Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Posted this on reddit the other day but it might be useful here as well, just so people know what it looks like if you get a close contact warning through the app.

Notification

App

Also if you dig into the settings and check the Exposure Checks (Settings > Search for "COVID" > COVID-19 Exposure Notifications > COVID-19 Exposure Logging > Exposure Checks) you can see if any of them have a number larger than zero beside "Matched Keys".

Thanks for that, interesting to see what it (warning from the application) looks like - hopefully won't see the real thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

screamer wrote: »
    Well if it doesn’t it’ll take out a lot of the idiots anyways. Likely we’ll have some sort of vaccine or the virus will burn itself out. Till then we have to be safe and smart but I suppose those are virtues idiots don’t possess.
    Yeah a lot of healthcare professionals must be idiots to have gotten this.

What a terrible thing to say from your position, sitting on your ass somewhere it can't get you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Deaths are very low at the moment, 0 again today. There’s almost no-one in hospital. Admissions are minimal, if any as many Covid hospital patients have other conditions also.
    In Ireland on average 90 people die per day...we don’t get daily announcements about it, lockdowns or constant scaremongering.
    I asked the question on the restrictions thread earlier in the week, is there any data out there to suggest the virus is losing its potency? A huge amount of people getting diagnosed currently are asymptomatic / very mild symptoms. They’re only being picked up by close contact tracing + then thrown onto our daily Covid numbers.

I brought up the 90 deaths a day myself and I was told essentially that non covid deaths matter less. Priorities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

s1ippy wrote: »

What a terrible thing to say from your position, sitting on your ass somewhere it can't get you.

I’m not talking about healthcare workers so feck off with your whatabouttery. I’m talking about joe public who couldn’t be bothered to maintain social distancing or adhere to the rules when covid19 is actively circulating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

You genuinely think they'll stop counties with less than 10 daily cases from opening their schools? Nonsense.
    140 cases in Kildare and Dublin, next highest is Tipp with 13. Schools will open.

Counties with less than 10 daily cases can grow into more cases. Especially now with complacency has set into a lot of the population.

The only way that schools and evens pubs reopening is if the government comes down heavy on the population. Large fines for people who don't isolate themselves if they have a cold or they have respiratory symptoms like cough.

s1ippy wrote: »

I would genuinely love to know who some lads here think they are. Branding Oxford professors of virology ****wits, some were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I've lost the post where I saw it, but the (don't worry it's only) clusters are less than 50% now, right? So there's a big chunk of community transmission and travel related cases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

We crossed 700,000 tests today by the way - good landmark to reach. 143,000 tests per million places us above Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Them numbers are nothing short of a disaster. So many mistakes to get us to this point.

Ficheall wrote: »
    I've lost the post where I saw it, but the (don't worry it's only) clusters are less than 50% now, right? So there's a big chunk of community transmission and travel related cases?
    Not clusters, outbreaks. Outbreaks are large clusters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Over 6 months. The majority of which had serious underlying issues and were elderly.

Sympathy for them and their families of course but deaths were always going to happen and occur every day for a myriad of reasons.

0 deaths in days and only 14 in hospital in the whole country. Those are the important numbers, not the ever increasing running total that only promotes the hysteria and fear seen in this thread tonight.

People caught a virus that will be of little risk to the vast majority of them. That's what the evidence is showing and that (along with the numbers above) is what matters.

Plus that number is quite doubtful. Died with COVID, suspected COVID. And could have been 1000 less had we not fkd up with the nursing homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Over 6 months. The majority of which had serious underlying issues and were elderly.

Sympathy for them and their families of course but deaths were always going to happen and occur every day for a myriad of reasons.

0 deaths in days and only 14 in hospital in the whole country. Those are the important numbers, not the ever increasing running total that only promotes the hysteria and fear seen in this thread tonight.

People caught a virus that will be of little risk to the vast majority of them. That's what the evidence is showing and that (along with the numbers above) is what matters.

you still don't get it. right now younger people are getting it. and it is much less dangerous for them. but the more this thing spreads, the greater the chance they pass it to older or high risk people and then we see start seeing the deaths. you remember what happened in the nursing homes yes?

Completely missed this - the electoral region cases map was updated 12th August!
    https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,285 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Well if it doesn’t it’ll take out a lot of the idiots anyways. Likely we’ll have some sort of vaccine or the virus will burn itself out. Till then we have to be safe and smart but I suppose those are virtues idiots don’t possess.

A crass comment considering all those who have been extremely ill due to this.
    The healthcare workers I know who contracted the virus were, I can assure you, no idiots.

froog wrote: »
    you still don't get it. right now younger people are getting it. and it is much less dangerous for them. but the more this thing spreads, the greater the chance they pass it to older or high risk people and then we see start seeing the deaths. you remember what happened in the nursing homes yes?

But also the more people get it the less it can spread as it runs out of new hosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

i'm sure they'll move the goalposts again. maybe ignore a few more counties or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Checking in after dinner.

tumblr_lkqm0enAZt1qh59n0o1_500.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I’m not talking about healthcare workers so feck off with your whatabouttery. I’m talking about joe public who couldn’t be bothered to maintain social distancing or adhere to the rules when covid19 is actively circulating.
    Look nobody deserves to get sick. Some people will make mistakes and others will be careless and there's always the odd windowlicker in every group but anyone with an iota of compassion will be able to leave blame out of it.

Next thing you could be one of the "idiot"s that get it and you'll be hoping people aren't casting aspersions so callously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,625 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    I hate to break it to you but not having bowel screen, cervical and breast check running has only increased the problem. Or by the sounds of your Blaise attitude is that acceptable?

You are minimizing the largest public health crisis in a generation with false equivalency and nonsensical rambling but you are calling me "Blaise".

Cool.

Also you should read up on screening, unfortunately it is not the magic bullet the "it's just flu bro" cohort would you lead you to believe.

• Advertisement

Here's your link:
    Almost half of new Covid-19 cases in Ireland last week linked to workplace outbreaks

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/almost-half-new-covid-19-22522135

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Strumms wrote: »
    Why do you wonder if they are effective, virologists and medical people have been advocating their use from the outset .

Without masks you’d see cases and deaths rise.

Some have. Some havent.
    The advice in Ireland at the start was not to bother with them.

https://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/38343-hse-advice-remains-the-same-little-value-in-masks-unless-you-are-ill-or-in-a-medical-setting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

So aren't they still having plastic, sanitiser and training? Again, what effect do you expect from this?

On that line in bold...
    Are you running out of arguments so you're trying to ridicule me?

Basically what Strumms says two posts below me. Once everyone does it they wouldnt have the balls not to do it. And the pressure from media and social media. And its not going to do any damage (hopefully). So give the people what the people want. No conspiracy required. They wouldnt be smart enough for that anyway.

That they aren't getting the virus. So your point is null.

So why do you think all guidance globally has been to wear a mask in addition to the common sense that blocking your mouth and nose obviously stops a certain amount of fluids?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,666 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    I brought up the 90 deaths a day myself and I was told essentially that non covid deaths matter less. Priorities.

Who said that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,236 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Oranage2 wrote: »
    The drug manufacturing industry love obesity and unhealthy diets.

You've high blood pressure? Take blood pressure pills

You're fat? Take some weight loss pills

You've diabetes? Take some of these pills etc

They're certainly not advertising good health can lessen the effects

The drug industry would be interested in selling drugs...yes .
    Just like the alcohol industry will sell alcohol .
    And the tobacco industry tried to tell everybody that smoking was good for you back in the day ..and guess what , some are trying to say that smoking prevents Covid now !
    I think we know that salesmen will try to sell.

You go to a doctor or nurse for help with with high blood pressure , diabetes or obesity, you will not be sent away with pills , unless there is no other way .
    You will however be given instructions to go on a diet and ,use weight , take exercise, cut out salt and fats , perform relaxation and mindfulness techniques etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Here are the numbers for community transmission and close contact / outbreaks since they started publishing at the start of the month. There is none for travel.

523084.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Benimar wrote:
    Yes, cases in 18 of the 26 counties today.

10 of the 11 councils in the north had cases today too.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Arghus wrote: »
    Loads I'm sure.

I distinctly remember a few weeks back certain posters saying they wouldn't get concerned as long as the daily case numbers stayed under 25/30 a day.

The new normal has shifted :D

Mask deniers are in full swing here. I dont see that change. For them wearing mask is the reason in increase :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Anyone on here from Kildare able to comment on mask compliance? Genuinely interested in if people actually wear masks in the areas we're seeing biggest increases.
    I only say that because in Cork we're seeing low numbers with high compliance.
    road_high wrote: »
    People really losing their heads here. Calm down. Wearing masks simply because you’re outside is stupid and makes no sense. Think rationally for gods sake instead of jumping off the next available cliff.
    Masks have done flip all to kerb the latest spike.
    road_high wrote: »
    Not from Kildare but neighbouring county and often in Kildare since masks came in. Compliance as high as anywhere else really. Zilch to do with masks or not in my opinion. This is in people’s homes and workplaces
    Lots of people with chips on their shoulders when it comes to Cork. We can’t help it that we’re all wearing masks and doing so well at the moment.
    For the umpteenth time so. Empirical evidence.

No spread in supermarkets, virtually no staff infected. All through March, April, May, June, July. With no masks. With hundreds if not thousands of customers coming through every day. Staff handling their goods and cash. Talking to and interacting with them. Staff stocking the shelves amongst the customers. All with no masks.

So we masks mandatory in supermarkets.

Expecting what effect from this exactly?
    Governments are sheep.

Once the Brits and European governments brought in masks we followed.

Can you imagine the reaction if we didn't?

Im pro masks in public but I do wonder are they effective? They dont seem to be stopping casess rising all over Europe.

Like most, I'm wearing masks because they are mandatory. I think they may be of use in crowded public transport where you can't do sweet feck all about people sniffling and coughing beside you for an hour, and other confined spaces for a significant amount of time, but outside that I think it's a big big mistake to attribute low cases in certain areas to mask compliance.

Only a couple of months back we had feck all community transmission and practically zero cases in supermarkets (and I don't buy into the counter argument that there were less people shopping in them, not significantly less and it's easy to distance in a supermarket).

No doubt whatsoever that a mask will help if you're unlucky enough to be sneezed or coughed on, but let's face it, that doesn't happen that much. And wandering around Tesco doesn't put you in the frontline of a heavy viral load or, as the Govt. still states, close contact for 15 minutes.

So imo, having a qualification to give uneducated opinions on Covid transmission, the increase in community transmission has nothing to do with lower mask compliance in those areas. And as others have pointed out, mask compliance is pretty high everywhere anyway.

I know I'll be flamed for my opinion, but if masks disappeared tomorrow from easy to distance retail spaces, I don't think it would impact cases that much.

Cases are coming from workers in close proximity to each other (who should wear masks if that's the case) and in certain accomodation types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Ships are not enforcing masks for fear of upsetting their customers and losing business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I'm clinging to the idea that it has lost potency. So many asymptomatic cases.

You'd really have to wonder how many people have/had it altogether. It's obviously much more prevalent than we know. This has to be a good thing?

• Advertisement

MattS1 wrote: »
    That they aren't getting the virus. So your point is null.

You have to explain this one to me.

They already weren't getting the virus. So now they're REALLY not getting it. Is it that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

You'd really have to wonder how many people have/had it altogether. It's obviously much more prevalent than we know. This has to be a good thing?

I’d like to agree but why would it lose potency?

If there’s no significant rise in admissions two to three weeks from now we can assume this is true. I don’t buy the whole “its only young people getting infected” malarky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Yeah i am surprised there isn't more being asked about this

Van.Bosch wrote: »

Viruses adapt, its not in its interests to kill us, as it then dies itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I think it’s a case of the elderly looking after themselves and doing everything they can not to catch it.
    However it won’t take long before their children/grandchildren to infect them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Im going to say first of all that I'm not a scientist and don't claim to know much if anything about viruses. But from what I've read they can often mutate in order to be more transmissible, when they mutate they often lose their potency.

That's the reason why the likes of ebola will never cause a pandemic, it kills its host before it has a chance to spread it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,872 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My mother having to babysit my father again.. he wants to go to church to get confession... our local parish have dispensed for now with using confession boxes, instead it’s in a large conference room at the back of the church, you go, say your piece, get ‘absolved’ whatever the fûck.

He dislikes the idea and is humming and hawing about going to another church where the traditional confession is happening. So he will gointo a tiny poorly ventilated, poorly lit booth where probably 30 people have been in there in front of him, unknown what if any disinfection / sanitizer protocols are in use, yes, brilliant fûcking idea...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It seems to my untrained eye that it has surged all over Europe at almost precisely the same time. There does appear to be a marginal increase in hospitalisations, but not the rush thats been expected.

Could there have been a mutation to a more potent but less lethal form? It all seems too much of a coincidence to me, and I can't explain (in my untrained way) why its all happened seemingly at once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

You have to explain this one to me.

They already weren't getting the virus. So now they're REALLY not getting it. Is it that?

The poster said masks were not useful as supermarket workers have not got it. I wrote off this incorrect logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Gael23 wrote: »
    Ships are not enforcing masks for fear of upsetting their customers and losing business

You’d hardly need a mask in nice fresh sea air surely?

Boggles wrote: »
    You are minimizing the largest public health crisis in a generation with false equivalency and nonsensical rambling but you are calling me "Blaise".

Cool.

Also you should read up on screening, unfortunately it is not the magic bullet the "it's just flu bro" cohort would you lead you to believe.

Yeah one typo demolished my argument. So breast check and other cancer screenings are all for the craic? What's your authority on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Some of it could be the viral load argument i.e. as we are keeping distance, wearing masks etc. you are exposed to less of it, so are affected less. The swiss army study somebody mentioned a while back, and the fact healthcare workers are more frequently affected could back this up. So if you do catch it from a 2m distance or whatever it is less potent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

An Italian doctor/consultant said it a while back but others disagreed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN2370OQ

MattS1 wrote: »
    The poster said masks were not useful as supermarket workers have not got it. I wrote off this incorrect logic.

That poster was me. And how is it incorrect logic? They weren't getting it. Now they wear masks. Presumably still not getting it. Question I was asking was what is the mask effect then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,236 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

polesheep wrote: »
    Not necessarily. If it's a case that the virus is having less of an effect now on those infected, then it's all positive.

It shows there is a greater amount testing positive in the community, just that those tested are not sick
    Testing is now showing up the asymptomatic who would not have tested in March April. Young and healthy mostly so less virulent infection for them.
    Just as bad for others but those particularly vulnerable are benefiting from the measures like social distancing and handwashing , and testing tracing and u.timately isolation of these clusters...now that is all positive !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Each time a Virus makes a copy of itself and they do in the millions, gives a greater chance of bad copies being made, so as it jumps from host to host it gets weaker and eventually most people won't know they have it or die with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,872 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I know I'll be flamed for my opinion, but if masks disappeared tomorrow from easy to distance retail spaces, I don't think it would impact cases that much.

Most retail spaces meet this criterial.

I was in a hardware store today that would be considered ‘easy to distance’...problem is, the facility might enable distancing, but distancing itself is down to individuals... 100% of people cannot be trusted or will just make an error, masks are required, simply needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,285 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Gael23 wrote: »

I assume you meant shops. In which case maybe you should say some shops. Every shop, bar one, I have been to has insisted on masks and refuse entry without them. The one that allowed people without masks has lost custom as some people will no longer go to them because of the lax protocols.

• Advertisement

An Italian doctor/consultant said it a while back but others disagreed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN2370OQ

Remember reading that exact article

It does seem to be a trend with previous deaths being denotified and a surge in cases not leading to a surge in hospitalisation/deaths

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement