Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to still just do nothing for the next 5 years - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

markodaly wrote: »
    Who?

Anton whatever, telly was in this evening Daithi O Se thing, anyway plastic witch's thing is giving out about d r ink and how it should be made more expensive, how any media gives that lot airtime with what they've done

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Well the debate about minimum prices for alcohol is a much wider one than just Terry Prone and her son. There are many people in favour of it, for various reasons, so let's not pretend this is just a solo run by Terry Prone.

Anyway, this has zero to do with FG, as as far as I can see, neither are members of FG nor stood for election with them.

• Site Banned Posts: 301 ✭✭Whatisthisnow

Well the debate about minimum prices for alcohol is a much wider one than just Terry Prone and her son. There are many people in favour of it, for various reasons, so let's not pretend this is just a solo run by Terry Prone.

Anyway, this has zero to do with FG, as as far as I can see, neither are members of FG nor stood for election with them.

What do you make of Josepha Madigan
    on radio saying the schools open Monday, giving alot of people a bit of hope

Turns out Govt are trying to get more classes back than NPHET say and correctly the unions disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

It what?

Fine Gael had their intentions to raise alcohol off-licence pricing in their 2011 manifesto and have been regurgitating it at every farts end they can.

IMG-20210222-235727.jpg

McMurphy wrote: »
    It what?

Fine Gael had their intentions to raise alcohol off-licence pricing in their 2011 manifesto and have been regurgitating it at every farts end they can.

IMG-20210222-235727.jpg

Oh, a ten-year-old Manifesto.... you got me good! :rolleyes::pac:

The SNP brought this into Scotland a few years ago, the sky didn't fall in, did it?
    Wales also too bought it in last year, and shock horror, there is talk about the North doing similar.....

What is SF's opinion on the matter?

https://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/42097
    “I welcome the ruling today in the Court of Session in Edinburgh. The ruling has been much anticipated and is a positive and encouraging development when we consider that next week the Public Health (Alcohol) Bill 2015 returns to the Seanad.

“The package of measures in this Bill, including those relating to minimum unit pricing, move to address public health concerns in Ireland as a result of alcohol consumption. The Scottish ruling has underpinned that no other alternative in the area of taxation would have a similar or better result in terms of protecting health.

Yes, SF are ALSO in favour of minimum price levels for alcohol

I think I can hear a truck going into reverse. :pac::pac:

Tell me, if SF are in favour of it, is not a 'good' idea? ;)

• Advertisement

The SNP brought this into Scotland a few years ago, the sky didn't fall in, did it?
    Wales also too bought it in last year, and shock horror, there is talk about the North doing similar.....

Tbf i do think a tax on takeaways and suger should be introduced,while using money raised to subsidise healthy meals for kids etc

The rationale for not closing take aways in 1st lockdown was because something like 40% of calories consumed here are from take-aways.....this is lunacy,embarassing as a nation and needs tackling to ward off health issues long term,

But but but... if FG proposes it, it must be 'bad'. That is the usual logic around these parts.

But as can be demonstrated, like the smoking ban, there is cross-party support for the minimum alcohol pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The thing is, FG have most recently banned alcohol promotions. No more buy 6 for €50, or €10 off if you spend €50 or collecting loyalty points. All gone.

Bet you some of the same people complaining about FG not keeping election promises complained about them keeping them!!!

Tbf i do think a tax on takeaways and suger should be introduced,while using money raised to subsidise healthy meals for kids etc

The rationale for not closing take aways in 1st lockdown was because something like 40% of calories consumed here are from take-aways.....this is lunacy,embarassing as a nation and needs tackling to ward off health issues long term,

There is a tax on sugar, coke now costs more as a result!!!

But but but... if FG proposes it, it must be 'bad'. That is the usual logic around these parts.

But as can be demonstrated, like the smoking ban, there is cross-party support for the minimum alcohol pricing.

Its not bad though??
    Its common sense.....FG are notrious for always proposing laws,which the obvious outworking of them will line pockets of business

Take the alcohol and min pricing,floated on same day as extending pub opening hours ......which do you think,is likely to be enacted first?

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    There is a tax on sugar, coke now costs more as a result!!!

They need to ramp up tax on MSG and its similar componants in food,this sh1t destroys peoples health and is addictive in similar vain to fags

Its not bad though??
    Its common sense.....FG are notrious for always proposing laws,which the obvious outworking of them will line pockets of business

Take the alcohol and min pricing,floated on same day as extending pub opening hours ......which do you think,is likely to be enacted first?

It is in the PFG, so it is happening. But I guess Covid has put it on the backburner for now.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/7e05d-programme-for-government-our-shared-future/
    Alcohol
    · Continue to implement the Public Health (Alcohol) Act
    and honour our longstanding commitment to introducing
    minimum unit pricing in consultation with Northern
    Ireland.

What do you make of Josepha Madigan
    on radio saying the schools open Monday, giving alot of people a bit of hope

Turns out Govt are trying to get more classes back than NPHET say and correctly the unions disagree

No comment

It is in the PFG, so it is happening. But I guess Covid has put it on the backburner for now.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/7e05d-programme-for-government-our-shared-future/

personally i remain skeptical and if was a gambler,would punt on pub opening hours to be extended well before min alcohol pricing

Its fg ultimate failing,yanno

Trying to represent the interests of public and business,particularly big business simutaneously,its a fallacy doomed to failure,

as in a situation needing compromise(in normal times),the ones with money will always come out on top,and excuse after excuse will always be found

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

She's a crook, caught and jailed, no one hiding or trying to protect her.
    Jailed and justice done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

No comment

You posted at 23.47 and then at 00.50
    Most people are still working so way past bedtime, especially on a school night

Maybe link to what you are talking about could be an idea. Thanks mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Jailed and justice done.

Great to see the legal system in Ireland is working and locking up these people.

Jailed and justice done.

I also noticed the word "ex-"

Martin Ferris is not an ex-member of SF, neither is Dessie Ellis, nor the Kingspan bread man or the racist homophobe councillor from Tallaght. Then there is the convicted terrorist appointed a few weeks ago to run education in Northern Ireland. The list goes on.

Whenever it comes to a person of wrongdoing in FF or FG, the prefix "ex-" nearly always applies. With SF it is never there, as they stick by their own (unless they are an informer in which case they are shot and disappeared).

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Martin Ferris is not an ex-member of SF, neither is Dessie Ellis, nor the Kingspan bread man or the racist homophobe councillor from Tallaght. Then there is the convicted terrorist appointed a few weeks ago to run education in Northern Ireland. The list goes on.

Whenever it comes to a person of wrongdoing in FF or FG, the prefix "ex-" nearly always applies. With SF it is never there, as they stick by their own (unless they are an informer in which case they are shot and disappeared).

She was a former candidate...i.e. ex-CANDIDATE. There is no mention of her current membership status.

• Advertisement

She was a former candidate...i.e. ex-CANDIDATE. There is no mention of her current membership status.

FG folk seem to be in trouble with the Gardai alot recently. Not a normal party

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Again, this is you using SF to deflect and in a FG thread. No issues, just pointing it out ;)

FG folk seem to be in trouble with the Gardai alot recently. Not a normal party

Their leader is known to the Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Their leader is known to the Garda.

Rumour has it they've all bought flat caps lately

Jailed and justice done.

We know, that's what we are commenting on.

Jailed and justice done.

I wasn't commenting on the justice system, I was commenting on how the media covered it. You just quoted me word for word, so unsure how you were confused.

We know, that's what we are commenting on.

And we are noting that she is now ex-FG, something to be welcomed that a political party won't shelter that kind of person.

Ex Candidate does not = ex Fine Gael.

I wonder if Maria Bailey is just an ex Candidate but still a card carrying FG member?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Ex Candidate does not = ex Fine Gael.

I wonder if Maria Bailey is just an ex Candidate but still a card carrying FG member?

They'll probably put Clarke in the Seanad in a few years, that seems to be the way for their criminal types who don't get elected.

• Advertisement

grayzer75 wrote: »
    They'll probably put Clarke in the Seanad in a few years, that seems to be the way for their criminal types who don't get elected.

Even a fleeting glance at Bailey's twitter account will leave you in no doubt that she's still attached to the teat of Fine Gwael in some shape or form.

Not a doubt about it.

Advertisement