Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Actually they have, loss of education, social interaction, experiences those of us in our 30's/40's etc took for granted. They also will suffer through a historic recession. Before it's pointed out the dead feel nothing, or can hear the living.

And other age groups don't got to college / classes? Other age groups don't socially interact? Other age groups don't suffer from mental illnesses through no interaction with people. It's not just 30/40's that took that for granted, all age groups did.
    Everyone will be affected by the recession not just one age group.
    I would say your posts are pretty selfish considering you only seem to be thinking of one age group.

We are all in this together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,332 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Actually they have, loss of education, social interaction, experiences those of us in our 30's/40's etc took for granted. They also will suffer through a historic recession. Before it's pointed out the dead feel nothing, or can hear the living.
    Loss of education, ok schools were closed what a few months early? If the predicted grades system works (and I know it's a big if...) No harm really done long term imo. Id say a lot of people delighted to not have to sit exams tbh. Some young ones on the radio saying how it has damaged their mental health...really need some perspective

We have all reduced social interactions.
    Younger people look to have been more likely to ignore the advice from what I have seen. You just need to look at the parties at promenades and similar in past number of months, or the covid student party houses in cork.

We are all going to suffer through a recession...I have suffered through quite a few before as well.

The elderly are clearly the biggest age demographic that are having the hardest time during all this imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,944 ✭✭✭growleaves

Arghus wrote: »
    Your argument against social distancing is that taken to its absolute extreme it would bring about the end of the human race?

I can't fault the logic in that I suppose, but it's also a completely daft statement.

By taken to an 'absolute extreme' , I mean just practiced consistently.

No not the human race, human society.

Can you have the continuing existence of societies if everyone were to stay 2M apart at all times? No of course not. The question is how soon can SD be abandoned.

But of course many/most people have already spontaneously abandoned it.
    The measures 'work' in part by their being ignored". I'm sorry? What?

I mean that if people really did practice SD consistently it would break down much quicker than the current situation. Which is that the widespread ignoring of SD masks its inherent impossibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

any data yet on reinfections?
    A family member who had a mild case has had confirmed lesions on the lungs for an xray for something unrelated.

What happens when someone gets it a second time? you can have a flu more than once a year for instance.

Would a second dose of covid floor someone who even had a mild dose 1st time around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,871 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Goldengirl wrote: »
    This particular one opened first night and jammed them in.
    Guards went in and remonstrated with the owner .

Is the Gardai ‘remonstrating’ a deterrent ? Next time Gardai are called to a bank robbery... “ I say good chap, that’s a very big one you have there, spring loaded ? Ohhh very nice, you cock it well, now then, would you mind awfully putting it away, might scare the old dear looking for to make a lodgment herself...

Or

“We’ve been observing here 15 minutes, no effort is being made to comply with legislation as relates to covid, so I’m ordering you to stop serving, shut down, close up, give me your name and the managers plus contacts... “

Ok I’m not a legal person but I’d imagine under legislation it’s possible? If there was ANY resistance to the Gardai doing their job, either physical, verbal, judges can cancel license... good luck and fûck em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,236 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

People you need to be realistic.

When you're 20 you live for the weekend. For meeting people, for music, drinking, dancing, flirting. Thats all you care about. Does no one remember?

So you take that away for five months. And the longer it goes on the more it looks like it might go on and on and on. On the back of a virus that doesn't really concern you when you're 20.

And sure grandma is tucked away at home and hasn't left the house for 3 months anyway.

Of course buy-in is going to erode eventually. And of course it will start with the very young.

I'm way way past that sort of party and model covid citizen myself but I can understand it. Cant really blame them even. This simply isn't sustainable in so many ways. This is just one of them.

I agree with you on this !

But not all 20 somethings or even 20 year olds would be as reckless as this atm , unless encouraged by some greedy bxxxxxd pub owner who only cares about coining it in .
    Yes it is hard on the young but give them credit for having some sense and staying power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,687 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Blanco100 wrote: »
    any data yet on reinfections?
    A family member who had a mild case has had confirmed lesions on the lungs for an xray for something unrelated.

What happens when someone gets it a second time? you can have a flu more than once a year for instance.

Would a second dose of covid floor someone who even had a mild dose 1st time around?

Nothing stops you catching a virus over and over again regardless antibodies.
    Latest research shows the body maintains a memory of the virus and can easily fight it off if it makes it into your body
    So even if you had it mild the first time the second and subsequent times you will likely not even notice you have it.

(the flu is a different kind of virus...)

But not all 20 somethings or even 20 year olds would be as reckless as this atm , unless encouraged by some greedy bxxxxxd pub owner who only cares about coining it in .
    Yes it is hard on the young but give them credit for having some sense and staying power.

Some do and some don't, but that's not exclusive to 20 year olds and younger, as can be seen around the country and on here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

owlbethere wrote: »
    God, that video from the Dublin pub. Coming in on the night we have 200 new cases, the highest since May. Also community transmissions is rising.

If there's a person or more there and if there's a covid carrier and illness and covid19 spreads from that get together,

How can people who's breaking social distancing guidelines be trusted to do their civil duty and do the right thing if they become ill?
    How can they be trusted to self isolate if they don't feel well?
    How can they be trusted to call their GP and organise testing?

This is coming at a time where we are a few weeks away from the possibility of schools reopening and wet pubs reopening.

Covid19 cases is going to take off from here on in. In other countries there's hefty fines for breaking guidelines and there's nothing here.

Simple answer is they can`t. Hence the need for stricter penalties and enforcement of same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

growleaves wrote: »

Can you have the continuing existence of societies if everyone were to stay 2M apart at all times? No of course not. The question is how soon can SD be abandoned.

4 to 6 week lockdown then we can all get on with our lives.

Then you can dance on as many bars as you are allowed.

Only catch is it must be an actual one with border checks etc.

Of course that won't happen (yet) so people who believe that social distancing is bollox will have to take responsibility for their actions. If they send their kids to school and they get sick they might update their opinion.

Just as the people who continue to prevent transmission are responsible for their actions. If they keep kids out and everything is grand then they are responsible for the loss in education. The gov is not necessarily going to be responsible for either of your actions.

• Advertisement

Simple answer is they can`t. Hence the need for stricter penalties and enforcement of same.

Not directed at you but with the 30% or so of people refusing tests (which has only been pointed out now that most positives are in the <45 age group) how many were men?
    They are the ones to typically plead ignorance to medical matters

Maybe ACE knows

Totally pointless time frame
    Could be circulating in the same family/friend unit and you could still have people just starting their cycle at the end of it

Need to be looking at the Chinese version of a lockdown for anything resembling eradicating it

The problem was created when they (whoever they are) chose theoretical containment measures which are impossible to sustain in practice.

Lots of people ignore social distancing.

Logically, consistent social distancing on the part of everyone in the medium to longish term would destroy human society (think about it)

The measures 'work' in part by their being ignored. Imagine how difficult they would be if all people were really bothering to follow them all the time (which will never happen)

The madness of the situation has been created by the experts, and their followers, who adopt inherently anti-human practices and insist they are the only barrier to mass death.

Ah now , most of us here have been saying how sad and hard this is socially for young 20 somethings who have not the life experience we have and have to sacrifice something they haven't even experienced properly yet ..
    You however are just banging on about what you do , what you want and how you just can't put up with the restrictions on your life anymore .
    Well guess what , tough sxxx, you I presume are an adult , act like one and quit whinging all the time !
    Anti human , ffs. As if following your logic would be pro !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This seems to becoming more and more clear, immunity is sustained.
    Link to facts please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

If there wasn't a pub owner facilitating it then it would happen somewhere else. I'm actually 100% certain it does happen in many places around the country right this moment and its not just 20 year olds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Then you can dance on as many bars as you are allowed.

Only catch is it must be an actual one with border checks etc.

One of the funniest posts I have seen, there is no way to eliminate this virus with a lockdown, we have to learn to live with it, and ensure our medical system doesn't get overrun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,666 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

But of course many/most people have already spontaneously abandoned it.

I mean that if people really did practice SD consistently it would break down much quicker than the current situation. Which is that the widespread ignoring of SD masks its inherent impossibility.

Okay, abandon SD so. What do you envisage as the outcome in that case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,944 ✭✭✭growleaves

Ah now , most of us here have been saying how sad and hard this is socially for young 20 somethings who have not the life experience we have and have to sacrifice something they haven't even experienced properly yet ..
    You however are just banging on about what you do , what you want and how you just can't put up with the restrictions on your life anymore .
    Well guess what , tough sxxx, you I presume are an adult , act like one and quit whinging all the time !
    Anti human , ffs. As if following your logic would be pro !

I haven't mentioned myself at all, or said I couldn't put up with restrictions, I've only spoken in the abstract about the impossibility in practice of unworkable restrictions.

I think you're assuming that I'm projecting from personal experience.

Like I said, I'm discussing it in the abstract and in fact the poster I replied to (Arghus) mentioned being unable to socially distance at work, which I mention not as some gotcha moment but to underline what I'm saying. It isn't about me, it's about the nature of the theoretical containment methods.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    Is the Gardai ‘remonstrating’ a deterrent ? Next time Gardai are called to a bank robbery... “ I say good chap, that’s a very big one you have there, spring loaded ? Ohhh very nice, you cock it well, now then, would you mind awfully putting it away, might scare the old dear looking for to make a lodgment herself...

Or

“We’ve been observing here 15 minutes, no effort is being made to comply with legislation as relates to covid, so I’m ordering you to stop serving, shut down, close up, give me your name and the managers plus contacts... “

Ok I’m not a legal person but I’d imagine under legislation it’s possible? If there was ANY resistance to the Gardai doing their job, either physical, verbal, judges can cancel license... good luck and fûck em.

I don't know what the exact words were but it was on here or maybe the other thread and the guard had a good go at the guy in the manner of the 2 nd phrasing you have there !
    It was quite entertaining, for all except the owner , that is , by the account I heard .
    Bar manager maybe , not sure if it was the owner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,871 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

An old republican right wing nut job and Trump worshipper. No surprise. This is what the most influential democracy in the world looks like, folks.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Nothing stops you catching a virus over and over again regardless antibodies.
    Latest research shows the body maintains a memory of the virus and can easily fight it off if it makes it into your body
    So even if you had it mild the first time the second and subsequent times you will likely not even notice you have it.

(the flu is a different kind of virus...)

Link? Please.

Link? Please.

Posted earlier in the thread

Edit: Here ye go
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114314087&postcount=2280

I am actually beginning to get a bit think with this zero covid lockdown nonsense.

First of all our poster boy has just failed with that strategy. The guys who are one of the most remote island nations who had a draconian lockdown and full travel quarantine and test regimes. They're going for it again and they'll fail again. What was that definition of insanity again?

Secondly what the hell were they thinking in the first place?
    All the medical experts except for some fruitcakes like that Cork lad acknowledge that Pandora is out of her box and that's that. Which has been confirmed by every single different approach that any country so far has undertaken.

If there wasn't a pub owner facilitating it then it would happen somewhere else. I'm actually 100% certain it does happen in many places around the country right this moment and its not just 20 year olds.

If you are talking about house parties maybe yeah .
    But let's face it not normal behaviour in most pubs now , is it ?

• Advertisement

What about reinfection every six months? Would that change people’s mind on finding a way to zero covid?

https://twitter.com/business/status/1293808272856756224?s=21

Quite the opposite, In any case its not about wishful thinking. Its about what's possible. Coronavirus. Like the common cold. What would you think of our chances of eliminating the common cold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,666 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I haven't mentioned myself at all, or said I couldn't put up with restrictions, I've only spoken in the abstract about the impossibility in practice of unworkable restrictions.

I think you're assuming that I'm projecting from personal experience.

Like I said, I'm discussing it in the abstract and in fact the poster I replied to (Arghus) mentioned being unable to socially distance at work, which I mention not as some gotcha moment but to underline what I'm saying. It isn't about me, it's about the nature of the theoretical containment methods.

Everyone knows that social distancing isn't possible in each and every setting. The point isn't 100% adherence, 100% of the time because that's impossible.

But because that's impossible it doesn't follow that SD on the whole is a waste of a time and if practiced by enough people enough of the time it doesn't play a massive role in slowing the spread of an infectious disease.

fritzelly wrote: »

Thanks .
    Very difficult read , but very promising stuff . Small study n 15 with 17 control but would be interesting to see in a larger , longitudinal study , and when peer reviewed
    Interesting in 2nd one it is claimed that even family contacts who were antibody seronegative developed some signs of protective T cell activity .
    Good to think that there might be immunity developing but we can't rely on herd immunity when it is so deadly for some .

Interesting in 2nd one it is claimed that even family contacts who were antibody seronegative developed some signs of protective T cell activity .

Likely low level infection but you would need to ask someone more qualified in the matter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I am actually beginning to get a bit think with this zero covid lockdown nonsense.

First of all our poster boy has just failed with that strategy. The guys who are one of the most remote island nations who had a draconian lockdown and full travel quarantine and test regimes. They're going for it again and they'll fail again. What was that definition of insanity again?

They have 22 deaths and had 10 months of basically a fully open economy. There was always going to be another case popping up that they'd have to chase out of the country and that's where they're at now. This wasn't unexpected. They haven't failed and they are 100% in a better position than we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Quite the opposite, In any case its not about wishful thinking. Its about what's possible. Coronavirus. Like the common cold. What would you think of our chances of eliminating the common cold?
    Why isn't it possible? Scotland are pursuing a zero covid strategy and want the rest of the UK to join them. No reason we can't get on board with that too. I'm honestly starting to think it's a matter of time and the longer we wait the more harm we're going to do.

Secondly what the hell were they thinking in the first place?
    All the medical experts except for some fruitcakes like that Cork lad acknowledge that Pandora is out of her box and that's that. Which has been confirmed by every single different approach that any country so far has undertaken.

Al the medical experts do not think that this cannot be put back in its box , just that it will take time , more restrictions, and test and trace .
    Sure you were calling for " open all up , there is no virus back in May " !

Morrison J wrote: »
    Why isn't it possible? Scotland are pursuing a zero covid strategy and want the rest of the UK to join them. No reason we can't get on board with that too. I'm honestly starting to think it's a matter of time and the longer we wait the more harm we're going to do.

And if Scotland can try it with a land border with the UK , it should be possible for us to also.
    But doubt if FF would have the bxxxs to try it in case they lose some votes over it .

I'm looking forward to Contagion II now that writers have seen what way people actually react to a pandemic.

"Wear masks. It's a respiratory disease. They obviously help."
    "No!"

"We should try to eradicate it."
    "No!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I'm looking forward to Contagion II now that writers have seen what way people actually react to a pandemic.

"Wear masks. It's a respiratory disease. They obviously help."
    "No!"

"We should try to eradicate it."
    "No!"

The next zombie movie is just a load of people saying that there are no zombies, they don't know anyone who's become a zombie, zombie bites are no worse than mosquito bites, all while screaming at a 17 year old in a shop..........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 NK76

It's time people realised that we need to bring all this talk of covid to an end. it is clearly obvious that covid is over...in fact it didn't really exist...our lives need to return to normal, we need to be able to go to the shops, football matches, nights out at the weekends...the psychological damage of this fake flu is far worse than reality...its fear mongering of the highest order.....

...let's get back to normal...take back control...reclaim the momentum ...and look at it again in two months when the kids are back in school and football season has started.....then we will know where we are

Come on let's stand in the face of this adversity and reclaim our lives

hynesie08 wrote: »
    people saying that there are no zombies
    NK76 wrote: »
    in fact it didn't really exist...

Your ilk are an inspiration, NK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 NK76

Your ilk are an inspiration, NK.

No I'm prepared to live without fear...and so should you....because there is nothing yo fear apart from the mass hysteria that is filling peoples empty lives....its chaos theory in its purest form

Ebola I would fear....but the common flu I will not

The biggest concern is the spotlight it has cast on the mass populations emotional redundancy and need to connect with this fake fear

Stand up men and women and crack on ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

wadacrack wrote: »

Sounds like the first test could have been a false positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Ineedaname wrote: »
    Sounds like the first test could have been a false positive.

Not sure, its becoming more common now that people are becoming infected a 2nd time. Immunity to this virus still very unclear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,285 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

NK76 wrote: »
    It's time people realised that we need to bring all this talk of covid to an end. it is clearly obvious that covid is over...in fact it didn't really exist...our lives need to return to normal, we need to be able to go to the shops, football matches, nights out at the weekends...the psychological damage of this fake flu is far worse than reality...its fear mongering of the highest order.....

...let's get back to normal...take back control...reclaim the momentum ...and look at it again in two months when the kids are back in school and football season has started.....then we will know where we are

Come on let's stand in the face of this adversity and reclaim our lives

Fake flu?

I had planned to write more but I can't stop laughing....take back control..:D....

That planet you're on must be great craic.

wadacrack wrote: »
    Not sure, its becoming more common now that people are becoming infected a 2nd time. Immunity to this virus still very unclear

You can’t get this twice. We need to stop spreading this disinformation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Is there official confirmation of this?
    How could we know you can’t get it twice?
    Immunity can only be 8 months old at this stage.
    What’s to say immunity only lasts a year?
    We just don’t know yet so stop saying you know!

I don't know. I don't like this reposting of random bad news myself but why cant you get this twice? Its a corona virus like the common cold. Surely you had a cold twice in your life?

Good morning

I don't know. I don't like this reposting of random bad news myself but why cant you get this twice? Its a corona virus like the common cold. Surely you had a cold twice in your life?

Good morning

Most common colds are not coronaviruses. Since there are like 200 strains of common cold, maybe we're immune to the ones we've had. How often have you had the cold and your wife say not get it.. Pretty often.

Good morning

Sure, if it mutates into a new virus.

There’s zero evidence to suggest you can get Covid 19 twice. There’s a ton of evidence to suggest immunity - falling deaths in every location the virus has previous impacted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭jackboy

tom1ie wrote: »
    Is there official confirmation of this?
    How could we know you can’t get it twice?
    Immunity can only be 8 months old at this stage.
    What’s to say immunity only lasts a year?
    We just don’t know yet so stop saying you know!

Despite the large number of infected worldwide there is no conclusive evidence of someone getting infected twice. There are a relatively small amount of cases where there is two positive tests but this is more likely due to a false positive or the virus still in the system

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement