Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Drumpot wrote: »
    As somebody who admittedly believes the main thing younger people have to do during this crisis is just have a bit less fun (bit more time on iPad or Netflix) , I’d be interested in hearing what sacrifices are being made and how these younger people are helping us in the fight against COVID.

I’m self employed and haven’t been able to do my job properly since March. Ive a young family and I want this crisis managed aswell as we can. Why should I be more understanding of young adults going on the piss and pretty much doing the exact opposite to what we have been told to do for months?

I think that poster was right about what they said about society now versus then. The way society seems to be progressing the last 100 years (certainly last 30 in Ireland) , each younger generation appears to have a much easier life relative to the previous. I had a much easier time growing up then my parents and I see my children have much more then I had.

Ive a young family to take care of but when I see morons doing what they did last night I despair. And then when you see people try to minimize it , it’s hard to not get angry. People make mistakes but there is no excuse for what was going on in those pictures. Ironically , for the people desperate for pubs to open and are defending this stuff, these are just the sort of things that will force our authorities to bring in even harsher measures for everybody, including other young adults who are not selfish brats. These incidents prove not all people can be trusted to be responsible and the rest end up paying for it in some form.
    If you seek to apportion blame you'll find people to fit the bill. There are people who do not recognise personal responsibility throughout society, not just the very young. What we should learn from life is we need to be concerned about ourselves and what's important to us. We are not here to police society and there are things we cannot change like the foolishness here or how we and others respond to this current crisis in our lives.

I understand the self-employed issue, it's about getting by and figuring out how to adapt or change in the face of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,870 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

rusty cole wrote: »
    they just keep moving the goalposts and giving themselves titles like "SUPER" junior minister with more thousands. Of the few that are left in work, we'll be crippled with Zero tax take from closure across all industries.

Those shouting the country will recover but lives wont, obviously have good jobs and can pay the oul mortage handy enough. the banks wont care how altruistic you are, it;s business not philanthropy, look how they treated people in the great depression.

Business and life needs to resume and they need to start showing the death numbers with age and health status if they've underlying issues.

I disagree about underlying issues. Some people are mad keen to use the whole ‘underlying’ issue as a kind of ‘ well fûck, that doesn’t count, sure they were ‘sick’ anyway’..... bollôcks... that’s one of the most disingenuous and horrible attitudes towards covid.... loads of people have underlying issues, are relying on access to services such as operations, physios, gyms and various treatments to GET BETTER... most ‘underlying’ conditions on their own are manageable or curable in normal circumstances, but with covid, that becomes different, it could be life changing or life ending...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

I think a few people are trying to use it to have a dig at the ‘young’.

Firstly I don’t think this influencer one is a spring chicken, not the foolish 20yr old type. Secondly, the bar and event brite were in on this. They knew exactly what it’d be like. The bar have been taking the p*ss for weeks by the sounds of others. Thirdly, one bar doing this doesn’t mean the whole of the young don’t care.

I think the comment about Netflix says it all. There’s a cohort who think the young have it handy, no sacrifices. Not as if they’ve lost jobs, Social life, family, friends, etc.

Classic blame game, divide and conquer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I stopped reading when you said this generation has an easier life than the previous. Nonsense.

I generally try to be accepting when I’m wrong about something, but there has to be at least some logical explanation to it. I’m just asking you to explain why you feel this is the case. If I’m talking nonsense can you let me know why it’s nonsense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

smurfjed wrote: »
    the test may be infallible but the operators aren’t. My colleagues and I are tested every 5 days or less, the less is usually based on someone getting a false positive or inconclusive test. I have one colleague who has tested positive twice and was always negative in the subsequent tests.
    If your tested for work, I'm guessing your company isn't using public HSE labs.

Who is taking your swabs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I generally try to be accepting when I’m wrong about something, but there has to be at least some logical explanation to it. I’m just asking you to explain why you feel this is the case. If I’m talking nonsense can you let me know why it’s nonsense?
    Young people now live in a time where:
    - Mental health issues and depression are at an all time high.
    - You require 2 years experience to even get an inkling of a part time job.
    - If your whole life doesn't revolve around social media and conforming to norms then you are a reject.
    - The schooling system treats everyone the same no matter what method of learning you prosper at.
    - And where older people paint you as a drunk and someone who sits at home and watches netflix.
    - Edit: We're also now facing a major recession, just as many will aim to start their careers.

I can go on, but this is the COVID thread, and the comments about young people being the major issue here have gone beyond ridiculous.

is_that_so wrote: »
    If you seek to apportion blame you'll find people to fit the bill. There are people who do not recognise personal responsibility throughout society, not just the very young. What we should learn from life is we need to be concerned about ourselves and what's important to us. We are not here to police society and there are things we cannot change like the foolishness here or how we and others respond to this current crisis in our lives.

I understand the self-employed issue, it's about getting by and figuring out how to adapt or change in the face of this.

Young people are not to blame for this crisis, we are all in this. There are plenty of Middle aged morons doing plenty of stupid things.

I do believe every generation has it easier then the previous, that’s not the fault of people born today, it’s just the way it is. I believe my parents were hardier they me, I don’t see that as an insult, just an observation. I don’t see why that’s changed for modern young adults who do have more luxuries then My generation. Mind you, I’m glad I didn’t have to suffer from the social media phenomenon, it’s toxic and will try and keep my children away from it as long as I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,619 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

spookwoman wrote: »
    I am referring to society, all age groups and how things have changed in how people are willing to sacrifice.

Well you mentioned WW II as an example which doesn't apply to us. And for the record there were plenty of deserters and those that tried to avoid the call up to the army during the World Wars in all countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

- If your whole life doesn't revolve around social media and conforming to norms then you are a reject.
    - The schooling system treats everyone the same no matter what method of learning you prosper at.
    - And where older people paint you as a drunk and someone who sits at home and watches netflix.
    - Edit: We're also now facing a major recession, just as many will aim to start their careers.

I can go on, but this is the COVID thread, and the comments about young people being the major issue here have gone beyond ridiculous.

LOL... First world problems at its finest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Could be a struggle if things are bad at the mushroom factory. Those results should be today or tomorrow.

I hope this doesn't mushroom out of control.

• Advertisement

The mushroom factory came through yesterday, no? Tipp was +13.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Ah now.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

I stopped reading when you said this generation has an easier life than the previous. Nonsense.

To be fair the standard of living has improved and social security net is much better now. People have better access to healthcare. Overall, life expectancy has increased. The luxuries of life that were not available earlier. Just an example, remembering phone numbers of your contact list earlier and now etc. But with this also comes idiocracy true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Young people are not to blame for this crisis, we are all in this. There are plenty of Middle aged morons doing plenty of stupid things.

I do believe every generation has it easier then the previous, that’s not the fault of people born today, it’s just the way it is. I believe my parents were hardier they me, I don’t see that as an insult, just an observation. I don’t see why that’s changed for modern young adults who do have more luxuries then My generation. Mind you, I’m glad I didn’t have to suffer from the social media phenomenon, it’s toxic and will try and keep my children away from it as long as I can.
    I actually think it's a lot tougher now on kids, primarily in acquiring a coping skillset for life. There are so many distractions and influences, malign or otherwise, that can knock them sideways. This too leaks into the workplace and IMO they face huge challenges in adapting to demands we take for granted. Given a chance to do it all again at 18-20 now I'd pass!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

I actually think it's a lot tougher now on kids, primarily in acquiring a coping skillset for life. There are so many distractions and influences, malign or otherwise, that can knock them sideways. This too leaks into the workplace and IMO they face huge challenges in adapting to demands we take for granted. Given a chance to do it all again at 18-20 now I'd pass!

You mad, riding anything after a few Pints every weekend. I would love to do it all again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,625 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I grew up in the 80's.

I would have killed for that list of "problems"

Boggles wrote: »
    I grew up in the 80's.

I would have killed for that list of "problems"
    Just like thousands of young people now would kill to live in a world without social media, myself included.
    Real nice putting problems in quotations too, considering the depression and suicide levels in this country, that doesn't surprise me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

The mushroom factory came through yesterday, no? Tipp was +13.

That was only after testing about 20 staff,the whole factory was tested yesterday so it could be a few days before all those results come through

That was only after testing about 20 staff,the whole factory was tested yesterday so it could be a few days before all those results come through
    I thought they had said there was only low levels of cases there, maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Compare that to mortality rate earlier? People live long enough that they get cancer now. Mental issues and depression were earlier too but may be overshadowed by other miseries of life which we take for granted now.

Go to any third world country and you will see what I am talking about. No one cares about mental health because other issues are more aggravating.

How is the social security and benefit situation now compared to earlier?
    This looks more like first world problem.
    Compare that to the time when education was for elites and not everyone had free education.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Well you mentioned WW II as an example which doesn't apply to us. And for the record there were plenty of deserters and those that tried to avoid the call up to the army during the World Wars in all countries.

Plenty of Irish went to england to join the army over there and fight but yep we just created a list and set up the "starvation order", treated them as outcasts etc. :rolleyes:

But I diverge

I’m not sure I would be of the opinion that it’s harder in general but can understand if it would be harder from the perspective of coping skills. The latter I get, I’ve struggled with mental health issues all My life and addressing mental health problems was not a huge thing when I was growing up.

I thought they had said there was only low levels of cases there, maybe not.

Hopefully it is only low levels suppose the next few days will tell a lot

Oranage2 wrote: »
    LOL... First world problems at its finest

Got it in 1.

Got it in 1.
    Very mature response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,625 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Just like thousands of young people now would kill to live in a world without social media, myself included.

Ah. It's not mandatory.
    Real nice putting problems in quotations too, considering the depression and suicide levels in this country, that doesn't surprise me.

Do think mental health problems are a new concept?

Anyway, way off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Tipp FM reported yesterday that all testing was complete and they hoped to ha e the results back in 24-48 hours. I'd say they will have a good idea now what proportion of the staff are infected. People are definitely on edge in Tipperary. Lots of rumours that it has spread to other factories etc but nothing concrete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

What are the numbers for today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

niallo27 wrote: »
    So you think an 18 year old has the same level of maturity as someone in their 40s.

No, but pretending that they are kids shouldn't be let run.

They are young adults.

• Advertisement

Let me rephrase that

We all live in a time where
    All age groups are affected by this.

Welcome to the real world it has always been like that and just because someone comes out of college with whatever cert doesn't automatically entitle them to a job with all the bells and whistles.

:confused:

I can remember when SNA's did not even exist and that's not long ago. I also remember those with learning disabilities were just left to their own devices or shipped off to "special" schools. Do you expect everyone in a class to have their own teacher so they can be taught the way you want?

Stop being a drama queen no one has said that.

Plenty of other age groups in the same boat.

Well stop making it all about young people if you don't want people to comment on them

touts wrote: »
    Tipp FM reported yesterday that all testing was complete and they hoped to ha e the results back in 24-48 hours. I'd say they will have a good idea now what proportion of the staff are infected. People are definitely on edge in Tipperary. Lots of rumours that it has spread to other factories etc but nothing concrete.

Yeah testing was completed yesterday in a tent in the church grounds in the village,presume results will start to filter through from today,they will surely be high priority to establish if they have a big problem on their hands regarding this factory

Let me rephrase that

We all live in a time where
    All age groups are affected by this.

Welcome to the real world it has always been like that and just because someone comes out of college with whatever cert doesn't automatically entitle them to a job with all the bells and whistles.

:confused:

I can remember when SNA's did not even exist and that's not long ago. I also remember those with learning disabilities were just left to their own devices or shipped off to "special" schools. Do you expect everyone in a class to have their own teacher so they can be taught the way you want?

Stop being a drama queen no one has said that.

Plenty of other age groups in the same boat.
    Of course you disagree with me, anyway, off topic.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Yeah testing was completed yesterday in a tent in the church grounds in the village,presume results will start to filter through from today,they will surely be high priority to establish if they have a big problem on their hands regarding this factory
    Rumours also that the initial cohort who had tested positive were living together. Seems to be a trend with some of these workplace clusters that the problem stems from workers who are cohabiting rather than coming into contact in the workplace.

Of course, we'll wait and see how this pans out. With the exception of the Kildare clusters the majority of other workplace clusters seem to have been brought under control.

There was a few of these clusters during the full lockdown also but the national numbers were so high that they weren't as significant.

66 new cases, 0 deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

66 new cases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

66 cases no deaths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Guess yesterday was just like last week, large backlog then back to double digits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,562 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

66, back in the safe zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Advertisement

3 community transmission

21 in Kildare, 16 in Dublin, 6 in Limerick, and the rest of the 23 cases are in Clare, Donegal, Laois, Louth, Meath, Monaghan, Offaly, Roscommon, Sligo, Tipperary, Wicklow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

66 cases no deaths

Deaths have dropped of a cliff since May. I think we need to start focusing on deaths and ICU admissions now. That is the battle ground and we are winning there big time.

3 community transmission

Very good figure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

66 new cases, 0 deaths

Only 7 more weekly cases than last week from a lot more tests carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ll31

Very good figure

Though theyve another 53 under investigation for today plus not sure if we know re 107 from yesterday. Seems reasonable some will be comm transmission tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

66 cases I'll be able to sleep somewhat sounder. Crazy to think only two weeks ago 66 was a high number, nowadays double digits seems to be a good number.

Only 7 more weekly cases than last week from a lot more tests carried out.
    Good to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Cases down again and no deaths, which is great news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,562 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Deaths have dropped of a cliff since May. I think we need to start focusing on deaths and ICU admissions now. That is that battle ground and we are winning there big time.

Control in nursing homes was the key.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement