Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

ixoy wrote: »
    Surprised this question hasn't been raised. If I had to get tested, I could walk to Croke Park if I needed to in under an hour. I wonder what their reasons were - hoping to be able to play some GAA taking the priority?

I think it was above the pay grade of the HSE official to comment why, or what alternative would be provided (apart from using the ambulance service when they're not busy I guess)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I bought mushrooms the other day for 49 cent.

Yeah, I knew some human rights were being abused for that price.

But hey 49 cent.

Change is in my pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

28k who didn't know they had to re register maybe ??

Might become an issue for the welfare offices in the coming days.

https://twitter.com/ingridmileyRTE/status/1295398244462342144?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Well swords would allow for an increased capacity more so as congestion issues won't matter.
    They have been working on the testing system for a while so decisions like this would not be made on a whim. Swords is a great spot for the northside and a naturally isolated venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Wonder how many are sick with symptoms out of the 29?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

the corpo wrote: »
    What this proves, finally, is that Mushrooms are evil.
    I had some yesterday, evil but lovely!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

El Sueño wrote: »
    There are circa 20 people in hospital in the whole country.

Obviously things aren't rosy but at the same time people need to get a grip.

NO,,,, NO,,,,,NO, that statement is over simplifying the situation.

There are indeed 19 CONFIRMED Hospitalised cases of Covid, with 8 of them in intensive care.

There are ALSO 136 SUSPECTED Hospitalised cases of Covid, with 7 of them in ICU.

At the same time, there were a total of 412 general beds available across the health service, and 42 ICU beds available .

The people at the sharp end of the health service have been working under massive pressure and stress for nearly 6 months, and they really need to see some improvements in the numbers, not more people becoming victims as a result of an increase in cases.

There is very little spare capacity, in terms of beds, and more importantly staff to cope with a surge in numbers, and some of the issues that are causing the spikes need to be addressed.

Pubs/Restaurants need to be being monitored very closely, as there are known weak spots in the system that can result in an increase in infection/spread.

There are specific issues in the meat processing plants (and other large processing companies) that are contributing to risk. Too many people living in shared accomodation and sharing vehicles to travel to and from work, so they are effectively an extended family bubble that is not just work related, it's also then travel and living situations, and I'm not just talking about direct provision, which is another issue.

The spike in cases across Europe is making the whole holiday travel situation even more non viable than it was, and at the same time, there are new community transmission cases showing up in all of the 26 counties, so even travelling within Ireland is starting to look like an issue.

The economy can't be allowed to shut down, and the schools need to get back into action, for the sake of the mental health of the students, as well as their long term education, so in the absence of an effective vaccine, we have to urgently try and find a way to live with this virus that really does work to limit the spread.

I don't know if it's Covid fatigue, or if the virus has somehow mutated, whichever it is, the relevant medical professionals need to make sure they are getting their analysis right, and that they don't allow the politicians to dilute their recommendations in ways that will cause even more ongoing problems that make the situation worse.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,647 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

As I said before, if packaged ham is a real risk, we have herd immunity to look forward to.

Staple of so many households in Ireland.

Throw out Brady's ham :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

First case in my home town today in a meat factory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The folk worrying about cold meats and packaging, wouldn't there have been cases highlighted by now and warnings about them, obviously the stores wouldn't be stocking them. I suppose we'll have to wait at see, I'm a fan of Horgan's Blackie ham, I'm crossing my fingers that Horgan's factory doesn't get hit with cases. :)

I don't think there is a major risk here but I think people need to be careful about dismissal of others' concerns. Prior to lifting the lockdown virus rates were really low so it's unlikely multiple infected workers would have been handling the products. Since movement restrictions were lifted society was mingling to some degree actually making it more likely now than several weeks ago that a package is handled by an infected person. Then it's a question of whether the virus can survive on whatever they handle long enough for you become at risk of being exposed.

For really vulnerable folk I think they should be cautious about packages.

• Advertisement

Must be tough, you being an animal lover and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

There are indeed 19 CONFIRMED Hospitalised cases of Covid, with 8 of them in intensive care.

There are ALSO 136 SUSPECTED Hospitalised cases of Covid, with 7 of them in ICU.

At the same time, there were a total of 412 general beds available across the health service, and 42 ICU beds available .

The people at the sharp end of the health service have been working under massive pressure and stress for nearly 6 months, and they really need to see some improvements in the numbers, not more people becoming victims as a result of an increase in cases.

There is very little spare capacity, in terms of beds, and more importantly staff to cope with a surge in numbers, and some of the issues that are causing the spikes need to be addressed.

Pubs/Restaurants need to be being monitored very closely, as there are known weak spots in the system that can result in an increase in infection/spread.

There are specific issues in the meat processing plants (and other large processing companies) that are contributing to risk. Too many people living in shared accomodation and sharing vehicles to travel to and from work, so they are effectively an extended family bubble that is not just work related, it's also then travel and living situations, and I'm not just talking about direct provision, which is another issue.

The spike in cases across Europe is making the whole holiday travel situation even more non viable than it was, and at the same time, there are new community transmission cases showing up in all of the 26 counties, so even travelling within Ireland is starting to look like an issue.

The economy can't be allowed to shut down, and the schools need to get back into action, for the sake of the mental health of the students, as well as their long term education, so in the absence of an effective vaccine, we have to urgently try and find a way to live with this virus that really does work to limit the spread.

I don't know if it's Covid fatigue, or if the virus has somehow mutated, whichever it is, the relevant medical professionals need to make sure they are getting their analysis right, and that they don't allow the politicians to dilute their recommendations in ways that will cause even more ongoing problems that make the situation worse.
    There is a surge plan within the HSE for 1000 extra beds. It says this in the HSE daily update.
    Note HSE COVID-19 Surge plan includes significant additional Critical Care Beds in addition to those indicated below)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

bazermc wrote: »
    What time is briefing at today?

No briefing today. NPHET currently meeting discussing the situation as it is today and will bring their recommendations to Govt tomorrow.

I'd imagine there will be a press release at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Clusters that break out at Swinger Clubs will be known as Real Cluster Fcuks

Clusters that break out at Swinger Clubs will be known as Real Cluster Fcuks
    i shouldnt have laughed but i did ffs

There is a surge plan within the HSE for 1000 extra beds. It says this in the HSE daily update.

The HSE have a surge plan every winter for the Flu.

You can set your watch by the Flu.

They spectacularly fail every single winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Suspected cases has been discussed time and time again.

Anyone in hosptial awaiting a swab result is classified as a suspected case until the result returns.

Symptoms or no symptoms. Those staying in hosptial for a wide range of reasons are tested regularly if required.

Boggles wrote: »

I know from first hand experience that the surge plan for the flu =/= surge plan for COVID. Massively more sophisticated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,557 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think this time around there will be less of the A&E season ticket holders who clog up the entire system for everyone, Covid cleared most of them.

France has mask wearing outside mandatory too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

I know from first hand experience that the surge plan for the flu =/= surge plan for COVID. Massively more sophisticated.

Where can we see the details of our winter surge plan for Covid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

seanb85 wrote: »
    I'm not sure you understand how severely under resourced our hospital system is. A few days ago there were 268 patients in ICU, that's 18 over our normal capacity. From November through March the system works in a constant state of overcapacity, look at the trolley figures in normal times.

To introduce the capacity to deal with Covid we had to cancel most non-essential services, and beds were cleared in anticipation. If we end up doing that again we will have failed completely.

This.. 100%
    These keyboard epidemiologists seem to forget that hospitals are back doing surgery and treating all the normal non Covid patients.
    If sxxx hits the fan all elective care will be stopped where possible. And emergency/ urgent care is always ongoing, despite Covid.
    Everything just becomes much more difficult in our health system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭seanb85

You'd hope so that they will use a variant of the sophisticated covid plan for the flu in the future.

Where can we see the details of our winter surge plan for Covid?
    You can't. Not public information. Each hospital was tasked with creating their own.
    I can give you a rough idea of the CUH's plan:
    - Approximately 50 extra ICU beds
    - 200 additional regular beds
    - Massive body storage freezers were installed and they're also available for external use.

I've seen the freezers in person, not a nice sight.

You can't. Not public information. Each hospital was tasked with creating their own.
    I can give you a rough idea of the CUH's plan:
    - Approximately 50 extra ICU beds
    - 200 additional regular beds
    - Massive body storage freezers were installed and they're also available for external use.

I've seen the freezers in person, not a nice sight.

Did they solve the staffing shortages that make the regular flu surge plan unworkable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Did they solve the staffing shortages that make the regular flu surge plan unworkable?

Sounds like they'll be unfreezing doctors as needed

The surge plan was never fully required in the CUH, think the max patients they had at one stage was 80, so staffing wasn't really an issue. They don't think it'll ever get as bad as it was, and therefore don't think extra staff are required. A&E being empty assisted with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    France has mask wearing outside mandatory too
    really don't want this here, maybe if they said city centre...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Suspected cases has been discussed time and time again.

Anyone in hosptial awaiting a swab result is classified as a suspected case until the result returns.

Symptoms or no symptoms. Those staying in hosptial for a wide range of reasons are tested regularly if required.

Fair play to you Stephen. I think you have had to clarify this about 100 times at this stage. The HSE should not be publishing that figure as it is essentially nonsense and of zero value except to promote fear.

• Advertisement

Ahh. No problem then sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Isn't every person in hospital treated as a suspected case until they are tested for Covid? And yet we're not seeing the 20 turn into hundreds overnight, despite our testing turnaround being a day or two, so its pretty safe to say the vast majority of these suspected cases are not. So maybe a little less need for hysteria on that front.

Given most of our tests are turned around in a day, I think we can quote actual confirmed cases in hospital rather than 'suspected'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Anyone fancy mushroom soup for dinner?

Gael23 wrote: »
    Mushroom Soup and a side of Brady's Ham :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Goldengirl wrote: »
    This.. 100%
    These keyboard epidemiologists seem to forget that hospitals are back doing surgery and treating all the normal non Covid patients.
    If sxxx hits the fan all elective care will be stopped where possible. And emergency/ urgent care is always ongoing, despite Covid.
    Everything just becomes much more difficult in our health system.

yup, nurse i know in cork told me the backlog of non-covid stuff is massive and they are under as much pressure as ever. if covid gets out of control again, the health service is in deep sh1t.

this cross our fingers and hope things settle down approach is not working. i would imagine the government know this and will be taking action tonight.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Gael23 wrote: »
    Only the finest mushrooms - Gold(en) standard mushrooms for us.

I'll get my coat.

• Advertisement

Must be tough, you being an animal lover and all.

Agree with ya, I've an 86yr old mother with a lot underline problems, next door is rented to about 10 foreigners who wrong in the factory, she has 6 carer's coming in during the day .... a lot of people in the town carry on like there's nothing to worry about, its typical I'm all right jack attitude until it comes knocking at your door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Cahir or Thurles?

The surge plan was never fully required in the CUH, think the max patients they had at one stage was 80, so staffing wasn't really an issue. They don't think it'll ever get as bad as it was, and therefore don't think extra staff are required. A&E being empty assisted with that.

You do realise all surge plans for Covid, include stopping elective surgery and treatment again?

froog wrote: »
    yup, nurse i know in cork told me the backlog of non-covid stuff is massive and they are under as much pressure as ever. if covid gets out of control again, the health service is in deep sh1t.

this cross our fingers and hope things settle down approach is not working. i would imagine the government know this and will be taking action tonight.

Yeah look at the trolley numbers for Cork this month, 20-40 patients every single day. They can't cope comfortably with no Covid patients.

You do realise all surge plans for Covid, include stopping elective surgery and treatment again?
    I'm well aware of how hospitals work, given most of my family works for the HSE, yes.

• Advertisement

Cahir or Thurles?

Cahir

really don't want this here, maybe if they said city centre...

Yes don't want either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

The HSE Surge plans are about as realistic as Hitler's plans to win the war as he sat in his bunker with Russian Soldiers knocking on the door. The 1000 beds the HSE say will somehow appear each winter are as realistic as the fictional armies he was moving around his maps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Yeah look at the trolley numbers for Cork this month, 20-40 patients every single day. They can't cope comfortably with no Covid patients.

yup, CUH was struggling badly just before COVID. as most hospitals were.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Twenty-new-beds-for-CUH-to-alleviate-A-E-pressure-6bfedaa5-e2e5-4657-8bc3-f1d0a615f0c5-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Are they releasing figures tonight? Hopefully they’ll be lower than last week !

I'm well aware of how hospitals work, given most of my family works for the HSE, yes.

And I am quite aware too as I work in the HSE, in Dublin, where we were /and are pretty busy through this.
    I know you are not ignorant ACE, but this constant down playing of this rise in infection, is pissing me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Yes figures are released daily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

And I am quite aware too as I work in the HSE, in Dublin, where we were /and are pretty busy through this.
    I know you are not ignorant ACE, but this constant down playing of this rise in infection, is pissing me off.
    There is an ignore feature on the forum, you are welcome to use it on me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement