Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to still just do nothing for the next 5 years - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

christy c wrote: »
    I asked you three questions, which you have run away from. You even said you answered my question singular.

I dont think that FG drive EU wide rates, that's your imagination

Am I missing something, or was that not the point:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

McMurphy wrote: »

Yes you are missing something, the tweet referenced 10 year bond yields.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Govt policy drives the rates countries can borrow at though.
    Saying otherwise is wrong.
    So basically as its been a FG led govt here since the crash when our rates were astronomically high, yes, FG are the cause of our low rates.

smurgen wrote: »
    Could be squeeky bum time for Simon "Covid18" Harris though. Looks like the deaths in the care homes is being looked into. All those unanswered calls emails and letters. The clown all but had his out of office on.

https://www.thejournal.ie/nursing-homes-inquiry-committee-5228750-Oct2020/

You’d think from your post that Simon Harris personally sent people to their deaths aka gas chambers or firing squad. The start of the pandemic coincided with an entry into the unknown. No country in the world could have anticipated this and have been 100% prepared. The fact is that the authorities needed act fast and free up hospital beds. They genuinely believed that nursing homes were the better option. Hindsight tells us otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Govt policy drives the rates countries can borrow at though.
    Saying otherwise is wrong.
    So basically as its been a FG led govt here since the crash when our rates were astronomically high, yes, FG are the cause of our low rates.

Anyone can drive rates down if you create record breaking crisis in health and housing. I wouldn't be puffing out my chest about the suffering inflicted since FF cheerled by FG drove us off the cliff.

• Advertisement

Yes you are missing something, the tweet referenced 10 year bond yields.

It also mentions Greece's rates how are they in comparison with Ireland's?

Your man Richmond is certainly being laughed right out of it there this morning by the looks of things.

Anyone can drive rates down if you create record breaking crisis in health and housing. I wouldn't be puffing out my chest about the suffering inflicted since FF cheerled by FG drove us off the cliff.

You'll fix none of them if your rates are through the roof either.
    Hence the wait for some economic stability before the system could begin to cope with housing again.
    Can you imagine mortgage rates if we couldn't borrow at low interest?
    Banks pass all this stuff down and it sets the precedent for the activity in the sector.
    We had 5 years of virtual no builds because of high interest rates.
    Wading in now and being stupid and doing something to drive up our borrowing rates would be catastrophic, especially for housing which SF seem so keen at throwing billions of borrowed money at.

Your man Richmond is certainly being laughed right out of it there this morning by the looks of things.

What are Greeces rates in comparison to Ireland?

Richmond being laughed out of it by whom, SF fans? And do you think Government policy does not affect borrowing rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

It's the playbook from Christy . Keep making vague claims of running away from questions and engaging in meaningless pedantry to deflect. We're wide to it Murphy! Thank God I don't have to defend these FG clowns. Sounds exhausting. Like Sisyphus forever pushing the rock up the hill as punishment for his deceitfulness.

You'll fix none of them if your rates are through the roof either.
    Hence the wait for some economic stability before the system could begin to cope with housing again.
    Can you imagine mortgage rates if we couldn't borrow at low interest?
    Banks pass all this stuff down and it sets the precedent for the activity in the sector.
    We had 5 years of virtual no builds because of high interest rates.
    Wading in now and being stupid and doing something to drive up our borrowing rates would be catastrophic, especially for housing which SF seem so keen at throwing billions of borrowed money at.

You aren't dealing with the fact that 'record breaking crisis was created' in order to drive down our rates. I.E. These problems, as well as others, were made worse - people sarcrificed etc.

• Advertisement

What are Greeces rates in comparison to Ireland?

Richmond being laughed out of it by whom, SF fans? And do you think Government policy does not affect borrowing rates?

I'm not sure if he's an "SF fan" or not, but it would appear to me he's rightfully qualified to question Neale. :D

IMG-20201010-114052.jpg

http://www.aidanregan.com/
    I am an Associate Professor at the School of Politics and International Relations at University College Dublin (UCD), and Director of the Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence in the New Political Economy of Europe at UCD's Dublin European Institute (DEI). I am also Director of Graduate Master Studies at UCD's School of Politics.

Prior to UCD, I was a postdoctoral fellow at the Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies in Germany (MPIfG), and a Max Weber Fellow at the European University Institute (EUI) in Italy.

I completed my PhD in Public Policy at the College of Social Science at UCD. During this time I also worked as a researcher at the Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Labour Studies (AIAS), at the University of Amsterdam.

My research is focused on the comparative political economy of Europe. In particular, I focus on the comparative politics of the eurozone, iabour relations, and housing markets. More recently my research has focused on the comparative political economy of growth regimes, with a particular focus on foriegn direct investment, tax avoidance, wealth and income inequality.

My work has appeared in various social scientific journals including Perspectives on Politics, Politics and Society, New Political Economy, the Journal for Common Market Studies, European Journal of Industrial Relations, Comparative European Politics, Socio-Economic Review, Intereconomics, among other outlets.

I am a network organiser at the Society for the Advancement of Socio-Economics (SASE), and the Council for European Studies (CES).

I teach undergraduate and postgraduate modules, including Capitalism and Democracy, the Politics of Inequality, and the Political Economy of Europe.

https://twitter.com/Aidan_Regan/status/1314517390986809344?s=19

smurgen wrote: »
    It's the playbook from Christy . Keep making vague claims of running away from questions and engaging in meaningless pedantry to deflect. We're wide to it Murphy! Thank God I don't have to defend these FG clowns. Sounds exhausting. Like Sisyphus forever pushing the rock up the hill as punishment for his deceitfulness.

Vague claims? Why didn't you answer my questions? And then you accuse me of running away.

You aren't dealing with the fact that 'record breaking crisis was created' in order to drive down our rates. I.E. These problems, as well as others, were made worse - people sarcrificed etc.

It'd have been a lot worse but for it.
    People suffer everywhere for govt mistakes, are the all millionaires everywhere else?

I'm not sure if he's an "SF fan" or not, but it would appear to me he's rightfully qualified to question Neale. :D

IMG-20201010-114052.jpg

http://www.aidanregan.com/

I dont see Ireland's rates mentioned on what you posted. So I will ask you the same questions smurgen legged it from:

What are Ireland rates now? And what were they in the years gone by? Why the difference? (between us and Greece)

I dont see Ireland's rates mentioned on what you posted. So I will ask you the same questions smurgen legged it from:

What are Ireland rates now? And what were they in the years gone by? Why the difference? (between us and Greece)

These things are not my forte so to speak, but from what I can see Ireland's is at 0.78 v Greece's 0.8 is this correct?

What's your point?

This is what he is claiming.
    The favourable financing conditions have very little to do with domestic Irish politics. It's all about the ECB.

Greek 10 year bonds are currently trading at 0.8 percent.

Are you disputing his claim?

These things are not my forte so to speak, but from what I can see Ireland's is at 0.78 v Greece's 0.8 is this correct?

Where are you getting the .78 from? There was negative rate recently. The difference being explained by government policy (assuming the .8% is correct which it may not be).

[quote="McMurphy;114883464"
    Are you disputing his claim?[/quote]

Missed the edit, yes I disagree that Government policy has very little to do with borrowing rates. Look at ireland v Greece over the last number of years for example. It stabilised somewhat after throwing out those spoofers Syriza

Where are you getting the .78 from? There was negative rate recently. The difference being explained by government policy (assuming the .8% is correct which it may not be).

This is what popped up on Google.

IMG-20201010-115816.jpg

Same site is saying the Greek 10 year bond yields now at 0.86%

What's your point?

This is what he is claiming.

Are you disputing his claim?

He is asking why is Greece's so low, is it because the became troika compliant or what?
    I remember a certain party bringing their finance minister over here to celebrate a victory at one time, hands clasped on stage because of a now failed policy.
    Where's he now and how did that go?
    The writing was on the wall for SFs finance policies back then.

It'd have been a lot worse but for it.
    People suffer everywhere for govt mistakes, are the all millionaires everywhere else?

:) So glib, so FF FG.

You reap what you sow and the way they drove down the rate will have consequences. Hopefully the end of the toxic power swap.

• Advertisement

:) So glib, so FF FG.

You reap what you sow and the way they drove down the rate will have consequences. Hopefully the end of the toxic power swap.

Fair enough I suppose ré the policies that got us here.
    I dread the day, not for myself tg, but for the generation with huge mortgages, that the borrowing rates go up.
    SFs borrowing forecast from their alternative budget will help to drive these rates up and when they do it will create homelessness and decrease building again.
    There's a price to pay for borrowing, let no one tell you differently or convince you otherwise.
    When you borrow money you give control of your spending and interest rates to your creditors.
    Have a good day, I'm off shopping.

Missed the edit, yes I disagree that Government policy has very little to do with borrowing rates. Look at ireland v Greece over the last number of years for example. It stabilised somewhat after throwing out those spoofers Syriza

As I said, wouldn't be my forte tbh, but maybe the professor is wrong, and you're right, maybe he's correct and you're wrong, maybe a little bit from columns A+B combined.

I also don't know if he's a "Sinn Fein fan", but regardless of whether he is, or is not, he certainly seems to disagree with Neale Richmond trying to claim credit where it's (according to him) not due.

As I said, wouldn't be my forte tbh, but maybe the professor is wrong, and you're right, maybe he's correct and you're wrong, maybe a little bit from columns A+B combined.

I also don't know if he's a "Sinn Fein fan", but regardless of whether he is, or is not, he certainly seems to disagree with Neale Richmond trying to claim credit where it's (according to him) not due.

Yeah, everyone including the professor can be wrong. No one here has given reasons why they think he's right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

The same lads were trying to claim repeal the 8th and the civil partnership passing. Now that you mention it the sun rose all the time while they were at the steering wheel. Is there anything these lads can't do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Think you are making a mistake by trying to apply logic or maths to Sinn Feins sticky goody bag of a "budget" . Do you really think that a mob who murdered their way to power in the North are concerned to apply any intelligence to their "budget" over and above what might attract votes? The long term plan might be to send the army in to the ECB as "peacekeepers" when it all collapses. Thickos and chancers

Truthvader wrote: »
    Think you are making a mistake by trying to apply logic or maths to Sinn Feins sticky goody bag of a "budget" . Do you really think that a mob who murdered their way to power in the North are concerned to apply any intelligence to their "budget" over and above what might attract votes? The long term plan might be to send the army in to the ECB as "peacekeepers" when it all collapses. Thickos and chancers

What has any of that got to do with the topic at hand here?

A fg rep tweeted something that has been laughed at, and an actual
    professor of Associate Professor at the School of Politics and International Relations at University College Dublin (UCD), and Director of the Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence in the New Political Economy of Europe at UCD's Dublin European Institute (DEI). I am also Director of Graduate Master Studies at UCD's School of Politics.
    dismissed, but you have so little left in your handbag you have to fall back to your pretty much default response to everything and say something about the "RA", and the troubles despite the GFA being over twenty years old at this stage.

Get up the yard with that auld shyte apprentice blanch. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

What has any of that got to do with the topic at hand here?

A fg rep tweeted something that has been laughed at, and an actual dismissed, but you have so little left in your handbag you have to fall back to your pretty much default response to everything and say something about the "RA", and the troubles despite the GFA being over twenty years old at this stage.

Get up the yard with that auld shyte apprentice blanch. :pac:

Eh....... Topic was effect on interest rates of Sinn Fein's looney budget. You dont decide what views are allowed. My view is that applying rational analysis to a programm only designed to harvest popularity and votes is a wasted and misguided effort. Feel free to continue to promote Pearse as some kind of financial wizard if you wish

Truthvader wrote: »
    Eh....... Topic was effect on interest rates of Sinn Fein's looney budget.

The topic was how a FG rep in a FG thread (imagine that) tweeted something, and a professor and Director of the Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence in the New Political Economy of Europe at UCD's Dublin European Institute (DEI). Dismissed his tweet.

Yeah, some tried to steer the topic towards Sinn Fein (including yourself) but that's par the course anyway.
    You dont decide what views are allowed. My view is that applying rational analysis to a programm only designed to harvest popularity and votes is a wasted and misguided effort.

No indeed I don't - but I do have the right to point and jeer when I see deflection.
    Feel free to continue to promote Pearse as some kind of financial wizard if you wish

You see - that is just proof of your obsession, I never mentioned pearse Doherty or Sinn Fein, as I said we were discussing the fg lads tweet getting dismissed.

So I repeat, get up the yard with your obsessive IRA ranting, you're coming across as a fcukin bigger loon than the now deceased Willie Fraser.

He'll never be cold while your churning his script truth.

The topic was how a FG rep in a FG thread (imagine that) tweeted something, and a professor and Director of the Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence in the New Political Economy of Europe at UCD's Dublin European Institute (DEI). Dismissed his tweet.

I agree with this summation, but not one person could say why they thought he was right. So I will personally dismiss his tweet (or laugh him out of it as you put it), and suggest everyone else should too. People need to be careful with what they read online, especially social media.

• Advertisement

I agree with this summation, but not one person could say why they thought he was right. So I will personally dismiss his tweet (or laugh him out of it as you put it), and suggest everyone else should too. People need to be careful with what they read online, especially social media.

I agree with you also Christy, and you've as much right to dismiss him as he has to dismiss Richmond.

What we weren't discussing though was the provos and the troubles, it is a real shame that some posters continually get away with derailing thread's with the same auld worn out shyte, it's like they didn't see the damage the continuous deflection to "the RA" did in the last election, and that Sinn Fein received the highest vote count from all age groups under 65, meaning most people under that age don't give a shyte anyway.

Fcukin Willie Fraser wannabes.

Advertisement