Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Decide TV Show that was a One Season One Hit Wonder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Devs and Terriers, never heard of them but they look ok.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Firefly, I honestly think is overrated. It's okay, but I'd much rather Dark Matter

Here here! I honestly don't get the love for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Undeclared ; great show, the natural successor to Freaks & Geeks, given it was essentially the same people behind it, Seth Rogen was one of the main characters and quite a lot of the Freaks & Geeks cast guest starred. Also was the show that kickstarted the careers of Jay Baruchel and Charlie Hunnam.

Trophy Wife ; another of those late '00s/early '10s ABC sitcoms that suffered from having a terrible name and poor marketing, because much like Happy Endings and Cougar Town it's a really solid comedy that a lot of people dismissed purely because it was called Trophy Wife. And just look at some of the quality names in the cast... Bradley Whitford, Malin Akerman, Marcia Gay Harden, and Natalie Morales

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Round 4

Firefly - re-watched it recently and it's still hugely enjoyable

Good Omens - the book is one of my all-time favourite books, and they did a pretty good job with the series. Tennant and Sheen are absolutely perfectly cast and look like they were having a great time making it.

Both my nominations, so I can actually vote for shows in this round. Unlike round 5 where I've never heard of most of them so I'm passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,242 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think if you enjoyed Inception you will enjoy Reverie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I've seen Limitless and You, Me and the Apocalypse and they're both sh1te so I'm abstaining again :D

Ah...I just remembered a great show, I hope someone nominated it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Kolido wrote: »
    Ah...I just remembered a great show, I hope someone nominated it.

I'm sure LeVar did.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Round 4

Good Omens
    Reverie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

Four of my noms up in round 4.

Combat Hospital, Last Resort, The Great Outdoors, and Pan Am.

I remember way back hearing the hype about Firefly and getting some dodgy 480p downloads it, never made it past the first episode. Started again on Amazon Prime Video and got up to episode 8. Just had a look at it and it has been removed from "Included with Prime" and it's not on Netflix either but I'm honestly not pushed about not being able to finish it off. I like sci-fi, the 2003 Battlestar Galacticia would be up there as one of my favourite shows of all time, I just don't get the hype/cult around Firefly.

That note aside, of the four I've listed about The Great Outdoors is probably the weakest of those so that gets the chop.
    Watching Pan-Am again at the moment so that and Combat Hospital.

• Advertisement

I remember way back hearing the hype about Firefly and getting some dodgy 480p downloads it, never made it past the first episode. Started again on Amazon Prime Video and got up to episode 8. Just had a look at it and it has been removed from "Included with Prime" and it's not on Netflix either but I'm honestly not pushed about not being able to finish it off. I like sci-fi, the 2003 Battlestar Galacticia would be up there as one of my favourite shows of all time, I just don't get the hype/cult around Firefly.

Tbh it being cancelled after a season probably built a cult following.

Similar to Family Guy... They brought that back and now it's a steaming turd of a show.

quickbeam wrote: »
    I'm sure LeVar did.

Given that I never even heard of Reverie which sounds like a show that would be right up my alley (think it's the only show so far that I hadn't at least heard of), I'm second guessing everything about my life now, so I wouldn't be as confident.

Kol PM me what it is and I'll tell you if I nominated it or not... :D

Round 5
    Devs - Excellent sci-fi/drama/thriller set in a big tech company in California. It plays around with the many-worlds theory. Nick Offerman stars. Some really beautiful photography and weird soundtrack that suits it perfectly.

Terriers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

Passing on round 5. I haven't heard of any of them, let alone watched them.

Devs and Terrier sound interesting though. Not a vote, they just sound interesting.

Given that I never even heard of Reverie which sounds like a show that would be right up my alley (think it's the only show so far that I hadn't at least heard of), I'm second guessing everything about my life now, so I wouldn't be as confident.

Kol PM me what it is and I'll tell you if I nominated it or not... :D

Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

Round 5

Okay, this is a much harder decision, 5 of my 16 nominees are in this group

Devs is very-well put-together, but takes itself way too seriously, making it a slog at times, so I'll pass on that one

Limitless is a spin-off of the movie, and actually continues the story. Bradley Cooper appears quite often, albeit only as a guest star, while the focus shifts to a guy taking the drug and helping the FBI solve crimes. Fun show, but always felt like it had a limited shelf life (ironically)

I really liked You, Me and the Apocalypse. The end of the world is coming, and we see how seemingly disparate people deal with it. Part-serious, part-comedy, I feel like it blends well. I am glad it didn't get a second season, as I thought it got the ending it deserved

But there are two shows I prefer more, and those are:

Knight Rider (2008) - I said I loved the most recent reboot of it, so shoudn't be a massive surprise that I nominated it. Out of my 5 nominees here, it's the first one I'd be happy to watch back. Sure, they gave it a bit more sci-fi madness, but it's a show about a sentient car - where do you draw the line? :p Plus, I do love a good bit of sci-fi madness

Forever - Yes, I did specify to Liz that I wanted the 2014 crime show, not the 2018 comedy. A show about a doctor from the 1800s who inexplicably becomes immortal and ends up as a coroner in modern-day New York. Uses his centuries of experience to help solve crimes, while keeping his secret from his colleagues. Loved the mythology for the show, and I felt like they could have expanded on it further in a second season, but alas

Forever - Yes, I did specify to Liz that I wanted the 2014 crime show, not the 2018 comedy.

Ha, I had you covered. Made sure to specify I was nominating the 2014 show too.

This was a stacked match unfortunately, probably would've gotten my vote in a lot of other instances.

Almost Human - quality Sci-Fi Cop Drama with Karl Urban, well worth checking out

Awake - great premise, superb cast, I was gutted when this one was cancelled

Have to pass on Round 6, I haven't seen any of those, and haven't even heard of most of them

• Advertisement

R 6

Manimal
    Godless

Round 5

I found one that I watched!!!!!

Vote: you, me and the apocalypse

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Godless
    Almost Human

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Round 7

Band of Brothers. Only one I've heard of but, as possibly the greatest mini-series ever made, a potential overall winner imo. Now that I've said that, I bet it doesn't even get out of this round. :D

Damn, this ones a tough call, some fantastic shows in the mix... 11.22.63, Dead Set, and Sons of Tucson are all great, but have to go for...

Summer Heights High ; one of the most underrated yet genius comedies ever made, more people need to check it out

The Crazy Ones ; one of Robin Williams final projects. I watched it as it aired and it was great to see himself and Sarah Michelle Gellar on a weekly basis.

Round 7

The Whispers - Another of my nominees, again glad it only got a single season considering how they left off

11.22.63 - It's okay. I can't say I'd have any desire to watch it again but it's worth a look

APB is almost offensively bad IMO. Like someone messed up and didn't realise it was supposed to be a kid's cartoon

JP Liz V1 wrote:

JP Liz V1 wrote:
    Band of Brothers

Easy one this, Band of Brothers being one of the greatest of all time and 11.22.63 being.... Ok.

Saw some of the others. Dead Set started well but was a mess by the end.

Round 5

Thunder in Paradise - What ya gonna do brother...

Not watched the others, both almost human and awake sound great.

Going to pick Awake.

• Advertisement

Dead set - one of my noms. Not excellent by any means but being a BB fan I had to pick it.

Band of brothers - not watched this but I hear its great.

Honourable mention, 11.22.63, I see its on my imdb watchlist, one I should get around to checking out sometime.

Advertisement