Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I don’t think so- I think the 136 are the leftovers. Like plenty more people admitted to hospital for various reasons were tested with very fast results- I think the 136 are the ones with no results in yet. (Someone explained it on the thread recently and I think that’s how it works)

If you are admitted to a hospital for non Covid issues you are tested. As we obviously don't want a positive person in a ward with general patients. These are the suspected number, which is a nonsense categorisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,870 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

As much as I disliked some of the decisions of the old regime, I have to say the new regime is terrible.
    They are woeful communicators, really really woeful.

I agree, Martin isn’t a great communicator, the whole administration needs to up their game in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Gruffalox wrote: »
    What fecking gallery?

I have said numerous times Im on the fence re T cells. I put it in as "Ah but T cells etc..." is a favoured response.

I am just doing sums. The sums make sense to me. It is not an attempt to belittle covid danger. I think it is a nasty disease that left run rampant would kill 0.65% of the people who get it, and a lot would get it as it is a novel virus and very contagious.

But I also believe in truth and logic. And logically the numbers are very low now compared to when we locked down during exponential growth.

Fair enough.

Why do you think that China still hasn't reopened. Despite it being negligible on a per capita basis.

They are only allowing foreigners who had residency permits apply for a visa since August 10th.

Any arrivals have to quarantine for 14 days and test negative (not or).

Do you think they are over reacting or do you think that they know something that we don't. After all there not exactly benevolent in terms go human rights. Why go to these lengths to keep out such a harmless disease?

Communism could compete with capitalism economically.
    Capitalism can't compete with communism collaboratively.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

donnelly and martin are just terrible. both give the impression of purely career politicians. at least leo and harris gave a decent impression of people who gave a ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

froog wrote: »
    donnelly and martin are just terrible. both give the impression of purely career politicians. at least leo and harris gave a decent impression of people who gave a ****.

MM reminds me of a caretaker manager of a soccer team who are destined for relegation. His only real credentials being he’s worked there for 30 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭growleaves

0 deaths
    56 new cases

0 deaths ACE?

What are you trying to imply? Stop downplaying this thing. I'm wise to all your tricks.

growleaves wrote: »
    0 deaths ACE?

What are you trying to imply? Stop downplaying this thing. I'm wise to all your tricks.

If only there was a denotification and he could have reported a resurrection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What **** did they give, destroyed the country the pair of them, how Harris still has a job is beyond me, he made a complete and utter screw up of the health service. How's his hospital coming along? We're all about saving lives, no we're not we ended 6,666 potential ones last year. I'd tar and feather the pair of them.

I don’t think it’s accurate to accuse any of them of not giving a shît... problem with Leo was he was too busy trying to focus on looking after the business person and their interests first and foremost.. priorities totally skewed...

Martin just lacks the charismatic details and get up and go toughness of a leader. Seems like a decent guy but I’d not be confident he’d have the stones to ‘take on’ the self interest business gang, Leo does, but doesn’t want to....he is despite being a medical guy... of a money monkey mindset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,686 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If only there was a denitrification and he could have reported a resurrection.

New word for the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What **** did they give, destroyed the country the pair of them, how Harris still has a job is beyond me, he made a complete and utter screw up of the health service. How's his hospital coming along? We're all about saving lives, no we're not we ended 6,666 potential ones last year. I'd tar and feather the pair of them.

Whats this about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

In fairness to both Varadkar and Harris they were exceptional through the covid situation and are greatly missed. Varadkar is exceptional in public speaking, as a leader one of the greats! Tony Holohan equally so. 3 leaders now greatly missed.
    Saying that MM deserves time and he's from Cork which means he has one great quality!!

fritzelly wrote: »
    New word for the day

Having terrible trouble with autocorrect this evening, two many posts to reply to and not enough time to proof read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

pjohnson wrote: »
    Whats this about?

Abortions I assume

Saying that MM deserves time and he's from Cork which means he has one great quality!!

He managed to get out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Beanybabog wrote: »
    Abortions I assume

Ah jaysus thought it was something someway relevant. Not that shoehorn again.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

MM reminds me of a caretaker manager of a soccer team who are destined for relegation. His only real credentials being he’s worked there for 30 years.
    Terry Connor at Wolves comes to mind with your analogy.

The previous Government were very good at a coherent, well drilled message. For all the flack Leo got about his "Strategic Communications Unit", they could very well do with one right now. Something to give a consistent message and reassure the country about the situation were' in.

In fairness to both Varadkar and Harris they were exceptional through the covid situation and are greatly missed. Varadkar is exceptional in public speaking, as a leader one of the greats! Tony Holohan equally so. 3 leaders now greatly missed.

Varadkar is a more charismatic speaker but is a human of no substance. Slow out of the blocks, profit before people AND health...we had the wrong guy holding the whip when the shît hit the fan.

I think a criticism of the present administration though is in relation to communication, that needs to improve.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ah jaysus thought it was something someway relevant. Not that shoehorn again.

You'll be a long time waiting for that in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Slow out of the blocks, more like asleep at the wheel when the alarm bells starting ringing in January with supply chain issues from China.

• Advertisement

Slow out of the blocks, more like asleep at the wheel when the alarm bells starting ringing in January with supply chain issues from China.

Yeah, Lockdown could have come faster too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Strumms wrote: »
    Varadkar is a more charismatic speaker but is a human of no substance. Slow out of the blocks, profit before people AND health...we had the wrong guy holding the whip when the shît hit the fan.

I think a criticism of the present administration though is in relation to communication, that needs to improve.

He shut down the whole country and we longer restrictions than all of Europe, you not remember we couldn't go further than to 2km from our house.

niallo27 wrote: »
    He shut down the whole country and we longer restrictions than all of Europe, you not remember we couldn't go further than to 2km from our house.

He came to the correct decision but read my post... slow out of the blocks... he needed to be proactive when the problem was manifesting and growing, instead he was reactive, he was chasing instead of standing in the way of it. Doesn’t matter what others are doing or not doing... it’s here we need to focus on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Strumms wrote: »
    He came to the correct decision but read my post... slow out of the blocks... he needed to be proactive when the problem was manifesting and growing, instead he was reactive, he was chasing instead of standing in the way of it. Doesn’t matter what others are doing or not doing... it’s here we need to focus on.

You said he choose money over people, in fact it was quite the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Fair enough.

Why do you think that China still hasn't reopened. Despite it being negligible on a per capita basis.

They are only allowing foreigners who had residency permits apply for a visa since August 10th.

Any arrivals have to quarantine for 14 days and test negative (not or).

Do you think they are over reacting or do you think that they know something that we don't. After all there not exactly benevolent in terms go human rights. Why go to these lengths to keep out such a harmless disease?

Communism could compete with capitalism economically.
    Capitalism can't compete with communism collaboratively.

I don't know. Loads of things I don't know. Hurts me head sometimes how much I don't know!

Couple of thoughts though... 1 in every 150 people dying from something that could run like wildfire through our species due to little defense and big contagiousness is not negligible on a per capita basis.
    Especially if it repeats.
    Also the long term effects of surviving it are not quantifiable yet. Maybe China fears them. Loss of productive ability in a percentage of survivors would be a big cost if the sequelae are debilitating.
    Possibilities behind caution.

Edit 150 not 180.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,976 ✭✭✭spookwoman

mloc123 wrote: »
    We HAD 1-200 admissions a day in April

Going through hub for april starting on the 3rd the most we had in 1 day was 57 admissions

niallo27 wrote: »
    You said he choose money over people, in fact it was quite the opposite.

Quite simply not the case. The reason he was slow out of the traps was not because of medical ignorance or not having the availability of good expert advice.. as the leader of FG who have always been a ‘money mans’ party he was loyal to cash and money men and their wellbeing ahead of the wellbeing of the state and the ordinary citizens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,647 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

MM has achieved his dream as Taoiseach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

spookwoman wrote: »
    Going through hub for april starting on the 3rd the most we had in 1 day was 57 admissions

I was using these figures from

https://twitter.com/osullica?s=09

I was using these figures from

https://twitter.com/osullica?s=09

Attached

• Advertisement

I don't know. Loads of things I don't know. Hurts me head sometimes how much I don't know!

Couple of thoughts though... 1 in every 150 people dying from something that could run like wildfire through our species due to little defense and big contagiousness is not negligible on a per capita basis.
    Especially if it repeats.
    Also the long term effects of surviving it are not quantifiable yet. Maybe China fears them. Loss of productive ability in a percentage of survivors would be a big cost if the sequelae are debilitating.
    Possibilities behind caution.

Edit 150 not 180.

China’s social structure also relies on a level of compliance from the population. Even in a totalitarian regime it’s difficult to govern without the consent of the people. If even 1in 1000 were to die, it could potentially lead to social and political upheaval, so instead the government are keeping their part of the bargain, keep people healthy with food on the table, and the people are still compliant

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Definitely didn't want the record for being the first party leader not to be and I don't think he would have lasted as their party leader under normal circumstances.

I think he's one of the biggest sleeveen gits in there which is some achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

By dream you mean pension right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Ah this has to be a wind up???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

China’s social structure also relies on a level of compliance from the population. Even in a totalitarian regime it’s difficult to govern without the consent of the people. If even 1in 1000 were to die, it could potentially lead to social and political upheaval, so instead the government are keeping their part of the bargain, keep people healthy with food on the table, and the people are still compliant

Also you know, if you attempt to protest the government over there you get killed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You cannot be serious. They let Italian rugby fans in here, they let skiers come home and not self-isolate, they let Liverpool fans off to a Champion's league game and they let all the racing fans off to Cheltenham. How on earth you can come out and say they did a great job is well, you must be a FG supporter or something because it's a ridiculous statement.

As for Martin, I don't hold much hope he'll be any better than those two jokers.

AdamD wrote: »
    Also you know, if you attempt to protest the government over there you get killed.

That’s only successful for so long. History is littered with regimes who pushed that too far. The Chinese regime well understand that fear will only get them so far in the face of millions dying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,976 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Attached

Have those numbers as well from the gov.ie reports. Those would be present to hospital but not all would be admitted.
    this is hub data
    523257.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Fairly vague but seems to be the speculation in media lately alright. Can't see another national lockdown and seem reluctant to do more county restrictions unless necessary. Maybe restrictions on nursing home visits say? https://twitter.com/Philip_Ryan/status/1295481752786472960?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

eagle eye wrote: »
    they let Liverpool fans off to a Champion's league game and they let all the racing fans off to Cheltenham.

You think the Government should have been physically stopping sports fans from travelling to UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

We have been chatting about this at home. Why China is being very cautious? Because it is not like over the past many hundreds of years the Chinese controlling elite whoever they were at the time gave a single fiddlers about millions of deaths. I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

We have been chatting about this at home. Why China is being very cautious? Because it is not like over the past many hundreds of years the Chinese controlling elite whoever they were at the time gave a single fiddlers about millions of deaths. I don't know.

Bad for business / world dominance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Thread here on massive party at water park in Wuhan. I don't think they're being that cautious really! https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1295255907488526336?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Where is prof Luke o neill and all the experts these days? They used to be on TV a lot and while it was overkill at the start there is very little theories being put forward now as to how it’s gonna go in 3/6/9 months etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Eod100 wrote: »
    Fairly vague but seems to be the speculation in media lately alright. Can't see another national lockdown and seem reluctant to do more county restrictions unless necessary. Maybe restrictions on nursing home visits say? https://twitter.com/Philip_Ryan/status/1295481752786472960?s=19

Not sure what they can really do, Donnelly on radio stations earlier saying no lockdowns and that they were very hopeful of lifting the one in place for the 3 counties.

Can't afford to shut down businesses again. Bar maybe as you say nursing home / hosptial restrictions and maybe advising to stay in your own county, seeing as they love kneejerk reactions probably just get rid of the green list completely, not sure what else can be brought in.

With them mentioning fatigue recently you really don't want to bring in anything too major to keep public buy in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Not sure they can advise staying in your own county

Would destroy what little tourism is keeping hotels and restaurants going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Eod100 wrote: »
    Thread here on massive party at water park in Wuhan. I don't think they're being that cautious really!

China seems to have essentially rid itself of COVID-19, so if you've done that, there's nothing to worry about.

The only two caveats are that you can't trust China when it says it has gotten rid of the disease, and even if it has, it can import it from other countries.
    Why China is being very cautious? Because it is not like over the past many hundreds of years the Chinese controlling elite whoever they were at the time gave a single fiddlers about millions of deaths. I don't know.

They would lose prestige. Why get the most gold medals in the Olympics? More to the point, they would get way more flack for creating the virus in the first place. As it stands they can say 'We may have caused the virus, but the pandemic is the fault of the West.' Frustratingly, they wouldn't be wrong there. Finally, most of the elite in China would be old enough to be worried in the event of picking up the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Not sure they can advise staying in your own county

Would destroy what little tourism is keeping hotels and restaurants going

That's true as well. Options are fairly limited.

Public opinion on restrictions seems to be alot more divided now than a few months ago when nearly everyone agreed we needed restrictions. The public bought into it and got on with it, can't see that second time round

People have much more individual freedom now though, and much more aspirations towards a more prosperous life. A major shock could easily turn hope to anger and that’s why the Chinese government will tread carefully. It’s also got to be remembered that it’s only 2 generations since the cultural revolution misdirected anger towards the perceived old elites to perpetrate those atrocities. The Chinese leadership have a good historical perspective and realise that as much as they want control, if the people no longer acquiesce that control could come under threat

That's true as well. Options are fairly limited.

Public opinion on restrictions seems to be alot more divided now than a few months ago when nearly everyone agreed we needed restrictions. The public bought into it and got on with it, can't see that second time round

People did their time... For the greater good.

Then, a bunch of food processing plants and selfish minority undid all that work. There is no public appetite to go through it again.. only for the same sectors to undo it... Again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement