Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

tom1ie wrote: »
    Is there official confirmation of this?
    How could we know you can’t get it twice?

You realise the only way to prove it can't happen is to intentionally try and reinfect someone who had it?

Let's go with the whole millions of cases and no notable or confirmed reinfections, and at this stage, even if there are some, it's almost certainly a problem with the person's immune system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

wadacrack wrote: »
    Not sure, its becoming more common now that people are becoming infected a 2nd time. Immunity to this virus still very unclear

It's really not. Those are anecdotal stories with no context and no independent verification. As I said before when you look into the rates of false positives it becomes more clear.

As the saying goes extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence. So far regarding reinfection there's been nothing close to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Longing

I wonder is it possible to code in 2metres distance software into the HSE detection app on your phone. It would be pretty handy for deterring people breathing down your neck at a checkout or anywhere. Even better again voice activated. Phone does all for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

NK76 wrote: »
    No I'm prepared to live without fear...and so should you....because there is nothing yo fear apart from the mass hysteria that is filling peoples empty lives....its chaos theory in its purest form

Ebola I would fear....but the common flu I will not

The biggest concern is the spotlight it has cast on the mass populations emotional redundancy and need to connect with this fake fear

Stand up men and women and crack on ...

Is that you gemma?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Longing wrote: »
    I wonder is it possible to code in 2metres distance software into the HSE detection app on your phone. It would be pretty handy for deterring people breathing down your neck at a checkout or anywhere. Even better again voice activated. Phone does all for you.

Don't really need an app for that you could just say it yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Longing

Oranage2 wrote: »

Yep. Saying it constantly at this stage.

Longing wrote: »
    Yep. Saying it constantly at this stage.

Invest in a blowhorn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Gruffalox wrote: »
    Back of envelope figures now to cheer everyone up...

Fact is we are catching waaaayy more cases than we used to. Not 100% but a lot.

Since end of February we have recorded 27000 cases to round it up.

But antibody suggestions and other guesses say we used to be catching about 10%of cases. Surveys showing 5% antibodies in population of Ireland in or around, or 10 times 27000 already notified are both around the 270,000 mark.

Let's just say 270,000 people have gotten this since March.
    March - June - let's say we were getting our sh1t together re testing, and since July we have been finding most of the cases in the country.

March to June is 120 days or so. 270000 divided by 120 is 2200.

So...if we had been having daily reports of true numbers with Covid since March every day we could have been told 2200 people have tested positive and every day we could have run around the house screaming.

200 today, when we are catching most - which I hope we are - is a lot, LOT better than what we have already journeyed through, unknowingly.

I am quoting meself, a disgraceful display, but can anyone go through this and tell me if this is incorrect. I just told my theory to my husband who listened patiently and said okay, and I said so it is correct ? and he said I don't know but please don't start from the beginning again. :D

So the 2200 daily cases we have come through invisibly since March would have been reported, if testing worked like it does now in an ascending and descending graph that could even have peaked with many thousands ecery day for weeks eg just showing a sample day out of each of the 20 weeks March to end June...to reach 270000 cases..

50, 100, 200, 300, 1000, 2000, 1800, 500, 3500, 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, 2000, 1000, 500, 300, 400, 200, 100, etc

Any people who are good at maths tell me where or if this is incorrect please?

And if plausible doesn't it make 200 cases when we are picking up most cases A LOT BETTER than what we have come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭pennydreadful

Sure, if it mutates into a new virus.

There’s zero evidence to suggest you can get Covid 19 twice. There’s a ton of evidence to suggest immunity - falling deaths in every location the virus has previous impacted.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53315983

A study of 60,000 Spanish people, a country with one of the highest instances of Covid, suggests that herd immunity is not possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Invest in a blowhorn?

Download Air Horn (for Android) :Dhttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ivandigital.airhorn

• Advertisement

I am quoting meself, a disgraceful display, but can anyone go through this and tell me if this is incorrect. I just told my theory to my husband who listened patiently and said okay, and I said so it is correct ? and he said I don't know but please don't start from the beginning again. :D

So the 2200 daily cases we have come through invisibly since March would have been reported, if testing worked like it does now in an ascending and descending graph that could even have peaked with many thousands ecery day for weeks eg just showing a sample day out of each of the 20 weeks March to end June...to reach 270000 cases..

50, 100, 200, 300, 1000, 2000, 1800, 500, 3500, 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, 2000, 1000, 500, 300, 400, 200, 100, etc

And if plausible doesn't it make 200 cases when we are picking up most cases A LOT BETTER than what we have come through.

How do you know we're picking up most cases? If that were true we'd be seeing reduced numbers, right know we're just testing known clusters and outbreaks and then people that possibly had contact with those. Plus anyone having symptoms.

It takes up to two weeks so we're possibly 2 weeks behind every big cluster and as it's looking these aren't showing any symptoms so nobody is reporting feeling sick until it's too late.

A study of 60,000 Spanish people, a country with one of the highest instances of Covid, suggests that herd immunity is not possible

I'm not a proponent of herd immunity but some research was posted a while back that found the t-cell b-cell immunity in people with no antibodies I believe. The antibodies metric isn't a good indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Saying something doesn’t always mean it will get through.

I was at the checkout in Dunnes the other day and the woman had to repeat five or six times to the next in line step back and not put their groceries on the belt. People are also not obeying the two metre rule.

So I can understand the desire for an alarm.

I also saw two guys greet each other by touching elbows. Isn’t that defeating the purpose of not shaking hands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭jackboy

That is based on antibody tests which building evidence suggests are not a good indicator of immunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'm not a proponent of herd immunity but some research was posted a while back that found the t-cell b-cell immunity in people with no antibodies I believe. The antibodies metric isn't a good indicator.
    It's just used for general mapping of the prevalence of disease not for medical outcomes. It's never going to be hugely accurate anyway. T-cell level testing I believe is a lot more difficult to do. Maybe some of the producers of spurious rapid tests could focus their efforts there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

At the moment it seems everyone can find a study to support a point of view.

blade1 wrote: »

Good suggestion but I would like an app that actually tells people they are violating my personal space.

This isn’t because of Covid. Just something I want.

Prior to smart phones and apps I was hoping someone would develop personal force field projectors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

jackboy wrote: »
    That is based on antibody tests which building evidence suggests are not a good indicator of immunity.
    There's a general acceptance that the body responding to viruses offers a level of immunity, how long is the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

I don't think testing and contact tracing works here as it should

At the moment it seems everyone can find a study to support a point of view.

For Covid maybe.

Where is the study to show my siblings that they c a not see the obvious?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Ineedaname wrote: »
    It's really not. Those are anecdotal stories with no context and no independent verification. As I said before when you look into the rates of false positives it becomes more clear.

As the saying goes extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence. So far regarding reinfection there's been nothing close to that.

My kid went to nursery and got lots of colds. We subsequently got lots of colds. Were one or more of the colds caused by corona viruses ? Probably.
    Now when I was a lad I also go loads of colds.

This not possible to reinfected is a pipe dream. Easy to state categorically 6 months after a new pathogen emerges.

I’m all for hypothesises but I wouldn’t recommend going through that to prove a point.
    Colds tend to occur on a yearly basis and we have not even had a full cold season with this thing.

The good news is we are about to find out so by December next year we should be able to answer this question at least.

By all means continuing saying ‘evidence’ and ‘impossible’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Good suggestion but I would like an app that actually tells people they are violating my personal space.

This isn’t because of Covid. Just something I want.

Prior to smart phones and apps I was hoping someone would develop personal force field projectors.
    Your phone doesn't have sensors that can accurately tell you if someone is less than 2m from you.

It would be more frustrating than useful, it would be going off both too often and not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Ineedaname wrote: »

No certainity at all there.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (#CDC) backtracked guidance it issued earlier this month, maintaining that people are not immune to reinfection to the coronavirus after recovering from the disease.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/512145-cdc-backtracks-guidance-on-three-month-window-of-immunity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭jackboy

SeaBreezes wrote: »

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (#CDC) backtracked guidance it issued earlier this month, maintaining that people are not immune to reinfection to the coronavirus after recovering from the disease.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/512145-cdc-backtracks-guidance-on-three-month-window-of-immunity

It seems like their old advice was based on assessment but their new advice is based on proof (or the lack of proof). There is so much about the virus that is not definitively proven but there is lots of data which we can use for assessments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: Deleted User, pleas don't post in the thread again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

SeaBreezes wrote: »

They backtracked because it was confusing and implied absolute immunity in all cases for 3 months.

There is no data at the moment to indicate that reinfection is possible in the general sense.

That's where we are. The data so far indicates that a general immunity exists for 3 months after infection, and possibly more.

Nobody is making any definite statements though because there is still lots more data to gather.

But as of right now, we have zero confirmed reinfections in otherwise healthy individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

This not possible to reinfected is a pipe dream. Easy to state categorically 6 months after a new pathogen emerges.

I never said anything about reinfection being impossible. I'd be very surprised if it was. We've just not seen any hard evidence yet to support it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

A breakdown of additional cases for some towns in Kildare between June and now (when the geographical dashboard was updated)

Leixlip, Celbridge and Kilcock getting a raw deal in lockdown.

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    A breakdown of additional cases for some towns in Kildare between June and now (when the geographical dashboard was updated)

Leixlip, Celbridge and Kilcock getting a raw deal in lockdown.

Indeed. Is Kildare village still open?

xhomelezz wrote: »
    I don't think testing and contact tracing works here as it should

It is not perfect for sure, but it is exponentially better than it was in March and April. There are not the old limits on people going for a test that there were. The turnaround time may not be ideal - I know someone tested recently and the time from test to result was 74 hours.
    But I still think we are picking up a lot more now and that figures of positives in March abd April would have been multiples higher if we had todays testing in place.
    Could be wrong.

Indeed. Is Kildare village still open?

It is... And I can drive down to it from Celbridge and go shopping, into the heart of darkness... But Liffey valley is off limits.

A different way of looking at my theory -

Seroprevalence preliminary results in July suggest 5% have had it. It is repeated globally minus hotspots.

(Leave the unproven T cell thing for a minute. Antibodies would at least linger for a few months).

5% of 5 million is 250,000.
    One of our highest ever case totals reported was mid April at about 1000. 1013 on 14th April.
    We have 27000 cases reported.
    Multiply the daily cases reports by 9 to get "true" figures to reflect researched seroprevalence. 27000 x 9 = 234000.
    14th April should have read 9000 cases that day.
    Etc etc.

Which if we are still doing as badly catching cases would mean yesterday = 1800. But I do not think testing in April is comparable to testing in August.

Don't worry. I am done now explicating my fabulous theory! :) Damn, it's such a good theory though!

Seroprevalence preliminary results in July suggest 5% have had it. It is repeated globally minus hotspots.

(Leave the unproven T cell thing for a minute. Antibodies would at least linger for a few months).

One of our highest ever case totals reported was mid April at about 1000. 1013 on 14th April.
    Multiply the daily cases reports by 9 to get "true" figures to reflect researched seroprevalence. 27000 x 9 = 234000.
    Etc etc.

Which if we are still doing as badly catching cases would mean yesterday = 1800. But I do not think testing in April is comparable to testing in August.

Don't worry. I am done now explicating my fabulous theory! :) Damn, it's such a good theory though!

Hospital admission would back this up, can't recall the exact dates but we had days in April where over 100 people a day were being admitted to hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

It is... And I can drive down to it from Celbridge and go shopping, into the heart of darkness... But Liffey valley is off limits.

A question for you, if you did attempt to go to Liffey Valley what are the chances of being turned back by Gardaí?

• Advertisement

Seamai wrote: »
    A question for you, if you did attempt to go to Liffey Valley what are the chances of being turned back by Gardaí?

Zero :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Zero :)

Does that not render the notion of a lockdown pretty redundant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Seamai wrote: »
    Does that not render the notion of a lockdown pretty redundant?

Why ? it is relaying on people to do the right thing themselves .Just as the national lockdown was .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

UK Antibodies test results from the first 100,000 in case anyone hasn't seen it.

Screenshot-20200816-104201.jpg

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/largest-home-antibody-testing-programme-for-covid-19-publishes-findings

• Advertisement

Hospital admission would back this up, can't recall the exact dates but we had days in April where over 100 people a day were being admitted to hospital.

I lied. Further explication for those who like T cell theory. Say 20 % have T cells. Then 1,000,000 Irish would have had it. 40 times what is recorded now. So mid April real case numbers would have been 40000! If you hang your hat on T cells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yep been posted multiple times.
    That Berlin place on Dame Street is a kip and it has form for opening late, not limiting numbers etc

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Why ? it is relaying on people to do the right thing themselves .Just as the national lockdown was .

So lockdown is just a suggestion and hope for the best? Good luck with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Etc etc.

Many don't make antibodies and especially not months after infection

July testing catching April mild infections is very doubtful from what i've read

Experts are saying 2-3 times antibody seroprevalence seems to be somewhat accurate

About 500,000 - 750,000 probably had it here

Also supports the 0.5% IFR

We've had nearly 1800 deaths

That would suggest 360,000 infected a minimum

Tests in Africa are showing IFR 0.08%, it's an extremely mild ilness there

I lied. Further explication for those who like T cell theory. Say 20 % have T cells. Then 1,000,000 Irish would have had it. 40 times what is recorded now. So mid April real case numbers would have been 40000! If you hang your hat on T cells.

Yes that would be more far accurate imo

The O'Brien meat plant had 3 people sick out of 86 infected

It seems to be coming out that virus is rather harmless to most of the population

Trump suggested that in April and was ridiculed for it

UK Antibodies test results from the first 100,000 in case anyone hasn't seen it.

Screenshot-20200816-104201.jpg

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/largest-home-antibody-testing-programme-for-covid-19-publishes-findings

When are they gonna put this to an end and do the t spot test?

Drib feeding us info after info

Oxford have it in use for research purposes

Do the bloody trial and give us the truth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

#supportnotsympathy in rural Ireland as pubs beg to be let open and manage customers responsibly and within government guidelines.
    Multi generational pubs financially struggling

Meanwhile in Berlin bar Dublin

https://twitter.com/antoon619/status/1294704669722370049?s=20

#supportnotsympathy in rural Ireland as pubs beg to be let open and manage customers responsibly and within government guidelines.
    Multi generational pubs financially struggling

Meanwhile in Berlin bar Dublin

https://twitter.com/antoon619/status/1294704669722370049?s=20

They just need to close down that pub and any others who take the p1ss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

And if you think that's bad, wait until colleges return. The "guidelines" are for students to not enter someone else's accomodation.

Yeah, best of luck with that.

And if you think that's bad, wait until colleges return. The "guidelines" are for students to not enter someone else's accomodation.

Yeah, best of luck with that.

They are recruiting the ladies (Bean an tí) from the Gaeltacht Irish course to enforce it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement