Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Decide TV Show that was a One Season One Hit Wonder

Options
  • 10-08-2020 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭

Boardsies Decide TV Show that was a One Season One Hit Wonder

All rounds will be left open for 24 hours, you can provide a reason if you wish but nearer the final, for the last few rounds I would appreciate please a reason

If there is a tie, I will vote

Comments

I’ve only seen tiger king and I did like it. So I’m voting for that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I, Claudius
    Harper's Island

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

JP Liz V1 wrote:
    Harper's Island

JP Liz V1 wrote:
    Daybreak

Votes above. Both my noms

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Freaks and Geeks ; Wikipedia
    the show that gave Seth Rogen, James Franco, Jason Segal, Linda Cardellini, Busy Phillips, Martin Starr, and several others their start. Just a few years ahead of its time and cancelled far too soon, as NBC had no idea what a gem they had on their hands and didn't give it a chance as a result. This should be the deserving winner of the whole tournament.

Harper's Island ; Wikipedia
    another show that probably just came along a few years too soon. It was supposed to be an anthology series with a new cast of characters and murder mystery each season (like American Horror Story). Solid cast and just campy Scream/I Know What You Did Last Summer type fun.

Both of these are nominations of mine (so is Enlisted - Wikipedia) as it happens, but look I've got 51 nominations in this yoke, so not gonna keep pointing out which are mine... probably...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

quickbeam wrote: »
    I, Claudius
    Harper's Island
    Same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

I don't think I've seen any of those shows tbh, so I'll have to pass on that selection

• Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Freaks & Geeks is still on my backlog. So I'll say

Daybreak - I enjoy time loop films and TV shows like Groundhog Day and this was an entire series based on that premise. Plus it introduced me to Moon Bllodgood

Harper's Island (led by Irish actress Elaine Cassidy) - guaranteed one main character death a week and they even had a competition where people were encouraged to predict who was next to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Harpers Island, one of my noms and a great series.

Have not watched any of the others, so had to google them. I dont watch comedy bar a few Ive enjoyed. Daybreak sounds like a show I would watch.

Harpers Island and Daybreak

• Registered Users Posts: 30,581 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Harper's Island - I think it was a great 'execution' of a one season concept.

Freaks & Geeks - wonderful characters, wonderful cast. The plots were just engines to show off character moments.

* Disclaimer I haven't seen any of the other series. I Claudius is on my backlog to watch.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I’ll be only seen Tiger King and for it’s meme value alone it gets my vote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Tiger King and Freaks and Geeks (one of my nominations) get my votes.

Harpers Island sounds like it's worth a watch though.

Harper's Island ; Wikipedia
    another show that probably just came along a few years too soon. It was supposed to be an anthology series with a new cast of characters and murder mystery each season (like American Horror Story). Solid cast and just campy Scream/I Know What You Did Last Summer type fun.

Have you watched Slasher? Similar concept, 3 seasons, first 2 are very good. Season 1 also lead by an Irish actress

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,311 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Only one I've seen is Tiger King, which gets my vote just for being so mental.

Of the rest, tbh there's shows there that I've never even heard of, never mind seen.

Surprised that Harper's Island is so well known here, and equally surprised that so many people haven't seen Freaks and Geeks... I was under the impression everyone and their mother had watched Freaks and Geeks at some stage in the past 20 years given its cult status and widespread critical acclaim.
    Kolido wrote: »
    Have you watched Slasher? Similar concept, 3 seasons, first 2 are very good. Season 1 also lead by an Irish actress

I haven't watched it, but had heard of it and do intend to check it out at some point - I'd be a fan of Katie McGrath from Merlin and Supergirl, so her being the season 1 lead definitely piqued my interest for that particular series.

By the way is Day Break ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_Break ) or Daybreak ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daybreak_(2019_TV_series) ) the show that's being voted on here?

Because the Taye Diggs one is class and one I had forgotten about entirely, but the Netflix show I only thought was meh. It's not gonna change my vote, but thought it was worth pointing out there are 2 one season shows with that name, and there could potentially be a few more like that.

Is there a way, Liz, to avoid any confusion we can get a Wiki or IMDB link alongside the show when the matches are being posted maybe? Or even the year the show started?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭davetherave

Freaks and Geeks
    Enlisted

Because the Taye Diggs one is class and one I had forgotten about entirely, but the Netflix show I only thought was meh. It's not gonna change my vote, but thought it was worth pointing out there are 2 one season shows with that name, and there could potentially be a few more like that.

I loved the 2019 one! It was a great twist on the usual zombie shows imo.

Necro wrote: »
    I loved the 2019 one! It was a great twist on the usual zombie shows imo.

So its the 2019 one you've voted for? Given the reasons alongside their vote, I reckon CastorTroy is thinking its the 2006 one, so not everyone is thinking of the same show at all.

When I first saw Daybreak in the round, I did think it was the 2006 show, and it wasn't until this morning I remembered there was also a 2019 show with the same name, hence asking for clarification. ;)

So its the 2019 one you've voted for? Given the reasons alongside their vote, I reckon CastorTroy is thinking its the 2006 one, so not everyone is thinking of the same show at all.

When I first saw Daybreak in the round, I did think it was the 2006 show, and it wasn't until this morning I remembered there was also a 2019 show with the same name, hence asking for clarification. ;)

I assumed it was the 2019 show the way it is spelt, but since you pointed it out, I think I'd actually prefer the 2006 show. I will stick to my vote in any case.

• Advertisement

Kolido wrote: »
    I assumed it was the 2019 show the way it is spelt, but since you pointed it out, I think I'd actually prefer the 2006 show. I will stick to my vote in any case.

In this instance, that probably is the case to be fair, but perfectly reasonable for most of us not to remember the 2006 one was spelled as two words either - I just saw the name and instantly that was the one that sprang to mind, so reasonable to assume other who have been voting and not gone and googled the shows may be thinking its the 2006 one, which is why it would be great to get a bit more info (link to IMDB or Wikipedia would be ideal) when the matches are posted.

There are a few shows that share a name and there'd be absolutely zero distinction like there is the slight distinction between Day Break and Daybreak, so there could be instances where we're all thinking of different shows even if we're voting for the same name, if you know what I mean (and I'm not even sure I know what I mean, I'm probably not expressing my point the best way).

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

By the way is Day Break ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_Break ) or Daybreak ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daybreak_(2019_TV_series) ) the show that's being voted on here?

Is there a way, Liz, to avoid any confusion we can get a Wiki or IMDB link alongside the show when the matches are being posted maybe? Or even the year the show started?

Apologies will do

Daybreak with Taye Diggs is the one in this round

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Freaks & Geeks a brilliant show which gave many well known actors there first acting roles
    Harper's Island I was hooked on this show, I do enjoy a good whodunit type of tv/movie

I'll change from Day Break to Freaks and Geeks so, I didn't nominate the 2006 one.

So

Harper's Island and Freaks and Geeks please and thanks

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Apologies will do

Daybreak with Taye Diggs is the one in this round

Cheers for the clarification. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Whatever goes through, please let it not be bloody Tiger blooding King!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,581 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Oops, I really liked Daybreak - the 2006 Taye Diggs version. A gem of a series that deserved more attention.

But I'll stick with Harpers Island & Freaks and Greeks as my picks, though it's a much closer call now :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

mmm. . . I don't think I will be voting very much in this, sorry Liz. . . :o
    I don't know any of these TV series - only Tiger King, but didn't like it that much to vote for it.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Irish Aris wrote: »
    mmm. . . I don't think I will be voting very much in this, sorry Liz. . . :o
    I don't know any of these TV series - only Tiger King, but didn't like it that much to vote for it.

I'm sure some rounds will have shows for you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I wish they had made more Harper's Island. :( That was a great show.

Advertisement