Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I'm sceptical the corner shop is a major source or infection transmission that warrants 6mts in jail.
    hmmm wrote: »
    Seeing as you're not a public health expert and haven't published any scientific studies to prove your opinions, I'm going to follow the public health advice instead.

In fairness, it's arguable that it's reasonable to be skeptical when small shops/supermarkets have not been known sources of transmission to date, even well before masks were made mandatory.

the corpo wrote: »
    This picture raises a different question for me, and one I may be wrong on, but unless the people at all those tables (and every table I've seen at a restaurant/cafe) recently are from the same household, should they not be seated further apart? Or am I wrong on the advice on this?

Looks like 1m to me, which is allowed. (Not talking about the other nonsense though, that was crazy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Sparko wrote: »
    As did I. Not sure what has happened here and the conflicting comments coming from the various parts of the system is not ideal.

Just about sums up where we’re at right now - complete lack of cohesion and a plan

Strumms wrote: »
    An old republican right wing nut job and Trump worshipper. No surprise. This is what the most influential democracy in the world looks like, folks.

Plenty of equally wrong tweets from Dems too such as Cuomo in Chinatown back in March. No-one is immune from being incorrect in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Just about sums up where we’re at right now - complete lack of cohesion and a plan

But we were doing so well with the testing and contact tracing. It was all too good. I see nobody bat an eyelid then.

Yeah except they can get it just as bad. It only lives if transmits. We need to stop the transmission. Air / coughing /sneezing/surfaces etc. I didn't stay at home so someone goes ape**** in a bar.

https://twitter.com/Cleavon_MD/status/1294759156109332480?s=20

TikTok star Karim Salmen, social media star on death's door, but still making sure he gets the videos out!

Renjit wrote: »
    But we were doing so well with the testing and contact tracing. It was all too good. I see nobody bat an eyelid then.

Since leadership changed the whole communication thing has been lacking

TikTok star Karim Salmen, social media star on death's door, but still making sure he gets the videos out!

Kids are kids. Just having fun. What can we do? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Your definition of what a kid is defies logic,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Anything to be said for 6mts in Jail?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

GooglePlus wrote: »
    They're pretty good at mimicking real life environments.

It's safe to see masks clearly work.
    They keep posting this even though the second paragraph clearly states:
    It is debatable whether any of these results could be applied to the transmission of SARs-CoV-2

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Your definition of what a kid is defies logic,

Not so much when posters here are defending D2 by saying they are just kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

owlbethere wrote: »
    In one breath some experts are saying the virus is not transmissible from kids. Then there is this:

https://theliberal.ie/parents-are-being-advised-to-wash-lunchboxes-when-kids-return-to-school-as-virus-lives-longer-on-plastic-surfaces-2/

Some experts reccomending for parents to wash plastic lunch boxes every day when children go back to school because virus can live on plastic for some time. Surely advice like this would indicate that children with the virus can have infectious bodily fluids/saliva and can transmit the virus.[/quote. some experts believe the sky is blue.at this stage all these “experts “ are trying to outdo themselves by claiming that the thing is on every surface one day and then the next it’s not.sure if that’s the case we might as well stay in bed and never dare set foot outside ever again.the scaremongering is gone way ott now and needs to be reigned in damn fecking fast for the mental health of the population.if this continues there will more people die from suicide from the negativity than the bloody virus will ever kill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If the Berlin was actually serving "kids" then they certainly deserve all consequences.

Surely they at least ID'd their "customers"?

Cant call adults "kids" to try and sweep away reality.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Cant call adults "kids" to try and sweep away reality.

That also shows how some parents are ok with their kids breaking the rules under the pretext "kids are kids, just having fun". And then we talk about impunity to juveniles when committing crimes leading to far serious ones. It's idiocracy full on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,944 ✭✭✭growleaves

That also shows how some parents are ok with their kids breaking the rules under the pretext "kids are kids, just having fun". And then we talk about impunity to juveniles when committing crimes leading to far serious ones. It's idiocracy full on.

Lol so now that we've criminalised so many facets of ordinary behaviour are we seriously saying that standing 1m next to someone or sitting on a bus w/o a mask is a gateway into a life of serious criminality?

growleaves wrote: »
    Lol so now that we've criminalised so many facets of ordinary behaviour are we seriously saying that standing 1m next to someone or sitting on a bus w/o a mask is a gateway into a life of serious criminality?

What you see in D2 is no ordinary behavior for these times. Flout all the rules, dude, you are set up for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Most of them look college student age's, young adults

18-22, up to mini rag week antics

They are kids

Thierry12 wrote: »

They are kids

You should appeal for a free pass for all young adults ( = kids) then during these times. :pac:

What you see in D2 is no ordinary behavior for these times. Flout all the rules, dude, you are set up for that.

Right so do you think someone who stands 1m from someone else will graduate to armed robberies next?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

They are kids

You can sugar coat it all you like. Every person in that clip was an adult in every sense of the word, old enough to know exactly what they were doing, and what the potential consequences are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I'm waiting for the ah sure they are only kids excuse for those scrots that pushed the woman into the grand canal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

They are kids

So what are they? Adults or kids? Make up your mind. Either way it was moronic behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Interesting podcast on long haul COVID for anyone interested.
    Interesting on the effects on the brain and theories in regards immunity.
    Hopeful enough for vaccines though.

Skip past the first 20 mins (ads)

https://www.thenakedscientists.com/podcasts/naked-scientists-podcast/sick-covid-long-haulers

So what are they? Adults or kids? Make up your mind. Either way it was moronic behaviour.

Morons, they’re morons.

classified now :)

Right so do you think someone who stands 1m from someone else will graduate to armed robberies next?

I would say parents who think its all right for kids to break the rule for fun sure does not bode well for the future. Someone does not start with armed robberies right out of brood.

I would say parents who think its all right for kids to break the rule for fun sure does not bode well for the future. Someone does not start with armed robberies right out of brood.

I disagree but thank you for answering.

I disagree but thank you for answering.

You know, next time a kid gets bullied and their parents say kids just having fun. You can disagree one more time with what I said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,657 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Boggles wrote: »
    EfiMi-aXkAAe64S?format=jpg&name=large

Half empty and everyone sitting down? :confused:

Give it a few drinks and a few lines of coke and you get the other video, these snaps were probably taken earlier in the day when everyone was a little soberer.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

They must have been celebrating winning the blm protest or has the vertue signaling gorge fest passed now and the most vacuous selfish useless generation have moved on to nothing else.....they stole our summer.........arsholes

• Advertisement

You know, next time a kid gets bullied and their parents say kids just having fun. You can disagree one more time.

I don't agree with bullying obviously so that is an irrelevant cheap shot.

I wasn't the poster who characterised these bar-goers as "kids", I simply disagree that being 1m next to someone is the beginning of a descent into a life of serious criminality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Interesting podcast on long haul COVID for anyone interested.
    Interesting on the effects on the brain and theories in regards immunity.
    Hopeful enough for vaccines though.

Skip past the first 20 mins (ads)

https://www.thenakedscientists.com/podcasts/naked-scientists-podcast/sick-covid-long-haulers

It's very interesting. I've pretty much decided that the whole thing is blown out of proportion and when I saw this link, I was like interesting but have no interest in listening to a few anecdotal stories. But it's interesting how whatever side we're on, we can just end up in our own echo chambers

They must have been celebrating winning the blm protest or has the vertue signaling gorge fest passed now and the most vacuous selfish useless generation have moved on to nothing else.....they stole our summer.........arsholes

Thats quite the statement after an incident in one pub

What do you suggest we do send in the boys, lock them in a confined space with others,.... disturbing behavior from police in Australia for a citizen caught not wearing a mask. We have to stop this constant condemnation of others before there's blood on the streets. Go live you life, avoid people and places you feel are a threat to your existence, leave the youth alone, there not getting these years back.

https://twitter.com/AussieVal10/status/1292849687758659594?s=20

What do you suggest we do send in the boys, lock them in a confined space with others,.... disturbing behavior from police in Australia for a citizen caught not wearing a mask. We have to stop this constant condemnation of others before there's blood on the streets. Go live you life, avoid people and places you feel are a threat to your existence, leave the youth alone, there not getting these years back.

That's quite selfish to think of when collective responsibility is expected. But I am not surprised with the logic thrown around here.

That's quite selfish to think of when collective responsibility is expected. But I am not surprised with the logic thrown around here.

How is it anymore selfish than the other side? The side who believe that we need to do everything and anything so long as people don't die from Covid. **** anything else but by god, we don't want people dying from Covid. What about the livelihoods are destroyed? Do you understand the implications of unemployment? Do you understand that young people are more likely to be unemployed? Do you know what is coming around the corner because of this collective hysteria that will now derail prospects for millions worldwide over the next decade? Honestly, this absolute bull**** narrative being spun that people that are against the restrictions don't give a ****.

18 months from now, we'll see where we are. That's all I'll say. It's not going to be pretty.

That's quite selfish to think of when collective responsibility is expected. But I am not surprised.

You don't have to hang around with young people, you don't have to go to Berlin bar, it's your choice.
    I feel really sorry for the youth, really enjoyed mine. It's wrong were imposing such draconian measures on them possibly for life.
    Jesus there being told to either have virtual sex or wear a facemask during sex, and absolutely no kissing. It's no wonder there giving the whole thing 2 fingers at every opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If 18 - 22 year olds are kids should we look at raising the minimum drinking age?

If that age nowadays = kids we need to not ply helpless irresponsible kids with drink.

Or just treat adults as actual fùcking adults capable of making mature decisions and facing the consequences.

Defending that carry on and anyone involved is an odd hill to die on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It can be seen from the twitter comments below the video how divided people are becoming, even on this forum too.

We need to be very careful before the well intentioned public measures spark something ugly.

• Advertisement

It's very interesting. I've pretty much decided that the whole thing is blown out of proportion and when I saw this link, I was like interesting but have no interest in listening to a few anecdotal stories. But it's interesting how whatever side we're on, we can just end up in our own echo chambers

So you didn’t bother listening to the DRs or Neural pathologist that were also interviewed. Or the paper they discussed that has been published.

Easy to Choose to stay in an echo chamber.
    Your choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

The problem is though that there is no end in sight for this so its harder for the younger generation to buy into it anymore, they probably don't even know anyone that got it.

You don't have to hang around with young people, you don't have to go to Berlin bar, it's your choice.
    I feel really sorry for the youth, really enjoyed mine. It's wrong were imposing such draconian measures on them possibly for life.
    Jesus there being told to either have virtual sex or wear a facemask during sex, and absolutely no kissing. It's no wonder there giving the whole thing 2 fingers at every opportunity.

It's not just young people that are affected by this everyone is. Do you think 20+ year olds and I know it's hard to believe that even 60+ year olds date, have sex, go to college etc.
    What happened and has been happening in that bar is a kick in the face to everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Thats quite the statement after an incident in one pub

It's not one incident as a resident of the area this kind of bs has been quite common not just this ****hole but ri ra and the other bars with the exception of the stage head for months.. same people on the street and narrow lane giving 2 fingers to everyone else.. self entitled arseholes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

pjohnson wrote: »
    If 18 - 22 year olds are kids should we look at raising the minimum drinking age?

If that age nowadays = kids we need to not ply helpless irresponsible kids with drink.

Or just treat adults as actual fùcking adults capable of making mature decisions and facing the consequences.

Defending that carry on and anyone involved is an odd hill to die on.

So you think an 18 year old has the same level of maturity as someone in their 40s.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/25/financial-crisis-caused-500000-extra-cancer-death-according-to-l/

I honestly don't know if this study is reputable or was verified but I think we can all understand the links between the economy and overall well-being of a country. The spillover effects of an economic downturn is obvious at the best of times. What happens now when the entire global economy has contracted at rates we have never seen before?

In Ireland what happens now when for the first time in our history, we don't have the safety net of thousands emigrating. This will be like no other recession in history.

For context, GDP in the US between late 2007 and mid 2009 fell by 4.2%. What will it be in 18 months time as a result of the pandemic? 12% fall in GDP in the EU so far.

Maybe as a society, it's better if we just try to keep everyone alive, even if it does jeopardize everything else. Perhaps, as humans we shouldn't run cost benefit analysis when it relates to people's lives. Maybe we are better off dealing with the immediate and short term and then tackling whatever else comes down the road? May not be pragmatic but it is human.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    So you didn’t bother listening to the DRs or Neural pathologist that were also interviewed. Or the paper they discussed that has been published.

Easy to Choose to stay in an echo chamber.
    Your choice.
    Mightn't it have been better to link to the actual paper in the first place? Not everyone is going to listen other people's opinion on something they haven't seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

2 fingers are only allowed if they practice safe hand hygiene

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Whatever is necessary in the current circumstances needs to be done for the greater good. Extraordinary times require extraordinary measures.

How is it anymore selfish than the other side? The side who believe that we need to do everything and anything so long as people don't die from Covid. **** anything else but by god, we don't want people dying from Covid. What about the livelihoods are destroyed? Do you understand the implications of unemployment? Do you understand that young people are more likely to be unemployed? Do you know what is coming around the corner because of this collective hysteria that will now derail prospects for millions worldwide over the next decade? Honestly, this absolute bull**** narrative being spun that people that are against the restrictions don't give a ****.

18 months from now, we'll see where we are. That's all I'll say. It's not going to be pretty.

Do you think there are sides?
    Do you think ANY government CHOOSES this?
    Do you honestly believe that governments GLOBALLY are taking lockdown actions because of hysteria? All over the world?

Brazil, Sweden and the US choose not to lockdown, and along with the ridiculous death count, their economy is just as bad, if not worse than countries who locked down.

There are no good options just varying degrees of bad.

I agree with you the crap shoot that’s coming is going to be awful.
    But it’s not because of lockdowns, it’s because of a virus.

Either way economies will suffer, but I’d prefer the path with least deaths.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement