Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to still just do nothing for the next 5 years - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭celt262

Francie and Blanch when the pubs open i hope the pair of you go for a drink and a chat i'd reckon ye would have a great auld cheile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    Absolutely yes. Having the DUP speak at an event could mean that you are reaching out to the other side in a bi-partisan way to listen to what they have to say without necessarily agreeing with them.

However, in the eyes of Sinn Fein, that is tantamount to treason to the ideal of a pure Irish Ireland, cleansed of influence from anything British.

Politically and democratically dealing with the DUP/SDLP/SF etc. is sound reasoning.

FG won't deal with SF in their own jurisdiction despite SF receiving a lot more votes/seats. So how on earth is FG inviting the DUP to their private members conference 'reaching out to the other side in a bi-partisan way' when they aren't even operating in the same jurisdiction? Complete spin and baloney.

Now, the DUP consider themselves British. They consider equality for gay people as wrong. They don't recognise climate change. They don't give due recognition of the Irish language. They are creationists. They've a history of being anti-Irish, towards both the culture and the community within their borders. They do not want a united Ireland.
    The Fine Gael party invite these people to speak at their private members only conference. The FG faithful cheer at the idea of Ireland joining the commonwealth.
    No wonder Flanagan and Varadkar thought a Tan/RIC commemoration was a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Politically and democratically dealing with the DUP/SDLP/SF etc. is sound reasoning.

FG won't deal with SF in their own jurisdiction despite SF receiving a lot more votes/seats. So how on earth is FG inviting the DUP to their private members conference 'reaching out to the other side in a bi-partisan way' when they aren't even operating in the same jurisdiction? Complete spin and baloney.

Now, the DUP consider themselves British. They consider equality for gay people as wrong. They don't recognise climate change. They don't give due recognition of the Irish language. They are creationists. They've a history of being anti-Irish, towards both the culture and the community within their borders. They do not want a united Ireland.
    The Fine Gael party invite these people to speak at their private members only conference. The FG faithful cheer at the idea of Ireland joining the commonwealth.
    No wonder Flanagan and Varadkar thought a Tan/RIC commemoration was a good idea.

As you have pointed out on this thread the DUP have engaged with FG, they have also engaged with FF.
    It sounds like a load of rubbish about the DUP been anti-Irish, a lot of propaganda to me. Be afraid of the big bad protestant. Are we back in the 70/80s?

Are you saying now all FG supporters want to join the commonwealth :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

As you have pointed out on this thread the DUP have engaged with FG, they have also engaged with FF.
    It sounds like a load of rubbish about the DUP been anti-Irish, a lot of propaganda to me. Be afraid of the big bad protestant. Are we back in the 70/80s?

Just read Gregory Campbell's Twitter, thats the DUP mind in full flow

• Registered Users Posts: 69,171 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Simon Coveney doesn't know the answer to that, how would anyone here.

I'd guess the party is split as the supporters would be.
    Maybe that is why Varadkar was picked to be leader by the back room boys, as COveney is keen on a UI and a border poll.

• Advertisement

Just read Gregory Campbell's Twitter, thats the DUP mind in full flow

I seen one homophobic tweet from a politician and you found day and night saying he wasn't. So bit pointless looking at twitter for information isn't it?

Simon Coveney doesn't know the answer to that, how would anyone here.

I'd guess the party is split as the supporters would be.
    Maybe that is why Varadkar was picked to be leader by the back room boys, as COveney is keen on a UI and a border poll.

The old selective quoting.
    Anything to back this up or more rubbish?

What a load of rubbish. Why do you post lies?

What lies? I'm entitled to my opinion.
    No other southern Irish party would have staked what Flanagan and Varadkar did on the Black and Tan fiasco.
    They knew they probably had plenty of support in parts of FG but seriously underestimated the rest of the people of Ireland.
    There would IMO be plenty in FG keen to come back into the ambit of the monarchy and the British.

No other southern Irish party would have staked what Flanagan and Varadkar did on the Black and Tan fiasco.
    They knew they probably had plenty of support in parts of FG but seriously underestimated the rest of the people of Ireland.
    There would IMO be plenty in FG keen to come back into the ambit of the monarchy and the British.

Everyone knows this isn't true so why bother? I don't even support FG and I know it isn't true. What is the point?
    Who has every said in FG party they want to be part of monarchy or under British rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Some bizarre posts going into this thread lately. Random claims of FG alliances with the DUP and a want to return to the British Empire, being backed with no supporting information and "IMO"s.

Are we allowed say anything we want on Current Affairs these days, no matter how absurd, as long as it is posted with an 'IMO'?

Everyone knows this isn't true so why bother? I don't even support FG and I know it isn't true. What is the point?
    Who has every said in FG party they want to be part of monarchy or under British rule?

Now that is a lie, as I never said that. I said into the 'ambit' of the monarchy and the British.
    Meaning what it would mean to rejoin the Commonwealth. Not being ruled, but in a nice hat doffing deferential relationship again. John Bruton meeting Charles. Loads of people like that in Ireland.

Now that is a lie, as I never said that. I said into the 'ambit' of the monarchy and the British.
    Meaning what it would mean to rejoin the Commonwealth. Not being ruled, but in a nice hat doffing deferential relationship again. John Bruton meeting Charles. Loads of people like that in Ireland.

So please provide a link to anyone in FG confirming. Thanks

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Some bizarre posts going into this thread lately. Random claims of FG alliances with the DUP and a want to return to the British Empire, being backed with no supporting information and "IMO"s.

Are we allowed say anything we want on Current Affairs these days, no matter how absurd, as long as it is posted with an 'IMO'?

Coveney said at that conference that there is support for rejoining the Commonwealth just not majority support. Neale Richmond said there was merit in the idea. Frank Feighan is a huge supporter...all FG

Plenty of back up there, for the point I made which was not about 'a return to the British Empire'. Why do you guys depend on mis-representing and creating strawmen to argue against?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

I won't say anything other than that's bolix, no reference to yourself.

Coveney said at that conference that there is support for rejoining the Commonwealth just not majority support. Neale Richmond said there was merit in the idea. Frank Feighan is a huge supporter...all FG

Plenty of back up there, for the point I made which was not about 'a return to the British Empire'. Why do you guys depend on mis-representing and creating strawmen to argue against?

Who's "you guys"? Common theme seems to be post something baseless and then try to step back from it when asked to support it "I never claimed that".

There's 33 Republics already in the Commonwealth by the way, you seem to not fully understand what it is. Nothing to do with being under the thumb of a British Monarchy.

Who's "you guys"? Common theme seems to be post something baseless and then try to step back from it when asked to support it "I never claimed that".

There's 33 Republics already in the Commonwealth by the way, you seem to not fully understand what it is. Nothing to do with being under the thumb of a British Monarchy.

I DIDN'T say one word about 'under British rule' or returning to 'The British Empire'. Both you guys Crazyfather and yourself invented those in order to avoid the fact their are people in FG with no issues about rejoining the commonwealth and one of them is actively campaigning for it to happen.

Deal with what I said, NOT what you think I said.

I DIDN'T say one word about 'under British rule' or returning to 'The British Empire'. Both you guys Crazyfather and yourself invented those in order to avoid the fact their are people in FG with no issues about rejoining the commonwealth and one of them is actively campaigning for it to happen.

Who in FG said they want to rejoin the commonwealth?

Who in FG said they want to rejoin the commonwealth?

Frank Feighan
    Neale Richmond thinks there is merit in the idea.
    And the proposal got a round of applause at their conference leading Simon Coveney to say:
    Mr Coveney said that there is support in Fine Gael to look “anew at the Commonwealth” but that it’s not at a “majority support at this stage”.

The back up is there CF, please stop trying to close the subject. If you don't wish to discuss it, fair enough.

Thankfully we can quote and deal with exactly what you said:
    Here we are discussing the alliance between the DUP and FG.

I mean where does a statement like that even come from?

And then this:

ambit
    noun
    the scope, extent, or bounds of something.
    I DIDN'T say one word about 'under British rule' or returning to 'The British Empire'.

Oops.

Current Affairs needs to be renamed Alternative Facts.

• Advertisement

Thankfully we can quote and deal with exactly what you said:

I mean where does a statement like that even come from?

And then this:

ambit
    noun
    the scope, extent, or bounds of something.

Oops.

Current Affairs needs to be renamed Alternative Facts.

Shame that I already explained what I meant by 'ambit'.

Post 3225 Bubba. If you are confused, I DO not mean 'A return to the BE' or 'under British Rule'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

He is winding up tonight our Francie. :D

You seem to have little to no knowledge on much of this.

Where to begin...
    Nobody disputed that FG engaged with the DUP. Kinda the bones of the discussion.
    The suggestion was put forward that FG invited the DUP to their private party member conference in an effort of 'reaching out in a bi-partisan way'. I pointed out both parties are in different jurisdictions and FG won't do same with SF who got more seats in their own. So unlikely IMO.

The DUP don't recognise or respect the Irish language and do not want a united Ireland. 'Anti-Irish' is your term. I'd suggest they want little or nothing to do with the south, our culture, or heritage.
    Possibly most ludicrously of all, "Be afraid of the big bad protestant. Are we back in the 70/80s?". Protestantism is a religion not a political party. We have protestants all over the island, some in my own family, some among my friends. You really have a simplistic view of these things.
    I'm saying they cheered the suggestion. That's a fact. Read into it what you will.

I would imagine that after a united Ireland FG would sidle up to the DUP. A better fit than FF for sure.

People should be allowed post their opinions, most certainly. Just because some people seem to have issue and try pretend they are being sold as hard fact is another matter.
    If the Tan/RIC commemoration thought us anything, the cheering at the suggestion of joining the commonwealth sealed it; some within FG pine for the glory days of the Empire IMO.

Shame that I already explained what I meant by 'ambit'.

Post 3225 Bubba. If you are confused, I DO not mean 'A return to the BE' or 'under British Rule'

So you said ambit but meant something other than ambit then?

Right so. Good stuff as always Frances.

So you said ambit but meant something other than ambit then?

Right so. Good stuff as always Frances.

Yes..'orbit' would have been better. But I explained what I meant. So no excuse for you inventing stuff. The 'British Empire' doesn't exist any more, did you not know this?

Yes..'orbit' would have been better. But I explained what I meant. So no excuse for you inventing stuff. The 'British Empire' doesn't exist any more, did you not know this?

Is this aimed at Charlie Flanagan? :)

Is this aimed at Charlie Flanagan? :)

The pile on there when I said stuff that I backed up was extraordinary.

There is support in FG for re-joining the Commonwealth, not sure why these posters are in denial of it. Touchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Richmond is more or less a loyalist. There's pictures of him at orange order parades in front of Cromwell flags.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

smurgen wrote: »
    Richmond is more or less a loyalist. There's pictures of him at orange order parades in front of Cromwell flags.

Are they actual photos,.or did Neale Photoshop himself into them? "Make sure my shoulders in front of King Billy there Lads..."

We know he's a bizzare fixation with that kind of thing. :D

• Advertisement

smurgen wrote: »

There would be many like him in FG all along the border.

Advertisement