Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to still just do nothing for the next 5 years - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

markodaly wrote: »
    Then you need to read the post-Francie posted.

The timelines were from a time when FG was in a minority government and in government with Labour, all of 9 years ago... yes it's an old article and god knows why we are discussing the DUP in a thread about FG...

...well I know why, you do too... but its part of the course these days isn't it.

Ah 2019 was 9 years ago was it?..... Ancient history.

More recently though.

Fine Gael audience applauds as DUP's Donaldson says Ireland should join the Commonwealth

A SUGGESTION from the DUP’s Jeffrey Donaldson that Ireland should join the Commonwealth was met with applause at Fine Gael’s National Conference.

The Northern Ireland politician said Ireland would benefit from part of the group which is primarily made up of former territories of the British Empire.

“I do hope we can come to a day when the Republic will join with many other nationals in the Commonwealth nations recognising that we have overcome a lot of adversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,173 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Then you need to read the post-Francie posted.

The timelines were from a time when FG was in a minority government and in government with Labour, all of 9 years ago... yes it's an old article and god knows why we are discussing the DUP in a thread about FG...

...well I know why, you do too... but its part of the course these days isn't it.

It was a FG conference, not a government one.

McMurphy wrote: »

More recently though.

Fine Gael audience applauds as DUP's Donaldson says Ireland should join the Commonwealth

Maybe they'll have Gregory Campbell next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Missing context.
    He made the comments while sharing a stage with senior representatives from the SDLP, Alliance party and Tánaiste Simon Coveney.

Asked for his views by reporters afterwards, Mr Coveney said joining the Commonwealth was not on the table.

He claimed delegates clapped because they were “wanting to show some warmth towards Jeffrey Donaldson”.

“Fine Gael is a generous party and we want him to feel welcome.”

The idea of Ireland joining the Commonwealth is frequently raised by Fine Gael senator Frank Feighan – but Mr Coveney said there is “probably not” a majority to support it within the party.

“It’s not something that’s on my agenda,” he added.

Missing context.

'probably not'? Was that as certain as he could be??? :D

• Advertisement

Just a question for our SF supporting regulars.

Is there something innately wrong with having a DUP elected rep speak at an event?

'probably not'? Was that as certain as he could be??? :D

Well in the context of a border poll, anything and everything will be up for discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

More recently though.

That's embarrassing.

Is there something innately wrong with having a DUP elected rep speak at an event?

Well have a look at some of the stuff this party has stood for since their foundation. Look at their record on rights and their opinions on civil liberties for all.
    If you are comfortable sitting applauding them, fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Question, is any FG TD for you NOT on the take?

I think as a party they are all complicit in getting a **** deal from the tax payer and exacerbating crises but I wouldn't think they're all on the take.

• Advertisement

smurgen wrote: »
    That's embarrassing.

The Empire Strikes back....
    The FG'ers like Leo will be singing Wolfe Tones when a border poll passes.

I think as a party they are all complicit in getting a **** deal from the tax payer and exacerbating crises but I wouldn't think they're all on the take.

So that is a no then?

Well have a look at some of the stuff this party has stood for since their foundation. Look at their record on rights and their opinions on civil liberties for all.
    If you are comfortable sitting applauding them, fine.

Yet, SF is in government with them, which is much much worse IMO.

ULSTER%20Mc%2029.jpg

Yet, SF is in government with them, which is much much worse IMO.

They don't have a choice, they are democrats. FG 'chose' to invite them. That is for FG to defend/justify.
    They are quite entitled to do it, just as I am entitled to make a judgement about that.

So that is a no then?

Want me to repeat the last line?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Absolutely yes. Having the DUP speak at an event could mean that you are reaching out to the other side in a bi-partisan way to listen to what they have to say without necessarily agreeing with them.

However, in the eyes of Sinn Fein, that is tantamount to treason to the ideal of a pure Irish Ireland, cleansed of influence from anything British.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Absolutely yes. Having the DUP speak at an event could mean that you are reaching out to the other side in a bi-partisan way to listen to what they have to say without necessarily agreeing with them.

However, in the eyes of Sinn Fein, that is tantamount to treason to the ideal of a pure Irish Ireland, cleansed of influence from anything British.

I think FG are fully entitled to create friendships and alliances, have said so all along. I don't think SF objected either.

What I think of those friendships though is my own opinion that I am entitled to.

I think FG are fully entitled to create friendships and alliances, have said so all along. I don't think SF objected either.

What I think of those friendships though is my own opinion that I am entitled to.

Yes, we know that you hold the exclusionary nationalist viewpoint that doesn't see the need for anything British on this island, so that opinion isn't unexpected.

Yes, we know that you hold the exclusionary nationalist viewpoint that doesn't see the need for anything British on this island, so that opinion isn't unexpected.

Complete lie and misrepresentation AGAIN.

I see nothing British about the religious fundamentalism of the DUP and nothing they have to say would interest me. I actually think the likes of Gregory Campbell should be doing a spell in prison.
    But again, I am a democrat, FG are free to make alliances where they may. Anyone within that party opposing a UI will be on the same side anyway, so I can see why DUP speakers would get an encouraging round of applause.

Complete lie and misrepresentation AGAIN.

I see nothing British about the religious fundamentalism of the DUP and nothing they have to say would interest me. I actually think the likes of Gregory Campbell should be doing a spell in prison.
    But again, I am a democrat, FG are free to make alliances where they may. Anyone within that party opposing a UI will be on the same side anyway, so I can see why DUP speakers would get an encouraging round of applause.

For what?

Membership of a terrorist organisation?
    Organising the disappearance of women?
    Covering up child abuse?
    Assisting child abusers to move jurisdictions?
    Smuggling?
    Killing gardai?

• Advertisement

For what?

Membership of a terrorist organisation?
    Organising the disappearance of women?
    Covering up child abuse?
    Assisting child abusers to move jurisdictions?
    Smuggling?
    Killing gardai?

oops, I caused a deflection again, focusing on a FG action on a FG thread.

If you do something illegal you should pay the price...would you agree blanch?

Absolutely. It appears SF don't though, especially in the case of our most dangerous terrorists and drug lords in their repeated efforts to dismantle the Special Criminal Court.

Absolutely. It appears SF don't though, especially in the case of our most dangerous terrorists and drug lords in their repeated efforts to dismantle the Special Criminal Court.

Open a thread in it maybe? There I will show you that people, from Amnesty to former president Mary RObinson have issues with the SCC.

Here we are discussing the alliance between the DUP and FG.

. I actually think the likes of Gregory Campbell should be doing a spell in prison.

Gregory Campbell is not a member of FG, yet you introduced the subject of his alleged criminality into this thread. All I did was ask you for what he should do prison time. You have run away from the question.

Open a thread in it maybe? There I will show you that people, from Amnesty to former president Mary RObinson have issues with the SCC.

Here we are discussing the alliance between the DUP and FG.

A fantasy creation in your mind.

Gregory Campbell is not a member of FG, yet you introduced the subject of his alleged criminality into this thread. All I did was ask you for what he should do prison time. You have run away from the question.

Incitement to hatred for a start.

Google Mr Campbell's, Sammy Wilson's etc contributions over the years. Not a prob for FG when the DUP engage in it as they have over the years, clearly. 'Mon ahead to our main event and give us a speech. :rolleyes:

Incitement to hatred for a start.

Google Mr Campbell's, Sammy Wilson's etc contributions over the years. Not a prob for FG when the DUP engage in it as they have over the years, clearly. 'Mon ahead to our main event and give us a speech. :rolleyes:

Has he been convicted of those offences in a kangaroo court, because I can't see any conviction in a normal court, which is the standard you usually apply?

Has he been convicted of those offences in a kangaroo court, because I can't see any conviction in a normal court, which is the standard you usually apply?

Where did I say anything about a conviction blanch...you setting up another strawman argument?
    I actually think the likes of Gregory Campbell should be doing a spell in prison.

Where did I say anything about a conviction blanch...you setting up another strawman argument?

Great, we are allowed to suggest people should be doing prison time without having to present any evidence or without those people being found guilty of any crime...........or is that only on this thread?

• Advertisement

Great, we are allowed to suggest people should be doing prison time without having to present any evidence or without those people being found guilty of any crime...........or is that only on this thread?

There is plenty of evidence of incitement to hatred. Form your own opinion which is what I expressed in the time honoured way of expressing an opinion.

I actually think the likes of Gregory Campbell should be doing a spell in prison.

Advertisement