Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

NK76 wrote: »
    Covid is nothing more than a normal illness...its time to pull all restrictions...open everything and see where we are in a month...if this happens then everyone will have an accurate understanding of whether this is all hype or something to worry about...personally its all hype

We’ve had that experiment in Sweden. Conditions would be similar if you opened everything, as in some people will take precautions, continue to work from home, etc, you’ll never get a “control” society where people don’t change their behaviour. So Sweden is trending down and is often written off as a failure due to higher death rate than neighbours and similar results economically.

But, emotions aside, they did not get what everyone was promised - tens of thousands of deaths and overrun healthcare system. Domestically, their economy is doing ok, it’s the fact that the rest of the world shut down which is hurting them and bringing similar levels of damage to exports and tourism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

We’ve had that experiment in Sweden. Conditions would be similar if you opened everything, as in some people will take precautions, continue to work from home, etc, you’ll never get a “control” society where people don’t change their behaviour. So Sweden is trending down and is often written off as a failure due to higher death rate than neighbours and similar results economically.

But, emotions aside, they did not get what everyone was promised - tens of thousands of deaths and overrun healthcare system. Domestically, their economy is doing ok, it’s the fact that the rest of the world shut down which is hurting them and bringing similar levels of damage to exports and tourism.

Sweden's approach was far more cautious than this lunatics would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Fair enough. Vietnam then.

Why not follow Papua New Guinea?
    Larger population, but an island and shares a land border.
    Far lower cases and deaths than NZ.
    Why does NZ get heralded for success when other countries have handled it better?

owlbethere wrote: »
    Apparently disease doesn't come in under their remit. It was on this thread a few days ago. If an establishment was lacking fire exits for example, that would come in under their remit. But disease and social distancing is not under their remit.

Hmm interesting, other health and safety aspects around it might possibly be under their remit, but will need to check it up. Apart from that get people to contact their tds to demand for one to be set up and a particular existing authority responsible for enforcement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Sure anything on YouTube isn't science :rolleyes: , have you ever considered that certain experts aren't being given airtime on the traditional media because their opinions go against the narrative that is being pushed at the moment.

Case and point.

The man being interviewed is a professor in immunology or is that not considered "science" anymore because it's on YouTube :rolleyes:.

https://www.pubfacts.com/author/Beda+M+Stadler

That's a list of some of his publications.

Can you tell me why this expert and many others are being ignored by traditional media?

I watched some of this video but not all of it. Your man said something like a lot of people already have immunity to this etc.

The reporter showed a graph and said something like so the virus has ran its course, ran through the population and not that's why we see the line is flattened.

I stopped right there.

The line was flattened because there was a lockdown to slow the spread of the virus. That's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

NK76 wrote: »
    Covid is nothing more than a normal illness...its time to pull all restrictions...open everything and see where we are in a month...if this happens then everyone will have an accurate understanding of whether this is all hype or something to worry about...personally its all hype

Utter nonsense, this is like something you would read here back in February when people still hadn't realized the reality of what we're facing.

What scientific basis are you basing your assumption (which you would base your opening of the whole country again on) that Covid is nothing more than a "normal illness" ?

So you'd happily conduct a biological experiment and see "where things stand?" in a month or two? We've already had nursing homes getting pillaged in the space of a few weeks with multiple deaths from this, we're teetering on the edge of that happening again whether you like it or not.

It concerns me deeply that there is people with viewpoints like this still, I can guarantee you're also the one person that doesn't bother wearing a mask while everyone else wears one to protect you even though you're too selfish to protect them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I see Dame Lane is making itself known again.....

Just got a hint of what life will be like come September. Meant to be bringing my daughter to the park to meet a friend and his daughter for picnic/playdate.

He’s just texted to say a kid in his daughters pod in crèche had the sniffles last week and GP is handing out test referrals like lollipops. Got tested on Wednesday but no results yet and crèche have advised all kids in the pod to stay at home until results come back.

Class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,666 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Those predictions of tens of thousands of deaths were based on the assumption of no restrictions at all. Which is an approach literally no country on earth has taken. Even Sweden took plenty of measures in their own right.

Sweden definitely had some prior conditions that work in it's favour. Extraordinary high percentage of single person dwellings compared to other countries, a more non "touchy-feely" type of culture compared to others like Southern Europe and even ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Reminder the electoral map has been updated, check your towns for new cases

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

No new cases in my area and its neighbouring towns compared to the last version of the map

4 in my town over 2 months which is exceptional for the population

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,332 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Dame lane? Have people been out drinking in big numbers again there?
    do you mean the berlin video?...that bar has always been a kip...

Ah lads. There’s stupidity then there’s this.
    Dame Lane.

https://twitter.com/noelrock/status/1294768121190940675?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,236 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Having taught in a classroom with everyone wearing masks, I can safely tell you air filtration and ventilation are largely irrelevant. By lunchtime of the first day, rules break down and while there is some semblance of added safety, if a kid has it, it's likely to spread.

They'll still share bottles of water. They'll be horsing around as usual by the second day. They'll pull down their masks to shout at someone across the room. The teacher will end up doing the same. It can't and will never work the way adults think it might.

The approach will quickly change to reducing mingling between students in different classes imo. That's what happened where I am. Classes were fed in their rooms. Buses were added. School start and finish were staggered to reduce mingling on the way in and out. Multiple temperature checks a day.

I have to say I really do feel for teachers with this on the horizon.
    Almost as much as I feel for myself heading back to work in a busy hospital in a fortnight .

I read posts talking about " no deaths yet " and " low hospital numbers " in relation to rising cases and really I don't understand why seemingly intelligent people don't get the reason for increasing restrictions again .

We have rising numbers , asymptomatic or not can spread the virus , leading to increased community transmission .
    If that is left unrestricted and uncontrolled we will have cases popping up everywhere and increasing sick patient numbers in hospital a number of whom will die.
    I hope that is not going to happen as we now have a system in place , which ACitizen called " reactionary ."
    But that is the point to react to rising case numbers .
    What's the alternative ..do nothing and go back to March ?
    Because that is what will happen .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,687 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Dame Lane.

Queue that bar not getting another licence...or maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,662 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'd say some "food pubs" just don't care anymore

Non food pubs want #supportnotsympathy (trending tonight)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Why not follow Papua New Guinea?
    Larger population, but an island and shares a land border.
    Far lower cases and deaths than NZ.
    Why does NZ get heralded for success when other countries have handled it better?

It's trendy. Female PM. The amount of absolute drivel I see posted in LinkedIn daily about her is unreal. Can't stick her tbh but that's the main reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

owlbethere wrote: »
    I watched some of this video but not all of it. Your man said something like a lot of people already have immunity to this etc.

The reporter showed a graph and said something like so the virus has ran its course, ran through the population and not that's why we see the line is flattened.

I stopped right there.

The line was flattened because there was a lockdown to slow the spread of the virus. That's all.

If that was the case, we would have seen a lot more cases during lockdown three months ago when nobody was wearing a mask and everyone was out in droves for the 5km walk.

Dame Lane.

By sounds of it, it's been shut down by gardai.

It's not really fair to label the whole dame lane area (the outside drinking is being well policed seemingly now) it's one pub that kip berlin taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Anyone calling for another lockdown should have a read of this it's fairly grim reading.

After 146 Days in Lockdown, Argentina’s Virus Problem Is Getting Worse.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-08-12/after-146-days-in-lockdown-argentina-hasn-t-peaked-latam-wrap?__twitter_impression=true

Zero Covid is not possible see New Zealand.

Yes.

But so many dissed the scientists who were asking the government to try it at least .

New Zealand got there actually for 2 weeks .
    At least they have that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,687 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

gmisk wrote: »
    By sounds of it, it's been shut down by gardai.

It's not really fair to label the whole dame lane area (the outside drinking is being well policed seemingly now) it's one pub that kip berlin taking the piss.

Yeah but many other pubs closing up forever and seeing that - cannot imagine how they feel. The woman there on the news last week - bar open since the 1940's but no more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Just got a hint of what life will be like come September. Meant to be bringing my daughter to the park to meet a friend and his daughter for picnic/playdate.

He’s just texted to say a kid in his daughters pod in crèche had the sniffles last week and GP is handing out test referrals like lollipops. Got tested on Wednesday but no results yet and crèche have advised all kids in the pod to stay at home until results come back.

Class.

So you think this is all overblown. It's all about trade offs.

Thanks for letting us know. Really puts the measured whataboutery earlier in context and belies your true thoughts on this.

Of course the bad side of this is it may take some time for the effects to be known. The potential good side (in some poster's mind) is the planet will probably be healthier if everyone had a shorter life span.

Dame Lane.

Pretty disgusting behavior.
    Love to see the vintners association distance themselves from them and maybe lobby the likes of Diageo to stop supplying them.
    Would be a big statement to make. All the pubs closed without being told to and gained a lot of respect from the public. It's those scenes that really will turn the public against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Santy2015 wrote: »
    That 25 out of 200 is still only 12.5% community transmission. Well below what the average actually is
    While a community transmission case is more problematic than a cluster case, this bs of "It's fine, community transmission is only X%" is nonsense. The cases are rising. If there were were 2500 cases total and only 50 of them were community transmission, that's only 2% community transmission, but only a fool would call it an improvement. Sure, it would mean our tracing was better, but that only works up to a point, and for all the tracers' alleged success of late (and I've no doubt they did some great work), the cases are still increasing, and I'd be very surprised if there was no community transmission which didn't arise from the meat factories unbeknownst to the tracers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Dame Lane.

Few Boards posters in that i'd say.

It was never given a chance because we never closed the ports or airports to outside travelers so it is a fairytale and impossible do especially when we have a land border with a different country that had different restrictions in place to ours.

Have to say Northern Ireland has been pretty much following the same rules as us apart from that first week with the schools .
    The problem is with UK .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,566 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Dame Lane.

If genuine the place should be levelled by bulldozer at first light in the morning, then in the afternoon level the owners house.

If that was the case, we would have seen a lot more cases during lockdown three months ago when nobody was wearing a mask and everyone was out in droves for the 5km walk.

People weren't mixing with each other during lockdown to the extent that they are now, therefore denying the virus the same opportunity to circulate. And that's why it was suppressed. And the numbers fell as a result.

But when people start to move about again and interact with each other again the virus has more opportunities to circulate. And that's why numbers begin to rise again.

It's that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

That bar is an absolute dive, always has been, full of absolute nutters most of the time and that proves it.

Think they can wave goodbye to their licence but sure the Gardai didn't stop it.

Few Boards posters in that i'd say.

Boards beers for the relaxation of restrictions thread.

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    Dame lane? Have people been out drinking in big numbers again there?
    do you mean the berlin video?...that bar has always been a kip...

kip is an understatement. Full of absolute headers

Incredible video. Wtf.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I'd say some "food pubs" just don't care anymore

Non food pubs want #supportnotsympathy (trending tonight)

its not non food pubs not caring, this is the same place that tried to arrange a rave when they reopened they'd not intention of doing what ever other pub / restaurant was doing, an absolute cesspit of an establishment

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Yes.

But so many dissed the scientists who were asking the government to try it at least .

New Zealand got there actually for 2 weeks .
    At least they have that.

Maybe the government here know more about trying to shutdown the border than scientists. And by scientists, I hope you don't meant the letter signed by 1000, but when you look through the list, you see a lot of self employed, unemployed, teachers etc... on the occupation list.
    If Sinn Fein ain't calling for zero covid in Ireland, you know it's not possible. Even they see the issues. They call for an all Ireland approach, which that decision isn't down solely to our government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Class.

Thankfully he had the cop on and showed responsibility and texted you to cancel your plans and for him to restrict his close contacts until he knows more. We need more people like this for sure. He put the health and safety of you and others ahead of his desire for a social get together.

The problem here aw well is the child sent to crèche with sniffles. I know children gets a lot of colds usually. The problem here is some parents changing the guidelines to suit themselves and ignoring sniffles and saying its just a cold. If every parent did that, there will come a time when that cold might be something more sinister and turn out to be covid.

Also if children with colds are isolated at home instead of mixing with peers in crèche and school, there should be less colds in school and crèche and then there should be less sniffles going around. Everyone will have to do their bit though but that probably won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

So to bring it back to our own situation, where do we see ourselves in a months time?

I'm thinking 4-500 cases daily in maybe 1-2 months, if more restrictive measures aren't put in place.

This will take us to the cleaners come November and on until Spring. The outbreaks in refrigerated meat plans globally proves this virus is built to thrive in colder/drier conditions. Obviously the conditions of these plants don't help but there are plenty workers in factories across the globe in a similar closely packed environment, but it seems the cool temps bring about the perfect storm.

Strumms wrote: »
    In fairness I’d imagine the easiest thing to get right in schools would be the infrastructure, but like you are saying it’s how to prevent kids from behavior that can and will potentially be the catalyst for spreading. Teachers have a hard enough job simply teaching and enabling kids to learn, grow and be educated but add in this scenario...

Teachers are not parents, parents got to parent, I know in this day and age that’s almost a fûckin foreign concept in some cases for parents but if the kid is CONSTANTLY disregarding, disrespecting and endangering even potentially the health, safety and welfare of the other students / staff... the school should inform both parents and students of a ‘strike’ system, whereby three strikes and it’s suspension for two weeks... rack up another three and good luck...

My fella would be pretty good and has mostly abided by the rules ..but...when they get together, teens, that is , you're not dealing with an individual anymore , it's a 12 headed beast with it's own language and laws ! ;)
    I respect teachers and their job so much !

So you think this is all overblown. It's all about trade offs.

Thanks for letting us know. Really puts the measured whataboutery earlier in context and belies your true thoughts on this.

Of course the bad side of this is it may take some time for the effects to be known. The potential good side (in some poster's mind) is the planet will probably be healthier if everyone had a shorter life span.

Where did i say it was overblown? The lollipops reference was what was said to my friend by the crèche, and I’m wondering if every kid with the sniffles gets a test, which takes >4 days to get results, while every contact and secondary contact isolates, then the schools opening will result in a defacto lockdown as this isolation spreads through families, more than actual outbreaks causing lockdowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,662 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

its not non food pubs not caring, this is the same place that tried to arrange a rave when they reopened they'd not intention of doing what ever other pub / restaurant was doing, an absolute cesspit of an establishment

Is it a "food pub" ? Has some non food pubs opened in defiance, is the one in Limerick still opened?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Just to check - on the updated map of cases, if it says 270 cases in my ED, what's the timespan for that? Is that total? Or since when? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

If genuine the place should be levelled by bulldozer at first light in the morning, then in the afternoon level the owners house.
    Could be bulldozed straight away, tbh. Safety obviously isn't a concern for the occupants.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Yeah but many other pubs closing up forever and seeing that - cannot imagine how they feel. The woman there on the news last week - bar open since the 1940's but no more
    I totally agree.

It is a kip and should be levelled.

Just to check - on the updated map of cases, if it says 270 cases in my ED, what's the timespan for that? Is that total? Or since when? Thanks.

Total

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Where did i say it was overblown? The lollipops reference was what was said to my friend by the crèche, and I’m wondering if every kid with the sniffles gets a test, which takes >4 days to get results, while every contact and secondary contact isolates, then the schools opening will result in a defacto lockdown as this isolation spreads through families, more than actual outbreaks causing lockdowns.

must of read wrong sorry. It is a hard thing but testing people of contacts is standard practice. Telling people to isolate is also.
    Sorry about the play date.
    Don't see schools working myself but we must try.

Just learned last evening of a brother of a friend (of my own middle-aged vintage) who died of Covid. Sparse funeral attended by his mother and siblings. If anybody thinks it's an ordinary illness, think again.

• Advertisement

Ficheall wrote: »
    While a community transmission case is more problematic than a cluster case, this bs of "It's fine, community transmission is only X%" is nonsense. The cases are rising. If there were were 2500 cases total and only 50 of them were community transmission, that's only 2% community transmission, but only a fool would call it an improvement. Sure, it would mean our tracing was better, but that only works up to a point, and for all the tracers' alleged success of late (and I've no doubt they did some great work), the cases are still increasing, and I'd be very surprised if there was no community transmission which didn't arise from the meat factories unbeknownst to the tracers.

25 community transmissions with a R of less than 1 and clusters were confined would be ok. But I doubt the R is less than 1 in the community and now the 4 or so larger clusters are causing a 'secondary spread'. Not sure of that term. But definitely a worrying situation.

It's genuine.
    There are instagram stories etc from today, same outfits people etc.
    They deserve to have their license taken away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Interestingly that Berlin bar shi!thole updated their opening hours on social media to 2:30am, they're obviously trying to stage some sort of sick revolt against the system.

Braindead, I sincerely hope they have their liquor license revoked.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    New Zealand actually had more stricter restrictions than Ireland.
    https://theconversation.com/an-endless-game-of-covid-19-whack-a-mole-a-new-zealand-expert-on-why-melbournes-stage-4-lockdown-should-cover-all-of-victoria-143831
    All takeaways were closed, that never happened here.
    No one allowed at funerals, that didn't happen here.
    All non essential businesses closed, we were a lot more loose on that, they had a strict list of what could open.
    They didn't have 3 months of success, they only lifted their last phase on June 8th, so 2 months of sucess.

And then they had security guards having sex with those under quarantine ...

Edit. Sorry that was Melbourne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Dame Lane.

Wasn't that the place advertising some other tasteless event just before the first lockdown?

Also I'd like Garda to make a point here and round all them clowns up and leave them in guarded a field outside Mullingar for 2 weeks to self isolate.

That should do it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement