Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

polesheep wrote: »
    They claimed to have eradicated it, but there were likely asymptomatic people walking around with it and spreading it to other people who were either asymptomatic or had only mild symptoms. Very interesting.

This virus is the sneakiest turd.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

JDD wrote: »
    WHO also said there was no evidence of asymptomatic spread of the virus, that masks would not help prevent the spread of the virus and that they believed China only had 80k cases.

WHO are generally staffed by good people who are doing their best, but they are fumbling in the dark, just like everyone else.
    Yes, but they are at least a central position from which we can all derive a response. There's no use everyone choosing different positions.

The WHO saying that there was no evidence for these things in the past, doesn't mean they were wrong. They were right; there was no evidence for it. Making a decision when there is no evidence to support its effectiveness, can make things worse.

If we decide that this virus is seasonal without evidence, we may end up focussing resources in the wrong way. For example, opening up and relaxing restrictions "because its summer", and/or restricting access to PPE and medicine in order to stockpile for winter. If there is no seasonal aspect to this, then these measures will do harm.

The seasonality of illness is a whole other topic anyway. There's an argument that no illnesses are "seasonal" - that most of it is down to human behavior rather than the ability of illnesses to survive in different kinds of weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Longing

Covid-19 outbreak recorded on ward at Naas General Hospital
    Cleaning staff looks like brought it into the hospital.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/covid-19-outbreak-recorded-on-ward-at-naas-general-hospital-1.4327468

How long does it take to get a test appointment at the moment.

I started having symptoms yesterday morning. Rang my gp yesterday lunch time. Had a telephone consultation today morning. When will I get an appointment.

I've lost track of what's published about the length of the cycle.
    You'll have a test tomorrow probably. Family member had their GP consultation yesterday, test scheduled for today.
    El Sueño wrote: »
    Can you imagine the meltdown in here if we'd done what New Zealand did and now we had cases popping up at random
    Actually, I think the response would be better. Since NZ locked down early, but then opened up fully weeks ago, people are likely more accepting of a lockdown now.

Since we've been under some form of restriction since March, we've had no respite from it and a return to harsher restrictions far more difficult to accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Hahaha I see Paddygreen is back. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

Struggling to figure out how the virus got back in to NZ :confused:

Its a numbers thing - a very small proportion of people will not get any symptoms or detectable viral load for > 14 days. Eventually managed isolation wont catch one of these. Or it may be something as simple as miss on a cleaning or isolation procedure that resulted in contact -someone doing a swab didn't dispose of gloves, tissues from thrash or some other issue, that individually are very low risk be will eventually happen given time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

If there was asymptomatic people walking around, they would know about it now. Surely it would involve other people needing hospital treatment.

Not necessarily, look at Leicester they had a spike in cases and no increase in hospital admissions. Maybe it's the age profile, immunity, a weakened virus, who knows. That's why I said very interesting.

Struggling to figure out how the virus got back in to NZ :confused:

It's very important to know if it is a case of the virus getting back in or if it was there all along but undetected. If it's the latter, then epidemiologists should be all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

I am 100% CERTAIN that even when this is gone, vaccinated away - whatever, we will still be muzzled on the streets.

They will use the excuse of - "in case it comes back" or new viruses ....

I am 100% certain we won't be - even now as we come out of lockdown you don't have to wear a mask on the street let alone a muzzle!

What ever about that blip our current approach has no hope. I'll take New Zelands approach over ours any day.

What it does highlight is the max 14 day incubation advised by the WHO is utter bollix as usual from them.

Its well known that in a tiny fraction of cases incubation can take more than 14 days. So its yourself, not the WHO talking bollix

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/risk-comms-updates/update-28-covid-19-what-we-know-may-2020.pdf?sfvrsn=ed6e286c_2

• Advertisement

Exactly. Up until yesterday New Zealanders were living in relative normality: crowds could go to sporting events, bars were open, they could shake hands and embrace each other, no masks, etc. Only thing they couldn’t do was travel abroad on holidays. I, and I imagine most people, could live with that for a year quite easily.

Only lasted 102 days however. We now have less restrictions than Auckland, and very similar to the rest of NZ

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Its not any worse as those patronising posts telling us the umpteenth time how stupid and selfish these people are for the sake of some cheap thanks.

The masks narrative has been one single disaster from start to finish. Do you think its a good idea we all fall into line behind our 'leaders' without questioning anything? Don't you think we need to keep them honest?

Its now accepted that the Irish authorities lied about masks in March to May/June for the 'greater good'.

Some of the same people who tell us the Irish authorities are trustworthy, and have no rational reason to lie about anything, also praise them for lying when it is seen as beneficial.

If the goal is to chip away at social and political trust then we'll done you're succeeding beautifully.

marno21 wrote: »
    The New Zealand case we’re hearing about this morning, in a country ideally suited for eradication, should finally put to bed the “zero Covid island” approach we keep hearing about for Ireland.

It’s a nice idea in theory but it is a total non runner in practice

Outside of boards.ie there hasn't really been any serious suggestion that we could get to zero cases has there?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Hahaha I see Paddygreen is back. :)

I ate a lasagne last week that came from a covid cluster ground zero. A double blow for me as I am vegan and bought and ate it whilst tired and emotional. Fell off the wagon. I was offline in my yoga hut at the bottom of the garden listening to old John Gormley speech’s I have downloaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Longing wrote: »
    Covid-19 outbreak recorded on ward at Naas General Hospital
    Cleaning staff looks like brought it into the hospital.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/covid-19-outbreak-recorded-on-ward-at-naas-general-hospital-1.4327468

Wonder if this is related to the big hospital increase over night? Dashboard says 21 in hospital, up from 14 last night. Naas had 8 awaiting swabs last night.

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Outside of boards.ie there hasn't really been any serious suggestion that we could get to zero cases has there?

There has and sadly it's from some 'eminent' scientists.

The Russians are an incredible people. If this vaccine was developed in the UK, the US or Germany this would be leading the news worldwide.

This is really big news but because of the anti Russia phobia that western media pushes on it's people it's viewed as some sort of negative when i fact this could be the beginning of the end of this virus.

I bet Trump will have 500 million doses on order by end of week?

Yes, there have been some calls for it; https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/irelands-current-coronavirus-approach-isnt-fit-for-purpose-heres-how-we-achieve-zero-covid-39434348.html
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0804/1157355-zero-covid-island/

Scotland is also allegedly pursuing the approach.

The approach itself is perfectly valid. The problem is its feasibility when you have an open land border. The only response people have to this issue is that, "It could be done if there was the political will", but that's a non-statement. You could say that about ending hunger, about eliminating poverty. About anythng.

It's not a possibility without tearing down NI's links to the UK and an all-island government put in place until the problem is solved. And that's not going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

seamus wrote: »
    Yes, there have been some calls for it; https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/irelands-current-coronavirus-approach-isnt-fit-for-purpose-heres-how-we-achieve-zero-covid-39434348.html
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0804/1157355-zero-covid-island/

Scotland is also allegedly pursuing the approach.

The approach itself is perfectly valid. The problem is its feasibility when you have an open land border. The only response people have to this issue is that, "It could be done if there was the political will", but that's a non-statement. You could say that about ending hunger, about eliminating poverty. About anythng.

It's not a possibility without tearing down NI's links to the UK and an all-island government put in place until the problem is solved. And that's not going to happen.

You left out the common travel area. Which means we can live in each other’s countries without restriction. The only logical route to keep both traditions happy is a UK and Ireland approach. Otherwise a non starter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

And CNN will complain about it.

• Advertisement

And I'll bet the Russians hacked his computer and placed the order:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

polesheep wrote: »
    And I'll bet the Russians hacked his computer and placed the order:D

But Trump is a Russian mole so he hacked his own computer for his paymasters

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You left out the common travel area. Which means we can live in each other’s countries without restriction. The only logical route to keep both traditions happy is a UK and Ireland approach. Otherwise a non starter

What have the Isle of Man done, they seem to have it under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,996 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The American and British Vaccines do work too, but they still need to go through the safety process of Phase 3, just to confirm what they already know.
    Russian stole their Vaccine through hacking, and are pushing ahead with it.

And CNN will complain about it.

A they would be right to - a rushed vaccine bypassing safety and efficacy testing to satisfy the demands of an autocrat. Hopefully it works, but if we were offered free vaccine from the Russian stock today, or wait 6 months for Moderna for example, I know which I'd do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Its not any worse as those patronising posts telling us the umpteenth time how stupid and selfish these people are for the sake of some cheap thanks.

The masks narrative has been one single disaster from start to finish. Do you think its a good idea we all fall into line behind our 'leaders' without questioning anything? Don't you think we need to keep them honest?

Ah will you go away, it's a piece of fabric over your mouth and nose that's been proven to limit spread. You'd swear we were being sent off to Gulags with the way some are going on about it.

Your "fall in line" lingo says it all, you're mad for any reason to shake the fist at your government. A tale as old as time.

The Russians are an incredible people. If this vaccine was developed in the UK, the US or Germany this would be leading the news worldwide.
    The vaccine in the UK that entered phase 3 trials, did lead the news worldwide.

If they decided to abandon phase 3 trials and jump straight to rollout, it would also have been worldwide news, for the sheer insanity of it.
    This is really big news but because of the anti Russia phobia that western media pushes on it's people it's viewed as some sort of negative when i fact this could be the beginning of the end of this virus.
    It's nothing to do with anti-Russia phobia. They are conducting mass testing of an unproven vaccine using the population. This is the kind of stuff dystopian novels are made of.

If any other country was doing this, the same crticism would be made.

Yes, it'll be great if this works. But the end doesn't justify the means. The rest of the world can't just ignore the fact that the Russian population are being used as guinea pigs to potentially save the rest of us. We can't stop them, but that doesn't mean we have to approve of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

i knew Russia would save the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

I am 100% CERTAIN that even when this is gone, vaccinated away - whatever, we will still be muzzled on the streets.

They will use the excuse of - "in case it comes back" or new viruses ....

I seriously doubt that. People are only doing it now out of respect for others, elderly and children etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Russia man bad.

USA man good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement