Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

iguana wrote: »
    I don’t understand why they do that. It makes them seem untrustworthy because I know today’s figure is false, so what else is false?
    I can’t understand this , why keep numbers back ? Are they keeping them to justify new Measures tomorrow.
    It all seems very untrustworthy and sneaky. Is it a tactic that they give low, low high and repeat or what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Reckon they are holding back the numbers so they will have a big figure tomorrow evening and they will announce more restrictions after the cabinet meeting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

20% are community transmission.

That’s 1 in 5 people have no idea how they got it.

That is concerning and the first time around would have actually been extremely alarming but hopefully now, enough people are taking proper precautions that the spread can be controlled to not get out of control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

It’s disingenuous to say we have to accept numbers at this level and this is a level the hospitals can manage.

Despite months and months of research, there is still almost zero treatments available for anyone who gets this and becomes unwell other than supportive care.

Remdesivir does not affect mortality.

Steroids may have some role but these are often given anyway in iCU setting when patients are so ill anyway their adrenals are shut down.

There is no treatment. No cure.

We cannot let this virus rip through our most vulnerable just because we are all tired and want life to be normal again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jesus we could be looking at 300 cases tomorrow.

Big stick is a coming!

No quote from Ronan either, he is disappointed in all of ye.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Everyone's so on edge in this thread. So much sniping going on. Pretty much a reflection of the outside world.

Don't think we will every be able to get ourselves in sustained good shape to adequately manage the virus with such divisions.

That's another example of a fairly inaccurate statement. You can use the function but as you post so much you're going to be constantly quoted. You're inescapable!

Invaluable is the word your looking for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

iguana wrote: »
    I don’t understand why they do that. It makes them seem untrustworthy because I know today’s figure is false, so what else is false?

How do you know they're false, just out of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

is_that_so wrote: »
    Based on a Glynn comment the weekend before last I think it's to allow the contact tracing to be completed to see if more cases come out of it.

Not getting the logic, if we know the numbers release them. Coming out tomorrow with deliberately high numbers and imposing more measures on us all is playing politics, it's to suit an agenda. They won't hold people for much longer if this is how there going to carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

JJayoo wrote: »
    Can people please start 'Thanking' eagle eye's posts, poor little guy is feeling unloved.

I don't give a toss about thanks. I'll always speak my mind whether it's a popular opinion or not.

Right now I'm not very popular because I'm against the schools reopening because it's only going to lead to a big outbreak of covid-19.

I suppose when you say things like that anybody with half a brain can see what will happen when the schools reopen then it kinda doesn't make you popular. :D

Anyways I'm glad to have many guinea pigs who are going to test out the school set up and I'll send mine back when it's proven safe. That'll probably be around March or April next year is my thinking on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

SteHam wrote: »
    No need to name them, I'm well aware of the consultants brought in and the process involved in hospital bed planning. Sláintecare has changed the face of all that you may know in relation to bed planning. I'd suggest having a word with your relative, as your view on things are a bit dated.
    Goldengirl wrote: »
    I said the constant down playing is pissing me off, not you.

Are you attacking me here saying I am not working in a hospital? What are you saying?
    If so why should anybody believe your claim of coming from a family of hospital workers?
    I have never been rude to you, don't be rude to me.
    Yes, I don't like the way you are trying to use facts and figures freely available to bolster your, often overly positive opinion.
    This was not an issue for me when we had few cases in the last few months, but I am disappointed in the lack of realism lately.
    I support many sides of this debate, including your posts usually, but I disagree with your opinion today.
    We are both entitled to our opinions and, it is up to other posters here to decide which of us is speaking from a basis of fact, generally known and available on gov.ie, and which is speaking from experience, gained from over 40 years in the Irish health service.

this is what i'm talking about ACE. people who clearly know what they are talking about and you either ignore or are rude to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,647 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Based on a Glynn comment the weekend before last I think it's to allow the contact tracing to be completed to see if more cases come out of it.

A doctor on VM News worried about how slow contact tracing follow up was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

froog wrote: »
    this is what i'm talking about ACE. people who clearly know what they are talking about and you either ignore or are rude to them.
    You talk more about me than COVID.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Goldengirl wrote: »
    I said the constant down playing is pissing me off, not you.

Are you attacking me here saying I am not working in a hospital? What are you saying?
    If so why should anybody believe your claim of coming from a family of hospital workers?
    I have never been rude to you, don't be rude to me.
    Yes, I don't like the way you are trying to use facts and figures freely available to bolster your, often overly positive opinion.
    This was not an issue for me when we had few cases in the last few months, but I am disappointed in the lack of realism lately.
    I support many sides of this debate, including your posts usually, but I disagree with your opinion today.
    We are both entitled to our opinions and, it is up to other posters here to decide which of us is speaking from a basis of fact, generally known and available on gov.ie, and which is speaking from experience, gained from over 40 years in the Irish health service.

Jesus Christ would you ever give over, please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

This makes no sense.
    Why don’t we wait for it to spread to everyone so
    before we count any cases?
    For ‘contact tracing’ obviously.

Data is not consistent , never has been.
    It’s blindingly obvious now is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

They can manipulate the numbers in order to justify their actions. The vast majority of people are sheep and see no further than the headline so doing this suits them.

Ef-Q-98-NXg-AEa352.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

eigrod wrote: »

But sure if all first time positive swabs were included, that wouldn't be the case. Why aren't journalists picking up on this either, do they avoid complicating things to make life easier?

If tomorrow's number is 50 or lower, the 7-day average will have stopped rising for the first time in 18 days.

Has David been drinking early cans?

Ef-Q-98-NXg-AEa352.png

You tell em'.

You're right and the majority of the world is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not getting the logic, if we know the numbers release them. Coming out tomorrow with deliberately high numbers and imposing more measures on us all is playing politics, it's to suit an agenda. They won't hold people for much longer if this is how there going to carry on.
    I think it is a case, as some people have said, of incomplete numbers for a given day. They look at trends so whether it's all together or spread out it will still show the same trend. Mass testing too is not always going to deliver all results in a timely manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

What was the positive tests number today that the cases number seems so odd? I have gone back a bit to look but no time/energy to go back further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Do ya wanna call me anything else or are ya finished?
    Well I noted a great post a couple of pages back by a well informed person and you quoted him nitpicking about something minor. Why? Had you nothing to say about the numbers he presented which you have not done. You are trying to make the numbers look smaller than they are and any increase is only minor and appears good news to you.

It's decreases in numbers that we want to see. That's good news.

I fully believe you just love being praised and thanked on here. IMO it's all you care about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    A doctor on VM News worried about how slow contact tracing follow up was

Seen that, based in Monaghan.

She also said she has referred 4 people for testing today that have recently returned from red countries and are displaying symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

GooglePlus wrote: »
    This craic of not releasing figures to match the positive tests is a bit baffling.

What's the goal there? If we have the data, surely the big wigs do.

Would love to be a fly on the wall in there sometimes, the case figures seem to be a spin mechanism for them.

It will all catch up eventually and if we see a daily number of 200 again this week we'll know it includes backlog cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Everyone's so on edge in this thread. So much sniping going on. Pretty much a reflection of the outside world.

Don't think we will every be able to get ourselves in sustained good shape to adequately manage the virus with such divisions.

I think we had our change and it's gone now. Even with scenes from china completely locking down, it spreading like wildfire on the cruise ship in Japan, the hospital scenes from Italy, Spain and England gaining massive amounts of cases each day, we couldn't manage it, we had to go to house parties, we had to keep the ports open, we had to keep the factories a secret.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I have multiple family members who work in the HSE, one of whom is involved in surge planning for the CUH, as I previously said. Yet another poster who fits your agenda is more trustworthy. Right, you can stop replying to me, good evening.

Do you really have to be so dismissive to posters? They can question an opinion. Even if their question is the dumbest question ever they can ask it. You don't need to take it so personally if they disagree with you or query something.

You post some really useful info posts btw but that doesn't mean others will agree. You can disagree with them without going to such extremes. You can if you wish entirely ignore them but they don't have to ignore your replies

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Ef-Q-98-NXg-AEa352.png

Facebook and whatsapp is leaking :pac: Needs more jpeg artifacts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Boggles wrote: »
    Jesus we could be looking at 300 cases tomorrow.

Big stick is a coming!

No quote from Ronan either, he is disappointed in all of ye.

Why 300 tomorrow?!

Of the cases notified today:

29 are men and 27 are women
    79% are under 45 years of age
    35 are confirmed to be associated with outbreaks or are close contacts of a confirmed case
    12 cases have been identified as community transmission
    26 are in Kildare, 13 in Dublin and the rest of the 17 cases are in Donegal, Galway, Kerry, Laois, Longford, Meath, Monaghan, Offaly, Westmeath and Wicklow

Holding back tipp I’d say until they figure will they need extra restrictions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Ah so that was the reason for the fudging.
    It reminds me of the Chinese figures which were manipulated at the time.

Government is losing credibility which is more serious than any potential benefit of sugar coating it etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭Tork

Renjit wrote: »
    Facebook and whatsapp is leaking :pac: Needs more jpeg compression

Well, he has to do something after making that comment about Sharon Stone's sister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Turtwig wrote: »
    Do you really have to be so dismissive to posters? They can question an opinion. Even if their question is the dumbest question ever they can ask it. You don't need to take it so personally if they disagree with you or query something.

You post some really useful info posts btw but that doesn't mean others will agree. You can disagree with them without going to such extremes. You can if you wish entirely ignore them but they don't have to ignore your replies

People are lining up now :D Said poster has had an issue with me for a week now, I’d rather not deal with them, cheers.

MattS1 wrote: »
    Why 300 tomorrow?!

There is 150 odd positive swabs missing, a rather large outbreak in Tipperary.

Testing and Swabbing (is that a word?) falls off a cliff at the weekend.

Add to that a real number increase in community transmission which leads to further clusters, etc, etc, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭hynesie08

MattS1 wrote: »
    Why 300 tomorrow?!

Fear boner, some people on this thread will only be happy when the dead pile up on the streets, so they can wring their hands and claim they knew it all along.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Tbf I haven't seen ACE doctoring the figures this time so can we not be bickering over nothing?

These 6pm "scuffles" are tedious and clutter up what is, unfortunately, a once again valuble resource for information?

Can we keep it factual maybe?

Oranage2 wrote: »
    We should be see the real results of sick people in the hospital in 3-4 weeks. A few weeks ago we had approx 16 a day. Now that's x10.

8 to 12 days is the normal distance from infection to acute respiratory distress. 8 days ago our 7 day average was the same as today more or less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,647 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Seen that, based in Monaghan.

She also said she has referred 4 people for testing today that have recently returned from red countries and are displaying symptoms.

Some people will not learn and still travel :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

None in Tipp today as discussed already, but also none in either Limerick or Clare. Both of those had been in the highest counties after Dublin/Kildare and sometimes Offaly/Laois for a while now each day.

• Advertisement

He gave them the propaganda number.

Not sure who was posting the Chernobyl quotes before but just know I really appreciated them.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Fear boner, some people on this thread will only be happy when the dead pile up on the streets, so they can wring their hands and claim they knew it all along.....

Yes, I am fully erect here doing simple addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

I wish they would break the numbers down a little more to show exactly where the 'community transmission' cases are occurring.

They have a handle on the clusters, but the ones where they do not have a clue where they came from are most worrying.

It would be most useful for people who are trying to assess their risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Some people will not learn and still travel :mad:

All makes sense now, expect travel restrictions tomorrow, we'll follow the UK and have quarantine rules followed by this story and about 200-300 cases that they've held back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

alroley wrote: »
    None in Tipp today as discussed already, but also none in either Limerick or Clare. Both of those had been in the highest counties after Dublin/Kildare and sometimes Offaly/Laois for a while now each day.

Fair point

I was happy to see Limerick with no cases today

Cases might be held back to tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Gruffalox wrote: »
    What was the positive tests number today that the cases number seems so odd? I have gone back a bit to look but no time/energy to go back further.

259 postive swabs in last 48hrs. 122 cases announced

137 outstanding / unaccounted for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

hynesie08 wrote: »

Guessed that...could be 3 million cases by midnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Funny how he always gets abuse for just republishing HSPC and HSE data on this thread.

Amazing how that has now been twisted in misleading data. Fairplay to you. Very perculiar mindset.

I never said that.
    Difference between " down playing" and " misleading".

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Anyone else wondering how any of our community transmission cases are people not being entirely honest about what they have been doing/where they have been?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

How do you know they're false, just out of interest?

Because there were 18 cases confirmed in Golden, Tipperary yesterday that weren’t included in yesterday’s nor today’s figures. I had presumed they were verified too late yesterday so would be included in tonight’s figures but they still haven’t been added to our total.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement