Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

The community referrals info for the w/c 3rd August is different on both reports.

I'd have assumed it would be the same (or certainly not wildly different as it is)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Rte really ramping up concerns about the reopening of schools

I wouldn't be surprised if NPHET recommend more restrictions over the next few weeks

Hope I'm wrong though

The latest is that the Government are going to help homeschool children with underlying conditions but no mention of children with parents with serious underlying conditions which seems insane to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Benimar wrote: »
    The community referrals info for the w/c 3rd August is different on both reports.

I'd have assumed it would be the same (or certainly not wildly different as it is)?

I’m assuming mass testing causes some days to be higher than actually are and once the data is cleaned its adjusted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,623 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

An increase on such a small scale is not really significant.

So there was an increase?

We don't know if they will be significant or not.

Boggles wrote: »
    So there was an increase?

We don't know if they will be significant or not.

An increase from 4000 per day to 4500 per day with our current positivity rate suggests possibly 4-5 more cases

An increase from 4000 per day to 4500 per day with our current positivity rate suggests possibly 4-5 more cases

Again, that word.

You said no increase.

There has been, clearly.

We cleared it up now, stop digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

For the 15th time. Why do we have to go around in circles. The point is there were checks on every road at the border. People could cross.

This is a different situation. The blanket claim that we can't police our border in the face of a national threat is not true.
    Incidentally I don't think the NI border is needed. People in the north want cooperation on the issue as does Scotland etc. We have similar measures and they could easily be aligned.

We have a common travel are and we are not in the Schengen area anyway so UK & Ireland approach makes most sense. Some form of mandatory testing etc.

But again this could / should have been done months ago. The economic damage is baked into the cake now for another wave (Europe-wide). Countries are at least trying. Finland, Italy implementing mandatory testing for arrivals. Saying it can't be done is lazy and unrealistic. We have a massive advantage in that everyone arrives by boat or plane. QR code - passport, test, quarantine. It is doable and my guess is it will be done maybe next year when the aviation industry's life support gets switched off. You can only throw so much good money after bad.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/want-to-know-what-a-hard-border-looks-like-the-2001-foot-and-mouth-crisis-holds-the-key-37824268.html

523196.jpg

The government of the day pulled out all the stops when animal health was threatened by the Foot & Mouth virus in 2001.

Too bad that when human health is threatened now, we see no such urgency.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

The government of the day pulled out all the stops when animal health was threatened by the Foot & Mouth virus in 2001.

I know, right.

They should be culling anyone who is a potential Covid case, piling them up and burning them to be safe.

If that isn't an option, I guess we'll have to look at other alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

They culled and burned thousands of livestock.

You for serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

GooglePlus wrote: »
    I know, right.

They should be culling anyone who is a potential Covid case, piling them up and burning them to be safe.

Nice strawman...

The point is that they closed the borders in 2001 to prevent importation of the virus and succeeded to a large measure in keeping us F&M free.

And a strict 14 day quarantine gets rid of the virus before it can spread, as you know very well.

Instead we have the usual 'too little, too late' responses now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

hmmm wrote: »
    I hear what you're saying, but the virus ultimately doesn't care if we are tired of it.

I think personally the public are on board, but they haven't been told that this is going to last a long time (hopefully we get a vaccine during 2021). The message got lost during the reopening phases, as if that was it and now it's all back to normal, and so people just went back to doing what they always did.

People are going to get scared if the numbers go up in the coming weeks - we need a constant level of awareness, not cycles of relaxation and then worry.

I'm not a fan of masks, but they are a very visible reminder that life is not back to "normal" yet - we should consider mandating masks everywhere like Italy. Similarly if there are other actions we could take just to repeat the message that we are in a national emergency and people need to adopt their behaviour, that would be helpful also.

Yes perhaps you’re right. I just feel the strategy of trying to keep numbers low will result in a lot of back and forth between phases and I’m sceptical as to whether we can control the numbers in this way. I agree that the public is in the main complying but I think there is growing unease and I think public goodwill will disappear as numbers grow and more lockdowns are required.

I know the hope is to just get through this until a possible vaccination with the lowest possible number of illnesses and deaths but the only way I can see this happening is by employing an elimination strategy. Maybe I’m wrong and maybe this is not politically or practically possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Slane Garda Station closed to the public, expected to reopen tomorrow.

1 Garda tested postive and the other officer whom they've been paired with since March also tested postive.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/meath-garda-station-closed-to-public-after-two-members-of-force-test-positive-for-covid-19-39455425.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

We have thousands of Roll on Roll off trucks bringing vital goods into the country every week.

Do we quarantine the drivers for 14 days or do we stop all exports and imports via truck?

NZ does not have this problem and their capital is still in lockdown.

Zero covid island is impossible.

Slane Garda Station closed to the public, expected to reopen tomorrow.

1 Garda tested postive and the other officer whom they've been paired with since March also tested postive.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/meath-garda-station-closed-to-public-after-two-members-of-force-test-positive-for-covid-19-39455425.html

Fair play to the gardai for limiting colleague contact so well, one contact is mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

They culled and burned thousands of livestock.

You for serious?
    We'll also have to quarantine mink at the border.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53439263
    https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/06/coronavirus-rips-through-dutch-mink-farms-triggering-culls-prevent-human-infections

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

hmmm wrote: »

There should be a government bounty paid per mink trapped and killed. The crustys of the day thought they were mighty releasing thousands of them from fur farms and they patting themselves on the back.
    The damage a mink does to wildlife is colossal. The only way in denting their population would be a cash bounty

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

There should be a government bounty paid per mink trapped and killed. The crustys of the day thought they were mighty releasing thousands of them from fur farms and they patting themselves on the back.
    The damage a mink does to wildlife is colossal. The only way in denting their population would be a cash bounty

I thought local councils did offer money for dead mink. It wasn't much, something like 2.50 per mink. They are a nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭growleaves

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Very true. They are the Western country that has hewn closest to what the likes of so many posters here want for Ireland.
    Considerably more people have died even with their leader and 1/2 of political system pushing to under test and under count for various reasons.
    It also turns out that even in the US alot of the population are not solely economic gdp production/consumption units who will just keep calm + carry on as directed by their leaders/betters in the face of the virus. The economy takes a severe hit anyway.

They had 43 stay-at-home orders (lockdowns) for 50 states. In the most extreme state you're required to wear a mask even inside your own house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I know, right.

The idea has merits. Let's trial it in Kildare. The soil is perfect for large/deep pits. We will need more lime, JCBs and trucks. When one Covid case is confirmed, straight to the pits for everyone within a 1 mile radius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

We have thousands of Roll on Roll off trucks bringing vital goods into the country every week.
    Do we quarantine the drivers for 14 days or do we stop all exports and imports via truck?
    How about the cab gets thoroughly cleaned and an Irish driver takes it the rest of the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Need to wait until the source is confirmed. Given they're now carrying out tests at a cold storage facility in Victoria, that had another premises in Auckland, there may yet be new and disturbing facts found about this virus. I hope for all our sakes some rogue person who skipped border checks is the source or we are in deep ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Nice strawman...

The point is that they closed the borders in 2001 to prevent importation of the virus and succeeded to a large measure in keeping us F&M free.

And a strict 14 day quarantine gets rid of the virus before it can spread, as you know very well.

What borders did they close during foot and mouth? I remember disinfectant soaking at the NI border, but we didn't see flights cancelled or stopped from coming in.

The movement of people globally can't be compared to the movement of livestock from the UK.

Need to wait until the source is confirmed. Given they're now carrying out tests at a cold storage facility in Victoria, that had another premises in Auckland, there may yet be new and disturbing facts found about this virus. I hope for all our sakes some rogue person who skipped border checks is the source or we are in deep ****.

Yes, but it definitely wasn't due to truck drivers coming off a ferry.

I remember you had to put your shoes through bleech at the border at this time.

The attitude from current government seems to be border control is pointless.

I completely disagree.

We have now squandered our good position in June due to this issue.

Not an easy issue to solve I conceed, but its time our politicians stood up on this issue to resolve.

If we were one island I think the government would have tried better.

The attitude seems to be it might be difficult, don't bother.

growleaves wrote: »
    They had 43 stay-at-home orders (lockdowns) for 50 states. In the most extreme state you're required to wear a mask even inside your own house.

well there was an article on that in the BMJ, so no doubt some here will be suggesting it some enough

https://www.bmj.com/company/newsroom/wearing-face-masks-at-home-might-help-ward-off-covid-19-spread-among-family-members/

Which state by the way?

• Advertisement

Fair play to the gardai for limiting colleague contact so well, one contact is mad

Yup been policy since day 1. No mixing between units, who your assigned with is who you'll be with for the full 12 hour shift each day so long as the 4 on 4 off roster remains which is extended out until later this year now.

They've done quite well that there hasn't been any notable outbreaks in the force. Likewise in the prison service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Let them in and send them to a staging area where the goods can be transferred from one truck to another, then send the trucks coming in back to where they came from. The driver doesn't even need to leave the cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Is astonishing how many believe a Nobel implies the holder is never wrong. The list of winners who disintegrated into a level of madness in later life as their field passed them by and they became irrelevant is long.

Poor man is likely correct though.

The US were conducting gain of function testing there on bat coronaviruses since 2019. None of it nefarious all published research.

They stopped funding it in April of this year.

Hell of a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Nice strawman...

They closed the border to live animals and dairy products and not to public. That's completely different than stopping any of the nearly 13,000 commerical vehicles crossing the border every single day. The sheer volume of trade means we would be shooting ourselves in the foot economically trying to do that.
    I guess they could all park on the hard shoulder and quarantine for 14 days. Nobody minds some rotting 'fresh' produce when it finally arrives in the supermarket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,619 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Pubs must be cancelling orders as we speak ahead of announcement this week.

• Advertisement

Let them in and send them to a staging area where the goods can be transferred from one truck to another, then send the trucks coming in back to where they came from. The driver doesn't even need to leave the cab.

That would require 2 trucks for every journey. We don't have that capacity. What about Irish drivers? They will need to leave the cab at some point across Europe and it is impossible to police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

What borders did they close during foot and mouth? I remember disinfectant soaking at the NI border, but we didn't see flights cancelled or stopped from coming in.

The movement of people globally can't be compared to the movement of livestock from the UK.

But a check on the border can. Mandatory quarantine with a substantial sanction for breaking it would suffice.
    Asking people to act like a robot a.k.a "restrict movements" is a joke.

https://twitter.com/TheLocalItaly/status/1294931910972628992?s=20

https://twitter.com/MarkkuPeltonen/status/1292889433973370885?s=20

Pubs must be cancelling orders as we speak ahead of announcement this week.

Well there'll be no announcement until next week but none will have ordered anyway.

Many had stock in for the last reopening already on 10th August. There's broad acceptance that they won't be given the go ahead anyway for 31st hence the calls for a support package to be in place

I'd say they are ok, they sleep in their truck.
    Just add a rule saying that you are 100% not allowed to invite a truck driver to a barbecue or a house party or to a meat processing plant or to a mushroom factory and we should be ok.

We can't reduce all risk to zero. It's trade offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

259 positive tests in 48 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Neither Garda is believed to have contacted the virus through their work as police officers

Always find these kind of statements a bit weird. Would the second lad not likely have got it from the first, in work? It's like the stories of microphones being shared at karaoke parties, or lighters shared at Aussie quarantine facilities - how can they be so sure of such a thing? A mic or lighter? Maybe just being in close proximity at a party or working in a quarantine facility was the risk.

Agree on zerocovid is impossible - But on the trucks thing, plenty of trailers are dropped off at ports and loaded by the ferry company, no driver travelling with loads. No reason why that part couldn't be solved easily anyway - but beyond that there are tons of other considerations that make zerocovid a pipe dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Thoughts on this - covid deaths vs. excess deaths? Not a fan of this guy as posted earlier, but curious as to views. And before some smartarse asks me for my own before posting, I don't know.

https://twitter.com/MLevitt_NP2013/status/1288512520802766851

LATEST TESTING UPDATE (48hrs)

Tests conducted last 48 hours: 15,885
    Tests conducted last 7 days: 54,816
    Additional positive tests: 259
    Positivity Rate: 1.6%
    Positivity Rate last 7 days: 1.3%

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

But a check on the border can. Mandatory quarantine with a substantial sanction for breaking it would suffice.
    Asking people to act like a robot a.k.a "restrict movements" is a joke.

https://twitter.com/TheLocalItaly/status/1294931910972628992?s=20

https://twitter.com/MarkkuPeltonen/status/1292889433973370885?s=20

Taking away mah liberties, what has the world come to? A man is not entitled to freedom? Are kids not entitled to have some fun? :pac:

259 is a fair amount for a Monday / Sunday.

• Advertisement

Thanks for this. Why is there always a large discrepancy between the additional positive tests and the positive figures? Sorry if this was already explained.

You can see here that there definitely is a "Saturday effect" (red).
    Don't understand the backlog etc.

https://twitter.com/andyazi/status/1295347018051784704?s=20

Renjit wrote: »
    Taking away mah liberties, what has the world come to? A man is not entitled to freedom? Are kids not entitled to have some fun? :pac:

If you think you are free you need rethink your definition of freedom. :D

Thanks for this. Why is there always a large discrepancy between the additional positive tests and the positive figures? Sorry if this was already explained.

Nobody can explain that tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Positivity Rate: 1.6%
    Possibility of having over 150 cases today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

There hasn't been a case in East or South Offaly in over 2 months.

wowzer wrote: »
    259 positive tests in 48 hours

Wowzer is right. Only 66 of them yesterday so 180 to be announced at some point over today or tomorrow

Any idea how much your suggestion would cost? Plus many of the drivers doing this actually live here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Boggles wrote: »
    259 is a fair amount for a Monday / Sunday.

15,885 is a fair amount of testing also.

15,885 is a fair amount of testing also.

Positivity rate of 1.6% is a good sign that we’re keeping on top of this, albeit having high case figures. No major increase over the 200 mark expected so far anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Thoughts on this - covid deaths vs. excess deaths? Not a fan of this guy as posted earlier, but curious as to views. And before some smartarse asks me for my own before posting, I don't know.

https://twitter.com/MLevitt_NP2013/status/1288512520802766851

It's another view point I do find interesting, and like you, I'm not sure. Lots of people write him off as he said Covid would be over at a certain stage. He was referring to excess deaths being at or below baseline for time of year, rather than eradicated, so was somewhat correct. I do find his general commentary interesting as he is questioning the mainstream narrative, with less emotion/agenda/conspiracy than others in that cohort.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement