Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

People you need to be realistic.

When you're 20 you live for the weekend. For meeting people, for music, drinking, dancing, flirting. Thats all you care about. Does no one remember?

So you take that away for five months. And the longer it goes on the more it looks like it might go on and on and on. On the back of a virus that doesn't really concern you when you're 20.

And sure grandma is tucked away at home and hasn't left the house for 3 months anyway.

Of course buy-in is going to erode eventually. And of course it will start with the very young.

I'm way way past that sort of party and model covid citizen myself but I can understand it. Cant really blame them even. This simply isn't sustainable in so many ways. This is just one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

I'm commenting on the reaction of the videos mainly, but I do feel that the carry on caught on the video is very tame when you look at the conditions of some food bars in Dublin.

You can't be giving out about this carry on one night and then saying the virus is near dust the other.

I was in a Dublin bar/restaurant last weekend and I had a tighter squeeze on my way to the bathroom than the people in this video.

Don't sheep yourself down the social media hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,687 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

gmisk wrote: »
    MM was bumping elbows with Boris Johnson

I don't get it - he has been travelling more in the past month than LV did over the past 6 months

Some optics there for a useless Taoiseach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

They were originally near the back of the powerscourt I think but they have been at that location for at least a few years.

Let's see what happens to the them tomorrow, I'd say they will be made an example off and rightly so, it's not as if they don't have a lot previous

They were taken over by a well know pub/nightclub consortium who have been well know for all sorts of shenanigans over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

God, that video from the Dublin pub. Coming in on the night we have 200 new cases, the highest since May. Also community transmissions is rising.

If there's a person or more there and if there's a covid carrier and illness and covid19 spreads from that get together,

How can people who's breaking social distancing guidelines be trusted to do their civil duty and do the right thing if they become ill?
    How can they be trusted to self isolate if they don't feel well?
    How can they be trusted to call their GP and organise testing?

This is coming at a time where we are a few weeks away from the possibility of schools reopening and wet pubs reopening.

Covid19 cases is going to take off from here on in. In other countries there's hefty fines for breaking guidelines and there's nothing here.

When you're 20 you live for the weekend. For meeting people, for music, drinking, dancing, flirting. Thats all you care about. Does no one remember?

What has young people got to do with irresponsible business owners flouting the law?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,332 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

GooglePlus wrote: »
    I'm commenting on the reaction of the videos mainly, but I do feel that the carry on caught on the video is very tame when you look at the conditions of some food bars in Dublin.

You can't be giving out about this carry on one night and then saying the virus is near dust the other.

I was in a Dublin bar/restaurant last weekend and I had a tighter squeeze on my way to the bathroom than the people in this video.

I have been in quite a few pubs in Dublin since they re opened and had the opposite experience, they have put in a tonne of effort with distancing, hand sanitizer etc.

As has already been stated this particular place has been taking the piss for a while, crowded and opening late etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,666 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

So you take that away for five months. And the longer it goes on the more it looks like it might go on and on and on. On the back of a virus that doesn't really concern you when you're 20.

And sure grandma is tucked away at home and hasn't left the house for 3 months anyway.

Of course buy-in is going to erode eventually. And of course it will start with the very young.

I'm way way past that sort of party and model covid citizen myself but I can understand it. Cant really blame them even. This simply isn't sustainable in so many ways. This is just one of them.

I can understand that too. To a large extent you're fighting against human nature. But what do you do? Just say fck it and give up even trying to keep this thing under control?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭seanb85

Exactly, I've seen restaurant/pubs with 60 people in a small enough space for far longer than the 1 hr 45 slot. There's only about 15 people in that video.

• Advertisement

There was someone who I presume was a bartender standing on the bar/counter. That alone is enough to turn my stomach - completely unhygienic. What sh1te did he drag his feet into before doing that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭spookwoman

The world does not revolve around the 20 somethings and have different rules for them.

seanb85 wrote: »
    Exactly, I've seen restaurant/pubs with 60 people in a small enough space for far longer than the 1 hr 45 slot. There's only about 15 people in that video.

There's no video to be outraged at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,871 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

fritzelly wrote: »
    Queue that bar not getting another licence...or maybe

The vintners will probably blame the punters.. but I’d be surprised if the machinations of justice would come down on the businesses who are promoting and enabling this risk.. if in this country there was any semblance of a fair society that’s what’s happening.

Arghus wrote: »
    I can understand that too. To a large extent you're fighting against human nature. But what do you do? Just say fck it and give up even trying to keep this thing under control?

I don't know Arghus. But I'm pretty sure that we won't be able to ride this into 2021 waiting for a vaccine without seeing massive rifts in society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,659 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

owlbethere wrote: »
    There was someone who I presume was a bartender standing on the bar/counter. That alone is enough to turn my stomach - completely unhygienic. What sh1te did he drag his feet into before doing that?

Coyote Ugly style booze serving and dancing

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    The vintners will probably blame the punters.. but I’d be surprised if the machinations of justice would come down on the businesses who are promoting and enabling this risk.. if in this country there was any semblance of a fair society that’s what’s happening.
    It's already been mentioned they aren't members of the LVA.

spookwoman wrote: »
    The world does not revolve around the 20 somethings and have different rules for them.

Thats right but for them it does.

Politely ignoring the enabling aspect...

I don't know Arghus. But I'm pretty sure that we won't be able to ride this into 2021 waiting for a vaccine without seeing massive rifts in society.

I agree. But I think we'll all have a different attitude to this, for better or worse, depending on how Winter goes. We're only at the beginning of Act Two right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,659 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is it time for Dublin lockdown

LOKDown

• Advertisement

It's evident from these threads that people are fed up of the entire situation they're in, so an outlet has to be found. It's only natural for people to get angry at a video like that but you can't be making your mind up after a few seconds and potentially see another business being ran into the ground because of this, while Posh Le Boeuf next door is bursting at the seams.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is it time for Dublin lockdown

LOKDown

D'LOKdown

Thats right but for them it does.

It doesn't matter what they think. We have TD's who think they are above everyone else, giving themselves pay rises etc. I don't hear anyone complaining about the publics outrage at that

If genuine the place should be levelled by bulldozer at first light in the morning, then in the afternoon level the owners house.

Problem is, when there is no serious deterrent....this is the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,236 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Zero Covid is dreamland - only people calling for it are in nice paying jobs that will still be nice paying jobs if the country is locked down

You only have to look at every country in the world to see even when you think you have it under control there is a multitude of silent carriers ready to pass it on

I just love that now when you mention zero Covid some of the people who are saying " look at New Zealand " and " how this virus is impossible to control " etc.
    2 months ago these people were saying " why lockdown like those zero Covid nuts want when this virus is nothing , is only a mild flu , is finite and fading out" , "
    ( paraphrasing here ...not exact quotations )

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Coyote Ugly style booze serving and dancing

It's lame and sad for sure. Probably badly wanting to star in their own movies with their fake American accents and ridiculous fat lips, no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,565 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If the Healy-Rae's get visibility of those clips from tonight there will be some fun.

You do realize that pre covid that's a regular thing?

When I worked pub doors back in the 90s it was common enough to have a girl.lay on.the bar and a barman on top pouring a drink by simulating having a ride. Had to put a stop to it in the bar I worked in Cork city due to the amount of rows it caused with their boyfriends and the latest case being one of them smashing a bottle over the head of the barman.

I take it you're not known as a party animal. ;)

It's evident from these threads that people are fed up of the entire situation they're in, so an outlet has to be found. It's only natural for people to get angry at a video like that but you can't be making your mind up after a few seconds and potentially seeing another business being ran into the ground because of this, while Posh Le Boeuf next door is bursting at the seams.
    This place has form for taking the piss, opening late, packed etc, it's also more than just a few seconds, there are multiple videos, more than just the 5/6 on Twitter.

Tell me more about posh le boeuf....I do love a steak...lol

Restaurants I have been in have made a massive effort to space tables, plexi glass, hand sanitizer, limit numbers etc
    I have been in fallon and Byrne and darwin's in last few weeks, both terrific.

• Advertisement

Problem is, when there is no serious deterrent....this is the result.

Like the stupid mask fine - 2500 euro - that's not a deterrent, you know it will never happen
    Now if you say e.g. 60 euro well you think hmmm that might actually happen

Same with all the fines that were introduced - pure fantasy land fines that look good on paper but ultimately unenforceable as you would end up taking people to court to get the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I am shocked at the person defending the pub! Oh wait, no I’m not.

Like the stupid mask fine - 2500 euro - that's not a deterrent, you know it will never happen
    Now if you say e.g. 60 euro well you think hmmm that might actually happen

Same with all the fines that were introduced - pure fantasy land fines that look good on paper but ultimately unenforceable as you would end up taking people to court to get the money
    Very true.
    In other countries like france they have doled out hundreds of thousands of fines.

How many have been handed out here? Any at all?

It's evident from these threads that people are fed up of the entire situation they're in, so an outlet has to be found. It's only natural for people to get angry at a video like that but you can't be making your mind up after a few seconds and potentially see another business being ran into the ground because of this, while Posh Le Boeuf next door is bursting at the seams.

We are alllll fed up, being ‘fed up’ is part of life at times. Ok majorly fed up,but you’ll be a lot more fed up, lying on your back on a fûcking ventilator, or watching a loved one seriously sick or worse... so let’s discard...Fed up, mental health, economy to the dustbin FULL of excuses.... wise up and do what’s necessary..

I have to say, I’m not one for apportioning blame, but the younger tribes are not and have not been covering themselves in glory throughout this.. an outlet can be a plot in a cemetery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

It's life really isn't it. There's a part of me that's disgusted by it but also feel its shameful to ridiculing people enjoying themselves. We all should be living life to the full, it's kind of sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,944 ✭✭✭growleaves

Arghus wrote: »

The problem was created when they (whoever they are) chose theoretical containment measures which are impossible to sustain in practice.

Lots of people ignore social distancing.

Logically, consistent social distancing on the part of everyone in the medium to longish term would destroy human society (think about it)

The measures 'work' in part by their being ignored. Imagine how difficult they would be if all people were really bothering to follow them all the time (which will never happen)

The madness of the situation has been created by the experts, and their followers, who adopt inherently anti-human practices and insist they are the only barrier to mass death.

Very true.
    In other countries like france they have doled out hundreds of thousands of fines.

How many have been handed out here? Any at all?

None - taken to court citing their human rights been offended

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Glad we feel the same way about the letter!
    I'd love to see a discussion on it, having a panel from both sides argue their point.
    We're use to debates about elections and referendums, which will shape our future. But with Covid, there's not much. The current government haven't really a clue about a road map out if it . All they shout about is opening schools.... what happens next?
    The opposition are extremely silent, literally non existent, then again I could say the same about our new government. There's a night and day difference between this one and the previous one.

Yes. Slyly putting everything on to a younger Acting CMO and NPHET , while keeping a toe in both camps gauging public opinion all the while .
    For all the pr gaffs at least the other guys just called it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Yeah except they can get it just as bad. It only lives if transmits. We need to stop the transmission. Air / coughing /sneezing/surfaces etc. I didn't stay at home so someone goes ape**** in a bar.

https://twitter.com/Cleavon_MD/status/1294759156109332480?s=20

• Advertisement

This place has form for taking the piss, opening late, packed etc, it's also more than just a few seconds, there are multiple videos, more than just the 5/6 on Twitter.

Tell me more about posh le boeuf....I do love a steak...lol

Restaurants I have been in have made a massive effort to space tables, plexi glass, hand sanitizer, limit numbers etc
    I have been in fallon and Byrne and darwin's in last few weeks, both terrific.

Seems to be multiple videos of the same time of the night.

Can't fault either of those two businesses you mentioned either, but they're just two of many others that are currently open.

An experience of my own for you, two separate restaurants in the city centre that were allowing drink orders without food being ordered, as long as you were eventually planning on eating something. These places were wedged, busier than they would have been pre covid.

They didn't have an eegit of a barman dance on the bar though, so they're safe.

Pretty sure you've used this line for somebody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

We are alllll fed up, being ‘fed up’ is part of life at times. Ok majorly fed up,but you’ll be a lot more fed up, lying on your back on a fûcking ventilator, or watching a loved one seriously sick or worse... so let’s discard...Fed up, mental health, economy to the dustbin FULL of excuses.... wise up and do what’s necessary..

I have to say, I’m not one for apportioning blame, but the younger tribes are not and have not been covering themselves in glory throughout this.. an outlet can be a plot in a cemetery.

Nasty post directed at a demographic who have lost so much.

They lost no more than anyone else.

growleaves wrote: »
    The problem was created when they (whoever they are) chose theoretical containment measures which are impossible to sustain in practice.

Logically, consistent social distancing on the part of everyone in the medium to longish term would destroy human society (think about it)

The measures 'work' in part by their being ignored. Imagine how difficult they would be if all people were really bothering to follow them all the time (which will never happen)

The madness of the situation has been created by the experts, and their followers, who adopt inherently anti-human practices and insist they are the only barrier to mass death.

Your argument against social distancing is that taken to its absolute extreme it would bring about the end of the human race?

I can't fault the logic in that I suppose, but it's also a completely daft statement.

"The measures 'work' in part by their being ignored". I'm sorry? What?

I'm lost at on what the disgust is about the post quoted (but I'm at home and had quite a few cans)

• Advertisement

growleaves wrote: »

This virus is anti human, it’s trying to infect us all, it will kill some of us, make others seriously ill..

The only way we can help it in its goal ? Ignore what we’ve been asked ! The FIRST instinct of humanity is self preservation ... followed by sexual & social.. so that self preservation has to win out against the other urges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

spookwoman wrote: »
    They lost not more than anyone else.

Actually they have, loss of education, social interaction, experiences those of us in our 30's/40's etc took for granted. They also will suffer through a historic recession. Before it's pointed out the dead feel nothing, or can hear the living.

Actually they have, loss of education, social interaction, experiences those of us in our 30's/40's etc took for granted. They also will suffer through a historic recession. Before it's pointed out the dead feel nothing, or can hear the living.

Poor things diddums

(let's forget people not seeing their relatives buried, seeing their grandma and so on and so on but foregoing a night in a bar is an affront on their civil liberties)

No they were not jammers. Crowds congregated in the area near them and the Garda Commissioner confirmed it was a public order issue and not a pub licensing violation.

This particular one opened first night and jammed them in.
    Guards went in and remonstrated with the owner .

You actually asked me to come back to you in two weeks time when I said we'd have more than 100 cases again and you thought I was mad.

Your credibility is decreasing as fast as our case numbers are increasing, I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement