Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to still just do nothing for the next 5 years - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Where did NPHET say anything about the economics of Level 5...taht is not their job.

Leo was talking ****e and trying to thrash them in other words. They gave their thought through and expert advice as they are expected to.

Varadkar did say though that there were metrics agreed between Government and NPHET about going to level 5 and that those metrics hadn't been met. I think one was admissions to hospital or ICU growing rapidly and that we hadn't reached those agreed metrics.

It looks like NPHET made agreements when the 5 level raodmap was defined and then went against them, perhaps because Holohan wasn't there when they were agreed. If that is the case then the government were correct to push back and NPHET had erred in recommending going to level 5. They certainly were wrong to make it public before changing their stance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Where did NPHET say anything about the economics of Level 5...taht is not their job.

Leo was talking ****e and trying to thrash them in other words. They gave their thought through and expert advice as they are expected to.

They didn't, I didn't say they did
    I said Vradakar made a balls of explaining why the government decided the health of the economy merited ticking up to level 3 instead of Nphet's public health only focus that would tick it up to 5
    I don't agree that's a trashing of their public health pandemic only focused conclusions
    It is a very unnecessary public dressing down which should have been kept in the private meeting
    Its very obvious that politicians all of them except pbp want to follow the living with covid Road not the zero covid road

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

We all took "personal responsibility" in the march lockdown which bought you 6 months. And what have Govt done:

Little little increase in ICU capacity
    Still No checks at airports
    Overcrowded classrooms not resolved
    Meat plants open while cases xontinue
    DP still running and no help for residents as case begins to rise again
    No sick pay
    Holiday for TDs and 3 pay rises

A fine 6 month by the Mafia

• Registered Users Posts: 19,553 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

We all took "personal responsibility" in the march lockdown which bought you 6 months. And what have Govt done:

No sick pay

The Berlin bar ensemble didn’t take too much ‘responsibility’ it was reported.

• Advertisement

The Berlin bar ensemble didn’t take too much ‘responsibility’ it was reported.

What's that got to do with the failure of our Govt?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,553 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Failure?

What failure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

As with the covid cluster meat plant the authorities should have closed both until health issues were addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

No sick pay

Let me look at the checklist for this government again:

Health: Lower numbers of cases and deaths currently than the the other country on this island, and lower numbers than the island next door, performing relatively well in Europe. Pretty decent if you ask me.

Economy: Have managed to keep tax take up close to last year, avoiding the collapse seen in the UK. Don't need to take out the begging bowl like Conor Murphy. Again, pretty decent if you ask me.

Food: Managed to keep people fed and supermarkets stocked while managing outbreaks in food production and meat factories. Again, pretty decent.

Public Finances: Maintained promises in areas such as social welfare and public pay, again pretty decent to me.

The one big failure is that they haven't managed to dispel the hysterics of the mobs.

• Advertisement

Bowie wrote: »
    As with the covid cluster meat plant the authorities should have closed both until health issues were addressed.

Good idea, Bowie, top class, paraphrasing Marie Antoinette, are you?

Let them eat veg, instead of meat?

Meat plants are an essential business to feed people. Perhaps you think starving people might get them to finally vote Sinn Fein.

blanch152 wrote: »

Health: Lower numbers of cases and deaths currently than the the other country on this island, and lower numbers than the island next door, performing relatively well in Europe. Pretty decent if you ask me.

Economy: Have managed to keep tax take up close to last year, avoiding the collapse seen in the UK. Don't need to take out the begging bowl like Conor Murphy. Again, pretty decent if you ask me.

Food: Managed to keep people fed and supermarkets stocked while managing outbreaks in food production and meat factories. Again, pretty decent.

Public Finances: Maintained promises in areas such as social welfare and public pay, again pretty decent to me.

The one big failure is that they haven't managed to dispel the hysterics of the mobs.

No sick pay

These are facts, we havnt increased ICU capacity enough, there's no checks on airports, meat plants are starting to see cases rise again. Same with DP, they rejected sick pay

No sick pay

These are facts, we havnt increased ICU capacity enough, there's no checks on airports, meat plants are starting to see cases rise again. Same with DP, they rejected sick pay

That is little more than an incoherent rant.

There is no evidence that checks at airports work, or when they do, that they are the best use of resources in fighting Covid.
    There is no evidence anywhere in the world of significant transmission in classrooms, why should we spend hundreds of millions to private companies owned by Denis O'Brien to supply prefabs (even if it would give Bowie a heart attack:D)
    Close the meat plants and let the people starve is as silly an idea as there is.
    Direct provision is one of those issues I disagree with the Greens on - I have no issue with it, however, there should be better education on the risks of Covid. You get half a mark for that one.
    There is sick benefit, it is on employers to provide sick pay on top of that. Easy and silly opposition is to blame government for something on someone else.
    What holiday for TDs? Pay rises for public servants are due, some of them still below 2008 rates.

Cases are rising, but not as fast as other countries, especially the other country on this island, and the country on the island next door, which shows the government is doing something right. All of the mental health evidence is showing that lockdowns are causing issues, so maintaining the balance between opening up and managing the pandemic is a very delicate one, that it looks like we are getting right at the moment. Time will tell.

Do you think you're on the 'main land'?

MM went looking for money didn't he?

Allowing plants with covid clusters continue to do business is not a plus.

Nice cherry pick.

Do you think LV helps or hinders that?

That is little more than an incoherent rant.

There is no evidence that checks at airports work, or when they do, that they are the best use of resources in fighting Covid.
    There is no evidence anywhere in the world of significant transmission in classrooms, why should we spend hundreds of millions to private companies owned by Denis O'Brien to supply prefabs (even if it would give Bowie a heart attack:D)
    Close the meat plants and let the people starve is as silly an idea as there is.
    Direct provision is one of those issues I disagree with the Greens on - I have no issue with it, however, there should be better education on the risks of Covid. You get half a mark for that one.
    There is sick benefit, it is on employers to provide sick pay on top of that. Easy and silly opposition is to blame government for something on someone else.
    What holiday for TDs? Pay rises for public servants are due, some of them still below 2008 rates.

Cases are rising, but not as fast as other countries, especially the other country on this island, and the country on the island next door, which shows the government is doing something right. All of the mental health evidence is showing that lockdowns are causing issues, so maintaining the balance between opening up and managing the pandemic is a very delicate one, that it looks like we are getting right at the moment. Time will tell.

Ah we are doing better than 2 of the worst performing countries in Europe. Excellent

Ah we are doing better than 2 of the worst performing countries in Europe. Excellent

He's a habit of creating opinions for others and then criticising that made up opinion. It must be like playing chess with yourself and letting yourself win :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

The situation in NI is critical at present re covid.
    Restrictions needed probably, but who will listen anymore.
    We have known in weeks lads and the executive are thinking of introducing extra restrictions on Thursday.
    Why Thursday, why the wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

We have known in weeks lads and the executive are thinking of introducing extra restrictions on Thursday.

NPHET have recommended we go into level five since Mon, Leo and Michaél say no, let's go to level 3 country wide, then probably go to level 5 anyway.

We are in no position to point and question why they're waiting on anything to be fair.

Wonder if Donnelly has watched Leo's rant yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Again, evidence of a failed state and a government who either doesn't care or who don't prioritise the health concerns of this island. They are currently pleading with London to release the necessary funds to up the levels in the most critical areas.
    Northern Ireland is an 'executive' with no fiscal controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

McMurphy wrote: »
    NPHET have recommended we go into level five since Mon, Leo and Michaél say no, let's go to level 3 country wide, then probably go to level 5 anyway.

We are in no position to point and question why they're waiting on anything to be fair.

I'm not really making that point, OK I take yours too.
    But why pick a day in the future, this situation is fluid and surely it needs dealing with now.
    I'm not picking on any particular party either, I just can't see why the woods are hard to see with the trees there in plain sight?

• Advertisement

Again, evidence of a failed state and a government who either doesn't care or who don't prioritise the health concerns of this island. They are currently pleading with London to release the necessary funds to up the levels in the most critical areas.
    Northern Ireland is an 'executive' with no fiscal controls.

No, Francie, don't buy that. Malta, Cyprus, Estonia, all smaller than Northern Ireland, all full members of the European Union, all able to cope with the Covid-19 challenge - one of them even has a divided island. Your statement doesn't stack up in any way.

The issue here is the failure of the Northern government. Numbers have been way up since the middle of last week, yet we might have a decision tomorrow? Government by inaction, it seems.

McMurphy wrote: »

That's a decision, taking a decision is what governments are for.

Sitting on a ditch, waiting for someone else - Dublin, London, whoever - to do the job for them is what Sinn Fein governments are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Sitting on a ditch, waiting for someone else - Dublin, London, whoever - to do the job for them is what Sinn Fein governments are for.

And complaining

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭satguy

FG TD and Minister of State Patrick O'Donovan has called on the Government to examine opening hours of off-licenses and the volume of alcohol that can be purchased at any one time.

"When you see slabs of cans being taken home you know that they are not being taken home for an after-dinner aperitif."

You gotta love these guys,, all while they are 3 deep at the Dáil Bar.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1007/1169978-covid19-coronavirus-alcohol-sales/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

satguy wrote: »
    FG TD and Minister of State Patrick O'Donovan has called on the Government to examine opening hours of off-licenses and the volume of alcohol that can be purchased at any one time.

"When you see slabs of cans being taken home you know that they are not being taken home for an after-dinner aperitif."

3 deep you say?

No, Francie, don't buy that. Malta, Cyprus, Estonia, all smaller than Northern Ireland, all full members of the European Union, all able to cope with the Covid-19 challenge - one of them even has a divided island. Your statement doesn't stack up in any way.

The issue here is the failure of the Northern government. Numbers have been way up since the middle of last week, yet we might have a decision tomorrow? Government by inaction, it seems.

The occupied portion of the Irish province of Ulster is not a country Blanch. Only one country on the island.

Are you not aware or playing dumb? SF are not the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Bowie wrote: »
    The occupied portion of the Irish province of Ulster is not a country Blanch. Only one country on the island.

I get the notion his version of Ireland ends at the M50 and even that might be stretching it.

satguy wrote: »

Dosnt that gob****es brother own a pub? Id say his brother only serves his customers the allowed units per day and looks after their health alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭satguy

Traffic jams 8 kilometres long on roads out of Dublin as Phase 3 sees hundreds of garda checkpoints around country.

If you just say your going off to a golfing dinner they just wave you through..

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5994210/traffic-jams-8-kilometres-roads-dublin-garda-checkpoints/

Advertisement