reality of how life goes on.
    You can lockdown again. You can ban people leaving their houses. But guarantee once that relaxes people will interact again.

I just don't understand what the likes of him expect from people. Are people supposed to never socialize, meet friends/family or just go to the shops or restaurants again?

While I do think people need to exercise caution I also take the view that people have been bombarded for the last 6 months, let up with the rabid condemnations a bit.

• Advertisement

I think you should abandon your argument and take the high_road

I’m not making an argument im pointing out that people from cork seem to think they have less cases because of some imagined extra mask compliance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Have to realise a huge amount of people from kildare and Laois work in the greater Dublin area ..so you have thousands travelling between the counties on a daily basis.. this is why lockdown isn’t working or won’t work. Areas need to be locked down fully not counties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Trampas wrote: »
    My SuperValu had to back track on making masks compulsory. It’s shocking that people complain about things like this. It’s like they don’t like been told what to do. Wear a visor if masks bothers you that much. They do delivery if you want to.

In my local spar the other day everyone wearing masks except one loud mouth idiot standing in the middle of the aisle absolutely blaring down his phone. He moved around the shop talking away loudly standing in each aisle. I passed him by the last aisle and said straight out to him he should have a mask on. I don’t care that type of ignorance is what will drag us back to lockdown. We all have a civic duty to follow the rules and for once not be spineless, call out the idiots.

I hate to break it to you, but that was happening pre Covid.

I hate to break it to you but not having bowel screen, cervical and breast check running has only increased the problem. Or by the sounds of your Blaise attitude is that acceptable?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Here's the science as it stands outside a labatory
    https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/masking-lack-of-evidence-with-politics/
    Second paragraph
    It is debatable whether any of these results could be applied to the transmission of SARs-CoV-2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I’m not making an argument im pointing out that people from cork seem to think they have less cases because of some imagined extra mask compliance.
    We had more cases than 24 other counties up until last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

owlbethere wrote: »
    High number today. Very disappointing. My biggest worry is all the cases cropping up outside of the troublesome areas and clusters outside of the factories and LOKdown.

Yes, cases in 18 of the 26 counties today.

Ronan Glynns comments show NPHET are genuinely worried now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

For the umpteenth time so. Empirical evidence.

No spread in supermarkets, virtually no staff infected. All through March, April, May, June, July. With no masks. With hundreds if not thousands of customers coming through every day. Staff handling their goods and cash. Talking to and interacting with them. Staff stocking the shelves amongst the customers. All with no masks.

So we masks mandatory in supermarkets.

Expecting what effect from this exactly?

Don't those staff have plastic in front of them, sanitiser and training? Viruses spread by fluids and two of those sources are nose and mouth. Of course covering those areas helps.

Are the government out to fool everyone as part of the new world order?

I just don't understand what the likes of him expect from people. Are people supposed to never socialize, meet friends/family or just go to the shops or restaurants again?

While I do think people need to exercise caution I also take the view that people have been bombarded for the last 6 months, let up with the rabid condemnations a bit.

Not never just not now. It’s this type of lax boo boo poor us for the last 6 months attitude that is causing cases to rise. I tell ya we’ve little tenacity if we can’t accept that and stick to the rules, in fact, we’ll suffer all the longer for it.

I dunno. You just can’t stop people interacting for extended timelines. Everyone has a choice now. They can choose to stay at home themselves if they feel unsafe or not. Funnily enough were there in the same restaurant- if you’re that bothered I think you’d be at home with a take away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Gael23 wrote: »
    The country can’t fund a second shutdown. Someone has to pay for it

There's a very, very difficult decision coming to which there is only bad solutions. We can't afford continued lockdowns but, in the absence of a vaccine, the only other option is to accept that we allow this virus to kill people and manage it as best we can. I don't envy the politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Lundstram wrote: »
    OMG OMG OMG 200 CASES!

How many deaths, guys? None.

Killer virus indeed.

Not never just not now. It’s this type of lax boo boo poor us for the last 6 months attitude that is causing cases to rise. I tell ya we’ve little tenacity if we can’t accept that and stick to the rules, in fact, we’ll suffer all the longer for it.

And what exactly do you think is going to happen after this timeline? The virus will magically disappear ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

And what exactly do you think is going to happen after this timeline? The virus will magically disappear ?

we manage as best we can until a vaccine comes.

I still think schools will open as planned in most counties. They may hold back Kildare.

NPHET are due to meet next week and discuss children and covid19. They are leaving it a bit late considering schools should be opening in a few weeks.

I can't see how schools can go back. Parents of preschool children and primary school children will make up their own rules and regulations about their own children and colds and viruses and are likely to dismiss colds and send their children off to mix with others. Temperatures can be hidden with calpol and ibuprofen. There might be some hope for secondary school students to go back but I really can't see how social distancing will work there and masks for a 7 hour school day, is jot really going to be the best. It will be hard for both students and teachers.

Edit: I think the only way schools will work is if the government comes down very heavy on the population and if parents knowing sends their children to school with symptoms to make that a punishable offence with large fines.

There was an Australian news piece of two women with the virus. They knew they had the virus and they went out and about. I think they were type of tinkers stealing. They were positive for the virus and they didn't isolate themselves and they knowingly spread it about. The cops came down very heavy on the pair of them. There's nothing to deter people here if they don't want to follow the guidelines or if it inconveniences them.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    Because you don’t get cancer or a heart problem walking into a shop, pub, social setting...

9000 people die a year in Ireland from cancer.

1774 covid deaths so far

behavior such as a meeting can’t give you cancer.

9000 cancer deaths could be 11,000 next year, but social contact won’t influence this.

With covid 1174 deaths could be 100,000, what is preventing this is the majority doing what has been asked of them. Sacrifice and disciple.

Tonight is a covid shîtshow....the biggest single day in upsurges since May, 200 additional cases.

Where are you getting 100,000 potential covid deaths from? Also I love how you dismiss an increase in cancer deaths like it's no big deal.

Well if it doesn’t it’ll take out a lot of the idiots anyways. Likely we’ll have some sort of vaccine or the virus will burn itself out. Till then we have to be safe and smart but I suppose those are virtues idiots don’t possess.

MattS1 wrote: »
    Don't those staff have plastic in front of them, sanitiser and training? Viruses spread by fluids and two of those sources are nose and mouth. Of course covering those areas helps.

The virologists and medical people must be too... generally odd and weird how many anti maskers exist in spite of quite a lot of well publicized evidence to the contrary from experts... it’s weird as fûck.

You can't expect the population of a country that has been used to freedom to lock down indefinitely especially for something that won't have a major effect on most of them. I know that sounds selfish but it's human nature.

We're not programmed for this sort of behaviour (the majority anyway) and the politicians knew that when they locked down originally. It's a short term tactic because people will only endure it for so long.

We get Covid to 0 in this country. What then? It'll always be a threat as long as it's around in other countries. New Zealand have shown that you can take extreme measures and not eradicate it. You either have a vaccine or you have to find a way to live with it and manage it. Locking down indefinitely or intermittently is not a viable option in the long or even medium term.

owlbethere wrote: »
    NPHET are due to meet next week and discuss children and covid19. They are leaving it a bit late considering schools should be opening in a few weeks.

I can't see how schools can go back. Parents of preschool children and primary school children will make up their own rules and regulations about their own children and colds and viruses and are likely to dismiss colds and send their children off to mix with others. Temperatures can be hidden with calpol and ibuprofen. There might be some hope for secondary school students to go back but I really can't see how social distancing will work there and masks for a 7 hour school day, is jot really going to be the best. It will be hard for both students and teachers.
    You genuinely think they'll stop counties with less than 10 daily cases from opening their schools? Nonsense.
    140 cases in Kildare and Dublin, next highest is Tipp with 13. Schools will open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Trampas wrote: »

Plenty of them about. There is a local woman who refuses to wear a mask at the local shop, I don't know her excuse but she is elderly and had no problem walking and hauling her shopping nearly every days from the shop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

In my local spar the other day everyone wearing masks except one loud mouth idiot standing in the middle of the aisle absolutely blaring down his phone. He moved around the shop talking away loudly standing in each aisle. I passed him by the last aisle and said straight out to him he should have a mask on. I don’t care that type of ignorance is what will drag us back to lockdown. We all have a civic duty to follow the rules and for once not be spineless, call out the idiots.

What was his reply to you assuming there was one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

DeanAustin wrote: »
    There's a very, very difficult decision coming to which there is only bad solutions. We can't afford continued lockdowns but, in the absence of a vaccine, the only other option is to accept that we allow this virus to kill people and manage it as best we can. I don't envy the politicians.

Deaths are very low at the moment, 0 again today. There’s almost no-one in hospital. Admissions are minimal, if any as many Covid hospital patients have other conditions also.
    In Ireland on average 90 people die per day...we don’t get daily announcements about it, lockdowns or constant scaremongering.
    I asked the question on the restrictions thread earlier in the week, is there any data out there to suggest the virus is losing its potency? A huge amount of people getting diagnosed currently are asymptomatic / very mild symptoms. They’re only being picked up by close contact tracing + then thrown onto our daily Covid numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Recent study published here comparing mask types in Science Advances - clear benefit:
    https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/08/07/sciadv.abd3083

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Governments are sheep.

Once the Brits and European governments brought in masks we followed.

Can you imagine the reaction if we didn't?

Im pro masks in public but I do wonder are they effective? They dont seem to be stopping casess rising all over Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The whole deal is that once the Genie is out of the Bottle and the Virus is circulating then it will naturally follow its own curve, initially finding those able to least resist it and the more susceptible, many of whom will sadly die with the virus.... the curve will peak and then flatten as the virus takes it course.... Lock people indoors and that breaks up the lifecycle of the virus and once people start to move again the virus has more hosts to infect and the cycle starts again...only difference is now it's weaker and there's almost Zero deaths...

Locking down again will just delay the Viruses lifecycle until there's a cure..

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

Is there any merit in saying the virus is less potent than when it first hit Ireland (i.e. the more people it infects the further it moves from the original strain first introduced via China/Italy?Europe)? Would this explain the low death figures or is that just a case of being more prominent in younger folk at the moment?
    Am not a scientist, just curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

froog wrote: »

Over 6 months. The majority of which had serious underlying issues and were elderly.

Sympathy for them and their families of course but deaths were always going to happen and occur every day for a myriad of reasons.

0 deaths in days and only 14 in hospital in the whole country. Those are the important numbers, not the ever increasing running total that only promotes the hysteria and fear seen in this thread tonight.

People caught a virus that will be of little risk to the vast majority of them. That's what the evidence is showing and that (along with the numbers above) is what matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

So aren't they still having plastic, sanitiser and training? Again, what effect do you expect from this?

On that line in bold...
    Are you running out of arguments so you're trying to ridicule me?

Basically what landofthetree says three posts above this. Once everyone does it they wouldnt have the balls not to do it. And the pressure from media and social media. And its not going to do any damage (hopefully). So give the people what the people want. No conspiracy required. They wouldnt be smart enough for that anyway.

Benimar wrote: »
    Yes, cases in 18 of the 26 counties today.

Ronan Glynns comments show NPHET are genuinely worried now.

I missed the news and briefing if there was one. What did he say?

• Advertisement

Governments are sheep.

Once the Brits and European governments brought in masks we followed.

Can you imagine the reaction if we didn't?

Im pro masks in public but I do wonder are they effective? They dont seem to be stopping casess rising all over Europe.

Why do you wonder if they are effective, virologists and medical people have been advocating their use from the outset .

Without masks you’d see cases and deaths rise.

noserider wrote: »
    Is there any merit in saying the virus is less potent than when it first hit Ireland (i.e. the more people it infects the further it moves from the original strain first introduced via China/Italy?Europe)? Would this explain the low death figures or is that just a case of being more prominent in younger folk at the moment?
    Am not a scientist, just curious.
    According to the O'Briens meat factory only 3 out of 83 staff have shown symptoms. Wouldn't use that as a benchmark obviously but we've heard a lot of that in the last while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Lots of people with chips on their shoulders when it comes to Cork. We can’t help it that we’re all wearing masks and doing so well at the moment.

Rebel County my ar$e!

What was his reply to you assuming there was one?

He took himself to the checkout and got out of the shop right after.

Deaths are very low at the moment, 0 again today. There’s almost no-one in hospital. Admissions are minimal, if any as many Covid hospital patients have other conditions also.
    In Ireland on average 90 people die per day...we don’t get daily announcements about it, lockdowns or constant scaremongering.
    I asked the question on the restrictions thread earlier in the week, is there any data out there to suggest the virus is losing its potency? A huge amount of people getting diagnosed currently are asymptomatic / very mild symptoms. They’re only being picked up by close contact tracing + then thrown onto our daily Covid numbers.

That's a fair point but I think if you lift restrictions and learn to live with it, you will see an increase in deaths. I'm not advocating continued lockdowns. In fact, I'm erring more on the side of a re-opening of society. But it'd be foolish to think that doesn't come with the increased risk and the likelihood of deaths.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement