Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Ce he sin wrote: »
    Really? Tell that to someone in, say, Bergamo.

#Only the flu bro

Some still in deep denial months after this virus hit us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Has been said for months that about 1/4 of those infected are asymptomatic, we also have reports of people refusing to be tested and then others not bothering when they have symptoms so we really don't know how many are really infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

polesheep wrote: »
    We do through the hospital figures.

We don't know if they're truly asymptomatic though, as in never have even guessed they had it, or had it very mild (runny nose), or 'covid mild' (temps/aches/bedridden for 2-3 weeks)
    froog wrote: »
    I'm not up to speed with the creche story, but the meat factories they are doin blanket testing in them so you will pick up a lot of asymptomatic cases. Not sure theres any evidence of it weakening just yet, there was always speculated to be a large amount of asymptomatic cases.

Thats the hard part - 6% of known cases hospitalised, if you scale that up to the population it's 300,000 hospitalised. Now, obviously not all cases are found, but exactly how many cases we're missing isn't clear and has some impact, or a massive impact on the 300,000 number

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

i knew Russia would save the day

Cheeki breeki

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Yes, but as I said earlier, they would be expected to pass it on to weaker people and yet we are not seeing the numbers in hospitals or, thankfully, deaths.

Well its early days with those clusters yet, we wont know the full impact for a week or two id say. Also a lot of these workers are immigrants and presumably not coming in contact with older parents and grandparents etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

We don't know if they're truly asymptomatic though, as in never have even guessed they had it, or had it very mild (runny nose), or 'covid mild' (temps/aches/bedridden for 2-3 weeks)

Thats the hard part - 6% of known cases hospitalised, if you scale that up to the population it's 300,000 hospitalised. Now, obviously not all cases are found, but exactly how many cases we're missing isn't clear and has some impact, or a massive impact on the 300,000 number

When it comes down to it no one knows how much it may have already spread through the community. A quick T Cell test (if there were one) could probably tell a lot.

Hospitalisation rates would be very strongly dictated by age profile and i think after the nursing home disasters we have been much more careful with exposing at risk groups.

Well its early days with those clusters yet, we wont know the full impact for a week or two id say. Also a lot of these workers are immigrants and presumably not coming in contact with older parents and grandparents etc

That doesn't explain the steady low rate of hospitalisations. I'd say behind the scenes it has them flummoxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

We do through the hospital figures.
    I wonder do all the people who were already in hospital in Naas, and became infected in the cluster there, count as covid hospitalizations?

Hospitalisation rates would be very strongly dictated by age profile and i think after the nursing home disasters we have been much more careful with exposing at risk groups.

True, but there are plenty of at risk people behaving as normal. Also, when people living with at risk relatives go home do they wear a mask? I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Sconsey wrote: »
    Those links were good, here is a list of a few more studies (list is over a month old now, could probably be updated. Another good one here.

There are loads linked throughout this in the Masks thread.

Compile the list in google doc. Much easier to paste it to the tin foil hatters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

I was asking if Ireland was developing a vaccine..

You must be taking the piss. They'll just sit on their arses and critique everyone else's efforts and wait to be catered to. Then they'll try and stake claim to the glory because one of the scientists great grandparents was in the same room as an Irish person once.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    You must be taking the piss. They'll just sit on their arses and critique everyone else's efforts and wait to be catered to. Then they'll try and stake claim to the glory because one of the scientists great grandparents was in the same room as an Irish person once.
    There is a vaccine being developed in Cork.

[/B]

That doesn't explain the steady low rate of hospitalisations. I'd say behind the scenes it has them flummoxed.

Well we know the majority of cases are in the 30s and 40s age group so there's no mystery there really. We've known this is much more dangerous for older people for many months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Also at the start, we were hospitalizing all confirmed cases for observation, regardless of severity, so that would also skew the number of hospital cases

Is it from scratch or manufacturing an existing strain? I'm not knocking Ireland but it just annoys me when people here take pot shots against Russia as if they're a third world ****hole. They've made massive contributions to science and they're a major world player.

Is it from scratch or manufacturing an existing strain? I'm not knocking Ireland but it just annoys me when people here take pot shots against Russia as if they're a third world ****hole. They've made massive contributions to science and they're a major world player.
    GSK and Thermofisher Scientific are using Ireland for distribution and research based on what i've been told

Oxford jenner institute has a dublin man as director :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

growleaves wrote: »
    If we have a lockdown for Galway, Offaly, Limerick, Westmeath we're calling it GOWL
    If we can prevent any rise in cases in counties Cavan, Offaly, Carlow and Kilkenny would that be COCKblocking?

Not possible, us thick Irish are the worst in the world at everything

• Advertisement

spookwoman wrote: »
    Oxford jenner institute has a dublin man as director :D

Adrian Hill, yeah that was a stupid comment from me but I just find it irritating when people here knock Russia as if it's some mucky hole in the ground, it's similar to what people used to say about ireland and Irish people.

Not possible, us thick Irish are the worst in the world at everything
    if anyone can do it cork can do it

Adrian Hill, yeah that was a stupid comment from me but I just find it irritating when people here knock Russia as if it's some mucky hole in the ground, it's similar to what people used to say about ireland and Irish people.
    I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if their vaccine was completely safe and effective tbh

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if their vaccine was completely safe and effective tbh

As a technical challenge there is no reason Russia could not produce as effective a virus as any other advanced country with scientific capability. The problem people have is that Putin has in his desire to be the first, bypassed standard safety and efficacy protocol so he can sing from the rooftops of how great Russia is. I hope it works, but in essence the rollout of this vaccine is a mass safety and efficacy study

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Russia has a long standing reputation for excellent education and engineering. They do stuff that is often dismissed as substandard but usually its a pragmatic non-shiny solution that just works.

As for accusing their leadership going for the glory. How is that any different to an American President aiming for just before the election?

Edit: Go Russia Go!

We need to keep open minds with this. If America want to play politics and refuse a safe and effective Russian vaccine let them. Russia have never wronged us so we shouldn't be dragged into American bull****. Nor should we insult the country and it's scientists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

They even have a website https://sputnikvaccine.com

Not knocking you, have the same cynical view and I've already seen articles saying "The irishman leading the fight against covid" etc etc. We are great at claiming great achievement with things like irishman billy was the first man to "fill this space", his great great great grandmothers dog that was born in Ireland. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

We need to keep open minds with this. If America want to play politics and refuse a safe and effective Russian vaccine let them. Russia have never wronged us so we shouldn't be dragged into American bull****. Nor should we insult the country and it's scientists.

I'm afraid a large percentage of the Irish population are already brainwashed into thinking Russia is some backward kip. Many are incapable of thinking for themselves and buy into the group think.

• Advertisement

There is no shortage of Irish scientists working on vaccines and treatments. We simply don't have sufficient resources to develop our own vaccine, especially at an express rate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement