Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Gael23 wrote: »
    Should we be worried about eating meat at this point?
    Be very careful with packaging (presume it's contaminated, dispose of safely and wash hands/surfaces after touching) and cook all meat very thoroughly. I haven't been buying deli meat since this started but I understand that an overwhelming majority people here think that's overkill.

We haven't bought any meat in a few weeks now but the freezer is full. We usually get it in bulk from Neighbourfood; they supply from local independent farmers and not factories. I'm fairly glad to be in that position and not needing to buy any presently, given the transmission going on in meat plants. We're sparing what we have big time, it's been no harm really and very cost-effective. We've had some savage veggie fare lately! That said, there are some serious delights in the freezer like venison and boar to look forward to for some exceptional Sunday dinners (and sambos after that).

On another note, can't wait to hear leaky Leo's comments about NPHET talks this evening. I presume they will replace the usual briefing. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭seanb85

If at 1,000 at day we were mostly still seeing asymptomatics and hospital levels and death rates were still relatively low it would be fine. Do not think that would be the case, be that is the appropriate measure. It is increasing slightly, so we will reach a tipping point

I'm not sure you understand how severely under resourced our hospital system is. A few days ago there were 268 patients in ICU, that's 18 over our normal capacity. From November through March the system works in a constant state of overcapacity, look at the trolley figures in normal times.

To introduce the capacity to deal with Covid we had to cancel most non-essential services, and beds were cleared in anticipation. If we end up doing that again we will have failed completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Thread should be gas craic this evening I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Arghus wrote: »

You should know by now which posters will post what.

They are getting ready now like greyhounds in the traps! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Hold on a minute. It's completely unfair that they are prepared to gamble on opening schools opening and not pubs, when both are equally important!

eeeh.. I guess they have some link, schools help develop brain cells... and pubs help kill them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,647 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Croke Park stood down as a testing centre.

Testing for North Dublin City and county moved to the National Show Grounds in Swords

Is there a testing centre still in every city and county?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Arghus wrote: »
    It's gas craic every evening :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Lack of demand?

HSE citing operational reasons

GooglePlus wrote: »
    If you're in North Dublin City and can't make it that far, they're also testing at the Aviva.

Not sure if you get a choice though but Swords in some journey for anyone in the city.

Yeah I did think that myself if you didn't have your own transport its a bit of a journey.

Not sure if you get a choice to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

mloc123 wrote: »
    4 weeks time.. "once we keep it under 1000 a day we should be fine" :pac:

If the death remain below two digit per day it should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Gael23 wrote: »
    Should we be worried about eating meat at this point?

Hunt and eat :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

El Sueño wrote: »
    There are circa 20 people in hospital in the whole country.

Obviously things aren't rosy but at the same time people need to get a grip.

What you don't seem to get is that we've managed to protect those most in danger if they get it but if numbers keep growing it's going to be close to impossible to protect them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is there a testing centre still in every city and county?

No, there are some places that serve up to 6 counties

El Sueño wrote: »
    There are circa 20 people in hospital in the whole country.

Obviously things aren't rosy but at the same time people need to get a grip.
    Just checked - on the day lockdown was imposed in Ireland (27 March) there were nearly 400 confirmed cases in hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

There not sending every kid with 1 symptom home or for a Covid test, if they applied HSE criteria to the letter they'd find cases, they can't function if they did that. Cough and a Sniffle fine, temp over 38 and your sent home.

The contrast in how eager childcare were to get open again and get whatever procedures in place needed to stay open compared to schools is funny.

Easy to see which sector is on full pay with 100% job security and unions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

hmmm wrote: »
    The only thing is that the "mainstream narrative" is the "mainstream" because that is what the vast majority of serious scientists think. Challenging that is all very well, but it gives the impression there is some sort of debate going on when there really isn't.

As someone once said, "alternative medicine" would just be called "medicine" if it worked.

I believe there should be debate in everything. Even if the mainstream stuff is mainstream because it is correct, healthily challenging it is what ensures it stays correct. Obviously not "de government is making u wear a mask 4 control" is in no way helpful, but the sane inputs should still be considered.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

HSE citing operational reasons
    That's a bit of an odd one because there'll be people who will find Swords too awkward and won't bother.
    As someone who relies on public transport, do I get a bus there? A taxi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

mloc123 wrote: »
    I am not sure why people are convinced the schools will be some major cause for increased cases. Childcare is now open 7 weeks with I think 2 outbreaks associated with them (one in Dublin which was a worker returning from travel and the Navan cluster).

Stark difference between a childcare facility and a school.

Also the past 7 weeks we have had fúck all virus in the community.

In reality children only had a marginal chance of catching Covid this summer compared to last.

Revisit in November and you will see why people were very concerned about schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

https://www.tippmidwestradio.com/2020/08/17/golden-testing-update/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Hse not expecting to lockdown Tipperary as a result of the outbreak in Golden

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    That's a bit of an odd one because there'll be people who will find Swords too awkward and won't bother.

Yup agree with you there.
    As I said to another poster if you dont drive its a bit of a journey which of course you shouldn't be taking on public transport

Just checked - on the day lockdown was imposed in Ireland (27 March) there were nearly 400 confirmed cases in hospital.

In fairness our lockdown was at least two weeks too late, should have been implemented once community transmission was confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Testing for North Dublin City and county moved to the National Show Grounds in Swords

That's been the case for at 2 weeks now if not more, call East region HSE public health and they'll tell you the same.

Good luck to the hundreds of thousands of people living over 5km away and with no cars.

Where do you get pre-April hospital figures out of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Good to see that Tipp won't be locked down as well

Are the national ambulance service not testing in Dublin? In Cork if you can't make it to a test centre they come to you.

• Advertisement

Where do you get pre-April hospital figures out of interest?
    They're on the dashboard
    https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/pages/hospitals-icu--testing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭obi604

this is one thing I dont get. at the start of this, there was loads of test centres around, now some are closed like croke park and a few others.

Why are they being closed? not enough demand for them is it? or am I being silly and not seeing why

obi604 wrote: »
    this is one thing I dont get. at the start of this, there was loads of test centres around, now some are closed like croke park and a few others.

Why are they being closed? not enough demand for them is it? or am I being silly and not seeing why
    Lack of demand is the primary reason. The fact is the bulk of cases are coming from 1 or 2 counties, possibly even 1 or 2 testing centres, per county.

There's been silence about this, which is why I called the HSE's public health office when I heard about someone living in Dublin was given an appointment near swords. Lives near Croke Park. Was told a couple of weeks ago that Croke Park was no longer in use, and your gp would note this to the testing appointment crowd and eventually someone from the national ambulance service would come to the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

https://www.tippmidwestradio.com/2020/08/17/golden-testing-update/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Hse not expecting to lockdown Tipperary as a result of the outbreak in Golden

RTÉ just said its increased to 29 staff members in Golden that are positive

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ll31

Are the national ambulance service not testing in Dublin? In Cork if you can't make it to a test centre they come to you.

Yep had test at home from them. Dont see sense tho in increasing demand on them as schools open and flu season approaches. Odd decision of hse to move centre so far out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

CT is low they have been saying so not so many to test. At that time they were anxious to get as many of the 2 symptoms+ as possible.

Ll31 wrote: »
    Yep had test at home from them. Dont see sense tho in increasing demand on them as schools open and flu season approaches. Odd decision of hse to move centre so far out
    Apparently it was Croke park themselves that could no longer host the test centre, according to the HSE public health officer.

It's remarkably short sighted, the last 5 months should have been spent setting up semi-permanent testing locations across the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The folk worrying about cold meats and packaging, wouldn't there have been cases highlighted by now and warnings about them, obviously the stores wouldn't be stocking them. I suppose we'll have to wait at see, I'm a fan of Horgan's Blackie ham, I'm crossing my fingers that Horgan's factory doesn't get hit with cases. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    RTÉ just said its increased to 29 staff members in Golden that are positive

Yeah that was known yesterday even though I don't think they were included in yesterday's figures,all results are due back today so expect that figure of 29 to increase

seanb85 wrote: »
    It's remarkably short sighted, the last 5 months should have been spent setting up semi-permanent testing locations across the country.

One would imagine those on the ground can count how many tests they've actually been doing daily. It all costs money and it's better not to waste it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Lack of demand is the primary reason. The fact is the bulk of cases are coming from 1 or 2 counties, possibly even 1 or 2 testing centres, per county.

Silly time to be moving out due to lack of demand. The testing centre is still using the same resources regardless of where it is, so I'd imagine the location brought this decision about.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭HeyV

What time are the numbers announced today?

• Advertisement

The folk worrying about cold meats and packaging, wouldn't there have been cases highlighted by now and warnings about them, obviously the stores wouldn't be stocking them. I suppose we'll have to wait at see, I'm a fan of Horgan's Blackie ham, I'm crossing my fingers that Horgan's factory doesn't get hit with cases. :)

As I said before, if packaged ham is a real risk, we have herd immunity to look forward to.

Staple of so many households in Ireland.

Silly time to be moving out due to lack of demand. The testing centre is still using the same resources regardless of where it is, so I'd imagine the location brought this decision about.
    Unless the vast majority of demand is coming from whatever place it has moved to, and they simply need more resources? I don't know much about Dublin tbh so not sure.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Apparently it was Croke park themselves that could no longer host the test centre, according to the HSE public health officer.
    Surprised this question hasn't been raised. If I had to get tested, I could walk to Croke Park if I needed to in under an hour. I wonder what their reasons were - hoping to be able to play some GAA taking the priority?

Surprised this question hasn't been raised. If I had to get tested, I could walk to Croke Park if I needed to in under an hour. I wonder what their reasons were - hoping to be able to play some GAA taking the priority?
    I'm thinking it's a bit early for the GAA to play there? There's no championship matches until October at least.

That depends on the capacity it requires. We don't need the equivalent of 100K tests a week available at present.

Unless the vast majority of demand is coming from whatever place it has moved to, and they simply need more resources? I don't know much about Dublin tbh so not sure.

As I mentioned, the HSE themselves said it was Croke Park who said they could no longer host it.

But would be an idea to find a new one near where hundreds of thousands actually live.

is_that_so wrote: »
    That depends on the capacity it requires. We don't need the equivalent of 100K tests a week available at present.

Well swords would allow for an increased capacity more so as congestion issues won't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

What time is briefing at today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭the corpo

What this proves, finally, is that Mushrooms are evil.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement