Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Whatever is necessary in the current circumstances needs to be done for the greater good. Extraordinary times require extraordinary measures.
    I feel all Godwin here ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

niallo27 wrote: »
    So you think an 18 year old has the same level of maturity as someone in their 40s.

Of course they don't. And a 40 year old doesn't have the level of maturity of a 60 year old.
    They are old enough and mature enough though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

What do you suggest we do send in the boys, lock them in a confined space with others,.... disturbing behavior from police in Australia for a citizen caught not wearing a mask. We have to stop this constant condemnation of others before there's blood on the streets. Go live you life, avoid people and places you feel are a threat to your existence, leave the youth alone, there not getting these years back.

https://twitter.com/AussieVal10/status/1292849687758659594?s=20

We are about 8 months into the year, and we have been dealing with this covid spreading from China since February. We have public health guidelines on social distancing, avoiding crowds, isolate if you feel unwell, etc since then. The Oxford Vaccine is right around the corner. You'd swear with the way you are writing, they have been asked to isolate themselves for the next 50 years. Things will start getting back to normal next year after a vaccine. Get a grip with your poor little young ones. There's a civil duty on all of us to maintain social distancing and keep our close contacts low. The bar scenes from last night were disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Rumours of a jive contest in Castleblaney over the weekend but no mention of that on Twitter. Up to 100 men and women courting eachother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭spookwoman

owlbethere wrote: »
    We are about 8 months into the year, and we have been dealing with this covid spreading from China since February. We have public health guidelines on social distancing, avoiding crowds, isolate if you feel unwell, etc since then. The Oxford Vaccine is right around the corner. You'd swear with the way you are writing, they have been asked to isolate themselves for the next 50 years. Things will start getting back to normal next year after a vaccine. Get a grip with your poor little young ones. There's a civil duty on all of us to maintain social distancing and keep our close contacts low. The bar scenes from last night were disgraceful.

Shows a major difference in how society has changed over the years.
    When world war 2 broke out many young people joined up and went off to fight and die for freedom, they believed it was their civic duty. In England families sent their children off to the countryside to keep them safe while the adults stayed and knowing they were going to be bombed.
    Today it's a different battle and all we hear is when can I get my hair done or go to the pub or have a party.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Rumours of a jive contest in Castleblaney

Sorry, I had to laugh, I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

spookwoman wrote: »
    When world war 2 broke out many young people joined up and went off to fight and die for freedom, they believed it was their civic duty. In England families sent their children off to the countryside to keep them safe while the adults stayed and knowing they were going to be bombed.
    Today it's a different battle and all we hear is when can I get my hair done or go to the pub or have a party.

You are incredibly out of touch with young people. What a ridiculous comment.

You are incredibly out of touch with young people. What a ridiculous comment.

It's a general comment about society and how it has changed :rolleyes:

And it’s completely out of touch. There’s way more to young people than drinking and getting hair done ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Piehead

We now need to go early and go hard like the Kiwis before this gets out of control.

• Advertisement

And it’s completely out of touch. There’s way more to young people than drinking and getting hair done ffs.
    I mentioned young people and I mentioned adults, no where in that post did i say it was only young people who think about the pubs, hair and parties.

I mentioned young people and I mentioned adults, no where in that post did i say it was only young people who think about the pubs hair and parties.

You compared young people in World War 2 versus now. The post has been made, you can’t backtrack.

You compared young people in World War 2 versus now. The post has been made, you can’t backtrack.

Give over and stop trying to pick a fight.

Give me a break. Same old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

owlbethere wrote: »

We can't even get out health care workers to take the flu vaccine, what hope have we of getting them all to take this new vaccine, not mention the other 3 billion people.
    Are the guards really going to be going door to door holding us down while someone injects us.
    I prefer the global travel ban route, can be started tomorrow with brave leadership, it'll eliminate the virus as opposed to the vaccine which may give you a 50% chance of not getting it. We'll need booster shots, yearly or maybe twice yearly vaccines as it mutates, maybe it's just me but I'm not seeing the vaccine as a way to cure this next year. We need to look at alternatives, all eggs in the one basket by the looks of it at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

We've come full circle to comparing the reaction of young people to a pandemic to the reaction of young people to a war. Two completely different things. Have a read of Pale Rider. It's a book about the 1918 Flu pandemic. Incredibly similar reactions then and now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Sparko wrote: »
    Just a quick update, I mentioned a few days ago that I had a relative who was determined to be a close contact of a positive case.

The positive case was confirmed on Thursday, contact tracers were given details on Friday, my relative was contacted this morning and is waiting on a test date now. He has isolated since hearing of the positive case.

His partner is also a close contact of the confirmed positive case. She asked her GP for a test immediately as she had cold like symptoms. Tested on Friday, negative result today thankfully. She was contacted by tracers on Saturday but she'd already had the test at that stage, and the tracers told her she could go back to work on Monday if she tested negative. Her GP also stated this. But the message she got with her test results said continue isolating until next weekend.

The HSE website says close contacts with negative results should continue to isolate and receive a second test, but the GP and tracers seem to have contradicted this in this case. This inconsistency in message is worrying to me.
    I'm just wondering when where they in contact with the confirmed case? If they were in contact with the confirmed case a week before they were tested, wouldn't that be considered a day 7 test?

I'd assume the txt message is just a generic template and it would be the contact tracers who would know when they potentially could have been exposed and when they were tested and would be able to risk assess it.

It's one you look like you're losing I'm afraid, with a writeoff of an entire age cohort. Once we were in that age group and subject to the same judgemental cant from an earlier generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Do you think there are sides?
    Do you think ANY government CHOOSES this?
    Do you honestly believe that governments GLOBALLY are taking lockdown actions because of hysteria? All over the world?

Brazil, Sweden and the US choose not to lockdown, and along with the ridiculous death count, their economy is just as bad, if not worse than countries who locked down.

There are no good options just varying degrees of bad.

I agree with you the crap shoot that’s coming is going to be awful.
    But it’s not because of lockdowns, it’s because of a virus.

Either way economies will suffer, but I’d prefer the path with least deaths.

Go away with your Sweden nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Piehead wrote: »
    We now need to go early and go hard like the Kiwis before this gets out of control.

Worked for China (including Taiwan) Vietnam (until recently), New Zealand and others.

We don't have strong leaders to make the right call and we don't have the self discipline to follow the rules completely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

Has Italy made any announcements regarding death toll from c19?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

We can't even get out health care workers to take the flu vaccine, what hope have we of getting them all to take this new vaccine, not mention the other 3 billion people.
    Are the guards really going to be going door to door holding us down while someone injects us.
    I prefer the global travel ban route, can be started tomorrow with brave leadership, it'll eliminate the virus as opposed to the vaccine which may give you a 50% chance of not getting it. We'll need booster shots, yearly or maybe twice yearly vaccines as it mutates, maybe it's just me but I'm not seeing the vaccine as a way to cure this next year. We need to look at alternatives, all eggs in the one basket by the looks of it at the moment.

The Coronavirus don't mutate that quickly and usually in this line of the virus it mututes itself to a weaker virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Damn kids with their hip hop.

We all know the previous generation who were slaves to the catholic church were the best, no contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

How is it anymore selfish than the other side? The side who believe that we need to do everything and anything so long as people don't die from Covid. **** anything else but by god, we don't want people dying from Covid. What about the livelihoods are destroyed? Do you understand the implications of unemployment? Do you understand that young people are more likely to be unemployed? Do you know what is coming around the corner because of this collective hysteria that will now derail prospects for millions worldwide over the next decade? Honestly, this absolute bull**** narrative being spun that people that are against the restrictions don't give a ****.

18 months from now, we'll see where we are. That's all I'll say. It's not going to be pretty.

Do you understand it's one thing to do essential work but another to do things just for fun while flouting all rules because you are not getting these years back? How hard is it to understand? One is an essential risk and other is selfishness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,619 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Ireland stayed neutral during WW II. Are you referring to young people in England or here?

• Advertisement

As to your equivalence to the English in the second world war and the reaction of the young it's a fale equivalence. A lot of parents brought their kids back to the cities when the expected bombing didn't occur straight away and look how that turned out. Also they had to introduce conscription straight away as they realised that plenty of people of military age would have fathers and uncles who served in the first word war and the trouble that they had keeping up the number of recruits during ww1 once it went past 1915 and people realised that it wasn't going to be over by Christmas and the number of volunteers fell off a cliff.

Ireland stayed neutral during WW II. Are you referring to young people in England or here?

I am referring to society, all age groups and how things have changed in how people are willing to sacrifice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

spookwoman wrote:
    I am referring to society, all age groups and how things have changed in how people are willing to sacrifice.

Nonsense jingoism

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Any number on the amount of tests conducted and positive tests in the last 24 hrs?

Any number on the amount of tests conducted and positive tests in the last 24 hrs?
    We don't get that number on sundays

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    The Coronavirus don't mutate that quickly and usually in this line of the virus it mututes itself to a weaker virus.

It hasn't needed to, had a pretty clear run at us so far, it's ultimate goal is survival, I hope your right about it weakening, can't survive if it kills all the hosts. Are we already seeing it weakening as opposed to the current casedemic theroy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

There's a good documentary series by Adam Curtis that pretty much chronicles this (and more besides)

The Century of the Self

Free to watch on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

What time are the numbers usually out today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Oranage2 wrote: »
    What time are the numbers usually out today?

Around 6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

What do you suggest we do send in the boys, lock them in a confined space with others,.... disturbing behavior from police in Australia for a citizen caught not wearing a mask. We have to stop this constant condemnation of others before there's blood on the streets. Go live you life, avoid people and places you feel are a threat to your existence, leave the youth alone, there not getting these years back.

https://twitter.com/AussieVal10/status/1292849687758659594?s=20

People viewing that video and thinking it’s ok is pretty f**ked up.

Young girl walking down a street tackled to the ground by a male cop twice her size for not wearing a mask? Unless there was more to it we didn’t see?

I was screamed at for not wearing a mask during the week- was ordering a coffee and sandwich in a motorway service station. As I stood in a large, well aired building with 30 foot ceilings ordering my food while about 80 others sat Maskless eating food meters away in the same space, some randomer singled me out because I was standing without a mask and not the dozens of others who were not a danger as they were sitting down without masks.

Be very careful with the liberties you give up, it’s not a given that you’ll get them back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,870 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Do you think there are sides?
    Do you think ANY government CHOOSES this?
    Do you honestly believe that governments GLOBALLY are taking lockdown actions because of hysteria? All over the world?

Brazil, Sweden and the US choose not to lockdown, and along with the ridiculous death count, their economy is just as bad, if not worse than countries who locked down.

There are no good options just varying degrees of bad.

I agree with you the crap shoot that’s coming is going to be awful.
    But it’s not because of lockdowns, it’s because of a virus.

Either way economies will suffer, but I’d prefer the path with least deaths.

Well said... ultimately the economy can and will recover, some people will not recover from covid.

We are supposed to live in a caring society, so let’s care and give a shît about keeping as many people as we can alive,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

We don't get that number on sundays
    Need to get under 59 cases today to have less weekly cases than last week and I am I right in saying roughly 20,000 more tests was carried out this week compared to last week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Sparko

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I'm just wondering when where they in contact with the confirmed case? If they were in contact with the confirmed case a week before they were tested, wouldn't that be considered a day 7 test?

I'd assume the txt message is just a generic template and it would be the contact tracers who would know when they potentially could have been exposed and when they were tested and would be able to risk assess it.

Possibly so. They were around the confirmed case last Saturday.

Need to get under 59 cases today to have less weekly cases than last week and I am I right in saying roughly 20,000 more tests was carried out this week compared to last week?
    You are correct re testing - up to yesterday we had ~5 less cases in that 7 day period compared to the previous 7, as far as I know.
    Thursday was the second highest testing number we ever did.

Could be a struggle if things are bad at the mushroom factory. Those results should be today or tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

As we are talking about numbers (taken from Worldometers)

Population of ireland = 4944556

Positive Cases in Ireland = 27191
    Percentage of population testing positive = 0.54

Deaths in Ireland = 1774
    Percentage of positive tests resulting in death = 6.52
    Percentage of population resulting in death = 0.035

These numbers are obviously based on the fact that the country was locked down and the “curve” flattened, but at this stage what numbers / percentages are we expecting before opening the country ?

smurfjed wrote: »

Deaths in Ireland = 1774

These numbers are obviously based on the fact that the country was locked down and the “curve” flattened, but at this stage what numbers / percentages are we expecting before opening the country ?
    Nobody actually knows what the threshold is, they don't say.

smurfjed wrote: »

Deaths in Ireland = 1774

I'm thinking it's in the order 10-20 cases a day as each new element is added. Once we get past the current mini-surge it'll be all eyes on the schools, then pubs then more normal public transport and somewhere off in the future indoor and outdoor events.

You are correct re testing - up to yesterday we had ~5 less cases in that 7 day period compared to the previous 7, as far as I know.
    Thursday was the second highest testing number we ever did.
    Wasn't there mention of a renewed weekly care home testing programme?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's one you look like you're losing I'm afraid, with a writeoff of an entire age cohort. Once we were in that age group and subject to the same judgemental cant from an earlier generation.
    GooglePlus wrote: »
    Damn kids with their hip hop.

We all know the previous generation who were slaves to the catholic church were the best, no contest.

As somebody who admittedly believes the main thing younger people have to do during this crisis is just have a bit less fun (bit more time on iPad or Netflix) , I’d be interested in hearing what sacrifices are being made and how these younger people are helping us in the fight against COVID.

I’m self employed and haven’t been able to do my job properly since March. Ive a young family and I want this crisis managed aswell as we can. Why should I be more understanding of young adults going on the piss and pretty much doing the exact opposite to what we have been told to do for months?

I think that poster was right about what they said about society now versus then. The way society seems to be progressing the last 100 years (certainly last 30 in Ireland) , each younger generation appears to have a much easier life relative to the previous. I had a much easier time growing up then my parents and I see my children have much more then I had.

Ive a young family to take care of but when I see morons doing what they did last night I despair. And then when you see people try to minimize it , it’s hard to not get angry. People make mistakes but there is no excuse for what was going on in those pictures. Ironically , for the people desperate for pubs to open and are defending this stuff, these are just the sort of things that will force our authorities to bring in even harsher measures for everybody, including other young adults who are not selfish brats. These incidents prove not all people can be trusted to be responsible and the rest end up paying for it in some form.

they just keep moving the goalposts and giving themselves titles like "SUPER" junior minister with more thousands. Of the few that are left in work, we'll be crippled with Zero tax take from closure across all industries.

Those shouting the country will recover but lives wont, obviously have good jobs and can pay the oul mortage handy enough. the banks wont care how altruistic you are, it;s business not philanthropy, look how they treated people in the great depression.

Business and life needs to resume and they need to start showing the death numbers with age and health status if they've underlying issues.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Wasn't there mention of a renewed weekly care home testing programme?
    I believe that is starting next week. I do think there is some sort targeted testing ongoing right now due to the high testing figures, but Prof. Nolan said he doesn't think nursing home testing is starting for another week or two at the last press conference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,564 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

And amongst all this crisis in the country the Dail is closed for TD's holliers.

Drumpot wrote: »
    As somebody who admittedly believes the main thing younger people have to do during this crisis is just have a bit less fun (bit more time on iPad or Netflix) , I’d be interested in hearing what sacrifices are being made and how these younger people are helping us in the fight against COVID.

I’m self employed and haven’t been able to do my job properly since March. Ive a young family and I want this crisis managed aswell as we can. Why should I be more understanding of young adults going on the piss and pretty much doing the exact opposite to what we have been told to do for months?

I think that poster was right about what they said about society now versus then. The way society seems to be progressing the last 100 years (certainly last 30 in Ireland) , each younger generation appears to have a much easier life relative to the previous. I had a much easier time growing up then my parents and I see my children have much more then I had.

Ive a young family to take care of but when I see morons doing what they did last night I despair. And then when you see people try to minimize it , it’s hard to not get angry. People make mistakes but there is no excuse for what was going on in those pictures. Ironically , for the people desperate for pubs to open and are defending this stuff, these are just the sort of things that will force our authorities to bring in even harsher measures for everybody, including other young adults who are not selfish brats. These incidents prove not all people can be trusted to be responsible and the rest end up paying for it in some form.
    I stopped reading when you said this generation has an easier life than the previous. Nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

You don't get false positives with a PCR test unless you contaminate it with another positive sample. This test is highly specific.
    the test may be infallible but the operators aren’t. My colleagues and I are tested every 5 days or less, the less is usually based on someone getting a false positive or inconclusive test. I have one colleague who has tested positive twice and was always negative in the subsequent tests.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement