Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,625 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I understand. Maybe sometimes our hospital figures are so good it has lulled me into a false sense of security.

And they are so good because of the measures undertaken.

Exactly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Wild Field 1831

If this is the case, and this is a genuine question, why are hospitalisations not moving? Literally no increase despite a 'younger' infected group.

You can be very sick, as in not have the energy to shave yourself, and not be in hospital.

I'd imagine it's a small minority have lingering problems. But as case numbers rise it could be a significant number.

In the US a lot of older people must still be getting the virus. Average 1,300 deaths and the April figure was around 2,200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

is_that_so wrote: »
    Pretty sure they use March as the date for us. It did come up a few times and the CMO used that date.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0311/1121526-harris-covid-19/

Indeed - but to say otherwise would support the view that public health doctors were doing their job before then.

When people who took the flu vaccine had a viral infection were tests done to figure out what it was? No. That was the case for many in November and December. Ireland was not alone on this but they will need to up their game in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

So we don't need to worry about hospitals?

Not now, no. I have already said a few weeks ago Im not overly concerned now. We have low numbers, maybe a tenth or much less than when it was bad. And the older more vulnerable people are in effect maintaining some level of cocooning. Test and trace is moderately good and elastic. There is just much less virus about, and much more preparedness.
    It can change however. So I am in observing mode rather than dismissal mode.
    Right now I see it as a stone skipped along the bottom of a graph. Maybe we can keep control. Maybe we can not. I don't know the future. But we have been reasonably grown up dealing with this as a country, which is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

That's the problem with experts and I suppose most of us..we think we know it all!! Now and again we're given reminders that no matter how great our intellect, we're not infallible.

Yeah we can all get so many things so wrong and there is no way to know what to do. I would hazard a guess that schools will propagate the next wave in an exponential fashion. I'm no expert but I do like to play spot the difference.

https://twitter.com/EqualPayforNQTs/status/1294685503527288832?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Which clearly assumes there is behaviour that needs modifying. Giving details to "you lot in Ballybay" is really not good public health practice and is condoning that blame game so many seem to favour.

Of course there is, if I know there are no cases in my town, my behavour will be different than if I know that there were 20 in the last week. I'm not blaming myself for my behavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Which clearly assumes there is behaviour that needs modifying. Giving details to "you lot in Ballybay" is really not good public health practice and is condoning that blame game so many seem to favour.

Of course there is, if I know there are no cases in my town, my behavour will be different than if I know that there were 20 in the last week. I'm not blaming myself for my behavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Does anyone know how many deaths there's been since the start of June? Not including the 9 cases that happened in April and were announced a few weeks back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Reminder the electoral map has been updated, check your towns for new cases

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

No new cases in my area and its neighbouring towns compared to the last version of the map

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭spookwoman

El Sueño wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many deaths there's been since the start of June? Not including the 9 cases that happened in April and were announced a few weeks back.

150 if you remove the 9. Don't know when the deaths for the denotifications happened

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Good read, important to remember why restrictions are in place. Theories about T cells and cross immunity have no evidence as of yet and are highly unlikely to be in anyway true. The alternative of letting this virus transmit freely will not end well.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-08-11/san-quentin-coronavirus-herd-immunity-covid-19

New study regarding the transmission from children to other members of household.
    It finds that the likelihood of transmission from a child to another household member is 1 in 200, or 0.5%.
    https://adc.bmj.com/content/early/2020/08/06/archdischild-2020-319910

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

No new cases in my area and its neighbouring towns compared to the last version of the map

Might be a stupid question is there a previous version available?

Never took note of cases in my area before, only just looked at it so can't tell if there's more now

Might be a stupid question is there a previous version available?

Never took note of cases in my area before, only just looked at it so can't tell if there's more now

There is not - I took note of my area

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

There is not - I took note of my area

Yeah I was wondering alright.

Looking at it I dont think the numbers are much different in my area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭stevek93

Mass gathering out the neighbours back garden tonight music blaring.. If one of them have the virus they are all fecked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

We need to live with this and not panic lockdown

Thag comes to personal responsibility which the government won't trust us with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,665 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Dublin very in the red but it has / had most cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,944 ✭✭✭growleaves

wadacrack wrote: »
    Good read, important to remember why restrictions are in place. Theories about T cells and cross immunity have no evidence as of yet and are highly unlikely to be in anyway true. The alternative of letting this virus transmit freely will not end well.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-08-11/san-quentin-coronavirus-herd-immunity-covid-19

The restrictions are also theoretical, and there is no likelihood of their being true as such. Caution, public spiritedness, "I trust the experts", political leaders have no reason to do it otherwise etc., etc. are not pieces of scientific evidence in favour of these theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

New study regarding the transmission from children to other members of household.
    It finds that the likelihood of transmission from a child to another household member is 1 in 200, or 0.5%.

107 infected children tested..

Hardly anything to be drawing conclusions from when you've a number of other factors that come into play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

PTH2009 wrote: »
    We need to live with this and not panic lockdown

Thag comes to personal responsibility which the government won't trust us with
    Can you blame them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

spookwoman wrote: »
    150 if you remove the 9. Don't know when the deaths for the denotifications happened

Much less than that. Dr Glynn said last week that almost all of the recently announced deaths are historic ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Can I just ask something quickly...
    Don’t know if it belongs in work issues thread or here, but seeing as my issue is with Covid, I’ll post it here.
    For workers that are using a fingerprint clock in system for work, myself included...
    Our company uses this method and they’ve instructions printed clearly above, use wipes and sanitisers provided (and both these things are there for our use)... but I’ve seen only about 60-ish% complying with this - some are using it as normal before this virus started (and are of the belief, ‘we can’t give it to ourselves sure’ )

I’m really not comfortable continuing to use this, especially with the cases numbers rising again now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Much less than that. Dr Glynn said last week that almost all of the recently announced deaths are historic ones.

Whats classed as historic, 2 weeks, a month, 2 months?

In the context of isolating and quarantine, as opposed to everyone in a class catching it and bringing it home to unsuspecting households.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

There should have been a hard lockdown from the beginning.
    All alcohol fuelled house parties should have been stopped and fines issued to those holdings illegal gatherings. We can eliminate this virus if all and not just a few take it seriously. We need children back to school and people to stop walking around like Covid doesn’t exist. I know of people who are young in their 40s and have no health issues and because of Covid they have breathing and heart problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Lisa2011 wrote: »
    There should have been a hard lockdown from the beginning.
    All alcohol fuelled house parties should have been stopped and fines issued to those holdings illegal gatherings. We can eliminate this virus if all and not just a few take it seriously. We need children back to school and people to stop walking around like Covid doesn’t exist. I know of people who are young in their 40s and have no health issues and because of Covid they have breathing and heart problems.

Do you mind me asking how do you stop house parties?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

It says the likelihood of transmission from children to adults is 1 in 200. Why is this, I wonder?

I wonder would it have anything to do with children and their height? They are not towering above adults in their height and size therefore if they are expelling virus through cough or sneeze, droplets are falling quicker to the floor and they are not kind of face to face with adults, for the most part. Smaller children and children with needs would require close contact with adults and help from adults. Maybe they might spread more due to close contact for their care.

John Campbell, YouTube, he had a piece the other day and he said preschoolers have a higher viral load.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Just checked cases in my area and it says glencullen has a population of 19 thousand and cases 122 which is very high compared to other areas I know 1 person on glencullen that had it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,285 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

twirlagig wrote: »
    Can I just ask something quickly...
    Don’t know if it belongs in work issues thread or here, but seeing as my issue is with Covid, I’ll post it here.
    For workers that are using a fingerprint clock in system for work, myself included...
    Our company uses this method and they’ve instructions printed clearly above, use wipes and sanitisers provided (and both these things are there for our use)... but I’ve seen only about 60-ish% complying with this - some are using it as normal before this virus started (and are of the belief, ‘we can’t give it to ourselves sure’ )

I’m really not comfortable continuing to use this, especially with the cases numbers rising again now.

Wipe it before you use it and it's fine. Wipe it after you use it and others will be protected from you. It's not rocket science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Cases are coming from workers in close proximity to each other (who should wear masks if that's the case) and in certain accomodation types.
    It spreads very fast in those environments, but then it gets into the community. We know of cases in sports clubs, house parties etc.

I don't like masks. It doesn't kill me to wear one. I wish people would stop moaning about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Whats classed as historic, 2 weeks, a month, 2 months?

A mixture of all of that, people have up to 3 months to notify a death.
    Very few if any are happening in hospitals or nursing homes so they are not registered the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

catrat12 wrote: »
    Just checked cases in my area and it says glencullen has a population of 19 thousand and cases 122 which is very high compared to other areas I know 1 person on glencullen that had it
    If you're talking about the Glencullen electoral district that includes a lot more populated areas back towards Sandyford direction.

Ficheall wrote: »
    In the context of isolating and quarantine, as opposed to everyone in a class catching it and bringing it home to unsuspecting households.
    = kids should be tested if they're ill and isolate, just like everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭ax530

Is part of the problem due to Leo letting things open earlier than planned then the big drive on encouraging people to go on holiday in Ireland.
    It's very hard too learn how to live with virus. I've a child who is really looking forward to school went to get uniform today kept trip to shops to a minimum now see numbers this evening I'm all stressed about how big a risk I took to go shops.
    Guess if a kid sneezes or coughs teacher will send them home for test... Feeling the children will be terrified with this seeing who is taken out each day, worried about clearing throat ect sure lots of other 'living with the virus stresses'
    Wonder would some randomised testing be any use? Contact X random app users every day for a test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Can you blame them?

I knw there looking out for our best interests but they need to think of the economy and mental health

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Wipe it before you use it and it's fine. Wipe it after yo use it and others will be protected from you. It's not rocket science.

Even if you didn't wipe it before you use it, once you wash your hands afterwards before touching your face you should be ok.

One hundred percent.

Though I can understand both sides on the sniffles mentioned yesterday.

One hundred percent.

Though I can understand both sides on the sniffles mentioned yesterday.
    I did too but there's a way bigger picture here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Is it that many? That's an average of 2 deaths per day, didn't think it was as high as that

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

hmmm wrote: »
    If you're talking about the Glencullen electoral district that includes a lot more populated areas back towards Sandyford direction.

Oh I see thank you

ax530 wrote: »
    Is part of the problem due to Leo letting things open earlier than planned then the big drive on encouraging people to go on holiday in Ireland.
    It's very hard too learn how to live with virus. I've a child who is really looking forward to school went to get uniform today kept trip to shops to a minimum now see numbers this evening I'm all stressed about how big a risk I took to go shops.
    Guess if a kid sneezes or coughs teacher will send them home for test... Feeling the children will be terrified with this seeing who is taken out each day, worried about clearing throat ect sure lots of other 'living with the virus stresses'
    Wonder would some randomised testing be any use? Contact X random app users every day for a test.

Sneezing isn't even a symptom of covid.

Freaking out about someone clearing their throat would be an overreaction for sure.

Are people that incapable of holding their nerve?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

seanb85 wrote: »
    Does anybody know what doctors are prescribing (if anything) to those not in hospital? Corticosteroids or something?

Definitely not steroids.

The Recovery trial showed that dexamethasone reduced deaths only for hospitalised patients on oxygen.

It increased deaths slightly for hospitalised patients not on oxygen.

If anyone is thinking of self-prescribing steroids for Covid - DON'T.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jesso22

Do you mind me asking how do you stop house parties?

Ban the sale of alcohol 👹

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Unfortunately, kids can't articulate their feelings like us and although alarm bell symptoms like a high temperature will give us a warning, a child won't tell you when their sense of smell has changed.

• Advertisement

jesso22 wrote: »
    Ban the sale of alcohol 👹

Please give me enough advance notice to start work on distilling consignments of bathtub gin. Thanks.

road_high wrote: »
    Well the Inverse is true too then,,.and cases have risen since blessed masks came in too...I’ve not seen any peer reviewed studies showing the benefits of masks to stop Covid 19...but yea, they’re just amazing.
    They’re like some kind of rosary beads people clutch onto the vain hope they’re “stopping Covid 19”.

Masks have been proven to be effective over 100 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,871 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

School will be some challenge. I don’t envision the classroom itself being too bad. Breaks, access and egress from classes and the school yes certainly.

Outside the school too, on the way home needs to be factored in. Ok I’m not a parent but I’m saying to my kid... ok, I’m buying you a bike if they haven’t got one, and after school, say goodbyes and home... tough, uncomfortable but for a while it’s lined up like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,871 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

jesso22 wrote: »
    Ban the sale of alcohol ��

Imagine the vintners :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭seanb85

Definitely not steroids.

The Recovery trial showed that dexamethasone reduced deaths only for hospitalised patients on oxygen.

It increased deaths slightly for hospitalised patients not on oxygen.

If anyone is thinking of self-prescribing steroids for Covid - DON'T.

You'd wonder if there is an existing drug that would reduce the likelihood of hospitalisation. Hopefully some trials will figure that out.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement