Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I don't know what your point is. Are you saying there shouldn't be guidelines because people will just break them anyway?

It's gas, the rest of the world is opening up because they're following the guidelines, wearing masks, social distancing etc. but we're still in phase 3 with extra restrictions because we've chancers running factories and people having massive parties. If the video of that Berlin bar was seen globally we'd be the laughing stock of the world, 'World's worst pandemic but that won't stop the Irish partying'.

New York opened and closed bars again because people were having street parties....

Italy has had to close it's nightclubs because of a rise in cases

UK is doing local lockdown including shutting pubs......

So why do you think ireland would be a laughing stock??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Brilliant

That's very low

0.71% positive rate

Would have to see it like this for several days before getting confidence.

Well probably still announce 70 or 80 cases this evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭hynesie08

31 positive swabs last 24hrs from 4339 tests

Not including the mushroom cluster??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Onesea wrote: »
    Why can Sweden do what they do, yet the paddy's are living in constant restrictions being changed on a daily basis?
    None of the Irish ministers have the balls to take responsibility, and even with c19 being a minister is high paid and the job role entails a person to govern. We have a non government body running the country, there is the issue.

Because we live in a different country, very straightforward really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭feelings

I didn't "guess" the figure. I haven't commented on others figures. Look back at my posts. I have been fairly accurate with my numbers.
    Beasty wrote: »
    We had all this crap with posters trying to out predict each other in the early days. It was totally inappropriate then and remains so now. Stick to commenting about actual rather than guessed figures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Are people going back into offices in Ireland and England?

I requested that I be allowed to stay working from home but my boss said that people down South were returning to offices. Is that true?

We were told last week, 1st October at the earliest now, but most of us where i work assume we won't be back this year. Lots of friends too in different companies not going back either. I work in IT though, so my job doesn't need me to be in the office, and even pre lockdown, I did days at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

US2 wrote: »
    Would have to see it like this for several days before getting confidence.

Well probably still announce 70 or 80 cases this evening

Absolutely but it starts with one day first

Still think the numbers will be high with the backlog of positive swabs from yesterday added in

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I don't know what your point is. Are you saying there shouldn't be guidelines because people will just break them anyway?

It's gas, the rest of the world is opening up because they're following the guidelines, wearing masks, social distancing etc. but we're still in phase 3 with extra restrictions because we've chancers running factories and people having massive parties. If the video of that Berlin bar was seen globally we'd be the laughing stock of the world, 'World's worst pandemic but that won't stop the Irish partying'.

Your comment was,
    "The 6 max in a house is a guideline to help stop the spread and any decent human will follow it. The way people are making it to be some north Korean type human right violation".

I'm saying what difference does telling people now 6 at a house make when there wasn't supposed to be anyone at any houses during lockdown but yet house parties were on the whole time and still continue to be on.

If the guideline wasn't followed in March & April its not going to be followed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Cheers ACE. Good to see you back after some of the agro you got yesterday!

I, for one, enjoy your posts as by Christ we all need a bit of optimism at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

titan18 wrote: »
    We were told last week, 1st October at the earliest now, but most of us where i work assume we won't be back this year. Lots of friends too in different companies not going back either. I work in IT though, so my job doesn't need me to be in the office, and even pre lockdown, I did days at home.

Same, our company have allowed some in to the office under very strict conditions if they need to, due to say small apartments, issues at home, etc, but we're not expected back at all and it'll be up to the individual. They're putting in long term plans now as many people realise being at home full time is a runner.

Also in IT, did working from home once a week or so before, but the predicted pain from the whole company (11,000+) being at home didn't happen at all. Lots down to proactive response from the company, but plenty was just the mental model of feeling you had to be in the office frequently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Wow, that is absolutely fantastic. Massive drop in positivity rate. :)

Good number that, only 1 day but good nonetheless.

Now take into account the postives from the weekend that weren't reported yesterday, probably still looking at a large enough number being "confirmed" today but aren't necessarily from today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Superb. I was afraid it would be closer to 100 and a result in a huge number of new cases later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Good number that, only 1 day but good nonetheless.

Now take into account the postives from the weekend that weren't reported yesterday, probably still looking at a large enough number being "confirmed" today but aren't necessarily from today

The daily figures aren't relevant, it's the 7 day average that needs to be looked at and those figures arent looking good.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Absolutely but it starts with one day first

Still think the numbers will be high with the backlog of positive swabs from yesterday added in

Totally agree. Assuming backlog cleared to night we should be in better shape tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Totally agree. Assuming backlog cleared to night we should be in better shape tomorrow.

Yes going to be interesting

I fully expect to see the mushroom plant numbers included today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,976 ✭✭✭spookwoman

The daily figures aren't relevant, it's the 7 day average that needs to be looked at and those figures arent looking good.

Today Hub Numbers and as we have been told the hospitals are testing everyone coming in.

Hospital tests 2761 Lab tests 1578

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Le Bruise wrote: »

I, for one, enjoy your posts as by Christ we all need a bit of optimism at the moment.

I echo this sentiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

titan18 wrote: »

Yeah that's what I thought. She's (the boss) is a bit of a spoofer to be honest. I can quite comfortably work from home as my work is all online and not front facing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

We might see a medium-high number tonight, so can expect the usual "But there were only 31 tests". Presume the mushroom clusters were in yesterdays postive count and will be in tonight's case count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭bennyl10

I requested that I be allowed to stay working from home but my boss said that people down South were returning to offices. Is that true?

we've been back in the office 3 out of 5 days since end of june

planning for full WFH again from next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Patser

This seems a very long cabinet meeting, if all they are discussing is a clampdown on pubs/house parties and asking the elderly to isolate again. That's all that the leaks are suggesting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Patser wrote: »
    This seems a very long cabinet meeting, if all they are discussing is a clampdown on pubs/house parties and asking the elderly to isolate again. That's all that the leaks are suggesting

All the social distancing and movement breaks:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Le Bruise wrote: »

For those wishing for the good news side of Covid checkout this website.
    It automatically compiles all the good news stories based on sentiment.
    Some good stories there which can so often get drowned out.

there's a nice caveat at the top of the page though.
    It’s worth reminding that these news do not change the actual situation in the world. Stay home and wash your hands.

https://www.thegoodnewscoronavirus.com/en/

Patser wrote: »

do we even know if its been on yet?
    last time it started around 3 and ended about 6

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

You obviously did not watch the Wuhan pool party if you think that.Laughing stock of the world, get a grip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Are you seeing them inside or outside?

Both. It's daft either way because say there's virus on your chin and neck they're bringing it back over their mouth and potentially inhaling it. Should be wear a mask while properly wearing it and taking it off and putting it in bag when not in use.

And 7 day average is affected by daily figures which you say aren't relevant.

Like I said its one day. Good numbers for one day but can't be read into

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Excellent numbers. I was afraid we were spiraling out of control after yesterday's numbers but this gives me hope. Not out of the woods by any stretch of the imagine but a little hope to keep us all going.

137 outstanding / unaccounted for from yesterday
    31 swabs today

168 potential cases there but doesn't account for private testing

• Advertisement

We might see a medium-high number tonight, so can expect the usual "But there were only 31 tests". Presume the mushroom clusters were in yesterdays postive count and will be in tonight's case count.

Yes. There are 130 positive swabs awaiting release so it will be a big headline tonight but at least we know where they came from and today's number based on the last 24 hrs of testing is much more positive.

That message will be lost unfortunately in the noise later .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

For those wishing for the good news side of Covid checkout this website.
    It automatically compiles all the good news stories based on sentiment.
    Some good stories there which can so often get drowned out.

there's a nice caveat at the top of the page though.

https://www.thegoodnewscoronavirus.com/en/

Bookmarked!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 irishlad123456

Back in the office full time now, was on 3 days in the office from around June time

Back in the office full time now, was on 3 days in the office from around June time

How come? What kind of safety measures are in place?

Yeah that's what I thought. She's (the boss) is a bit of a spoofer to be honest. I can quite comfortably work from home as my work is all online and not front facing.

Mates of mine who work in a few multinationals have been told January 2021 at the earliest before they are back in the office, and even that looks like it's going to be pushed out further for one of them. When they do go back it's going to be for a max of two days a week.

7 day average is flat for over a week

bennyl10 wrote: »
    we've been back in the office 3 out of 5 days since end of june

planning for full WFH again from next week

Right so management changed their mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,653 ✭✭✭✭fits

Cases of myocarditis seen even in those with asymptomatic Covid.

https://twitter.com/drtomfrieden/status/1295425648299855874?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,644 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is their a briefing update this evening after the meeting or has there been already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Talk of this has been in the news, a strain of Covid which while more contagious it's less deadly...
    I think however it's different to what they had in Asia, and was more prevalent in Europe.. Central Europe in particular..

Maybe it's now the dominant strain here, and while we will see more cases the numbers of deaths should remain at zero or close to..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Strong evidence of Immunity. No bias in this video.Potentially great news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Z6wdu1eI0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is their a briefing update this evening after the meeting or has there been already?

It was just announced on RTE Radio that a government press briefing is due to be held at around 3pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Katie Hannon on RTE just suggested an announcement could come after 3 when the meeting concludes, we'll see though.

fits wrote: »
    Cases of myocarditis seen even in those with asymptomatic Covid.

https://twitter.com/drtomfrieden/status/1295425648299855874?s=21

Loved this bit of the article

Though the study has some flaws

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,976 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Are we still using the German Labs? I asks because the testing numbers jumped into the 10,000 over the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

The level of discourse has seriously nosedived the past couple of pages with this unthinking US style right wing boilerplate.

It has nothing to do with the United States.

If you don't understand that figures released from a Communist dictatorship can't be trusted and why then you are the intellectual equivalent of an ingénue orphan wandering around hoping to be adopted by a kind family.

The propensity of people on this thread to take things at face value seems to have no bottom. It has no beginning or end.

"Hey China has only a handful of cases out of a population of 1.4 billion. We should see what they're doing right and copy them. Its too bad we don't the advantages of Communism that would be really efficient"

Just think and engage your brain. Do they have a motive for lying? Have they been trustworthy either in the recent past or the distant past? Do the numbers seem credible even forgoing these questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Talk of this has been in the news, a strain of Covid which while more contagious it's less deadly...
    I think however it's different to what they had in Asia, and was more prevalent in Europe.. Central Europe in particular..

Maybe it's now the dominant strain here, and while we will see more cases the numbers of deaths should remain at zero or close to..

This is known a while now. The original strain in Wuhan was noted to have mutated in Italy, becoming much more contagious. This strain is what spread around the world and essentially is the main strain we know today, although there are several variations of it, the Italian mutation is seen throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

The level of discourse has seriously nosedived the past couple of pages with this unthinking US style right wing boilerplate.

Over 22 million reported cases worldwide (with 5 million added since August 1st).

Around 1/4 million new cases being added every day.

Over 3/4 million reported deaths and good evidence that the pandemic is getting worse.

Yet we have the deluded dumb right wing 'flu bros' still trying to justify the inane ramblings of Trump and Bolsonaro !

Unbelievable !!!

Right so management changed their mind?

ya, cases rising and a fair few operating from Kildare, its gonna be reviewed every 2 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

That's minuscule. Great to see. Don't suppose you know total number of tests done to date? Know they used provide it odd time but haven't heard latest figure in a while.
    Heard someone on radio earlier make good point that age profile has gone down due to in part anyone with suspected covid being hospitalised being tested at start along with more severe cases. WHO saying people in 20s/30s/40s now driving it but hopefully milder cases. Of course still need to protect vulernanle and older people. But with people in Kildare, Laois and Offaly getting tested because could be asymptomatic. Plus people in age may be more likely to be working in general and then in meat plants and working in healthcare. And socialising more too of course.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement