Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It's time to get serious again. It needs a concentrated national effort to bring the case numbers down, particularly with schools going back, and I suspect the public is going to have little tolerance for ****-acting. The "relaxation" crowd as usual are on the wrong side of public opinion, and their refusal to accept even simple public health measures are only making it less likely that the public will be happy to relax restrictions.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    It seems to be the city pubs mainly Dublin ruining it for others reopening, delayed again :mad: what will Dublin Vintners say about this

Isn't just a Dublin thing, pub in Carlow town that normally has no one in it apart from the local scrotes is pretty full tonight and has been since they were allowed reopen..Frozen pizza for food, no restrictions on number of people etc. Funny thing is that the owner won't set foot in the place at night when it's busy, leaves that to the staff to deal with the night shift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,236 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Maybe the government here know more about trying to shutdown the border than scientists. And by scientists, I hope you don't meant the letter signed by 1000, but when you look through the list, you see a lot of self employed, unemployed, teachers etc... on the occupation list.
    If Sinn Fein ain't calling for zero covid in Ireland, you know it's not possible. Even they see the issues. They call for an all Ireland approach, which that decision isn't down solely to our government.

No, not the letter , sure that was signed by a right few plonkers
    A few very eminent scientists have called for it , but the border issue is the main sticking point , I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

GooglePlus wrote: »
    You've cut people down for using hearsay before, practice what you preach.

what hearsay ? They aren't part of either group. If you PM me I can provide you with the messages I've literally been sent 10 minutes ago from a publican involved with the LVA.

Likewise I've a mate who's a Garda in a Dublin station that I text about 15 minutes ago and he came back with what they're doing, if they don't lose their licence I'll be shocked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

spookwoman wrote: »
    You must be looking at a different video..:rolleyes:
    People queuing o have drink poured in to their mouths, (can't do that through a mask( and then they go off back to their spot brushing up against people.

Music blaring so people have to shout when trying to say anything and then the people screaming which is spreading droplets all over the place.
    A perfect situation for a cluster if someone is infected in there.

What do you think the agenda of the person taking and sharing this video was?

Don't jump at something off the back of a few seconds of video.

Most people complaining about this would be all over someone if they said pubs shouldn't open, it's comical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

s1ippy wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/NoelRock/status/1294764775147266049?s=20
    Berlin in Dublin absolutely hoppin tonight. Great laugh. Drinking from the same bottle. It must take immense effort to be that dense.

As far as I'm concerned their status as a "fellow citizen" is irrelevant if they're putting me or anyone belong to me in danger. Are you flouting the restrictions or something, that why you're feeling threatened? I'm just trying to imagine why you might think it's a bad thing for people to be protecting themselves.

Thanks for that. We're blessed that you're so decisive when it comes to determining the outcome of people's lives.

As it stands today:
    68 clusters
    25 confirmed CT
    which leaves 107 unknown.

Prof. Nolan said last week that the rough breakdown was

c. 70/71% linked to cluster/outbreak/close contact
    c. 16% Community Transmission
    c. 6% Possible Community Transmission
    c. 2% Travel
    c. 4% Travel Related

The remaining cases will hopefully shake out along those lines. If not, we're probably f'd.

Few deaths for weeks, a handful of hospital patients who come and go and Hardly anyone in ICU. If those stats keep up for a few more weeks then people just need to wake up that the reality is that this fear can’t paralyse us any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,565 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Perhaps it's one last hurrah before the bar goes under financially...one can only pray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,687 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Goldengirl wrote: »
    A few very eminent scientists have called for it , but the border issue is the main sticking point , I agree.

Zero Covid is dreamland - only people calling for it are in nice paying jobs that will still be nice paying jobs if the country is locked down

You only have to look at every country in the world to see even when you think you have it under control there is a multitude of silent carriers ready to pass it on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

gmisk wrote: »
    Noel Rock has also confirmed that Berlin isn't a member of LVA, he is usually pretty spot on

I'd say Noel is making a few inquiries behind the scenes.

Slán abhaile Berlin you utter fools. Was it all worth it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Should be shut down on the morning

No ifs no buts no maybes

Just plan shut

It looks bad but maybe we aren't looking at it in the right way?

Mask compliance very high.

Patrons and staff on different levels.

Delivery of alcohol in a novel multi levelled way increases social distancing
    and decreases chance of fomite transmission.

There is no evidence that anybody had coronavirus let alone transmitted.it.

Just thought I'd give some whataboutery a go for a change.

• Advertisement

what hearsay ? They aren't part of either group. If you PM me I can provide you with the messages I've literally been sent 10 minutes ago from a publican involved with the LVA.

Likewise I've a mate who's a Garda in a Dublin station that I text about 15 minutes ago and he came back with what they're doing

PM me, I'm genuinely interested to hear about both and see the original messages.

It just seems that one venue has been caught out on twitter by someone mad to be the hero. The place is absolutely dead relatively speaking and pouring a drink into someone's mouth without contact isn't dangerous, unless this virus can defy gravity and swim upstream.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I'd say Noel is making a few inquiries behind the scenes.

Slán abhaile Berlin you utter fools. Was it all worth it?

Is the Berlin bar one of these fly by night bars that opens for a year or two (leasing the property) and then move on to another property
    Good few years since I frequented Dame Lane

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

That bar in Dublin tonight, did I see women dancing with masks on in the video? Only used as a fashion accessory.

Most people complaining about this would be all over someone if they said pubs shouldn't open, it's comical.

Agenda of sharing the video?? it's recklessness of the highest level.

If your going to open (and I want pubs to open) you don't open like this. Its common sense.

Nobody that wants pubs to open wants them to open like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The person's agenda taking the video was likely to show how much craic they were having. Probably made the mistake of putting it in one of their trusted watsapp groups. Brainless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Ah lads. There’s stupidity then there’s this.
    Dame Lane.

This kind of stuff is why I don't like the "cocoon the vulnerable, and let the rest of us live" -argument. When certain people act like that, it ruins everything for the vast majority who have acted in a responsible way throughout the year.

PM me, I'm genuinely interested to hear about both and see the original messages.

It just seems that one venue has been caught out on twitter by someone mad to be the hero. The place is absolutely dead relatively speaking and pouring a drink into someone's mouth without contact isn't dangerous, unless this virus can defy gravity and swim upstream.

Can send screenshots of the message from the publican no problem, on my phone so can't attach images in PM only on thread.

Can it wait until I'm on the laptop in the morning?

It seems to be the city pubs mainly Dublin ruining it for others reopening, delayed again :mad: what will Dublin Vintners say about this

This pub is an " outlier" ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,332 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

fritzelly wrote: »
    Is the Berlin bar one of these fly by night bars that opens for a year or two (leasing the property) and then move on to another property
    Good few years since I frequented Dame Lane
    They were originally near the back of the powerscourt I think but they have been at that location for at least a few years.

Let's see what happens to the them tomorrow, I'd say they will be made an example off and rightly so, it's not as if they don't have a lot previous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭seanb85

You have people on this forum who would cut you down for mentioning a lockdown and then they give out about a mild bit of craic in a pub.

Low hanging fruit is known to carry covid.

The video is terrible optics but realistically the behaviour is less risky than working a shift in a meat plant or sleeping in a shared bedroom in direct provision.

It's being highlighted by a TD, but the same TD won't push to change the conditions in Direct Provision for the duration of the pandemic even though they create a perfect environment for spread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Glad we feel the same way about the letter!
    I'd love to see a discussion on it, having a panel from both sides argue their point.
    We're use to debates about elections and referendums, which will shape our future. But with Covid, there's not much. The current government haven't really a clue about a road map out if it . All they shout about is opening schools.... what happens next?
    The opposition are extremely silent, literally non existent, then again I could say the same about our new government. There's a night and day difference between this one and the previous one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I thought you were completely impartial in your assessment of whether pubs should reopen. I shocked to find you are in close contact with a publican. :eek:

And here I thought everyone was trying to solve the public health problem and not look after their friends bank balances. I'm still shocked.

seanb85 wrote: »
    The video is terrible optics but realistically the behaviour is less risky than working a shift in a meat plant or sleeping in a shared bedroom in direct provision.

It's being highlighted by a TD, but the same TD won't push to change the conditions in Direct Provision for the duration of the pandemic even though they create a perfect environment for spread.
    Ex TD.....he can't push anything.

He was a decent TD btw I know people from his area that were immensely sad to see him not keep his seat he was a hard worker.

Also quick Google shows he raised issues around direct provision while a TD in PQs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

gmisk wrote: »
    I totally agree....but how likely is that to happen?

Surely must be some public safety law they can use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I guess that carry on explains why Dublin is keeping up its case numbers.

The Kildare situation is a disaster due to multiple meat plants.

Hopefully the Mushroom plant in Tipperary doesn't lead to more huge numbers.

The Galway 6 is worrying but hopefully its just a family or summat and not a new emerging factory cluster.

One glimmer of good is at least most of the current problem counties have known causes. An unknown spike in a county would be a huge blow for the entire country.

Agenda of sharing the video?? it's recklessness of the highest level.

If your going to open (and I want pubs to open) you don't open like this. Its common sense.

Nobody that wants pubs to open wants them to open like that.

I can't believe this video was the straw that broke the camel's back.

You'd be happy enough to eat food cooked in the basement of a bar (as would I) and for it to be eaten in a condensed environment surrounded by people all there for the drink only and loose as ****.

The only problem with this video is that there are people clearly enjoying themselves and there isn't a 9 euro meal in shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭spookwoman

By the looks of it the other 2 videos are from some "influencer" called jess brennan.
    1st video owner Transalates
    so the pubs at #Dublin are not afraid of #Covid19 : it's atmosphere like never before in the Berlin D2 bar (in Dublin) on Dame Lane! (CC
    @rtenews
    )
    https://twitter.com/antoon619/status/1294704669722370049?s=20

I thought you were completely impartial in your assessment of whether pubs should reopen. I shocked to find you are in close contact with a publican. :eek:

And here I thought everyone was trying to solve the public health problem and not look after their friends bank balances. I'm still shocked.

I've said many times I know a publican involved with the LVA, sure I worked in a pub.

Your shocked at someone who wants to see all businesses be given the chance to trade safely and not like in that video ??

Your sarcasm is wasted here

spookwoman wrote: »
    By the looks of it the other 2 videos are from some "influencer" called jess brennan.
    1st video owner Transalates
    so the pubs at #Dublin are not afraid of #Covid19 : it's atmosphere like never before in the Berlin D2 bar (in Dublin) on Dame Lane! (CC
    @rtenews
    )
    https://twitter.com/antoon619/status/1294704669722370049?s=20

If there wasn't a man dancing on the bar, there wouldn't be half the outrage.

It's bad optics (joke in there somewhere) but realistically it's tame as **** and not a story unless you are willing to be part of the outraged.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Here's the event from Berlin.

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/baked-brunch-tickets-116526468805
    I actually saw the ad for this on fb earlier. Dopes.

and decreases chance of famine transmission.

Bpsj8HMCEAAtMk9.jpg:large
    I beg to differ, this patron was seen wearing the trademark "crown" associated with coronavirus.
    Few deaths for weeks, a handful of hospital patients who come and go and Hardly anyone in ICU. If those stats keep up for a few more weeks then people just need to wake up that the reality is that this fear can’t paralyse us any more.
    I agree that if the hospitalisations and mortality don't rise with these rising case numbers we're clearly in a better position, as the virus will have proved itself much less lethal than previously demonstrated. Hopefully the post-viral issues for many sufferers have been overstated by the media too. Interesting times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,659 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Thats a bit unfair on Dublin pubs no ? What other Dublin pubs have flauted guidelines like Berlin has ?

Was pubs in Dame Lane and Temple Bar jammers a few times now?

Apologies if I am wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

and decreases chance of famine transmission.

Just thought I'd give some whataboutery a go for a change.

Some fine whataboutery lol

That particular pub has been in trouble a few times and should be shut down ..ignorant tossers !

Have to say, in reply to my own post ,...
    If I were that age again I would love this and really don't think that the people involved in the dancing and drinking , are as guilty as the owner and barmen who are meant to be responsible for the safe running of that establishment , and especially now in a pandemic.
    Everyone's names should be taken , all tested and the pub owner should be charged with reckless endangerment , never mind revoke his licence !

Apologies if I am wrong

Yeah but this is some hot **** right now.

I can't believe this video was the straw that broke the camel's back.

You'd be happy enough to eat food cooked in the basement of a bar (as would I) and for it to be eaten in a condensed environment surrounded by people all there for the drink only and loose as ****.

The only problem with this video is that there are people clearly enjoying themselves and there isn't a 9 euro meal in shot.

Theres more than no €9 meal wrong with that video in fairness.

No pub can open like that at the moment, its reckless

• Advertisement

Theres more than no €9 meal wrong with that video in fairness.

No pub can open like that at the moment, its reckless

You're seeing a few seconds of the entire night. If you want to judge based on little to no facts, fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

s1ippy wrote: »
    Here's the event from Berlin.

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/baked-brunch-tickets-116526468805
    I actually saw the ad for this on fb earlier. Dopes.
    TICKETS ARE A MERE €25 EURO PER PERSON WHICH INCLUDES YOUR ADMISH, YOUR DISH, A SHOT AND A HELL OF A HOOLY!
    TICKETS WILL BE SOLD PER TABLE AND WILL BE LIMITED DUE TO DISTANCING RULES SO GRAB YOUR BAKED BUDS AND GET YOUR TABLE!

Jaysus. Admish. And distancing rules.

Apologies if I am wrong
    I am pretty sure it was people drinking mostly their own drink (though maybe some takeaway pints) in Dame lane, but that has been stamped out.
    The video in a packed pub in Temple bar was before pubs were forced to close as well.

This berlin place has been taking the piss with opening late etc as well so has form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,659 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The government are eventually going have to come out with a positive campaign to tell people Covid is not as bad as first thought because otherwise too many people are going to be paralysed with the fear they have instilled in them to get the country back to some normality.

MM and FF have gone quiet, are they holidaying? Simon Harris seems to still be encouraging vigilance and care

Wouldn't be like an advertisement to entice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

To anybody defending the video, you're part of the problem and not the solution.
    I remember a certain video in Dame Lane long ago caused a ****storm in the days after. But's it's also unfair to punish the actual restaurants who make the majority of their income from food. Any row back on restrictions should be on restaurants not being able to sell alcohol, that would swiftly stop the 'pub' abuse.
    Ideally, just have massive fines for non compliant businesses, it's a business in the end, their motive is profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Apologies if I am wrong

No they were not jammers. Crowds congregated in the area near them and the Garda Commissioner confirmed it was a public order issue and not a pub licensing violation.

Baked buds?!? Like the beer?

Wouldn't be like an advertisement to entice

Maybe your not hip and cool anymore. Don't worry your not alone wouldn't entice me either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

The only problem? People can go to a pub, and enjoy themselves without acting like complete idiots. If there weren't idiots like this, then we could have "non-food" pubs actually opening sometime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭spookwoman

If there wasn't a man dancing on the bar, there wouldn't be half the outrage.

It's bad optics (joke in there somewhere) but realistically it's tame as **** and not a story unless you are willing to be part of the outraged.

People are fighting and getting further into debt to get their businesses to comply. Some can't even open because the opening of phase 4 was put on hold due to number of infections. People have had to stop seeing relative and can't live life like they used to. Its been very hard on people and then you have f*cking muppets like the Berlin do stuff like this. Yep people are going to be p*ssed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,666 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think it is naive to think that sort of behaviour only occurred with the reopening of places. House parties consisting of friends and friends of friends have been going since lockdown.

The current situation of increased cases has occurred despite; masks being mandatory, pubs being closed, social distancing being required, schools being shut, large gatherings being banned etc. It's odd you look at a video of people partying and somehow conflate that to "I'm glad the pubs are closed" where the recent spikes have come from pubs being closed so it is clearly something else you should be focusing on. Unless you have some sort of grudge or irrational bias against pubs?

The reason I look at that video and think it was the right decision to keep non food pubs closed is that I know full well that's the type of craic that'd be going on in a lot more establishments if there was a lot more of them open.

The current situation of increased cases is occurring despite masks being mandatory, distancing being required, schools shut, large gatherings banned. If you did away with these measures then the current situation would be worse than it currently is.

Recent spikes have occurred despite non food pubs being closed. That isn't to say if non-food pubs were open we wouldn't see associated cases and clusters. Obviously, if a place is closed and no one is in it, then you aren't going to have associated cases with it. That's basic logic.

What else should I be focusing on? Am I concerned about travel into the country: yes. Am I concerned about outbreaks in meat factorys and direct provision centres: yes. Am I concerned about the risk posed by house parties: yes. Am I concerned that people are forgetting about social distancing generally: yes.

Personally, I find it odd that you assume that my remarks mean that I have some "sort of grudge or irrational bias against pubs." What does that even mean? That I'm some sort of puritan who hates the thought of people having fun? Please. I love drinking, I love the pub. I miss being able to go to the pub for a feed of pints. But at the same time I can see the logic behind keeping them shut for now because they're perfect breeding grounds for further spread of the virus. That's the reason. Not because I hate pubs, which is, quite frankly, ridiculous. It's a very weak argument to reach for.

MM and FF have gone quiet, are they holidaying? Simon Harris seems to still be encouraging vigilance and care

Last I heard he was Galway way (not really doing anything important)

One thing you can say for SH (cue all the haters) everyday he had a message

MM was bumping elbows with Boris Johnson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭seanb85

Harris was surprisingly well suited to the role when this kicked off. Simple, consistent, straightforward messaging (aside from the 18 coronaviruses thing) and he was very visible. Terrible health minister overall though.

Stephen Donnelly is a rabbit in the headlights, and MM is doing a good job of becoming an invisible Taoiseach.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement