Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budget stalking rifle

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Griffin Hawe in Athy had 20 or more, second hand deer calibre rifles for sale, when I was in there recently, both with and without scopes, they could be worth a call, OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Did a bit of an experiment myself this evening with 4 spare Hawke scopes I have.

Went outside at 8.20pm and ranged two marks, one was the metal foot grips on an Eircom pole at 93 meters which is surrounded by forestry behind it, the other was the top of a spruce tree at 183 meters with the sky behind it. Both are in a north easterly direction and there is no artificial light whatsoever.

1 HD Sport 3-9 x 40 left at 9 mag

2 Endurance 3-12 x 50 at 12 mag

3 Eclipse 3-12 x50 set at 12 mag - 100 yards

4 Sidewinder 10 x 42 set at 100 yards

From 8.20pm to 9.30pm I did 5 tests at regular intervals, which consisted of picking up each scope from 1-4 starting first with the spruce tree then the pole scoring visibility from 1 -10 on each mark.

From the off the 3-9 was marginally behind the others for clarity but stayed consistent until the second last test at 9.10pm when it could still make out the tiniest branches on the spruce tree but the pole was, lets put it this way you wouldn't be chancing a shot at it never mind the iron grips.

The Sidewinder was marginally better than the Eclipse until the last test when I thought they were both equal.

The Endurance started off excellent and at 9.30pm was still very good, I could make out the small top branches on the spruce no bother and could identify the iron grips on the pole albiet just about.

I had intended to check them twice more in the next 20 minutes but the last frame of snooker between Ronnie O Sullivan and Mark Selby is to blame for the fact I didn't.

It was overcast here at 8.20pm and started to rain lightly about 8.40pm and hasn't stopped since.

The Endurance was the winner tonight but I reckon the 4-16 x 50 Sidewinder, 4-16 x 50 Edgar Brothers and 4-16 x 50 Tac Vector I have mounted on my rifles are better than it.

Next time I get a chance I'll try some of the other spare scopes I have against the Endurance and then try the ones mounted against the best one.

It's a bit of craic anyway.

Followed up on the Pepsi challenge tonight starting at dusk which was 9.28pm here. For reasons pertaining to my comfort the test was down out through an open window looking east at a tree top 211 meters away.

The Endurance held it's own with the Edgar Brothers Optimate and may even have been slightly better but there wasn't a whole lot in it.

The Vector Optics Sentinel was well ahead of both of them and the Sidewinder 4-16 x 50 was even further ahead of that.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has a Sidewinder 4-16 x 50 that they can test against the expensive scopes and find out what they experience.

Roll on September.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Advertisement