Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

FG to still just do nothing for the next 5 years - part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,819 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

When Jeffrey says 'our' he is not talking about personal relationships but party relationships.

Again, would you rather he said, 'our enemy'?

Francie, the GFA is over 20 years old and you still haven't learned a thing from it, have you. This sectarianist viewpoint is one for the dark ages. Come to the light Francie, stop living like its 1970 where SF/PIRA want to kill to achieve a political aim.

Interesting article in the journal today about the general discourse online.

https://www.thejournal.ie/belfast-grafitti-leo-varadkar-5344817-Feb2021/

Judging by the stuff posted here, I have to agree with Leo, Chu and Rabbitte on the type of nonsense being uttered and where a lot of this stuff is coming from.

SF has to take a stronger point of view here and call out the crap on social media when they see if and not just shrug their shoulders and move on. We all know about their secret group is just one of many.

As for your 4-5 regular anti-Leo/FG amigos, just one question. Does your posting style, tone and veracity help or hinder political discourse and encourage online hate and fake news?

Do you want to turn into America?

markodaly wrote: »

Judging by the stuff posted here, I have to agree with Leo, Chu and Rabbitte on the type of nonsense being uttered and where a lot of this stuff is coming from.

SF has to take a stronger point of view here and call out the crap on social media when they see if and not just shrug their shoulders and move on. We all know about their secret group is just one of many.

As for your 4-5 regular anti-Leo/FG amigos, just one question. Does your posting style, tone and veracity help or hinder political discourse and encourage online hate and fake news?

i would surely ask what screaming/impliing racist,bigot and homophobe at anyone dare not vote ffg,is meant to do for polical discourse??

Speaking of fake news,should the political editor of the irish indo resign for essentially saying daniel kinihan was a member of shinners,greens,and soc dems

How.anyone could take fg concerns about political discourse seriously,when we all seen the way they carried on,after people dared put a motion of no-confidence in their leader,(who we arent allowed name anymore without being accused of all sorts-great discourse there)they lost all decorum as a party imo

Look around this message board,the people being abusive and dishonest arent shinners.....what was yous hope/reasoning for honest discourse in saying martin macguiness was a monarchist??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Again, would you rather he said, 'our enemy'?

Francie, the GFA is over 20 years old and you still haven't learned a thing from it, have you. This sectarianist viewpoint is one for the dark ages. Come to the light Francie, stop living like its 1970 where SF/PIRA want to kill to achieve a political aim.

Appeals to people to stop living in the 1970s.....

Uses 1970s Paisley slogan "SF/IRA"

How in under jaysis do you expect to be taken seriously mark?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,739 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

McMurphy wrote: »

Just incredible really.

• Advertisement

Only one party leader I know of favours 'anonymous' online accounts to promote his own positions.

Guess who that is? He who speaks in forked tongue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Just incredible really.

Just incredible how you and McMurphy misrepresented his post.

Look at what was said:

"stop living like its 1970 where SF/PIRA want to kill to achieve a political aim"

SF and PIRA were more than twins back then, they were the same organisation. Using SF/PIRA in an historical context to refer to events in 1970 is perfectly appropriate. Misrepresenting that to mean it is being used in a contemporary context is not appropriate.

Just look at the response you got - denial of reality.
    Only one party leader I know of favours 'anonymous' online accounts to promote his own positions.

There is one thing that Chu, Rabbite and Varadkar have in common. They are not white Irish heterosexual males who vote for Sinn Fein. That puts a target on their back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Ah this old chestnut. All parties are up to it. None more so than FG. Let's not forget Leo implying Mary Lou was in control of a terrorists organization before the election without a shred of evidence. It doesn't get more serious than that really.

Anyway some vintage FF social media for you which is eerily relevant now.

https://twitter.com/fiannafailparty/status/696701426928644098?s=08

smurgen wrote: »
    Ah this old chestnut. All parties are up to it. None more so than FG. Let's not forget Leo implying Mary Lou was in control of a terrorists organization before the election without a shred of evidence. It doesn't get more serious than that really.

