Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,494 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Masks have been proven to be effective over 100 years ago

Seen as we haven’t had Covid 19 for over 100 years I find that unlikely (it was Covid 19 and in certain circumstances I was originally referring to). But masks are scared and we mustn’t question their efficacy in every scatter gun scenario or usage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

road_high wrote: »
    Seen as we haven’t had Covid 19 for over 100 years I find that unlikely (it was Covid 19 and in certain circumstances I was originally referring to). But masks are scared and we mustn’t question their efficacy in every scatter gun scenario or usage
    How do you know that without masks the numbers would not be in their thousands by now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,665 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

PTH2009 wrote: »
    We need to live with this and not panic lockdown

Thag comes to personal responsibility which the government won't trust us with

Did RG say lockdown likely if cases high?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

The tourism minister that resigned there for going on holidays to Italy is a prime example of everything wrong with this country. The rich and powerful set the rules, delude the sheep to follow them, and then have a laugh doing whatever they want above the rules.

We are absolute fools to allow this. Absolute fools. Protest, march and boycott everything until you root out all this rot.

An absolute spit in the face of the voters in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭seanb85

It's people that are scared of masks that are the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

HSE Daily Operations Update

16 in hospital, increase of 2.
    4 confirmed cases today - 2 in Connolly, 1 in Kilkenny and 1 in UHL.
    8 in ICU and 5 ventilated, no change.
    Reminder there's very little discharges at the weekend.

Hospitals:
    Cavan (--) - 2
    Connolly (--) - 2
    Kilkenny (+1) - 2
    Mater (--) - 2
    Naas (+1) - 2
    Tallaght (--) - 2
    UHL (--) - 2
    Beaumont (--) - 1
    Mullingar (--) - 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

The_Brood wrote: »
    The tourism minister that resigned there for going on holidays to Italy is a prime example of everything wrong with this country. The rich and powerful set the rules, delude the sheep to follow them, and then have a laugh doing whatever they want above the rules.

We are absolute fools to allow this. Absolute fools. Protest, march and boycott everything until you root out all this rot.

An absolute spit in the face of the voters in this country.

He was the chairman of Failte Ireland. not a politician. research your rage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

twirlagig wrote: »
    Can I just ask something quickly...
    Don’t know if it belongs in work issues thread or here, but seeing as my issue is with Covid, I’ll post it here.
    For workers that are using a fingerprint clock in system for work, myself included...
    Our company uses this method and they’ve instructions printed clearly above, use wipes and sanitisers provided (and both these things are there for our use)... but I’ve seen only about 60-ish% complying with this - some are using it as normal before this virus started (and are of the belief, ‘we can’t give it to ourselves sure’ )

I’m really not comfortable continuing to use this, especially with the cases numbers rising again now.

Lets say there was a virus on it, its not going to infect you through the skin of your fingertip. Just use a sani wipe after or wash your hands. No biggie really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

HSE Daily Operations Update

16 in hospital, increase of 2.
    4 confirmed cases today - 2 in Connolly, 1 in Kilkenny and 1 in UHL.
    8 in ICU and 5 ventilated, no change.

Hospitals:
    Cavan (--) - 2
    Connolly (--) - 2
    Kilkenny (+1) - 2
    Mater (--) - 2
    Naas (+1) - 2
    Tallaght (--) - 2
    UHL (--) - 2
    Beaumont (--) - 1
    Mullingar (--) - 1

16 isn’t bad and especially when like you’ve said before hardly and discharges at weekends.
    I’ve been on holidays since yesterday in Sligo and I can say it’s been refreshing. Here now in the hotel bar, a man with his guitar playing good tunes and only residence aloud. All tables 2 metres apart staff wearing masks/visors. You can get table service or order in a queue for your drink.
    Only gripe is they don’t seem to want to set up a tab or charge to the room which I find strange. My only thinking behind it that it might stop people getting langers

Edit: I’m not spell checking. I’m after too many rockshores :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Same upper class ilk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Lets say there was a virus on it, its not going to infect you through the skin of your fingertip. Just use a sani wipe after or wash your hands. No biggie really.

They'd be sound to take it out of the equation and trust their workers but cleaning hands properly after will remove any infection risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I read in another thread here that we had 25 cases of community transmissions from todays cases. That is very worrying indeed. It was in the news yesterday that we had 6 cases of community transmissions approximately a week ago, we had 12 the other day, 16 yesterday and now today we have 25 community transmission cases. That's is a worrying increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Again nothing to do with Cork or masks. More that it’s a relatively isolated geographical position in the country and hasn’t had clusters like Kildare. Nothing to do with your imagined efforts or virtues. Pure chance really.

Yes, not doing as well as Kerry or Waterford. Got really lucky with that Fermoy outbreak a while back too.

I'm from Cork btw.

owlbethere wrote: »
    I read in another thread here that we had 25 cases of community transmissions from todays cases. That is very worrying indeed. It was in the news yesterday that we had 6 cases of community transmissions approximately a week ago, we had 12 the other day, 16 yesterday and now today we have 25 community transmission cases. That's is a worrying increase.

That 25 out of 200 is still only 12.5% community transmission. Well below what the average actually is

So 200 odd cases today, are we still doing well or what?

I remember a certain positive spinner on this thread telling me I was mad predicting 100+ cases countrywide only less than a month ago.

That busy regurgitating someone else's statistical work that they've forgotten how this virus works and through their own positive blindness, they've misinformed numbers of others on this thread.

We'll be at 400-500 very soon and they'll still be preaching the same ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

i wish they would tell us where the community transmissions are. Surely, it would only help with the relevant counties being extra vigilant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

How do they know those cases are community transmission of a huge chunk of cases aren’t classified yet? Surely the community transmission could be close contact cases when they finish assessing the rest?

Santy2015 wrote: »
    That 25 out of 200 is still only 12.5% community transmission. Well below what the average actually is

The number of cases still under investigation is jumping sharply too though. That happened in March and many were later reclassified as community transmission.

Second lockdown likely IMO. :(

There won't be another national lockdown, we wouldn't be able to afford it. Its every man/woman for themselves now unfortunately.

And people will have to get back to school and work and protect themselves as best they can. Masks, distancing, ventilation, hand washing etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

jesso22 wrote: »
    Ban the sale of alcohol 👹

I believe America tried that years ago and failed miserably. Somehow I don't think we would be successful when a country with vast resources couldn't.

Happy4all wrote: »
    i wish they would tell us where the community transmissions are. Surely, it would only help with the relevant counties being extra vigilant.

This would go a long way into helping us get through this for sure. Like if the community transmissions is occurring near the clusters or if they are cropping up elsewhere around the country.

There won't be another national lockdown, we wouldn't be able to afford it. Its every man/woman for themselves now unfortunately.

And people will have to get back to school and work and protect themselves as best they can. Masks, distancing, ventilation, hand washing etc.

I'd agree there won't be the same kind of lockdown but they really need to get a proper plan in place for schools. A huge amount of it is do this "if possible". That's just inept, lazy and negligent.

The virus is being handed a massive opportunity for increased spread in a few weeks and the proposed mitigation measures are pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jesso22

I believe America tried that years ago and failed miserably. Somehow I don't think we would be successful when a country with vast resources couldn't.

Probably not ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Was out for dinner tonight, first time since February - rural pub/restaurant. It was busy but well spaced out, everything as it should be. The Gardai arrived in for a visit at 9pm.

I can’t figure out how the same level of enforcement isn’t evident in other places where the rules are being pushed to the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Longing

PTH2009 wrote: »
    We need to live with this and not panic lockdown

Thag comes to personal responsibility which the government won't trust us with

Personal responsibility is out the window. Today I had to travel through 4 counties two of which were in the North and two in the south. I stopped in one county north and south in a supermarket. In Co Down everybody was wearing a mask but more to the point the were always trying to abide by the two meter rule.

Called into a supermarket in Co Monaghan. My God! Night and day difference I fcuk you not. My wife is easy going women. But in this supermarket we were the only one's wearing a mask the two meter rule was like 2 inch's. It was like the twilight zone a different dimension like they virus didn't exist. After 5 mins my wife was so angry she walked out.

Unless they people in power in this country start putting money were there mouth is concerning social adherence well we are up sh*te creek.

Community transmissions numbers today should ring alarm bells load and clear in government buildings. Don't take me up wrong not saying we should lockdown the country, But there needs to be a firm action taking for places like I was today.

• Advertisement

GooglePlus wrote: »

I remember a certain positive spinner on this thread telling me I was mad predicting 100+ cases countrywide only less than a month ago.

That busy regurgitating someone else's statistical work that they've forgotten how this virus works and through their own positive blindness, they've misinformed numbers of others on this thread.

You can refer to me by my name and not spinner, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

This would go a long way into helping us get through this for sure. Like if the community transmissions is occurring near the clusters or if they are cropping up elsewhere around the country.

I can see the need for that and I agree. Conversely the health authorities may feel that it would lead to complacency - if people saw little CT in their area they would get sloppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Reminder the electoral map has been updated, check your towns for new cases

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

No new cases in my area and its neighbouring towns compared to the last version of the map

Is the last version of the map still available online?

I see already answered, ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

GooglePlus wrote: »

You're buying into the casedemic hysteria, how many deaths has there been over the last 4 weeks? 12

How many people are in ICUs less than 10.

But, keep spreading panic and fear it's no longer a pandemic it's now a casedemic.

The main tourism body in Ireland promoting staycation but the head of it vacates in Italy, I know now Cawley has resigned, but does he still get a big payout benefits pension etc., ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,285 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The_Brood wrote: »
    Same upper class ilk.

So it's his class, social standing or wealth that offend you, rather than his actions?

You can refer to me by my name and not spinner, cheers.

King ACE ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I think there should have been a hard hard hard lockdown from day one looking back to last March with a view to achieving zero Covid cases. This is something that everyone could have tangibly bought into with a view to eliminating this f*cling thing once and for all.

Despite what all those libertarian types would have you believe, what we had was actually an incredibly soft lockdown. Although there was 2km restrictions these were only loosely imposed by occasional virtue signalling checkpoints, if we were serious about this we should have had the army on the streets along with the Gardaí, regular patrols of high density housing areas, opening an anonymous phone line to report illegal gatherings.

House parties are actually incredibly easy to patrol if the Gardaí just gave a slight toss. Noise disturbances for some reason are always "a civil issue" whenever they're reported, pretty poor policing in all honesty.

In terms of general public buy in, I think the government have dicked about for too long and have lost a lot of goodwill. We were told to flatten the curve, that was done around the start of May. Apparently it wasn't flattened enough.

Since then, there's been complete ambiguity in what the government's ultimate aim is. The dogs on the street knew that when people started moving around, along with reduced case figures that complacency would kick in and those hellish months from March to May would all be for nothing.

Wishy washy nonsense restrictions like "limit gatherings in houses to six people with social distancing" are realistically not going to be followed by anyone are literally legally and practically unenforceable by anyone.

All the while, institutions that the government has insisted on keeping open (meat factories and direct provision centres) all this time are the main driver of what's setting this back months. Institutions that have been neglected by government after government for years when they know that they are living breathing sh!t holes with awful conditions for some of the most vulnerable members of our society.

We're realistically only weeks away from a hard national lockdown again and my hole Martin will not gain public buy in as he is and always has been a spoofer.

It's going to be a long long winter and you can truly forget about a Christmas of any sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The main tourism body in Ireland promoting staycation but the head of it vacates in Italy, I know now Cawley has resigned, but does he still get a big payout benefits pension etc., ?

He was absolutely wrong and had to resign. idiotic decision to go on holidays to Italy.

My point was that he was not voted in to office.

When i see this blind lashing out at politicians or whoever without any thought behind it, I have to roll my eyes. it's idiotic in itself.

Longing wrote: »
    Personal responsibility is out the window. Today I had to travel through 4 counties two of which were in the North and two in the south. I stopped in one county north and south in a supermarket. In Co Down everybody was wearing a mask but more to the point the were always trying to abide by the two meter rule.

Called into a supermarket in Co Monaghan. My God! Night and day difference I fcuk you not. My wife is easy going women. But in this supermarket we were the only one's wearing a mask the two meter rule was like 2 inch's. It was like the twilight zone a different dimension like they virus didn't exist. After 5 mins my wife was so angry she walked out.

Unless they people in power in this country start putting money were there mouth is concerning social adherence well we are up sh*te creek.

Community transmissions numbers today should ring alarm bells load and clear in government buildings. Don't take me up wrong not saying we should lockdown the country, But there needs to be a firm action taking for places like I was today.

Sorry but I’m calling bull****e on all of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

thelad95 wrote: »
    I think there should have been a hard hard hard lockdown from day one looking back to last March with a view to achieving zero Covid cases. This is something that everyone could have tangibly bought into with a view to eliminating this f*cling thing once and for all.

Despite what all those libertarian types would have you believe, what we had was actually an incredibly soft lockdown. Although there was 2km restrictions these were only loosely imposed by occasional virtue signalling checkpoints, if we were serious about this we should have had the army on the streets along with the Gardaí, regular patrols of high density housing areas, opening an anonymous phone line to report illegal gatherings.

House parties are actually incredibly easy to patrol if the Gardaí just gave a slight toss. Noise disturbances for some reason are always "a civil issue" whenever they're reported, pretty poor policing in all honesty.

In terms of general public buy in, I think the government have dicked about for too long and have lost a lot of goodwill. We were told to flatten the curve, that was done around the start of May. Apparently it wasn't flattened enough.

Since then, there's been complete ambiguity in what the government's ultimate aim is. The dogs on the street knew that when people started moving around, along with reduced case figures that complacency would kick in and those hellish months from March to May would all be for nothing.

Wishy washy nonsense restrictions like "limit gatherings in houses to six people with social distancing" are realistically not going to be followed by anyone are literally legally and practically unenforceable by anyone.

All the while, institutions that the government has insisted on keeping open (meat factories and direct provision centres) all this time are the main driver of what's setting this back months. Institutions that have been neglected by government after government for years when they know that they are living breathing sh!t holes with awful conditions for some of the most vulnerable members of our society.

We're realistically only weeks away from a hard national lockdown again and my hole Martin will not gain public buy in as he is and always has been a spoofer.

It's going to be a long long winter and you can truly forget about a Christmas of any sort.

New Zealand can't keep it out so how do you expect Ireland to remain covid free?

This whole covid zero is fairytale stuff

I can see the need for that and I agree. Conversely the health authorities may feel that it would lead to complacency - if people saw little CT in their area they would get sloppy.

That is probably very true. Or if it shows community transmissions is happening mainly around cluster hotspots, people will become somewhat relaxed if there's no know clusters or hotspot in their area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Reminder the electoral map has been updated, check your towns for new cases

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

No new cases in my area and its neighbouring towns compared to the last version of the map

Well spotted, I’d been checking it here and there but gave up recently assuming it was a one time thing.

I remember thinking you could note each area and compare when the map gets updated, jokingly because I assumed it would be update far more frequently.

Did anyone take note of anything in particular?

I know Lucan north was one of the bigger ones in Dublin with about 9% in June, it’s pretty much the exact same.

My own area in Dublin has gone up 3 cases in 2 months, and that’s in Dublin 24 which apparently has high enough numbers overall. Total is 0.6% infected.

You're buying into the casedemic hysteria, how many deaths has there been over the last 4 weeks? 12

But, keep spreading panic and fear it's no longer a pandemic it's now a casedemic.

We're testing far more than earlier in the year, so we're seeing large numbers but only because we're capturing much more.

With that in mind, it isn't near as prominent in the community as it was when we had the same amount of cases back then. So, we're really only in January or potentially earlier, if you're looking back that way.

So, comparing death rates to when we had these cases numbers previously doesn't help as we're testing way more, so it's no comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Some stats I didn't notice posted here (but I didn't read today's posts very carefully, so apologies if I'm repeating stuff), thought it was pretty interesting.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-200-new-cases-reported-in-largest-daily-total-since-may-1.4331414
    There are currently 308 vacant general beds, excluding critical care beds, across the hospital system. Some 33 adult critical care beds are available, in addition to six paediatric beds and 15 critical care beds in the private system.

A total of 284 critical care beds are occupied, including eight occupied by Covid-19 patients. A further nine patients with suspected cases of Covid-19 are in critical care beds. Five confirmed cases are ventilated, as well as three suspected cases.

So very few Covid-19 patients in hospitals, as we know, but ICUs seem to be pretty full with other patients. I guess they can still increase the number of beds should it become an issue.
    The latest data on contact tracing shows the average time taken from referral for a test to obtaining a lab result is two days. This is a slight increase on the same day last week, when the process was being completed in 1.8 days.

The average time to complete contact tracing calls is 1.8 days, an increase on last week’s figure of 1.2 days.

Contact tracing slowing down as there's more pressure on the system, but it doesn't sound too bad yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Paddygreen is back, I enjoy his posts!

Life is way too short not to appreciate humour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,871 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s not all about deaths as in stats, it’s about preventing the spread and it’s still a pandemic, casedemic is just a made up term used by the covid deniers on social media. No such thing, never has been.

Exactly. New Zealand as an example. It’s not going away until there’s a vaccine/treatment or herd immunity.
    The zero Covid Sesame Street characters all have state pensions/pay

This is a disappointing read but sadly and I fear you are probably right. Cases are rising. Community transmissions are rising. Complacency has set in. It will all lead to a big mess in the end. Coupled with pubs and schools opening, we will be seeing a lockdown come October.

I don't get why there wasn't a hotline set up to report employers breaking the guidelines on social distancing. Some employers can be massive cu*ts and d1ckheads and would gladly throw their employees under the bus. There should have been a hotline set up for reporting employers and establishments breaking the guidelines.

He was absolutely wrong and had to resign. idiotic decision to go on holidays to Italy.

My point was that he was not voted in to office.

When i see this blind lashing out at politicians or whoever without any thought behind it, I have to roll my eyes. it's idiotic in itself.

True not voted in by the Irish people and yes idiotic decision given his "job role"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Longing

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Sorry but I’m calling bull****e on all of this.

Bullsh*t in what way. I'm 47 years on this planet so I don't really care if you believe me or not. The only way i can make you see what it was like PM me I will tell you what store and town to see it for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,871 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

True until a vaccine. However the whole “learn to live with it brigade” are very much satisfied to have every kind of restrictions lifted immediately so that corporations and business can thrive, this at the same time ordinary people are focused on ‘survive’...

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Spiderman0081

Looks like someone needs a hug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

When are you going on hols to Italy (with one or other of your 'wives')?

If it's Tuscany, you might bump into the Fáilte Ireland chairman :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement