Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to still just do nothing for the next 5 years - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Welcome to Current Affairs/Alternative Facts

• Registered Users Posts: 69,171 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

What has been said that isn't factual?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

171923946-4db5e42a-757d-48db-84d2-34d52f07a3a2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

McMurphy wrote: »
    171923946-4db5e42a-757d-48db-84d2-34d52f07a3a2.jpg

The flat out denile in the face of evidence is Trumpian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Who's "you guys"? Common theme seems to be post something baseless and then try to step back from it when asked to support it "I never claimed that".

Nothing to do with being under the thumb of a British Monarchy.

Of course, used to be called the British empire , then the British commonwealth, British monarch is the unelected head of tye British commonwealth and several of it members ..... but nothing to do with being under their thumb .... ( like say equal members of a social and customs union the Brits had a priblem with )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

I went to Pride parade. Must mean I am gay now.
    I know loads of catholic who have gone to Orange parades, are they now all unionist as well?
    I said it already, but the comments on here really are coming from the bad old days, most people have moved on, seems a few people are still stuck in the troubles.

I know loads of catholic who have gone to Orange parades, are they now all unionist as well?
    I said it already, but the comments on here really are coming from the bad old days, most people have moved on, seems a few people are still stuck in the troubles.

Richmond said the 'commonwealth had merits' long after the 'troubles'.

Not sure why you are so upset, these people in FG are not exactly hiding their views.
    And nobody is denying them the right to have them. I would love a full debate on the merits or otherwise of re-joining the commonwealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It usually means you are in support of/celebrating them..

Suckit wrote: »
    It usually means you are in support of/celebrating them..

So you think unionist or whatever name you guys want to call people can't go to St Patrick Day parade and a catholic can't go to Orange parade?
    If you actually think that lads you really are living in the dark ages. Are we allowed go to Africa day? I don't support Africa.
    I don't really support America but I do enjoy a good 4th July shindig, is that allowed?

Hate to tell you, the rest of us don't give a sh*t, we are not stuck in the dark ages.

What has been said that isn't factual?

I find the following statement with regards to a politician attending a Twelfth parade a number of years ago as a representative of the Irish Government of the time to be quiet disenguous Frances, hence the alternative facts. Also clearly set out to make it sound like he was marching along with Cromwell flags.

Trumpism alternative facts alive and well on here as can be seen with such posts.
    smurgen wrote: »
    Richmond is more or less a loyalist. There's pictures of him at orange order parades in front of Cromwell flags.

• Advertisement

So you think unionist or whatever name you guys want to call people can't go to St Patrick Day parade and a catholic can't go to Orange parade?
    If you actually think that lads you really are living in the dark ages. Are we allowed go to Africa day? I don't support Africa.
    I don't really support America but I do enjoy a good 4th July shindig, is that allowed?

Hate to tell you, the rest of us don't give a sh*t, we are not stuck in the dark ages.

The Orange Order prefer to call it a 'demonstration' and not a parade or festival.
    St. Patricks day is a completely different thing.
    Nobody said other people can't go to any parade or demonstration or walk etc.
    People are free to go to a demonstration if they so wish, but if it is an historically troublesome demonstration, and you are involved in politics, then it probably wouldn't be the smartest move to make.
    I mean, feel free to try and bullsh*t people that you are all for building bridges etc. But then you should probably attend demonstrations on the other side too.

As for Africa day or the 4th of July, - I am just curious as to why you didn't mention Mardi Gras, that would be the most fun one imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I think equating orange order parades with Pride is disappointing at best. One is borne out of hatred,bigatory and sectarism the other love, solidarity and inclusion.

I find the following statement with regards to a politician attending a Twelfth parade a number of years ago as a representative of the Irish Government of the time to be quiet disenguous Frances, hence the alternative facts. Also clearly set out to make it sound like he was marching along with Cromwell flags.

Trumpism alternative facts alive and well on here as can be seen with such posts.

The first part of the sentence, I don't know if it is a fact or not. Nor do you. The second part is demonstratively a fact if you look at the photo.

The Orange Order prefer to call it a 'demonstration' and not a parade or festival.
    St. Patricks day is a completely different thing.
    Nobody said other people can't go to any parade or demonstration or walk etc.
    People are free to go to a demonstration if they so wish, but if it is an historically troublesome demonstration, and you are involved in politics, then it probably wouldn't be the smartest move to make.
    I mean, feel free to try and bullsh*t people that you are all for building bridges etc. But then you should probably attend demonstrations on the other side too.

As for Africa day or the 4th of July, - I am just curious as to why you didn't mention Mardi Gras, that would be the most fun one imo.

Why isn't it called the "Demonstrations Commission" and not the "Parades Commission"? :P

Most politicians try to cover all parts of the community, hence why you will see TD's at Africa day in park etc. At event the polish have etc etc. Fairly standard stuff. Whats the difference here?

Why isn't it called the "Demonstrations Commission" and not the "Parades Commission"? :P

Most politicians try to cover all parts of the community, hence why you will see TD's at Africa day in park etc. At event the polish have etc etc. Fairly standard stuff. Whats the difference here?

Difference in what?

We are dicussing FG and the Commonwealth. Richmond thinks rejoining has merits.
    He is entitled to think that. Just as I am entitled to disagree.

Difference in what?

I didn't post pictures of a TD at a parade as some sort of "evidence".As I said, seems a few people here are stuck in the bad old days, most people have moved on, maybe it is time everyone else did as well.....

Do we really need these sort of comments in 2021
    smurgen wrote: »
    Richmond is more or less a loyalist. There's pictures of him at orange order parades in front of Cromwell flags.

The first part of the sentence, I don't know if it is a fact or not. Nor do you. The second part is demonstratively a fact if you look at the photo.

Surely even you can admit the way it was put in the post is disingenuous? It's pure unnecessary alternative fact Trumpism that has sent this place to the gutter.

If you can't see the difference than I can't help you.
    But I will say (as mentioned) the Orange Order prefer NOT to call it a parade or festival.
    Demonstrations (their preferred word) are usually politically motivated. Africa day, Polish day etc are celebrations of their culture and are not intended to intimidate or cause tension.

The orange walks have purposely picked up drums and pipes etc. to intimidate (their original walks never had drums or any form of music) and then they decided to start walking into Catholic area, knowing they are causing tension. They often have bomb threats and heightened security at them. Why a politician would want to be seen at one of those is beyond me unless it was for political gain.
    If it was not specifically for political gain from the 'Orange' side, then no doubt they would appear at the Republican demonstrations on O'Connell street for example.

I didn't post pictures of a TD at a parade as some sort of "evidence".As I said, seems a few people here are stuck in the bad old days, most people have moved on, maybe it is time everyone else did as well.....

Is it or is it not 'evidence' of what was said (Not to be confused with what was invented about what was said)

There's pictures of him at orange order parades in front of Cromwell flags.

Surely even you can admit the way it was put in the post is disingenuous? It's pure unnecessary alternative fact Trumpism that has sent this place to the gutter.

That there are pictures of him at an Orange march in front of a Cromwell banner?

Nothing disingenuous about that, unless there is photo-shopping going on. This, like inserting , 'return of the British Empire' into my pst is dis-ingenuous through.
    Bubbaclaus wrote:

• Advertisement

If you can't see the difference than I can't help you.
    But I will say (as mentioned) the Orange Order prefer NOT to call it a parade or festival.
    Demonstrations (their preferred word) are usually politically motivated. Africa day, Polish day etc are celebrations of their culture and are not intended to intimidate or cause tension.

The orange walks have purposely picked up drums and pipes etc. to intimidate (their original walks never had drums or any form of music) and then they decided to start walking into Catholic area, knowing they are causing tension. They often have bomb threats and heightened security at them. Why a politician would want to be seen at one of those is beyond me unless it was for political gain.
    If it was not specifically for political gain from the 'Orange' side, then no doubt they would appear at the Republican demonstrations on O'Connell street for example.

Ahh yes Drums and music......awful intimidation devices they are!!!

Why a politician would be seen at them? to promote unity between communities. Some promote divide and some parties don't.

That there are pictures of him at an Orange march in front of a Cromwell banner?

Nothing disingenuous about that, unless there is photo-shopping going on. This, like inserting , 'return of the British Empire' into my pst is dis-ingenuous through.

I quoted you directly that time Frances, literally quoted your post. If you don't understand the actual meaning of words then maybe you should consider not using them in your posts next time.

With regards to the post about him being pictured "in front" of Cromwell banners, it's a clearly disingenuous post. The banners are passing him bye in the parade. Obviously the post was worded to make it out that he was either marching in front of them or taking photos with them as some big loyalist Cromwell fanboy. Pure unadulterated scuttery.

I quoted you directly that time Frances, literally quoted your post. If you don't understand the actual meaning of words then maybe you should consider not using them in your posts next time.
    Which said nothing about 'a retuen to the British Empire' BUBBA, no matter how dis-ingenuously you want to present that as an alternative fact.
    With regards to the post about him being pictured "in front" of Cromwell banners, it's a clearly disingenuous post. The banners are passing him bye in the parade. Obviously the post was worded to make it out that he was either marching in front of them or taking photos with them as some big loyalist Cromwell fanboy. Pure unadulterated scuttery.

That's you making inferences and defending too hard. Richmond has no issues with the OO and what they stand for. Go research him.

Why a politician would be seen at them? to promote unity between communities. Some promote divide and some parties don't.
    Yes, especially coupled with the songs they play and sing. They were introduced to intimidate, whether or not it still has that capability is doubtful. But they still create tension.

You may also want to look up the Lambeg Drum.

'Promoting unity between communities' is the same as the 'building bridges bullsh*t' I was referring to. Do you honestly think that standing on the side of the road during such a demonstration is a way to do that? :rolleyes:
    Why aren't FG active up North if they are so much against division? Isn't it FG that more than anyone else brings up the past etc.? Repeatedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Not necessarily, but it would seem you support their lifestyle and wishes for society.
    Would it be fair to say same of any FG'er attending an Orange march as regards unionism?
    Yes you said it before based on misunderstanding. Saying it again is merely doubling down on the err.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Now you're trying to shift because your last claim came up short.
    They can be by the way and often are used as such on the 12th. Again, you don't seem too up on this.

The orange order represent which political party? Any affiliated aren't even in same jurisdiction as FG. You really are all over the place on this.

You really are working hard for FG. Solidarity to the coalition partners?

Now you're trying to shift because your last claim came up short.
    They can be by the way and often are used as such on the 12th. Again, you don't seem too up on this.

The orange order represent which political party? Any affiliated aren't even in same jurisdiction as FG. You really are all over the place on this.

You really are working hard for FG. Solidarity to the coalition partners?

They'll lose their sh1t at an england out of ireland banner.....but happily explain away appearing alongside uvf banners as "promoting community relations",

Scream homophobe at all critism of varadkar,but defend gregory cambell to the hilt,when his views on homosexuality are a mere google away (i wont repeat them,as its a level,im not willing to stoop to repeating)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Difference in what?

You are entitled to disagree, but not entitled to sneer.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

What a complete load of bollo from Bruton. The only public private policy is the tax payer paying over the odds for 25 year leases or giving up land for a song so they can build apartments to rent back to the council. ****ing shambles.
    They are private business looking to make profit. Nothing wrong in that but how does that marry into the housing crises only to make it more costly and therefore worse. Hes either a gombeen or on the take.

It was a very good article about the housing practices of the left-wing parties. Shout in public but quietly block all progress.

He touched on it, but didn't say it, that Sinn Fein and the others are interested in creating ghettoes of poor people that they can exploit for votes. The welfare of people isn't of interest.

The key point of Bruton's article is that without private sector involvement, local authorities will only create more Ballymuns if they follow the left-wing model.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    You are entitled to disagree, but not entitled to sneer.

I can't help being critical of an unapologetic former member of the disgraced UDR and a proud and senior member of one of the most bigoted and discriminatory political parties this island has ever seen, addressing the FG multitude to loud applause blanch.
    There is 'engaging politically' which all democratic parties should and must do but then there is 'embracing politically' which should not be done, as it gives comfort, validation and support to bigots. I shouldn't be surprised but I constantly am.

Advertisement