Anyway some vintage FF social media for you which is eerily relevant now.

https://twitter.com/fiannafailparty/status/696701426928644098?s=08

I think the points being raised relate to the homophobic racist and sexist nature of much of the SF-supporting contingent on Twitter. I don't see the connection with that tweet, unless you are trying to divert.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »

Look at what was said:

"stop living like its 1970 where SF/PIRA want to kill to achieve a political aim"

SF and PIRA were more than twins back then, they were the same organisation. Using SF/PIRA in an historical context to refer to events in 1970 is perfectly appropriate. Misrepresenting that to mean it is being used in a contemporary context is not appropriate.

Which is all great unless you have read this poster using the term to describe the party in the present.
    People are sick and tired of the SF/IRA weasel words that come out SF/IRA supporters that amplify and exaggerates every little deed by FG or FF or the Greens.... but when it comes to actual murder and glorifying it, then it's all, 'Nothing to see here, sure it was a war, m'kay?'

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115495790&postcount=6326
    SF/IRA
    Same same but 'different'

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115411305

That was just a quick search.

I think the points being raised relate to the homophobic racist and sexist nature of much of the SF-supporting contingent on Twitter. I don't see the connection with that tweet, unless you are trying to divert.

As this thread has shown...FG have NO ISSUE with homophobic racist and sexist parties as long as they are the RIGHT type of homophobic, racist and sexist parties. They actually invite them to their party conference and applaud them. They are also silent when this party expresses it's homophobic, racist and sexist views.

McMurphy wrote: »

SF/IRA is in the vernacular for people who know that they are both cheeks of the same arse. Let us not pretend that SF is really far removed from the murderers of the PIRA, sure we have a sitting TD from Dublin accused of committing dozens of murders on behalf of the PIRA.

So, if the shoe fits...

i would surely ask what screaming/impliing racist,bigot and homophobe at anyone dare not vote ffg,is meant to do for polical discourse??

You didn't read the article now did you!!

It's OK, it will still be there later for you to read.

But maybe you can answer, is the abuse directed at Leo and Hazel Chu acceptable in your eyes?

Exhibit 'A' on what is wrong with online political discourse, a dishonest attempt at engaging and passes off opinion as fact.

Very ironic given the article I posted.

Look at what was said:

It begs the question, are SF uncomfortable with their PIRA background and their collective colourful history of murders? After all, when MLMD went on RTE Radio and stated that 'some' people have a different interpretation of history then the mainstream, we had a collective orgasm of some here, who agreed with her.

But then, when you utter SF/IRA people don't like it... so what is it folks, you want rid of the PIRA background of SF or not? Are you ashamed of the PIRA?

Exhibit 'A' on what is wrong with online political discourse, a dishonest attempt at engaging and passes off opinion as fact.

Very ironic given the article I posted.

What's 'dishonest' about it? Why would you want to create an 'anonymous' account unless you wished to do something in secret?

It begs the question, are SF uncomfortable with their PIRA background and their collective colourful history of murders? After all, when MLMD went on RTE Radio and stated that 'some' people have a different interpretation of history then the mainstream, we had a collective orgasm of some here, who agreed with her.

But then, when you utter SF/IRA people don't like it... so what is it folks, you want rid of the PIRA background of SF or not? Are you ashamed of the PIRA?

I couldn't care less how you refer to them, as long as your friends don't try to claim you don't use the term and as long as you accept that all the main parties on this island were born out of bloodshed and violence.

Knock yourself out.

I personally voted for SF for the first time when I was happy the IRA had done what it said it would do when the GFA was signed.
    They are no different (only in the context of time passing) to FF or FG IMO, parties I was also happy to vote for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Leotheleader

SF/DUP leading the island would be fantastic for the country

Would it be sexist to say a woman couldnt run a political party and imply its men in background doing so

And what would such a suggestion imply for political discourse?

It would be sexist to imply a woman couldn't run a political party, but it wouldn't be sexist to state that a party isn't being run by the person nominally in charge.

Do you understand the difference?

• Advertisement

What's 'dishonest' about it? Why would you want to create an 'anonymous' account unless you wished to do something in secret?

Why did SF make their own Facebook group a secret?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/secret-facebook-group-reveals-bitter-tirades-and-abuse-of-sinn-f%C3%A9in-s-opponents-1.4440745
    Secret groups – and this is how they are described by Facebook – are hidden from searches, and so are invisible. They, too, require an invitation to join.

Some people who were once in the group found themselves out in the cold and unable to find it when they went looking. They presumed it had been taken down by Facebook because, as sources said, there could have been content on there that might cause problems for the party.

When contacted early in December by The Irish Times, a spokeswoman for Facebook said: “We’ve looked into this group and can confirm it is still live as a secret group. Facebook has not removed the group.”

I wonder who many other secret SF groups are out there, threatening to cut Leo's neck.

Not a good look Francie, not a good look at all!

I couldn't care less how you refer to them, as long as your friends don't try to claim you don't use the term and as long as you accept that all the main parties on this island were born out of bloodshed and violence.

Knock yourself out.

I personally voted for SF for the first time when I was happy the IRA had done what it said it would do when the GFA was signed.
    They are no different (only in the context of time passing) to FF or FG IMO, parties I was also happy to vote for.

So, you have no issue with me calling them, SF/IRA ?

Work away mark.

As this thread has shown...FG have NO ISSUE with homophobic racist and sexist parties as long as they are the RIGHT type of homophobic, racist and sexist parties. They actually invite them to their party conference and applaud them. They are also silent when this party expresses it's homophobic, racist and sexist views.

I think that this is a first here, Francie admitting that Sinn Fein are every bit as homophobic, racist and sexist as the DUP, and the only issue he has is that FG speak to one but not the other.

I would much prefer that they spoke to neither, but as a nationalist party there is an argument that FG should reach out to the other side. By giving the cold shoulder to the racists, homophobes and sexists on the nationalist side, they are also giving a signal that they want a different future.

Now, I haven't seen any press conference where FG have been asked about DUP comments and remained silent. If you have transcripts, please let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Leotheleader

FG/DUP Vs SF/IRA

Which is all great unless you have read this poster using the term to describe the party in the present.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115495790&postcount=6326

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115411305

That was just a quick search.

In the specific context that SF/PIRA was used in the specific post, there is no issue.

Why did SF make their own Facebook group a secret?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/secret-facebook-group-reveals-bitter-tirades-and-abuse-of-sinn-f%C3%A9in-s-opponents-1.4440745

I wonder who many other secret SF groups are out there, threatening to cut Leo's neck.

Not a good look Francie, not a good look at all!

I wonder how many 'anonymous' accounts are out there, pretending to be from other parties.

Very easy to say you are being attacked by supporters of a party, but never be asked to prove they are from that party.

I am a member of several 'secret' FB groups. One is an online film appreciation group you need to request to join, several others are groups specifically to do with the business I am in. There are frequent disputes on one of them where literally anything can be said and are not the views of the group admin. Same as here really.

Anyone can set up a group and call it what they want too. I could set one up and call it Fine Gael for instance. Not sure what else to say about that.

I think that this is a first here, Francie admitting that Sinn Fein are every bit as homophobic, racist and sexist as the DUP, and the only issue he has is that FG speak to one but not the other.

I would much prefer that they spoke to neither, but as a nationalist party there is an argument that FG should reach out to the other side. By giving the cold shoulder to the racists, homophobes and sexists on the nationalist side, they are also giving a signal that they want a different future.

Now, I haven't seen any press conference where FG have been asked about DUP comments and remained silent. If you have transcripts, please let us know.

Every single party in this country has had councilors or members who have expressed homophobic, racist and sexist views blanch.

Not every single party has them as 'policy' and work to institutionalise and legalise them. Except FG's 'friends' in the DUP. The DUP who want to grow their 'relationship' with FG in the future.

Own it.

Getting back on topic. FG I founds Leo Varadkar letter to the EU on the living wage a funny intervention. Seems like they're not for the pro EU directives that strengthen workers rights.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0207/1195632-minimum-wage/

• Advertisement

Just to get back to this I have sympathy for Leo and Chu if they are getting racial, sexist and homophobic abuse. It shouldn't be tolerated however when you talk of turn into american I am wondering what you mean? To be honest. I haven't seen any political party leader in Ireland post a divisive tweet like this. This really is like something an american politician would post. Maybe Varadkar could do a bit of self reflection perhaps about the issues his own careless behavior is creating?

https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1293663127809204233?s=19

Advertisement