Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

You have to be on a wind up.

I doubt it, going by other posts the posts come across as angry and aggressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

A few decent articles here on the actual Garda powers, which really are extremely limited

https://twitter.com/CormacJOKeeffe/status/1295662923373780993?s=19

A clear insight into the ineptitude of legislators in this Country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

GooglePlus wrote: »
    The colour of everything we know is the result of the objects interaction with light and how our eyes perceive the light as a result of the interaction. So saying the sky is blue is the same as saying the grass is green.

Not exactly correct. But this isn't the forum for such discussions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Test and trace system now taking up to four days

"The country's test and trace system for Covid 19 is now taking almost four days to complete.

The time it takes from a person being referred for a test to their close contacts being traced was three days at the start of the month.

It has now increased up to 3.8 days, as the demand for testing has risen."

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/test-and-trace-system-now-taking-up-to-four-days-1014356.html

Not much of an increase though

are some testing staff on holidays (not that they don't need a break)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Personally if it was up to me I would use batons, tasers etc. on anyone found to be violating the recommendations in this way.. Whatever it takes to knock some sense into moronic heads.

Let's not turn into Belarus over night..!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

If you want parties in the yard but not them using your loo... Paddygreen would approve, I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

I don't have a notion

Never been to Carlow lol

A number of the cases in Carlow are rumoured to be linked to the kildare meat factories.

A few decent articles here on the actual Garda powers, which really are extremely limited

https://twitter.com/CormacJOKeeffe/status/1295662923373780993?s=19

Ah nice one. I'd missed this but looks like Gardai may get new powers to enforce rules on parties. Whether that could be constitutional is another issue but maybe if emergency and temporary in context of public health situation it could be. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/coronavirus-cabinet-to-discuss-increased-garda-powers-and-new-advice-for-over-70s-1.4333002?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

ShyMets wrote: »
    Not exactly correct. But this isn't the forum for such discussions

https://www.livescience.com/32559-why-do-we-see-in-color.html

"When light hits an object – say, a banana – the object absorbs some of the light and reflects the rest of it. Which wavelengths are reflected or absorbed depends on the properties of the object.

For a ripe banana, wavelengths of about 570 to 580 nanometers bounce back. These are the wavelengths of yellow light."

So the colour of an object is dependent on how it reacts with light.

Completely off topic but it's interesting, so I said I'd mention it in response to your post.

Seems the mask chin wearers are out in force today. If only common sense was common..!

• Advertisement

Gruffalox wrote: »

If you want parties in the yard but not them using your loo... Paddygreen would approve, I feel.

:D

“Not to be used at funerals or in your grandma’s kitchen”

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Eod100 wrote: »
    Ah nice one. I'd missed this but looks like Gardai may get new powers to enforce rules on parties. Whether that could be constitutional is another issue but maybe if emergency and temporary in context of public health situation it could be. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/coronavirus-cabinet-to-discuss-increased-garda-powers-and-new-advice-for-over-70s-1.4333002?mode=amp

I have to laugh, growning concerns about the behaviour of younger people.

Its not just young people having gatherings in houses and its not young people that caused the mess in meat plants.

Yeah your right there could be a potential issue which would depend on the advice of the attorney general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Is there county breakdown tonight?

They should really be providing a daily one at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

You have to be on a wind up.

No I`m not even if others are.
    Micky 32 wrote: »
    I doubt it, going by other posts the posts come across as angry and aggressive.

Angry and aggressive due to selfish irresponsible actions like those of the absolute ****ing criminal morons who couldn't give a **** about anyone other than themselves that was clearly demonstrated in Dublin at the weekend? You bet I am pal.
    Let's not turn into Belarus over night..!

Might be something to be said for it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

"The country's test and trace system for Covid 19 is now taking almost four days to complete.

The time it takes from a person being referred for a test to their close contacts being traced was three days at the start of the month.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/test-and-trace-system-now-taking-up-to-four-days-1014356.html

These numbers are incorrect unfortunately and are getting reported in multiple places.

Journalists are adding 3 different medians together to get the 3.8 days. The population of each of the medians is different, so it's statistical nonsense. Our news media seems to be so poor at interpreting stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Angry and aggressive due to selfish irresponsible actions like those of the absolute ****ing criminal morons who couldn't give a **** about anyone other than themselves that was clearly demonstrated in Dublin at the weekend? You bet I am pal.

Criminal morons ? would ya go away ourra da!!!!

Look at the death rate of this new wave, way way less than the first , this is something that will be here for a long time, life needs to go on.

What do you want ? indefinite extended lockdown ?

Till when ? when is an acceptable time to lift it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Ah right

Didn't realise that

Our news media is poor full stop lol

If i were you i’d be checking my blood pressure right now.

Stop watching the fearmongering media, it’s damaging your health

Oranage2 wrote: »
    If I said the sky was blue you'd disagree with me

The sky is not blue blue - it only appears blue to be blue because of the way we look at it. From above its clear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I got a notification from the independent to say there are now 3 clusters in nursing homes but now I can’t find the article? Any truth in it?

• Advertisement

I got a notification from the independent to say there are now 3 clusters in nursing homes but now I can’t find the article? Any truth in it?

Assuming this is the one maybe ? 1 case in a wexford nursing home.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/this-virus-hasnt-gone-away-by-a-long-shot-nursing-home-confirms-new-covid-case-39458529.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Do the Gardai have powers to close a premises that is open past 11pm?

The colour of everything we know is the result of the objects interaction with light and how our eyes perceive the light as a result of the interaction. So saying the sky is blue is the same as saying the grass is green.

Its not really. From above the sky is clear. When you look at things from an altered perspective you may get a truer picture

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Do people really believe China dont yet have a vaccine .

Of course they do

What's the latest of the Russian one ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

This is exacty it.

People are seeing the large case numbers coming in alongside the low death number and thinking the virus has become less deadly but in reality, we are testing way more and picking up the cases we didn't back in January/February.

Once this takes hold, we'll see hospital numbers increase to early year figures along with deaths, unfortunately.

Once what takes hold, it already has. And it's not very awful at all. I love how you use the work unfortunately. Your so certain.

This npet bunch are running a thin line. Someone in government will crack and speak common sense.

Not at the moment no.

Its a public health guideline.

All that Gardai can look at in terms of pubs is the €9 meal, even at that they can't shut them down, they can only submit a file to DPP for guidance.

SeaBreezes wrote: »

Not within local clusters where some are asymptomatic and some get very ill

Do people really believe China dont yet have a vaccine .

Of course they do

What's the latest of the Russian one ?

They do have a vaccine, i believe their military are the trials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭feelings

Expect to see ~150-200 cases today.

• Advertisement

Weird. The notification definitely said 3 new clusters. They must have made a mistake. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Each of these 150 cases has 6 contacts. Are these people staying at home?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Where are you getting 150?

Weird. The notification definitely said 3 new clusters. They must have made a mistake. Thanks!

Can you pull down your notifications from the top of your phone screen to double check what it said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,644 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Waiting on a test and result also seems to be longer than 24 or 48 hours for some

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

6 people over 2 weeks, hardly outrageous. Plenty of people live with 2-4 others, so those plus a couple of people. Seems completely ordinary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Only if they say please.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

The sky is not blue blue - it only appears blue to be blue because of the way we look at it. From above its clear

The color depends on many factor like how objects interact with lights, spectrum of light, and the light that reaches us after reflection or refraction. At the end your eyes perceive colors differently from others to some degree. Other creatures see spectrum which we cannot, the colors differ even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Intersting that some in cabinet seem to be questioning the very cautious approach of NPHET

"A Cabinet source said there were concerns at the highest ranks of Cabinet that Nphet had "departed from the European mainstream in the severity of their advice" as they are "under pressure from academic commentators as opposed to solid science".

"Many countries have similar incidence or much higher incidence of Covid to Ireland and have schools open and bars open, international travel within Europe is allowed, as are gatherings of up to 5,000 people," the source said. "

I've said it before here but many other EU countries have very different views on pubs than we have. Just look at how we've reacted, trying to find loopholes left, right & centre to stay in the pub longer, publicans serving drink without food been served etc. Happening everywhere, I seen it the other day in Maynooth.
    I just don’t understand why they have 6 inside the house and 15 in the garden. What if 8 people outside need the loo?

Are you genuinely asking that? What would happen in a normal situation if 8 people needed the loo, do most houses have 8 toilets?

No, you'd just wait until whoever went to the toilet came back.

Can you pull down your notifications from the top of your phone screen to double check what it said?

No it’s gone now unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Onesea wrote: »
    Once what takes hold, it already has. And it's not very awful at all. I love how you use the work unfortunately. Your so certain.

This npet bunch are running a thin line. Someone in government will crack and speak common sense.

Did you read what I said? We're testing much more than March/May, so my point is we can't just compare now to a point earlier in the year that aligns with the number of cases we have now, as we weren't capturing all live cases then due to the lack of testing.

So I'm saying we could be in January/February in terms of timelines as opposed to March/May.

So if the above is correct, the virus really hasn't taken much of a hold yet at all compared to earlier in the year and that might explain the hospital admissions and death figures. Now we're starting to see it arise in nursing homes again, so this all could change very fast but I don't know, I'm just giving my two cents.

The use of the word unfortunately means what it means, you just took it up the wrong way to fuel your rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Naos wrote: »
    I've said it before here but many other EU countries have very different views on pubs than we have. Just look at how we've reacted, trying to find loopholes left, right & centre to stay in the pub longer, publicans serving drink without food been served etc. Happening everywhere, I seen it the other day in Maynooth.

Are you genuinely asking that? What would happen in a normal situation if 8 people needed the loo, do most houses have 8 toilets?

No, you'd just wait until whoever went to the toilet came back.

I think this is a bit of a myth, fair enough we might get more drunk but in terms of being packed into establishments and all over each other, i think you will find its a lot worse in Italian, Spanish or French cities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Well its a fact isn't it ?

During lockdown we were told stay at home, don't be visiting even your family.There were still house parties on, we all heard of them and saw them. Birthday parties, BBQs etc

Do you think any limit on numbers in a house is going to stop that now ?

If people were having them then back when we were supposed to be in lockdown they'll have them now. Especially when there is absolutely nothing to stop them.

I don't know what your point is. Are you saying there shouldn't be guidelines because people will just break them anyway?

It's gas, the rest of the world is opening up because they're following the guidelines, wearing masks, social distancing etc. but we're still in phase 3 with extra restrictions because we've chancers running factories and people having massive parties. If the video of that Berlin bar was seen globally we'd be the laughing stock of the world, 'World's worst pandemic but that won't stop the Irish partying'.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

feelings wrote: »
    Expect to see ~150 cases today.

We had all this crap with posters trying to out predict each other in the early days. It was totally inappropriate then and remains so now. Stick to commenting about actual rather than guessed figures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Seems the mask chin wearers are out in force today. If only common sense was common..!

Are you seeing them inside or outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Communist liars.

The level of discourse has seriously nosedived the past couple of pages with this unthinking US style right wing boilerplate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Are people going back into offices in Ireland and England?

I requested that I be allowed to stay working from home but my boss said that people down South were returning to offices. Is that true?

Renjit wrote: »
    The color depends on many factor like how objects interact with lights, spectrum of light, and the light that reaches us after reflection or refraction. At the end your eyes perceive colors differently from others to some degree. Other creatures see spectrum which we cannot, the colors differ even more.

Which goes back to the original contention - the OP would disagree with the responder even if he said the sky was blue. Well its only blue from one perspective, so disagreeing with someone because you have a different perspective on the subject does not necessarily mean that one is right and the other is wrong, just perceive different aspects of the same vista

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

31 positive swabs last 24hrs from 4339 tests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

Why can Sweden do what they do, yet the paddy's are living in constant restrictions being changed on a daily basis?
    None of the Irish ministers have the balls to take responsibility, and even with c19 being a minister is high paid and the job role entails a person to govern. We have a non government body running the country, there is the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

31 positive swabs last 24hrs from 4339 tests

Brilliant

That's very low

0.71% positive rate

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement