Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

LATEST TESTING UPDATE (48hrs)

Tests conducted last 48 hours: 15,885
    Tests conducted last 7 days: 54,816
    Additional positive tests: 259
    Positivity Rate: 1.6%
    Positivity Rate last 7 days: 1.3%

Wow, that's a colossal number, looks like my prediction was a week early. But honestly looking at those figures we've lost the battle. Either lock up now or let the government tell us the plan. This waiting and letting things get worse is not acceptable!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

seems to be a bit of confusion growing about symptom criteria for a test. this is the latest guidance on the website.

it doesn't help that they go on to list a large list of less common symptoms without saying whether a test is required.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/symptoms.html

Last updated: 6 August 2020 at 9.55pm

If you have any common symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19), you should self-isolate and phone your GP straight away to get a coronavirus test.

Common symptoms of coronavirus include:

a fever (high temperature - 38 degrees Celsius or above)
    a cough - this can be any kind of cough, not just dry
    shortness of breath or breathing difficulties
    loss or change to your sense of smell or taste – this means you've noticed you cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Does this include re-testing of existing positive tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Positivity rate of 1.6% is a good sign that we’re keeping on top of this, albeit having high case figures. No major increase over the 200 mark expected so far anyway.

You keep saying the same thing but just increase the number every 3 to 4 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

ixoy wrote: »
    Does this include re-testing of existing positive tests?

Yes

• Advertisement

wadacrack wrote: »

I’m repeating what Professor Nolan said. Do you watch the press conferences? Low positivity rate means you’re covering all bases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,686 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Yes

Since when have they been retesting positive cases?

fritzelly wrote: »
    Since when have they been retesting positive cases?

People get retested all the time in hospitals etc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Wow, that's a colossal number, looks like my prediction was a week early. But honestly looking at those figures we've lost the battle. Either lock up now or let the government tell us the plan. This waiting and letting things get worse is not acceptable!

2 days worth of testing, still nowhere near your "formula" envisaged. But sure you just kept repeating the same numbers each day for a whole week.

Let's see what's announced this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

If you think we've lost the battle in the situation we're in now, you'd honestly want to go hide from the news for the next 4 - 6 months. We're in a battle, yes, but hopelessness isn't good for the head and all's not lost at all yet. There's probably going to be bigger tests down the line, so preserve your mental health as best you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

48 hours, divide by two.

Enjoy your pints this evening though, just to be safe

“Lost the battle”
    **** me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Poor man is likely correct though.

The US were conducting gain of function testing there on bat coronaviruses since 2019. None of it nefarious all published research.

They stopped funding it in April of this year.

Hell of a coincidence.
    It is. The Obama administration halted this research in 2014, which is partly why much of the research left North Carolina to go to the WIV.

Going by the nature papers released this year, the closest (and poor candidate) for a nearest relative had part of its sequence published in... 2014/2015? but the full sequence was released only this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

I've lost two of the most important things in my life because of this virus. The only two things in my life that kept me going.

When I see people demanding lockdowns and losing their **** on here over a rise in cases on random days, I just shake my head and laugh. I always knew it was case of people believing and hearing what they want to believe and hear but, strange seeing it in action. It genuinely feels like a lot of people don't even bother watching the press conferences and just take random lines here and there to justify their narrative

"Lost the battle"
    Jesus Christ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

MOR316 wrote: »
    I've lost two of the most important things in my life because of this virus. The only two things in my life that kept me going.

When I see people demanding lockdowns and losing their **** on here over a rise in cases on random days, I just shake my head and laugh. I always knew it was case of people believing and hearing what they want to believe and hear but, strange seeing it in action. It genuinely feels like a lot of people don't even bother watching the press conferences and just take random lines here and there to justify their narrative

"Lost the battle"
    Jesus Christ

What were they? :eek:

wadacrack wrote: »

The numbers are the numbers, but I think we are heading back to at least phase 2 type restrictions with a few tweaks. I don't blame sectors, demographics or counties. When cases start to rise due to imported cases week after week, it is like throwing matches into a meat plant or a nursing home. One or two matches probably wont do much but when you through 4 or 5 it goes up and then is a reservoir for more people to be infected. How long has our R rate been above 1? More than a month probably. What else was going to happen? R rate above 1 = increase in cases. Very predictable. Govt policy is too reactionary. No over arching plan. Do the people even know what the government plan is? No, because there really isn't one.

Boggles wrote: »
    What were they? :eek:

Doesn't matter now, they're gone :D Hopefully someday I'll get them back :)

*Not my testicles :D

Doesn't matter now, they're gone :D Hopefully someday I'll get them back :)

*Not my testicles :D

2 pet minks?

2 pet minks?

And my beloved pet chimp, Bubbles

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Don't forget Batty the Pangolin, pride of the menagerie.

• Advertisement

The numbers are the numbers, but I think we are heading back to at least phase 2 type restrictions with a few tweaks.

If a majority of the cases that are under investigation turn out to be from unknown origins then I wouldn't be completely surprised if they ordered national restrictions in some form until the schools reopen.

Pointless exercise really, but that's a different debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

The numbers are the numbers, but I think we are heading back to at least phase 2 type restrictions with a few tweaks. I don't blame sectors, demographics or counties. When cases start to rise due to imported cases week after week, it is like throwing matches into a meat plant or a nursing home. One or two matches probably wont do much but when you through 4 or 5 it goes up and then is a reservoir for more people to be infected. How long has our R rate been above 1? More than a month probably. What else was going to happen? R rate above 1 = increase in cases. Very predictable. Govt policy is too reactionary. No over arching plan. Do the people even know what the government plan is? No, because there really isn't one.

What would you do? Theirs no easy way out of this pandemic. The best strategy seems to be suppression similar to Asia. Im not sure we have the culture for that. Asian people are in general much more disciplined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

It's 130 per day. Your prediction was 300 per day a week ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

"Lost the battle"
    Jesus Christ

Sorry to hear that Jesus.

A 35 second clip that sums it up...

Sorry to hear that Jesus.

You're grand. Thanks though :)

Maybe in a year's time I'll hopefully get one of them back. Was my livelihood, what my life has been all about since I was born. Look forward to when that day comes :)

But, there's no point thinking about it. Can't be helped. Just have to enjoy what we can enjoy at the moment :)

A 35 second clip that sums it up...

That is so perfectly accurate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭hynesie08

If we've "lost the battle" shouldn't we just open everything up? If we're goners anyway, might as well get on with it.....

You're grand. Thanks though :)

Maybe in a year's time I'll hopefully get one of them back. Was my livelihood, what my life has been all about since I was born. Look forward to when that day comes :)

Children's Entertainer?

No easy way to say this, you have wasted your life.

Covid is a blessing for you.

Embrace it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Has there been any evidence to show that this may impact harder in the winter or was that just a theory?

Thought I read somewhere recently that it doesn't appear to be seasonal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭seanb85

The original mantra of "flatten the curve" is actually becoming more relevant. We need to stop the upward trends, relatively quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,647 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Southdoc seeing an increase in testing required, I thought it was only a GP referred you unless I guess very sick symptomatic etc.,

seanb85 wrote: »
    The original mantra of "flatten the curve" is actually becoming more relevant. We need to stop the upward trends, relatively quickly.

We only need to stop them before it becomes a drain on the acute hospitals.

And increase of 7 admissions in the week is not that.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Has there been any evidence to show that this may impact harder in the winter or was that just a theory?

Thought I read somewhere recently that it doesn't appear to be seasonal.

Well. I can't see how it's going to help.

But the director of the CDC who is a "Trump" guy.
    the worst fall, from a public health perspective, we’ve ever had

No sugar coating that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

"Donnelly said he is "very hopeful" Covid-19 restrictions put in place in Kildare, Laois and Offaly will be lifted next week."

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/health-minister-stephen-donnelly-very-hopeful-restrictions-in-kildare-laois-and-offaly-will-be-lifted-next-week-39455706.html?__twitter_impression=true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

froog wrote: »
    seems to be a bit of confusion growing about symptom criteria for a test. this is the latest guidance on the website.

it doesn't help that they go on to list a large list of less common symptoms without saying whether a test is required.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/symptoms.html

Last updated: 6 August 2020 at 9.55pm

If you have any common symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19), you should self-isolate and phone your GP straight away to get a coronavirus test.

Common symptoms of coronavirus include:

a fever (high temperature - 38 degrees Celsius or above)
    a cough - this can be any kind of cough, not just dry
    shortness of breath or breathing difficulties
    loss or change to your sense of smell or taste – this means you've noticed you cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal

There is no due diligence being done with referrals, you can not see a doctor, any sniffle and it's a covid test. That practice has to stop. It's a Tommy gun approach, it's why were seeing so little cases out of such massive testing. 1.8% positive = 98.2% of other ailments are not being seen to. Crazy approach that's not sustainable with schools going back and winter arriving. They need to start getting more specific. Any cough or any blocked nose is not and never has been enough to warrant a covid test.

Children's Entertainer?

No easy way to say this, you have wasted your life.

Covid is a blessing for you.

Embrace it.

I love Children....In small doses...Small, far away from me doses

But but but restrictions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

schools will be key.

Once they open we will have to see how much cases go up.

We could probably cope with 200 cases a day but if schools cause it to go 400+ we will be in trouble.

MD1990 wrote: »
    schools will be key.

We could probably cope with 200 cases a day but if schools cause it to go 400+ we will be in trouble.

I agree. I think schools should be opened before any drastic decisions are made.

• Advertisement

Don't think we've lost the battle, but we have lost ground. Slowly to begin with and then quickly. Its a pity we had a wholesale change in Govt Ministers and a new acting CMO. Maybe its just the optics of it, but cant of helped. This will be very demoralising for the public to lose hard fought easing of restrictions. The govt plan is not working, time to listen to the scientists and less of the other stakeholders(bars/airlines etc.). Why would a publican or an airline owner know how to control an infectious disease, the like of which we have not seen in most peoples lifetime. Leave it to the experts= Zero covid policy. Will we eliminate, no, but we may control it better if aim to eliminate, and slightly fail, than the current policy of general vagueness, fingers crossed and giving out to young people.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Southdoc seeing an increase in testing required, I thought it was only a GP referred you unless I guess very sick symptomatic etc.,

Out of hours services would handle referrals at the weekend, and while their GP might know that Tom is a hypochondriac, and Mary's symptoms are actually hayfever, a stranger would just refer. There would have been an increase in calls, you would imagine, when people heard the 200 number

Don't think we've lost the battle, but we have lost ground. Slowly to begin with and then quickly. Its a pity we had a wholesale change in Govt Ministers and a new acting CMO. Maybe its just the optics of it, but cant of helped. This will be very demoralising for the public to lose hard fought easing of restrictions. The govt plan is not working, time to listen to the scientists and less of the other stakeholders(bars/airlines etc.). Why would a publican or an airline owner know how to control an infectious disease, the like of which we have not seen in most peoples lifetime. Leave it to the experts= Zero covid policy. Will we eliminate, no, but we may control it better if aim to eliminate, and slightly fail, than the current policy of general vagueness, fingers crossed and giving out to young people.

I’ve been very disappointed with the blame game being played on certain groups of people lately tbh, the whole reason this spike is happening in some counties is because of poor enforcement (factories, for example.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Coronavirus Ireland: No Covid-19 briefing today as NPHET meeting held instead https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/coronavirus-briefing-postponed-monday-ireland-22534557
    I'd prefer if they were going to announce whatever they are going to announce tmw today

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

6 people seems quite low to me for southdoc in a day to be honest. For the entire south of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭seanb85

We only need to stop them before it becomes a drain on the acute hospitals.

And increase of 7 admissions in the week is not that.

Obviously not yet, but you need to act ahead of time, all the important aspects are trending slowly upwards, there is a much greater level of disease (and therefore transmission) occurring than a few weeks ago. As clusters are dealt with new ones will inevitably pop up, this will strain everything (testing, tracing, hospitals, ICU).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

LATEST TESTING UPDATE (48hrs)

Tests conducted last 48 hours: 15,885
    Tests conducted last 7 days: 54,816
    Positivity Rate: 1.6%
    Positivity Rate last 7 days: 1.3%

Wow. Think we can forget about the schools reopening tbh. We need our lazy inept government to get back from their holidays now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

6 people seems quite low to me for southdoc in a day to be honest. For the entire south of the country.

It's the increase and not the number that worried him, I think.

Was it not one GP only also, not the entire south?

GooglePlus wrote: »
    It's the increase and not the number that worried him, I think.

Was it not one GP only also, not the entire south?

SouthDoc is a phone service for the entire of the south, it’s one number and there’s usually a GP answering calls and the rest do walk ins

MD1990 wrote: »
    schools will be key.

Based on what we are seeing, I think we could manage as long as we keep it below 5k per week. At that level, we would likely have < 15 deaths per week once the care homes and vulnerable are protected.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement